Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 20:33   #1306
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

I currently own a Royal Enfield Classic 350 and all I can say is that this bike is not for me. I am fed up of the vibrations and the poor performance (w.r.t. half priced 150CC motorcycles).
I just don't feel a connection with this machine and have decided to upgrade to a parallel twin motorcycle.

I am not in a hurry and had decided to wait for the new Benelli 302S and the Yamaha R3. But then, I took a test ride of the Continental GT650 and my descision to never buy a RE again went flying out the window.
I am just not satisfied with the tyres and rims on the Conti GT and have decided to upgrade them immediately. I just have a few doubts about the same:

1. Will downsizing the rims to 17 inches cause a significant enough error in speedo readings?

2. Will I be able to accomodate 150mm or 160mm section tyres without any swingarm modifications?

3. Will the alloys on the triumph street twin suffice for this bike? I can't risk running a bike which has no centre stand on tube tyres.
dr_davis97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 06:14   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post
1. Will downsizing the rims to 17 inches cause a significant enough error in speedo readings?

There will be an error, but that can be worked out. But the stance will look weird. I tried it on my RE 350 with Karizma 18 Inchers and it just did not look right.

2. Will I be able to accomodate 150mm or 160mm section tyres without any swingarm modifications?

Why do you want to go that wide?

3. Will the alloys on the triumph street twin suffice for this bike? I can't risk running a bike which has no centre stand on tube tyres.

Centre Stand can be added. You can also look for a Tubeless tyre conversion kit for spoked wheels.
Reply to your questions.
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 12:13   #1308
BHPian

Quote:

2. Will I be able to accommodate 150mm or 160mm section tyres without any swingarm modifications?
Why do you want to move to such broader tyres on the GT? For aesthetics? Apart from that, I don't see a real purpose to shift to a wider section.

Quote:
I think RE might already have alloys as a part of the genuine accessory list. Skim through the earlier pages on this thread and you'll see the list of available accessories.

Anyway, if you are picking up any new bike, I'd suggest you use the original set up for a while before upgrading. The more you use the bike, the more you'll get an understanding of what kind of mods you want to do to your bike. Don't go by the images of the mods folks have done to the bikes on the internet. What is suitable for them won't necessarily be an apt set up for you.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:42   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
same:

Not much, and it can be re-calibrated.
But how do you plan to downsize? Even if the alloys are launched by RE,they will be 18''. Only option you have is, to use the same hub with a smaller rim and get the spokes redone.

I guess 150 would be the maximum, because from what I have seen, a 150 tyre hardly has any clearance from the chain cover and a very small from the swing arm.

But why do you plan on doing it? For the looks? Or you found the stock tyre insufficient?

3. Will the alloys on the triumph street twin suffice for this bike? I can't risk running a bike which has no center stand on tube tyres.:
The hub design for the Triumph and RE would definitely be different. So it won't fit.
Also, the Interceptor's center stand is a direct fit on the GT.
I have heard that the new GTs are coming with a center stand factory fitted. (Not absolutely sure) Confirm with your dealer.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:53   #1310
BHPian

Royal Enfield Updates Interceptor 650, GT650 With Clear Lens Headlight

https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-roy...ens-headlight/
Proxima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:02   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Royal Enfield Updates Interceptor 650, GT650 With Clear Lens Headlight

https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-roy...ens-headlight/
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
The only new feature I noticed after the price hike was the clear lens headlight cluster.
This is a old news, after the 1st September price hike, the twins came with clear lens headlamps.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:08   #1312
BHPian

50 mm Risers installed - Stock cables sufficed for a rise of 2 inches. Comfortable to ride.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191021_183025.jpg

Stance comparison viz-a-viz the Bonny.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191021_170353.jpg
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:22   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
50 mm Risers installed - Stock cables sufficed for a rise of 2 inches. Comfortable to ride.
Where did you procure these from?
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:25   #1314
BHPian

A friend made them for me in his workshop. Material used - SS.
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:16   #1315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
A friend made them for me in his workshop. Material used - SS.
Leverage is not your friend when it comes to such accessories, I hope you've used reputed(unbreakable, high tensile) bolts for securing the handlebar clamps in place.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:57   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Leverage is not your friend when it comes to such accessories, I hope you've used reputed(unbreakable, high tensile) bolts for securing the handlebar clamps in place.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
Hi Ashwin,
Thanks for the concern. Yes. Got them verified from a friend who is in this business.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:59   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Not a secret, but looks like the alloy wheel and auxiliary LED lamps are the next set of accessories to be offered on the 650 twins. Looking forward to the alloys and also hoping that it wont be the same design as the alloys being offered in the Classic and Thunderbird range of bikes.

Source - https://indianautosblog.com/royal-en...wheels-p316962

Sad that it's been 6 months since this news piece and there's still no sign of those OEM alloy wheels showing up yet
Old 24th October 2019, 10:47   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Sad that it's been 6 months since this news piece and there's still no sign of those OEM alloy wheels showing up yet
Yes, I wonder what is taking them so long to get the alloys wheels out. Its not rocket science, even the 100cc bikes have only alloys these days They seem to have lost the josh they had at launch, regarding the accessories.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 06:56   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Yes, I wonder what is taking them so long to get the alloys wheels out. Its not rocket science, even the 100cc bikes have only alloys these days They seem to have lost the josh they had at launch, regarding the accessories.

Seriously!

I was at a point where I had kinda zeroed in on the Int 650, but seeing this news piece I was waiting so that I could get alloy wheels while buying itself.

Been a few months now, with no actual release in sight.

Looks like I'll have to go with it, and then get alloys fit once RE decides to launch them
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:01   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Seriously!

I was at a point where I had kinda zeroed in on the Int 650, but seeing this news piece I was waiting so that I could get alloy wheels while buying itself.

Been a few months now, with no actual release in sight.

Looks like I'll have to go with it, and then get alloys fit once RE decides to launch them
I was in kind of self imposed exile from riding for more than a year and when the INT was launched I was really hooked into it. Like you, I was also waiting for RE to give alloy wheels as an accessory. Unfortunately I had lost patience waiting for it and had booked Ravishing Red last week. While booking I had specifically asked for the one manufactured after Oct 1st as I didn`t want to miss the clear lens headlamp update. They have one in stock and will be doing the PDI today, if everything goes fine hopefully by next week it should be with me.

For folks like @SnehilShekar who went with outex, I had couple of questions for you.
How is it holding up?. Any issues so far?.

When you ride under mid day heat and broken roads with potholes, did you see any drop in air pressure or leakage?

I am just evaluating the option of tubless conversion kit and previously I had put slime in my Desertstorm which luckily had only one puncture during the ownership period of 4 years and it did held up pretty well on that occasion. But of course it did create a mess for puncture guy to clean and place the tube back. So I don`t want to go with that again and I am seriously considering Outex for peace of mind. Only thing which is putting me off is like everyone mentioned the cost factor and durability. So would appreciate if one can update their experience so far with Outex.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 25th October 2019 at 08:02.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks