Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:45   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Do check the rubber gasket seal in the fuel tank cap.
Mine was found torn after 2 months of use, and water had entered the tank due to this.
Thanks. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Once the few drops dried up though, there was no issue after that and the situation hasnt happened to me ever since then.
Ditto here. Did a 700+ km ride over the weekend. The above effect was in the initial 200 kms, didn't face any such case on the return ride.
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:01   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ So the problem turned out to be nothing major.

A different Q, although I think I already know the answer

I have been asked to work for a short duration (1-3 months) in Bombay for an engagement. I'll be definitely taking my bike; now the question is ride it there? Or pack and send it there? If the second option, which is the safer(st) option?

P.s. I have done that highway numerous times via my car. Kinda bored of it hence the Q
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:03   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Were you able to find any resolution on this? The first service is mainly to replace the engine oil and clean the air filter and inspect everything else. I'll suggest taking it back to them only and getting them to check everything from top to bottom. I have had a good experience with the service centre earlier.

Could water have entered your tank (unlikely but it could be a cause) or around the spark plugs? Was there any misfiring that you faced in these conditions?
So a very small nail, the size of a board pin was causing a slow leak in the tube.
Along with this, I do not know how, the pin for the CEAT tube inside cracked which was probably causing the vibration due to an imbalance of weight.

Anyway, I replaced the tube and now every thing seems to be back to normal.
TheParsiStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 19:07   #1099
BHPian

Got a quotation from Ishna Wheels, Andheri West.
Interceptor 650
Ex showroom - 2,50,610
RTO charges - 32,625
1yr zero dep. 5yr comprehensive - 24,111

Total comes down to 304,536

Will be getting a insurance quote from my insurance guy.
Are the RTO charges proper for Mumbai RTO?
What are the accessories I should get with the bike?

Waiting period is 1 month or lower.
Old 25th August 2019, 13:09   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Interceptor 650
Ex showroom - 2,50,610
RTO charges - 32,625

I'd say the Aluminium Sump Guard is an absolute must. Otherwise the oil filter is exposed to rocks flying off your front tyre. Rest all are just according to your taste of what you think makes the bike look good.
TheParsiStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 14:36   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Interceptor 650
Ex showroom - 2,50,610
RTO charges - 32,625

Well the aluminium sump guard as mentioned earlier, crash guard, fork gaiters, bar end mirrors if you like their look. You'll save money by getting the insurance done from outside, get the first party including nill depp for 5 years.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 02:18   #1102
BHPian

After 4 months and 4k+ kms, numerous daily commutes in city, one long ride to Valparai from Bengaluru, being part of a nice riding club and of course being a member of this wonderful community of enthusiasts gave me a lot of ideas for necessary mods on my Baker's express. For now I'm working only on functional mods, with fews aesthetic ones in pipeline. I have absolutely nothing to say that hasn't already been said in this forum about the performance of the motorcycle. I have faced absolutely no problem in these 4 months with it except the horrible seat and pathetic pillion comfort. Here is a small peek into all the accessories/mods I have done/planned:

1. Large crashguard from RE in chrome : I'd have liked it a little wider similar to the ones we get for classics. Although it doesn't help much with saving the tank in case of a fall, I'm sure the leg will be safe.

2. Aluminium sumpguard from RE : With an exposed oil filter and daily offroading in our city roads , this one was a necessity right from the minute of owning the motorcycle.

3. Ceramic coat on tank and all the panels : In a bid to keep that white tank sparkling for a long time, went ahead with a 5 layer 9h coating from Wheeler Cleaner. Has helped me avoid small scratces and wiping the whole motorcycle clean takes less than 30sec.

4. Footpeg grills for the pillion : A pair of metal grills to avoid scratches on the shiny chrome silencers from the pillion's shoes. The protection to the shoe sole from the silencer heat is just a side-effect

5. RD handle bar : After having it for more than 3 years on my C350, I'm addicted to this handlebar. It not only gives a comfortable riding stance but also enables me to stand and ride while passing the rough patches. My only worry while doing this is, how long can the footrest take my weight. They definitely dont look as strong as the ones on classics (metal rod) or Himalayans. No cables are stretched/strained to make them work with this handle.

5. Rigid Dually D2 Aux lamps : The classic looking headlamp is so outdated, the output hardly helps to see anything on a road without streetlamps. A premium pair of aux lamps were always on cards and someone who came from US got it with them. This purchase made me poorer by $165, but it was justified while riding on the misty hills of Valparai at night. Recently acquired a pair of amber covers for the lamps to help with fog in future rides.

6. 4-way indicator switch : Swapping the BS4 switch for a BS3 one, adding a small auxillary circuit and a flasher provides 2 things : more control over the headlamps and a 4 way indicator(hazard lights). This whole set-up costs less than 500 rupees including fitting charges. With the headlamp switch at position zero (OFF), only parking light will be ON. With the switch at position one (partially ON), headlamp and parking light will be ON. When the switch is at position two (completely ON), along with turning on headlamps, all the 4 indicators will start blinking. The function of high/low beam switch remains unaffected with this mod. My default setting is switch position at one which keeps headlamp always ON.

7. Mobile holder cum charger : For somebody who trusts GMaps to avoid crowded roads in the city and fully relies on offline GMaps while riding on the highways and unknown places, this was a mandatory addition. I picked it up from Amazon.in. It is the same brand that has been working flawlessly on my C350 for more than a year.

8. Shad SH39 topbox mounted in place of pillion : Disclaimer: Riders with wives and girlfriends lookaway. Given that my wife detests being pillion on the interceptor, I got freedom to use the space for next best thing - luggage that also acts as a backrest. I intend to use the stock seat in city and this secondary seat with box for the rides. To mount the box, I sourced a metal base plate for seat from Hyderabad, got another support plate welded on it for mounting the base plate of the box, drilled holes on the support plate, got the whole thing powder coated, rode the motorcycle 15kms sitting on the metal plate to the seat maker and boy do I love the final product! Ismail bhai in Shivajinagar spent a lot of time and effort and made a really good seat for me with a little harder foam than the stock seat. He had to find the right balance between a comfortable seat and the minimum thickness seat so that I can still reach the ground while sitting on the motorcycle. I guess he did find the balance and my next ride in 2nd week of Sep will tell me if he did. A backrest will be placed on the Shad topbox as soon it is ready. I remove the pillion handle and saree guard while using this seat and they come right back into their place with the stock seat.

9. The biggest and my personal favourite, tubeless rims : Nope, not the aftermarket mag wheels. I love what the spoked rims offer in terms of riding comfort and the looks. On the internet, I read about the expensive Outex kits and how they convert the spoked rims to tubeless. Special thanks to @nasirkaka, I also found the inexpensive conversion using the strong industrial adhesive offerings from 3M. Watched a lot of videos, read a lot of forums and found a lot of success and failure stories with the process of conversion. Another friend who was visiting the states was kind enough to bring a couple of E6000 adhesive tubes, a roll of 3M 4211 tape and I found valve stems at a price of 50 rupees each on Amazon.in. Although I had to struggle a lot to make time for this modification, an alternate daily motorcycle, easy access to a workshop and the strong desire to give it a try made it possible. This mod is only about a couple of days old and my daily air pressure checks tell me that there is negligible amount of reduction. Right now the rear wheel is converted and seems to be holding up well. If everything is fine by the end of this week, will covert the front wheel as well. However, I plan to carry the tube on the rides just in case. May be after a month or two, I want to write a detailed post explaining the process and if it is really worth.

10. Small flyscreen and fork gaiter from RE : These are purely for better looks and will be added soon.

Here is how my motorcycle looks right now:

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190825_102705020.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190825_102714136.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190825_102809848.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190825_102842559.jpg

P.S: I'm not associated with any brand / company / personnel mentioned in this post and do not vouch for any of their products. Request the mods to remove any names if it appears like an ad.

P.P.S: I definitely do not encourage anybody to try any of the mods mentioned above as some of them might render your motorcycle street-illegal or worse, put you and your motorcycle in danger.

Last edited by LazyGunner : 26th August 2019 at 02:30. Reason: Adding some pics of the motorcycle
LazyGunner is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:43   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have faced absolutely no problem in these 4 months with it except the horrible seat and pathetic pillion comfort. Here is a small peek into all the accessories/mods I have done/planned:
WOW! There is some really very interesting mods and initiatives. If you have documented and could share details on the same, it would be really beneficial to people. Especially the 4 way indicator with headlight control, and the tubeless conversion part. I also like the seat mod as its different and interesting. Hows the comfort as it looks a bit thin. Also the top box looks a bit in front. Does it interface with back while seated? Even i tried seat modification this weekend. Basically what i did was removed stock foam and cover so can revert back to OEM setup anytime. Used just the plastic base of the seat, got cushioning done in a relatively harder foam, added some width to the seat and rode it for 200kms yesterday. Feels much comfortable than stock. sharing a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190825_074951.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 26th August 2019 at 15:44.
nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 00:26   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
WOW! There is some really very interesting mods and initiatives. If you have documented and could share details on the same, it would be really beneficial to people. Especially the 4 way indicator with headlight control, and the tubeless conversion part. I also like the seat mod as its different and interesting. Hows the comfort as it looks a bit thin. Also the top box looks a bit in front. Does it interface with back while seated? Even i tried seat modification this weekend. Basically what i did was removed stock foam and cover so can revert back to OEM setup anytime. Used just the plastic base of the seat, got cushioning done in a relatively harder foam, added some width to the seat and rode it for 200kms yesterday. Feels much comfortable than stock. sharing a pic.
Waiting for the delivery of my Baker Express and love the way your seat has turned out. Where in BLR did you get this done?
Old 27th August 2019, 09:40   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
WOW! There is some really very interesting mods and initiatives. If you have documented and could share details on the same, it would be really beneficial to people. Especially the 4 way indicator with headlight control, and the tubeless conversion part.
Thanks a lot! I guess I was too excited while making them and didn't take any photos. I'll make sure to click some pics and update step-by-step process I follow when I convert the front wheel this week. For the 4-way indicator, circuit and flasher are readily available in Fixwell and Sandhya (JC road). They come with couplers and no need to skin any wire. I'll try and share connections as well along with conversion process.

Quote:
I also like the seat mod as its different and interesting. Hows the comfort as it looks a bit thin. Also the top box looks a bit in front. Does it interface with back while seated?
One answer for both the questions. I'm very short. I sit very close to tank to be able to reach the ground so I don't even feel the box while riding (even with backrest). When I stop, I have to lean a little back so that I can use the support and relax. Seat is actually thinner/harder than I expected but still a huge upgrade over the stock seat. I'll be able to comment about the comfort after my next ride in about 2 weeks.

Quote:
Even i tried seat modification this weekend. Basically what i did was removed stock foam and cover so can revert back to OEM setup anytime. Used just the plastic base of the seat, got cushioning done in a relatively harder foam, added some width to the seat and rode it for 200kms yesterday. Feels much comfortable than stock. sharing a pic.
I must say that seat looks really good. (I love the design) I bet it is very comfortable with wider surface area and stiffer cushion. The number of people going for seat mod on the twins is way too high. I've also heard RE's touring seats aren't that great either. Wonder what did RE do with their test riders' feedback on the seat.
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 10:39   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even i tried seat modification this weekend. Basically what i did was removed stock foam and cover so can revert back to OEM setup anytime. Used just the plastic base of the seat, got cushioning done in a relatively harder foam, added some width to the seat and rode it for 200kms yesterday. Feels much comfortable than stock. sharing a pic.
I have been thinking of upgrading the GT 535's double seat to something very close to what you have done. Can you share where you had got the work done and the approximate costs involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Here is a small peek into all the accessories/mods I have done/planned:
That is a good, sensible list of mods for the Interceptor. I hope Royal Enfield is keeping track of these upgrades that owners are making for their next iteration of the Interceptor and GT 650 twins. Can you share an indicative pricing of these mods for the benefit of our forum members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I must say that seat looks really good. (I love the design) I bet it is very comfortable with wider surface area and stiffer cushion. The number of people going for seat mod on the twins is way too high. I've also heard RE's touring seats aren't that great either. Wonder what did RE do with their test riders' feedback on the seat.
Pardon the pun but I guess they are just sitting on it
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 15:26   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for the delivery of my Baker Express and love the way your seat has turned out. Where in BLR did you get this done?
This was Done as Raos - the famous seat maker close to shivaji nagar.

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I guess I was too excited while making them and didn't take any photos. I'll make sure to click some pics and update step-by-step process I follow when I convert the front wheel this week. For the 4-way indicator, circuit and flasher are readily available in Fixwell and Sandhya (JC road). They come with couplers and no need to skin any wire. I'll try and share connections as well along with conversion process.
That will be very helpful if you could document the conversion. Even i love the look of spoke wheels except the puncture fear. Outex is way too expensive and out of question. Even RE alloy accessory, if and when launched, will be 10k +. So this seems like a practical and cost effective way forward if it works well and provided we can source the glue and tape from abroad. Will try Sandhya for 4 way indicator. Any place you suggest where that electrical mods can be carried out? Thanks!

Quote:

I have been thinking of upgrading the GT 535's double seat to something very close to what you have done. Can you share where you had got the work done and the approximate costs involved?
Raos sear cover. They have shifted their location slightly and their present location is there on google maps, incase you intend to visit. I was there last saturday. Spend close to 6 hours there. The place is crowded. Two interceptors were getting their seat modified before i landed. they had retained their original seat completely and went for a totally new custom seat including the base plate. They got bucket type seat made and were happy with the result. It surely looked comfortable but also looked out of place on the bike. I think it costed them 5K for the entire new seat including the seat plate. Afterwards two more interceptors came for the seat work, so yes, the seat seems like a common sore point.

I did not buy a new seat plate, but used the stock one. Removed the stock foam and cover and have preserved it nicely,incase i need to revert back, which i doubt will happen. I found the stock seat to be too narrow and soft. Intent was to used harder foam and add some width and end result is much better then stock. Even the aesthetics have not been compromised much, i feel. Given another chance, i would like to further make some minor tweaks to the shape of the seat, mainly the front a bit narrower, the front edge a bit more rounded and a slight concave form to the rider part of the seat, much similar to the street twins. On the price point, the entire new harder foam base, and adding more foam on the side to add width and shaping them + the costom cover material and stitching with horizontal foam lines costed me 3K. I have been visiting Raos since 2010 and in last few years he is become expensive.

PS: My seat mod was inspired from another seat mod picture which was shared on our whatsapp group. Sharing the same below, all credit & thanks to the original creator.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190824wa0039.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 00:19   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
I got the seat done at BI seat covers, Shivajinagar. I had already got a baseplate fabricated with a seat lock, figured out measurements for mounting of the box and drilled the holes for base plate of the box before going for the seat. You might want to work with a fabricator first. Or, check if the seat cover place has the base plate and alter it as per your needs.

Quote:
That is a good, sensible list of mods for the Interceptor. I hope Royal Enfield is keeping track of these upgrades that owners are making for their next iteration of the Interceptor and GT 650 twins. Can you share an indicative pricing of these mods for the benefit of our forum members?
Thanks for the encouraging words. Here you go..

Quote:
1. Large crashguard from RE in chrome
Rs.3100/-, free installation - source: RE showroom

Quote:
2. Aluminium sumpguard from RE
Rs.1850/- + installation - source: RE showroom

Quote:
3. Ceramic coat on tank and all the panels
Rs.5500/- source: Wheeler Cleaner, Marathahalli

Quote:
4. Footpeg grills for the pillion
Rs.600/- source: Sandhya Automobiles, JC Road.

Quote:
5. RD handle bar
Rs. 550/- source: Sandhya Automobiles, JC Road.

Quote:
5. Rigid Dually D2 Aux lamps
USD 165/- and USD 7/- for the Amber caps. source: Amazon.com

Quote:
6. 4-way indicator switch
Approx. Rs.500/- including installation. source: Sandhya Automobiles, JC Road.

Quote:
7. Mobile holder cum charger
Rs.1050/- source : Amazon.in

Quote:
8. Shad SH39 topbox mounted in place of pillion
Around Rs.16,000/-
Break-up:
2100/- for the plate from Sahara seats, Hyderabad.
300/- for base plate support welding from local fabrication shop.
50/- for powder coating from a powder coating shop in Mahadevapura.
2500/- for the seat from BI seat covers, Shivajinagar.
9999/- for the box from BikeNBiker, Wilson Garden.
850/- for the backrest from BI seat covers, Shivajinagar.

Quote:
9. The biggest and my personal favourite, tubeless rims
Around USD 40/- + DIY installation

Quote:
10. Small flyscreen and fork gaiter from RE
Rs.2350/- source: RE showroom.

Phew! These numbers are looking so big now. Never realized while spending My wife better not see this post!

Quote:
Pardon the pun but I guess they are just sitting on it
Nice one Cheers...

Quote:
Outex is way too expensive and out of question. Even RE alloy accessory, if and when launched, will be 10k +. So this seems like a practical and cost effective way forward if it works well and provided we can source the glue and tape from abroad.
Very true. So far so good for me. I had set my rear wheel pressure to 32 on Saturday. When I checked in the evening today, it was still 32. I must have completed around 70-80kms during these 4 days. [/quote]

Quote:
Will try Sandhya for 4 way indicator. Any place you suggest where that electrical mods can be carried out? Thanks!
The mechanics who fit accessories in front of Sandhya/Fixwel did mine. It's fairly simple. You need a BS3 switch, headlamp switch circuit and the flasher.

Quote:
Raos sear cover. They have shifted their location slightly and their present location is there on google maps, incase you intend to visit. I was there last saturday. Spend close to 6 hours there.
I did it last Saturday too. Passed in front of their new shop around 12.30. I was there in Ismail's shop till 8! He was finishing up a seat for Himalayan which went on till 4.30 or so. Then he started with my seat and finished by 8. Unlike Rao's, Ismail works alone. So, some waiting is inevitable. I have got my Classic seat done up twice in last 4 years at Rao. They do a great job. Like you said they've become expensive these days, so tried out a new option.

Last edited by LazyGunner : 28th August 2019 at 00:20.
LazyGunner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 19:56   #1109
BHPian

Just completed my 1st service today.
As expected the bill was around 2700/-

Just to clarify, do you guys feel a very mild roughness at around 2600RPM?
I thought it might go away after an oil change, but still feel it...
Old 1st September 2019, 11:08   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Just completed my 1st service today.
As expected the bill was around 2700/-

Just to clarify, do you guys feel a very mild roughness at around 2600RPM?
I thought it might go away after an oil change, but still feel it...
By roughness, do you mean a kind of buzz?
I do feel it at certain times between 2500 to 3500 rps.
No such buzz below and it disappears when the bike revs higher. I am not sure what is the cause. I suspect it might be because of resonance vibs from some accessory like crash guard or sump guard, but I'm not sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks