Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2019, 10:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
....silent with respect to vibrations. Does that mean there is no issue of vibrations? Or is it because you are yet to cross the 100 mark!
Thanks. I have mentioned about vibration on the 1st post itself, in "my riding experience of the 400 kms" point 6. It's only at a certain gear/rpm combination, need to figure out exact area. Rear is visible above 100, I don't find any issue. It may also happen based on excess tire pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
....a gentleman with his family, stepped out of their Merc and into the showroom and the other sales people were literally tripping over..
I went to the dealer in Uber, they didn't know I have an X1. So I think it may be a feeling or some sales person might judge you partially. Tough to comment.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
There are plenty of reviews done by experts on how good this bike is and videos on how it performs in the city and highway. I am not going to get into any of those details, but prefer to keep this space as a general guideline on many things that an ownership experience would come across.
Thanks for sharing shajufx, I like your style of writing - keeping it short and sweet.

Quote:
This is my first geared bike in life so I was reserved about the power requirement, thereby limited my choices upto 300cc.
Wow, that's something. Congratulations on the red beauty. I too am primarily a non-geared guy, who had dreams of getting a geared bike one day. But today I don't feel the need for a bike so I reserve my appreciation to ogling pictures of bikes on Instagram.

Quote:
1. Kawasaki Ninja 300 : I liked everything about this bike but an upright sitting position was important for me, so it was off the list.
A green Ninja would look nice, but the Red BMW is just too good in front of it in terms of eye-catching in the first glance.

Quote:
Now the reasons why I picked the BMW 310 R (Racing Red)
Great choice in colour there. Looks great, especially when viewed from the sides along with the BMW roundrels.

Quote:
My Temp registration expired on 27th, Tusker failed to give me the permanent number within 30 days. I contacted the Motorrad India HQ and assistance was offered. Finally on the 31st day RTO number was messaged to me. Let's move on with the ownership experience and other related topics below.
Could this be because of the bike being the first of it's kind being registered in the RTO? Usually the RTO process doesn't take much time, could be only due to this reason. Or the dealership's RTO liason was lethargic.

Quote:
First service is to be done at 1000 and the following one at 10,000 which is pretty good interval compared to many other bikes in the market.
An almost car like interval. I've heard some of my friends complain of short service intervals on their bikes.

Quote:
1. Engine stalls easily at RPM under 2000, so one needs to keep it above the 2000+ band, specially at bumper to bumper and speed breakers. A 'creep' function would have been a big bonus within city as this bike is designed for urban conditions. But I am not sure of the possibility on a single cylinder.
This is surprising. I haven't heard of such stalling in other bikes and the 2000 rpm feels high IMHO.

Quote:
8. I have taken 2 rides towards the Airport on this, the bike is planted at speeds above 80. There is no moment of doubt or fear at any point.
Good to know. Such bikes can reach cruising speeds very fast and being stable and well planted is a must.

Quote:
11. Lastly, the most feel good factor : Other riders always check top to bottom of this bike when you are at a signal or passing through someone. It has an exclusive feel to it. The logo on both sides are big enough to attract attention. Lot of people already know BMW bikes are expensive, not many know 310 is the cheapest from the brand
Best feeling ever. Always nice to see other people taking a second look on our rides. Wishing you thousands of happy kilometres with the BMW!

Quote:
How I removed the Saree Guard...
Wow, what a different that makes. IMHO, there should be no saree guard on bikes, especially ones that look so good. Who sits sideways on such bikes these days? Good thing you got rid of it ASAP.

Quote:
Things bought as first priority...
Great to see you giving good attention to safety gears including helmet, jacket and even gloves. Also, do let me know the review of the cycling gloves as I was planning to pick them for cycling.

Last edited by blackwasp : 4th March 2019 at 11:53.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
....Or the dealership's RTO liaison was lethargic.
.....I haven't heard of such stalling in other bikes and the 2000 rpm feels high....let me know the review of the cycling gloves as I was planning to pick them for cycling.
Thank you so much, thanks for taking the time to multi quote
- RTO agent of the dealer was the culprit behind all the delays.
- Idle RPM is 1500 usually, engine feels smooth within the 2500 to 3000 RPM bumper to bumper kind of movement. Any full clutch release under 2000, there is a high probability to stall.
- Btwin gloves model what I have mentioned is one of the best from their entire line up. I had gone to Decathalon to try all their variations. This was the best but they didn't have my size, so I ordered from Amazon.

Today's morning rounds (iPhone image)
I feel the rim strips give lot of character to the wheels !
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-gk.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 4th March 2019 at 12:21.
shajufx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
- Btwin gloves model what I have mentioned is one of the best from their entire line up. I had gone to Decathalon to try all their variations. This was the best but they didn't have my size, so I ordered from Amazon.
Thanks. A trip to Decathlon is just futile due to all the stuff I end up picking up that is unnecessary. Will try to try these the next time I'm there to service my cycle.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:49   #20
BHPian

Congrats buddy! The bike looks really good in this shade of red.

I live in the same area. Will definitely wave if I see a red 310R

Lot of people in Yelahanka seem to be getting into riding. In my apartment alone, there is an Africa Twin, a Striple RS, Multistrada and a G310GS. We've formed an apartment riding group and go on breakfast rides together
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 21:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
More thoughts will be shared as we cross more kilometers on this beauty !
Congratulations shajufx! Wishing you many more kilometers of safe and happy riding. I loved your crisp write up.

Any particular reason why you did not opt for the 310 GS version?
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 22:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
...I live in the same area. Will definitely wave if I see...
Thanks. I am close to Hebbal lake. Love to catch up with other groups as the 310 group is a small number here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
....Any particular reason why you did not opt for the 310 GS version?
Thank you so much. I found the 310GS to be taller than my comfort zone. I am 5' 9" but preferred under 800mm seat height. Also 310GS is designed as an offroader, which is least of my interest at the age of 47
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 18:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

More accessories added for peaceful rides

Few riders in the group have reported battery drain and other starting issues, so I decided to add this jumper cable to my list of things
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-jumper.jpg

Group rides and solo rides will anyway require a bluetooth communication device and I went ahead with the Sena 20s Evo based on recommendations. Will be giving an update on the installation and real life usage next week. Its from Amazon US, saving around 5k from the price here.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-sena3.jpg
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 17:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....Will be giving an update on the installation and real life usage next week...
Sena 20s Evo Installation and First Impression
Let pictures do the talking here :

The product as it arrived. Its a Dual pack as my friend also wanted one and there is a considerable saving on dual package on Amazon US. It costed us Rs.30000 for 2 units, which means 15k per person. In India it retails for close to 20k regardless of dual or single pack.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3853.jpg

Entire content displayed here, you can see all items in 2 numbers.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3854.jpg

A single unit items put together on the table.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3856.jpg

MT Helmet with all its paddings removed.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3859.jpg

Unit installed successfully.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3861.jpg

Bottom view of the unit, that is the ambience button.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3862.jpg

Another view of the unit. Its compact and stylish.
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-img_3863.jpg

Since this is not a detailed bluetooth review, I will put few points as summary:

1. Excellent build quality, light weight, soft to touch, click feel on every button
2. Audio quality is superb. Music from the phone is very similar to my Bose SoundLink wireless unit.
3. FM Radio is very fast to scan and save as per our liking
4. Phone voice clarity is perfect for a rider, adjustable volume by touch of the knob dial
5. Mic is crystal clear and the caller will not know that you are talking from a helmet in a quiet atmosphere. Road noise and exhaust noise yet to be checked.
6. Intercom facility is yet to be checked. This unit claims to be compatible with more than 90% of the devices available in the market.

I will update further if there is anything interesting noticed during rides, specially group rides
shajufx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 12:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Head Light Upgrade to OSRAM Cool Blue Intense
Although Osram Night breaker was my 1st preference, I thought of trying the Cool Blue Intense first. This bulb claims to be 20% more light, 4200 Kelvin, pure white output at a compromise of less life. Anyway I paid Amazon for a single bulb (Rs.470) but they delivered a dual pack. No idea if they are desperate to clear the old stock, as the date of packaging is printed as 10/2016

Installation was simple and straightforward, no hassles. As usual, another DIY project ! Let pics do the talking :

Pack as it arrived
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os1.jpg

Headlight cluster opened (only 2 screws on both sides)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os2.jpg

Close up of the rubber protection
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os3.jpg

Bulb with its latch
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os4.jpg

Low Beam
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os5.jpg

High Beam
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os6.jpg

Low Beam (notice the reflection on the mud guard)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os7.jpg

High Beam (notice the reflection on the mud guard)
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os8.jpg

Front view after installation
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os9.jpg

Old Philips on the left, New Osram (unused) on the right
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-os10.jpg

Final words on the bulb : Looks brighter and whiter, will get an accurate opinion only in the night. After all, it's just Rs.470 end of the day.
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

1000 kms and the 1st Service :

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-1000kms.jpg
The day has come faster than I thought. Successfully crossed 1000 kms without a single issue on any part of the bike (touch wood). Never ripped it like a mad man till date as instructed on the handbook. Full throttle was never attempted even once, because I take instructions seriously

Booking a service appointment with the dealer was butter smooth. I messaged my trust worthy Alwin (already a friend by now). He fixed the slot for me today (Monday, 18th March 2019). I reached the dealer at 11am. Expressed my wish not to lose second half of day, and I am impressed. Work was completed by 1.30pm. Details of the work and cost below:

1. Gasket Ring = 72.15
2. Oil Filter = 323.97
3. Engine Oil (Advantec Pro) = 1996
4. O-ring = 11.51
Total = 2404 (including 18% tax)

1. Programming control units = 672.60
2. Cleaning = 448.40
3. BMW Running-in check = 3138.80
Total = 3139 (including 18% tax)

Grand Total = 5543

Many riders reported after the 1st service that the gear shift became butter smooth, engine became more responsive and ride became softer etc. I didn't find any difference in the bumper to bumper traffic. May be the bike has already become smooth in the 1000 kms.

Next service is at 10,000 kms. Thats a very good time gap. Since the dealer is at the heart of Bangalore city, spending the 2 to 3 hours of service is very easy. I visited Biere Club (50 meters from dealer) with another rider and enjoyed the Pepper Chicken and Chilled Water. Half day well spent !

Next action on the list is installing some basic protection on the bike like crash guard, front and rear sliders etc. Considering brands like SW-Motech and Hepco & Becker. Since 310 R is a street bike, any excess fittings will kill the look of this entire bike, so I am looking for basic options of good quality.

Key chain that reached from Aliexpress after it rounded all over Asia for 45 days
Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-keychain.jpg
shajufx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 21:58   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the informative thread. I wanted to ask about the engine stall issue that you mentioned. I took a test ride of the 310r and 310gs today and noticed the exact same thing on both the bikes. The sales person mentioned that its rectified/improved post more usage and servicing. Do you notice any change in behaviour with usage and/or after the service
Old 29th March 2019, 17:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Thanks for the informative thread. I wanted to ask about the engine stall issue that you mentioned. I took a test ride of the 310r and 310gs today and noticed the exact same thing on both the bikes. The sales person mentioned that its rectified/improved post more usage and servicing. Do you notice any change in behaviour with usage and/or after the service
Sorry for the delay in replying. If you quote part of previous posts, it would get notified via email, otherwise I see it only when I log in here

About the stalling, its all about getting used to the bike than any technical issue. I had my stalling issue in the 1st week and it became just once in 15-20 days. Now its very very rare. If I am stuck in peak traffic with lot of engine noise around me, I tend not to hear the growl of my own engine, that's where we happen to drop the RPM without knowing, stalling follows.

Best way to avoid is keeping the RPM above 2500 at all slow movements, specially speed breakers, steep incline etc. Idle RPM is usually 1500+, so its just a minor tap on the acceleration, moves smooth as butter.

Hope that helps
Old 29th March 2019, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

3D Gel Plates are here, What a Beauty !!

It was a tough decision on what type of plates I need to fix. Browsed through all the IND and plain ones available around, but felt I need something unique. A friend of mine suggested Turboplates, Pune and their Instagram account. Loved the designs they post and it was an easy decision to try it out.

They usually print the brand logo, model number and even the owner's name below the rear plates as per requirement, but I avoided all of them by passing my own personalised design with the tiranga strip on top. i avoided drilling holes, instead used 3M double tape to keep them in place. Done around 250 kms ride with it, stays as solid as rock

Don't you think it's lovely ?
Costs Rs.2000 for 2 plates and 10 days to produce, ship and deliver.

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-gel.jpg

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-gel1.jpg

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-gel2.jpg

Ownership Review : BMW G 310 R-gel3.jpg
shajufx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 21:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
More accessories added for peaceful rides

Few riders in the group have reported battery drain and other starting issues, so I decided to add this jumper cable to my list of things
Attachment 1856379
At the outset Congrats and best wishes for many many enjoyable miles on your wonderful bike.

For the battery drain/starting issues, while the jump start cable is good to have, for bikers I would recommend carrying the Starter Power Bank (similar to the one shown below) which not only starts motorcycle, but can also start an 8-cylinder car few times on a single charge. Its small and can be carried easier than the jump start cable. Besides in emergency it can also charge your laptop and other devices. I believe now it may be difficult to get one from USA due to new Airplane safety issues with power banks, but few brands are available locally in India thru Amazon etc.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...3-power-supply
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks