Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 12:45   #931
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
P.S. I can bet you guys a beer that this only happens at a specific speed range.
Here is an update -

You are right Ashwinprakas, Happens between 80-90 Kph.
Got a call 2 days ago from the SVC and the RE service manager, they said the have identified the issue to be with the Pirelli front tyre.
They said that they did involve people from Pirelli as well and are now sure that the tyre is defective.
They have ordered new tyre which is to arrive in 2 days time.
However, when the first time I sent the bike to them, they said they checked with a different wheel but the issue still persisted, so there was nothing wrong with the wheel or tyre.

When I asked the how come this time they are confident about issue being the tyre, when last time they ruled it out, they had no clear answer.
They seem confident now that the issue is with the tyre for mine and another persons bike with the same issue (who has become a friend now).
But I have lost much of my confidence on them being able to identify the issue.
Let's see what happens with the new tyre.

Another problem was with the torn rubber seal on the fuel cap, for which they were going to change the entire lock set. They did get the new lockset for replacement but the new one did not come with new set of keys.
Looking at it, I was not sure to laugh or be mad at the service guys.
Old 15th July 2019, 13:59   #932
BHPian

My bikes front suspension have been making this weird sound when I get on a bad road or say a speed breaker(the bangalore ones). During the installation of gaiter I had asked them to check it and the SVC said that the issue was because of cone set being loose which they claim to have fixed. For a couple of weeks the ride was smooth, but now I am getting to hear the sound again + my front suspension is sooooo smooth that it takes all undulations on the road to my wrists and nose dives deep on hard braking.

They said that the fork oils need to be replaced now and this will(might) fix the issue - does this get covered under warranty ??

Also i find it strange that my cylinder gasket cover(i believe) was not changed during the first service. Would this cause any issue in the long run?? should i get it checked/replaced?

Can someone suggest the best RE SVC from their own experience.
Old 15th July 2019, 14:24   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
My bikes front suspension have been making this weird sound when I get on a bad road or say a speed breaker(the bangalore ones). During the installation of gaiter I had asked them to check it and the SVC said that the issue was because of cone set being loose which they claim to have fixed. For a couple of weeks the ride was smooth, but now I am getting to hear the sound again + my front suspension is sooooo smooth that it takes all undulations on the road to my wrists and nose dives deep on hard braking.

Also i find it strange that my cylinder gasket cover(i believe) was not changed during the first service. Would this cause any issue in the long run?? should i get it checked/replaced?
Since you have mentioned that you have installed fork gaiters, I believe that the service guys removed the front forks to install them. If so, there might have been some air lock during the reinstallation of the forks (quite common for any bike). If that is the case, then releasing the air lock and topping up the fork oil and refitting it would resolve the problem.

Something similar happened on my previous bike Hunk. After a regular service at my FNG where fork oil was changed, I felt the ride to be too harsh. The front suspension was having very little action and I could feel the front end crashing into almost all the imperfections on the road. I took it back to my mechanic and he said that it was due to the air lock on the front fork tubes during the refill. He released it and then the bike was back to normal.

As to the cylinder gasket, are you referring to the cylinder head gasket? If so, that need not be replaced unless the head is opened.

Last edited by samcan123 : 15th July 2019 at 14:26.
samcan123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 14:58   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post

Can someone suggest the best RE SVC from their own experience.
Try HSR Services in Sudhamanagar. Anil would be the contact person.

Somehow i feel this cups and cone setup on the steering stem is a big time cost cutting exercise. It will have these challenges considering the weight of the Motorcycle. They should have put the proper steering stem needle bearing. Possibly might do in the next iterations.

In short, with the best tuning/adjustment; the irritant factor will persist throughout its life.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 15:24   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Since you have mentioned that you have installed fork gaiters, I believe that the service guys removed the front forks to install them. If so, there might have been some airlock during the reinstallation of the forks (quite common for any bike). If that is the case, then releasing the air lock and topping up the fork oil and refitting it would resolve the problem.

As to the cylinder gasket, are you referring to the cylinder head gasket? If so, that need not be replaced unless the head is opened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Try HSR Services in Sudhamanagar. Anil would be the contact person.

In short, with the best tuning/adjustment; the irritant factor will persist throughout its life.
Thanks to you both, I will make sure that I get the fork checked for airlock.
Cylinder head gasket is what I meant,in the forum I see that everyone got it checked/replaced during the first service but not for me.
Old 15th July 2019, 16:13   #936
BHPian

Looking at such niggles cropping up here and there, I believe RE has again failed in improving their Quality Control and quality of parts in general.
They sure have tested the bike extensively, but when testing the bike before launch, you are basically testing the design, and you are testing the compatibility of the associated parts. Then you do all kinds of stress test etc. I am sure they must have sorted most design related issues there.
But the problem in case of most RE bikes comes from the issues related to bad QC at the time of mass production. Most issues are due to a bad "fit" during assembly or a faulty component.

What even aggravates the situation further, is the service centers being clueless about rectification of the issues. From what I have experienced, there has been much improvement towards the customer service and general attitude towards customers issues but competency to fix the problems still lacks.

Below is the list of issues that have been encountered with the twins so far (As experienced myself or seen on FB, whatsapp groups etc)

- Bike refusing to start
- Check engine light on for a new bike
- Loss of tyre pressure (Experienced myself)
- Tank cap rubber seal broken (Experienced myself)
- Handle bar wobble at certain speeds (Experienced myself)
- Rusty chain
- Rusty break disc
- Weird noises from engine (from the valves)
Had seen a post on Fb where RE replaced the entire engine of the bike, the post was soon deleted though.
- Oil leaking from engine head (After SVC opens it for valve adjustment)
- Rust or corrosion on engine casing
- Unexplained Battery drain
- Electrical malfunction after washing
- Speedo not working
- Spark plugs going kaput
- Fuel gauge showing incorrect reading
- Issues related to incorrect part re-fitment after accessory installation

My personal suggestion to anyone who is satisfied with the current ride and is in no hurry in getting another- Please wait at least a year until RE fixes such issues.
The fruit is not ripe yet!
ishan12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 16:49   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Below is the list of issues that have been encountered with the twins so far (As experienced myself or seen on FB, whatsapp groups etc)

- Bike refusing to start
- Rusty chain
- Rusty break disc
Care to share more details (if available) on these particular ones? If it is only from 'Whatsapp Institute of Knowledge', that isn't a proper vote of approval, if you ask me. I'd rather believe genuine reports of problems given by actual owners.

But yes I agree to an extent - RE's servicing staff has to yet reach that level of maturity wrt to knowledge about the Twins. But wasn't that always the case with RE servicing, I wonder. It's the secondary/tertiary FNG network that needs to get used to these twin cyclinder bikes IMO. Will take time.
Old 15th July 2019, 16:58   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Care to share more details (if available) on these particular ones? If it is only from '
I am not quoting some random whatsapp forward here. Most issues shared above are from the owners Whatsapp group for Mumbai-Pune. With people posting images/ videos of their issues, since RE customer service guys are a part of the group too. So they were posted by owners with evidence. Some of whom I have personally met on rides.
ishan12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 17:21   #939
BHPian

Guys
I have a query on the accessories part. There is an accessories dealer called bike n biker who sells Zana branded stuff. Here is the catalog
https://www.bikenbiker.com/collections/interceptor-650

I am thinking of adding a bash plate and an engine guard which is also available from Royal Enfield OEM. Anyone fitted Zana accessories before and would you recommend them over official RE stuff?
Thanks in advance.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 17:36   #940
BHPian

Quote:
- Bike refusing to start
- Loss of tyre pressure (Experienced myself)
- Tank cap rubber seal broken (Experienced myself)
- Handle bar wobble at certain speeds (Experienced myself)
- Rusty chain
- Rusty break disc
Had seen a post on Fb where RE replaced the entire engine of the bike, the post was soon deleted though.
- Oil leaking from engine head (After SVC opens it for valve adjustment)
- Rust or corrosion on engine casing
- Unexplained Battery drain
- Electrical malfunction after washing
- Speedo not working
- Spark plugs going kaput
- Fuel gauge showing incorrect reading
- Issues related to incorrect part re-fitment after accessory installation
But isn't this a norm in almost all the new launches?? By RE offering a 650cc twin-cylinder engine for less than 3L, where up until that point you were getting 300 - 400cc single-cylinder bikes, everyone praised that RE has built a world-class product during the launch and test rides.

I am part of the RR310 owner's group from Day 1 since I own the initial lot bike. Trust me there isn't a single day where people are not posting issues about the bike in the group. With all the feedback from respective owners, TVS went ahead and launched the 2019 edition with necessary changes (Which I am yet to check).

I would strongly advise people to stay away from a newly launched product for at least 1.5 - 2 years if you need peaceful ownership. But hey, what's the fun in that if you can't learn new things about your bike every single day. Just my 2 cents.
FURY_44 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 17:37   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Guys
I have a query on the accessories part. There is an accessories dealer called bike n biker who sells Zana branded stuff. Here is the catalog
https://www.bikenbiker.com/collections/interceptor-650

I am thinking of adding a bash plate and an engine guard which is also available from Royal Enfield OEM. Anyone fitted Zana accessories before and would you recommend them over official RE stuff?
Thanks in advance.
I have the zana branded bash plate on my bike, personally I do not like the way it look. It is functional but a bit ugly to my eyes, I loved the RE bash plate it looked great and matched the bike well.

For the engine guard, go for zana - if possible go for the one with sliders. It looks great + its really functional.
psmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 18:05   #942
BHPian

Absolutely agreed.
I knew I was taking this risk knowing the history of RE with new launches.
Also, in all likelihood the prices would soon go up, and I am guessing by 20k+.
I just posted the list so that prospective new owners know what to expect and others who can delay at the cost of higher price can make their decision.
When I bought it from the initial batches, my old TB350 was 7 years old and I needed a replacement soon.
But RE has been very responsive and quick in fixing customers issue this time around.
Old 15th July 2019, 18:32   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
It is one of the first things the mechanics should have checked but, did they check both wheels to see if they need balancing?
A out of balance wheel will create exactly the problem you describe.
Sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I think you meant that the wheel needs to be trued, cause when it comes to being off balance the forces at play are vertical whereas in this case it's horizontal.

Though I doubt that is the case anyhow.

P.S. I can bet you guys a beer that this only happens at a specific speed range.
@ashwinprakas,
Truing the rim is definitely the required first step. But I think Jim was referring to actual wheel balancing like with car wheels. Ideally the wheel would be dynamically balanced while rotating but since there are so few wheel balancing machines suitable for motorcycle wheels, at least static balancing is necessary.

Here is a video that I found that shows how to statically balance a wheel rim:

On advrider.com, the RE twins thread has a post by someone who replaced the Pirelli tyres with Avon and did the Outex conversion to try rid of wobbling.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 19:10   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not quoting some random whatsapp forward here. Most issues shared above are from the owners Whatsapp group for Mumbai-Pune. With people posting images/ videos of their issues, since RE customer service guys are a part of the group too. So they were posted by owners with evidence.
Great! That's what I said - share/forward here whatever images/videos/details they have given - a one line detail doesn't really help existing and potential future owners. If you need to get approvals, then do so; no owner would disagree to share details of the issue (without giving his/her contacts of course). Also I'm sure they would appreciate others (bhpians/non-users) reading these posts also identifying similar issues on their bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
But isn't this a norm in almost all the new launches?? By RE offering a 650cc twin-cylinder engine for less than 3L, where up until that point you were getting 300 - 400cc single-cylinder bikes, everyone praised that RE has built a world-class product during the launch and test rides.
+1

Also RE seems to be listening to owners (for e.g. the high altitude issue) and rectifying it accordingly. I would love if they come out with better seats and with tweaks/upgrades to the other issues that are common across a larger % of Twins. The more we get to know earlier, the better!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th July 2019 at 19:14.
Old 15th July 2019, 19:51   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Truing the rim is definitely the required first step. But I think Jim was referring to actual wheel balancing like with car wheels. Ideally the wheel would be dynamically balanced while rotating but since there are so few wheel balancing machines suitable for motorcycle wheels, at least static balancing is necessary.
Quiet useful video. Thanks

Yes on a wire wheel, truing is very vey important, so is BALANCING. Many old school people used to wire wheels only often ignore the balancing part. (Rant) Till advent of Japanese bikes in early 1980s the balancing of bike wheels were virtually unknown - except on the tracks like Sholavaram, Juhu or Barackpore. Rajdoot-Yamaha were the first to come with a balanced wheel for bikes - they used weights that clamped on spoke-nipples. (Rant over ).

I am sure in Bangalore you are aware, most of the well equipped Tyre shops do have adapters to fit in their wheel balancing machine to balance Tubeless Alloy wheel tyres for motor cycles.

Difficulty is to find one who has adaptor for wire wheels, I haven't heard of one so far, at least in Bangalore

Best Regard & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks