Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:53   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Now that my interest in the Interceptor is piqued, mods are pouring in on my WhatsApp number. This one is a visual spectacle, with the passion being seen in their efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot-20191003-6.45.01-am.png  

Last edited by Sebring : 3rd October 2019 at 07:09.
Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:42   #1247
BHPian

Royal Enfield is really wasting an opportunity here. The engine and chassis is now proven.
They should launch a "Deluxe" variant for both Interceptor/GT with:
  1. Upside down forks
  2. Fully adjustable rear shocks
  3. Alloy Wheels
  4. LED lights
  5. Better paint/chrome
  6. Maybe higher tuned engine
They can easily sell this for 1lakh more. I will be first in line to buy it.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:09   #1248
Senior - BHPian

LED lights are De Rigueur these days. Shocks and forks are on expected lines. So the consumer wont pay a higher price just for that. But yes 'Enfield Customs' has a future!
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:55   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Both the custom mods is droolworthy but won't anyone getting it done have to say bye bye to warranty?
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:39   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield is really wasting an opportunity here. The engine and chassis is now proven.
They should launch a "Deluxe" variant for both Interceptor/GT with:
No! No!! Its too early for them to start releasing variants. The 650 twins are doing decently well compared to the slowdown in the automotive market. Am sure they will have designs and protos ready for various variants like bobbers, scramblers, cruisers, etc and will release them when strategically apt. But only after they reap the complete benefit from the existing twins range.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:48   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Well with so many doubts it seems that you have already made up your mind for the Leo, even if you buy interceptor you'll always regret it whenever you'll see the Leo on the roads. Buying a royal enfield is a decision you make by your heart, it's like asking the hottest girl in your class out without thinking anything, without knowing her. Sadly the girl refused you but the royal Enfield won't because you are paying for her!
I saw continental GT, loved the looks , took a test ride and was in love instantly, bought the bike without thinking anything, and i am very happy with the bike, enjoying it everyday, not a single regret.
But still if you are confused don't go by the features list, take back to back test drives and then decide which bike you enjoyed more, it's not about upside down vs telescopic or mono shock vs conventional ones, it's about the fun you are having
No, I've definitely not made up my mind for the Leo. I am still a few months away from buying a bike, so I am taking the time to mull things over thoroughly.

I have test ridden the int650 and without even riding the Leo, i know that the int650 engine is easily better.

I think it's fair enough to be a bit interested in modern day features. For me it's not an emotional decision. It is a well thought out, well calculated one. So obviously i will weigh the pros and cons in depth before taking any decision.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:45   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
No! No!! Its too early for them to start releasing variants. The 650 twins are doing decently well compared to the slowdown in the automotive market. Am sure they will have designs and protos ready for various variants like bobbers, scramblers, cruisers, etc and will release them when strategically apt. But only after they reap the complete benefit from the existing twins range.
I am not talking about totally different variants like scrambler etc but just "improved" Interceptor. Like they have in Cars.
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:25   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am not talking about totally different variants like scrambler etc but just "improved" Interceptor. Like they have in Cars.
But why would you want to pay 1L extra for an improved Interceptor? Product improvement is a continuous cycle factoring in user feedback, ageing, Government norms, etc and manufacturer would do that anyways to compete in general. Car type variants have so far not caught with the two wheeler market except things like with or without ABS. Some of the imported BMWs have a base model and customer can build/opt for features and addons based on their preference. But thats more on the lines of OEM customization and would differ from fixed feature based variants the 4 wheeler industry follows.
Even for some of the features which u have asked for, 1L is a lot of money. The USDs are more of a liability in dusty Indian conditions. They may make some sense on a track tool, not so much on a modern-retro classic. Even bikes costing around 10L usually dont offer fully adjustable rear shocks. On our versys with fully adjustable front and preload on the rear, very few actually tampered and explored the settings. 90% were happy with the OEM settings, or at max played a bit with the preload on the rear. That is easily doable on the interceptor. Alloy is something thats very useful from a puncture point of view. That will come for sure, as a variant or as an accessory. Going by REs past, they will first launch some new colour schemes with minor differences towards BS6 like the SIGNALS, and later may launch some variants such as scramblers/clubman, etc like how they created BULLET TRIALS.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:18   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
But why would you want to pay 1L extra for an improved Interceptor?
It is an option for people who want it!

The things I have listed are already being done by people as modifications from third party shops. I would much prefer if it came directly from the factory with factory warranty.

For those who don't want these or don't see the value in it, the base line interceptor continues to be be an option, right?
And it may be the case that variants have not caught on in bikes like cars because no one has ever tried it.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:03   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The USDs are more of a liability in dusty Indian conditions.
Sir,
Why do you think it will be a liability, have seen it doing duty on many Dukes and i believe they are holding up well. Will be interested to know your thoughts.

On the rest of your pointers, they do make sense. But there is no harm in trying out a 'Deluxe Edition' or possibly a 'limited edition' if they want to test waters. Pricing at 100K additional will be an overkill but if they give programmable ride modes and other gizmos might make it look attractive. The only thing that will fall flat will be how their service section can cater to it.

Anyways that will be an interesting space for RE since i believe they should stop looking at the volume games and instead concentrate on wider margins.
Else have a fork out of their regular bikes and set up a "nexa" sort of setup provided they have a couple of more iterations with different engines.

Think am going off track excuses
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:33   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is an option for people who want it!

The things I have listed are already being done by people as modifications from third party shops. I would much prefer if it came directly from the factory with factory warranty.

For those who don't want these or don't see the value in it, the base line interceptor continues to be be an option, right?
And it may be the case that variants have not caught on in bikes like cars because no one has ever tried it.
Precisely what i am questioning. Is there a lakh worth value in those mods? Bikes are built to a brief which pre-defines certain parameters like the core concept, TG, demographics, semantics, cost, etc. Talking of Interceptor and GT, they have tried keeping the core design as close to the original where the USDs, alloys, LEDs do not fit in. They could have followed bonnies where SE/A3 was offered with alloys, but RE chose not to do so and will have their reasons. Personal customization has no end, and no manufacturer could satisfy that. Bikes do have variants but not just based on cosmetic or utility type features. Bike variants are more functional and purpose defined. For eg, KTM 390, RC 390 are variants of the same platform, but intended for different purpose /TG and not just cosmetic. Even the interceptor and GT are variants, and so are all the bikes in tiger series such as Xr, Xrx, Xc, XCx, etc. Xpulse 200, Xpulse 200T, Xtereme 200S and Xtreme 200r are all variants only. From RE, going by their past, we ca expect category based variants, less likely based on equipment.

Quote:
Why do you think it will be a liability, have seen it doing duty on many Dukes and i believe they are holding up well. Will be interested to know your thoughts.
No doubt that USDs are advanced and modern technology over the traditional setup and they do bring some degree of improved handling but including that on a bike is governed by what the bike is intended to do and what price its intended to sell. USDs are expensive to begin with and are more prone to leaks. I had seal busted on my 390 four times. 2nd time, we replaced the down tube under warranty, still happened twice post that. A lot of dukes had that issue, and its well captured in initial pages of 390 thread on teambhp. Reason given was dusty and sandy Indian conditions. USDs make sense on a bike like duke, known for mad acceleration and sharp handling. May be not on the interceptor, considering factors such as pure design, cost etc. And its not like conventional forks are way backwards. An iconic bike such as Ninja 650 still uses conventional forks in 2019, says something. The new Mahendra mojo is discarded the USDs and adopted to the conventional forks for their latest 2019 model for cost reduction, and its not made any substantial difference in handling according to a close friend who is a mojo addict. So i guess for some things, we tend to give a bit more importance. For me, a quality conventional fork over a cost conscious USD approach any day.

Even LEDs are given a lot more importance when it comes to illumination. They do definitely help with power consumption and longevity, but not really with illumination. Modern day bike and their reflector design gives more importance to aesthetics then quality of illumination. LEDs with bad reflector are a nuisance. Example some of the modern scooters which hurt the eye even during the day. Comes rain or even wet roads, and LEDs are almost useless. They do make sense as aux along with halogen but those mods and their legality are a topic for another thread.
Old 4th October 2019, 15:27   #1257

Hi All,

Is anyone member of any Whatsapp group for Int650 in Mumbai? Looking out for such a group where problems, mods, trips are discussed.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
Planning to sit down one Sunday and try do so myself because honestly the finish on these parts are very poor.
Did you try this? Care posting a few pics of the result?

Last edited by aah78 : 4th October 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Posts merged. Video removed from Quote.
Old 4th October 2019, 15:41   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagnajit View Post
Hi All,

Is anyone member of any Whatsapp group for Int650 in Mumbai? Looking out for such a group where problems, mods, trips are discussed.

Thanks!
Look for "Rumble Brothers" on fb or insta.
Ask the admin (Arjun) to add you to whatsapp group.
Or just DM me your mobile number.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:20   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an interesting post by deelip on the subject:

http://deelipmenezes.com/spokes-vs-a...re-motorcycles
I read this article a few days ago and while this is an ongoing debate in various other motorcycle forums as well; I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Where I do disagree with Deelip is the generalization he makes wrt how and where people ride (off road). Surely it makes no sense to go for spoked wheels if your predominant travel involves roads and adventure means a rather flat gravel / fire road

Here's a video from a ride I went to last week. What do you think? You would want spokes here or Alloy?

Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:54   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a video from a ride I went to last week. What do you think? You would want spokes here or Alloy?
WoW..What fun..
Yep, definitely there is no black & white answers but lots of greys.

Seeking technical terrains and going there specifically to conquer would definitely benefit form the spokes. This rides seems likely to fit in this category.

Where as one is traveling to lets say spiti or north-east or other such destinations encountering off road / no road conditions, may fare better with alloys mainly from the POV of ease of fixing a puncture on a multi day ride.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks