Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hero MotoCorp sets up R&D centre in Germany

Hero MotoCorp has set up a Research and Development (R&D) centre in Germany.

Hero MotoCorp sets up R&D centre in Germany-heromotocorplogovector.png

The Hero Tech Center Germany GmbH is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hero MotoCorp Limited and is located at Stephanskirchen, near Munich. It will operate in tandem with the Center of Innovation and Technology (CIT), Jaipur - the company's global R&D hub.

Dr. Markus Braunsperger, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at Hero MotoCorp will oversee operations at the new R&D centre. The facility will focus on developing new concepts and future technologies in collaboration with CIT, Jaipur.

The Hero Tech Center Germany will also be the base of operations for the Hero MotorSports Team Rally. Here, Hero's motorsport team will facilitate all rally participation activities, including new product development.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Hero MotoCorp sets up R&D centre in Germany

Good to see an Indian two-wheeler manufacturer investing in EU and that too to tap the local talent there.

This is surely going to help Hero if they get the right folks onboard which is relatively difficult in Germany but doable nonetheless.

Also, letting a German look over German operations is a way to go when it comes to driving technology and innovation initiative.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 15:22   #3
BHPian

Finally, hero group is waking up to technology driven product development post it's separation from Honda. We may be able to see higher displacement motorcycles from them. It's also a bit disappointing to note that we are still reliant on "auslander" ( that's German for foreigners) for tech development. We are still a long way to go before we can see a all Indian superbike/car.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 19:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great - so now they will do research in Germany on how to design new stickers on their existing bikes ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 20:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

All those years of License Raj to help shield our manufacturers from the onslaught of technically advanced foreign manufacturers from setting up base here while hypothetically hoping that it would allow our manufacturers to catch up with the rest of the world. Alas, somehow decades later the local manufacturers would rather employ foreign nationals than hire our IIT graduates who they will only remember when they head a multinational corporation. That or tie up with an established brand and borrow their tech with your label on it in exchange for some monetary compensation.

Sad really.
I may not be big on EVs so far, but what Chetan Maini accomplished with the Reva, or the guys down at Ather Energy or Tork or the tens of other small automotive startups who are showcasing their talents locally have found more respect from me than these established manufacturers will ever get. You'd think a big multi-billion dollar manufacturer would atleast take a small gamble by letting our indigenous engineers go nuts on a potential product concept much like the Japanese manufacturers do by employing 20 something old freshers from Universities and putting them in the real world of production vehicle development or even the top tier motorsport category even to see how you will fare under pressure(HRC does this).
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 23:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, sticker job or not, me thinks this is a good move. If used well.

I have a small feeling that Hero will use this new hub for R&D in Electric motorcycles. That is going to be the next big thing. If Hero does this, it will have a headstart over many other manufacturers.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Super news. While we always want ze German machines in India, great to see an Indian company setting up an R&D center there.

I also notice that the same will house Hero's motorsport team. This should make it easier for them to cover the European Circuit.

Wish Hero all the best in this!
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if how many here on TeamBHP follow the Dakar rally. In this years' Dakar Rally two bikes sponsored by Hero Motorsports Team Rally in technical collaboration with Speedbrain finished the grueling and notorious Rallye Dakar at a respectable 9th and 17th Position rode by Oriol Mena and Joaquim Rodrigues. Unfortunately the third rider our very own CS Santosh riding for the same team had a crash and had to bow out of the rally.

Now why am I saying all this. It is interesting to know that Speedbrain is a German company is also housed in Stephanskirchen. Looks like Hero has some serious considerations for developing newer models whilst using its modest yet respectable success in finishing the Dakar Rally.

As I mentioned about Dakar Rally another peer of Hero Motocorp named TVS came in at a respectable 22nd and 25th position with riders Adrian Metge and Michael Metge, while our fellow Indian Aravind Prabhakar came in at a respectable 37th position. TVS is in technical collaboration with Sherco of France and Spain.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 1st February 2019 at 12:20.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Looks like Hero has some serious considerations for developing newer models whilst using its modest yet respectable success in finishing the Dakar Rally.
You have high hopes!

I bet they would have just made CS Santosh the brand ambassador for the XPulse 200 when it finally arrives - had he finished the rally.

PS: Full respect to him. Great rider.
Old 1st February 2019, 20:19   #10
BHPian

A step in the right way, going by how good the RE twins turned out to be, Indian bikes need European inputs. The development teams there have much more experience in building bikes for international markets. The RE development team had some really talented people leading the Crew.
Old 1st February 2019, 20:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You have high hopes!
Dude I ain't no having hopes of them launching full blown Rallye Dakar Spec bikes in India. But from me driving my Mitsubishi Lancer since past 7 years has made me aware that Mitsubishi does use some of its WRC and Rallye Dakar pedigree on their street cars to an extent and same goes for Pajero SFX 2.8 which is owned by my cousin. Who wouldn't want Hero Motocorp to use their Rallye Dakar pedigree and experience in their Xpulse and other models? Atleast I would
Quote:
I bet they would have just made CS Santosh the brand ambassador for the XPulse 200 when it finally arrives - had he finished the rally.
Nothing wrong with the sponsor company capitalising on their riders, there are many motoring world examples of companies using their riders' fame to promote their products. If you remember RE used CSS as their lead test rider for Himalayan while taking valuable inputs from him during the development.
Quote:
PS: Full respect to him. Great rider.
Truly among a Billion plus Indians there is one who successfully entered Rallye Dakar a few years back and is still riding, offlately joined by Aravind Prabhakar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks