Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2019, 05:37   #451
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The only one point I saw crop up in the discussions over the last few days, is a slight flightiness / wobbliness / vibrations in the handlebar if it is let go at a decent speed. I havent tried this myself so I dont know one way or the other. But initial analysis by some fellow riders seems to indicate that the tires might be the culprit.
Why am I not surprised by the bike wobble at all! If you've been following the Triumph Street Twin that comes shod with the same rubber, Pirelli Phantoms, on this forum or elsewhere, bike wobble has been a big inexplicable-unsolved issue! Most users have replaced tyres conjecturing that the tread pattern on the Phantoms is to blame. However, there is no conclusive evidence yet! The wheel size is going to make getting high quality alternates quite difficult at a low price point. Have to wait and watch how this plays out!

One thinks that four years of testing should have made idiosyncrasies like peg positioning, tyre selection, pillion seating, etc. more evident through the design-spec finalization process.. Hmm

Last edited by HandfulOfHell : 20th February 2019 at 05:38.
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:36   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
One thinks that four years of testing should have made idiosyncrasies like peg positioning, tyre selection, pillion seating, etc. more evident through the design-spec finalization process.. Hmm
Just wanted to share my view as an automotive engineer and designer here on the foot peg positions. Sometimes, we have no other option but to live with some compromises like this, let me share an example from my work place -

I was working with a car-maker then, and one of our competitors had launched a new hatchback with a really tight turning radius of about 4.6m and advertised that aspect a lot to attract city dwellers. So our marketing team came up with a new target for turning radius for the Chassis development team. They evaluated the proposal, and shared a feedback that they can reduce the turning radius, if the powertrain had been smaller in width by xxx cm. So Marketing team pointed the gun at us in the Powertrain team to compress the width of the engine, which was simply not possible unless we chopped one cylinder off! So after much debate and escalations, we had a management decision meeting where we presented our own limitations and what we can do within those limitations. Finally the idea was shelved as it was physically not feasible, no matter who gives feedback or what the competitors are offering - as simple as that

I don't know what could have happened at RE, but my calculated guess is that they too had a similar issue where an oil cooled twin cylinder engine had to be at lease this wide, with a large oil sump to cool that non-liquid cooled engine. The test riders could have highlighted this placement, the customers can complain too, but there isn't anywhere else that the engineers could have put those foot pegs at.
aravind.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:37   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Baker Express colour deliveries have finally commenced, and the Company outlet in Chennai has delivered at least 4 bikes over the last week.
That's good to read, so hopefully the deliveries happen in full pace instead of a few drops. Apparently there factory is in lockout due to workers strike which might actually cause more agony to customers waiting for the delivery of the twins.

Hopefully better sense prevails amongst all so that such a promising bike is not nipped in its bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Could you tell me if the bike doesn't jerk while rolling on higher gears at slower speeds, I am not talking about lugging but actual torque spread that helps the bike roll without any hiccups at higher gears at slower speeds.
Thank you Navin for your kind words.
Believe you are asking me more on the LET (Low End Torque). Well the Bike has decent LET and can pull effortlessly from speeds of 45 Kays in its highest gear without any jerks or snatches.

Hopefully that responds to your query? Else do ask for more.

Quote:

But the biggest worry for upgrading to better rubber on the Enfield twins is that there are no options for that 18 inch rim!
Hi Aravind,
Am not surprised with the behavior of your CBR or my twin when going over these painted lane markers. Even during my stint with FZ1 which sported Dunlop tires I had experienced them. Possibly the thickness and smooth finish makes these markers a bit dicey.

Just another update, looks like Zana are one of the first to get off the blocks. They have put up some carriers, back rest, Bash Plate and Engine Guards for the twins.

The Carriers come in with additional base plate in case you want to mount a top case. Am sure many more will soon start rolling out their designs, Play Time Eh!!!

Link for their Stuff

https://www.zanainternational.com/products?brand=1

YouTube link:
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:48   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to share my view as an automotive engineer and designer here on the foot peg positions. Sometimes, we have no other option but to live with some compromises like this, let me share an example from my work place -

I was working with a car-maker then, and one of our competitors had launched a new hatchback with a really tight turning radius of about 4.6m and advertised that aspect a lot to attract city dwellers. So our marketing team came up with a new target for turning radius for the Chassis development team. They evaluated the proposal, and shared a feedback that they can reduce the turning radius, if the powertrain had been smaller in width by xxx cm. So Marketing team pointed the gun at us in the Powertrain team to compress the width of the engine, which was simply not possible unless we chopped one cylinder off! So after much debate and escalations, we had a management decision meeting where we presented our own limitations and what we can do within those limitations. Finally the idea was shelved as it was physically not feasible, no matter who gives feedback or what the competitors are offering - as simple as that

I don't know what could have happened at RE, but my calculated guess is that they too had a similar issue where an oil cooled twin cylinder engine had to be at lease this wide, with a large oil sump to cool that non-liquid cooled engine. The test riders could have highlighted this placement, the customers can complain too, but there isn't anywhere else that the engineers could have put those foot pegs at.
Totally appreciate your comments and believe that the RE folks would have had their own compulsions for the peg positioning. However, most people, including on this forum, who are complaining of the peg positioning are evaluating how they can get the CGT 650's set-up on this bike. Some want to retro-fit the INT 650's handlebar on the CGT and many others, CGT's pegs on the INT 650 (easier said than done), both with the aim of making the peg positioning better. I think the RE guys could have could have given it a serious thought if it doesn't alter the rider triangle a great deal. At least, the many who are looking at changing their peg positioning seem to be 'hypothetically-ok' with the altered triangle.
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 12:07   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. At least, the many who are looking at changing their peg positioning seem to be 'hypothetically-ok' with the altered triangle.
Hello,
Don't take me wrong, whats your height?
That also plays a crucial role if you need to fit the bike as in stock. Am sure RE will have built the bike with a fair degree of allowance so that people of varying heights can fit into it.
You know something like a one size fits all.

Not to defend RE, but since they are trying to make this a global product possibly they might have other thoughts to cater to ?

If you are short, then suggest you make the bike work for you? That should not be a major impediment for you enjoy the bike.

Do share some photos with you on the bike else do point us to the post if you have already had posted it?

Becomes easier to suggest rather than just speculate
Old 20th February 2019, 12:36   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow are you sure of selling your Versys for this? What is your thought process behind it?
Should have clarified, as in general it does not make sense to trade a versys 650 for the interceptor. Versys is a great bike to cover the entire country and beyond in good comfort, safely and with lots of luggage. But my riding requirements have shifted and am not able to use the bike for its intended purpose. Been using it for mainly city commute and breakfast rides which is not its forte. Its tall, big and heavy for Bangalore B2B traffic. And that is where the bmw G310GS entered my life. Its a nice little bike and ideal for my daily commute requirement and some trails on weekends. I am happy with it, as it does most of what versys can, except the power factor. I have installed an akra on the 310 which is opened-up the engine a bit and even made the exhaust note louder. Versys and 310GS being same genre bikes, also dont see myself using the versys much these days, so thought best to let her go where she will be used for what she is built for. Interceptor for the old connect with RE, retro british classic feel factor, and i also liked it during the test ride. I feel interceptor in combination with 310GS should be a good package for the garage, one for the daily rough grind and occasional trails, other for tarmac based breakfast rides and rare multiday tours.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 20th February 2019 at 12:40.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 12:51   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hello,
Don't take me wrong, whats your height?
That also plays a crucial role if you need to fit the bike as in stock. Am sure RE will have built the bike with a fair degree of allowance so that people of varying heights can fit into it.
You know something like a one size fits all.

Not to defend RE, but since they are trying to make this a global product possibly they might have other thoughts to cater to ?

If you are short, then suggest you make the bike work for you? That should not be a major impediment for you enjoy the bike.

Do share some photos with you on the bike else do point us to the post if you have already had posted it?

Becomes easier to suggest rather than just speculate
I am 5"6". I can flat foot the bike ahead of the pegs and behind the pegs but both those positions are un-natural. I cannot flat-foot the bike with my legs going over the pegs - in which case you need to spread your legs wide. Now this is an issue for people much taller too - I have had people with heights of ~5"8" too complain about how the foot-pegs do not allow them to flat-foot over the pegs. Hence, the desire to make them more rearset so that the feet can be planted straight down from the seating position.
Old 20th February 2019, 17:22   #458
Senior - BHPian

How about moving the pegs forward by another 4 inches or so. Should actually make it very comfy and would position the feet perfectly too.
Old 20th February 2019, 17:44   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
How about moving the pegs forward by another 4 inches or so. Should actually make it very comfy and would position the feet perfectly too.
Ofcourse it would make the bike comfortable, however it is easier said than done
for eg Wouldn't that require a new bracket for the foot pegs at both feet, A new fabricated gear lever and brake lever?
As the engine is kind of bulging out on both sides all of this modification would require spacers
it is best done at the factory or atleast at an experienced setup
Old 20th February 2019, 17:52   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Personally, the protruding engine covers make moving the controls forward very awkward from an ergonomics point of view. Your legs will have to be spread considerably apart to avoid the cases. Rearset if possible should work well because of a provision available on the CGT. The positioning of the pegs themselves should not be a problem since the provision exists as seen on the CGT. However, getting the levers right may need engine covers and internals to be fiddled with if basic structure is absent!. Looks difficult unless RE provides a fix. Foot backward controls, anyone, anti-Harley...
Old 20th February 2019, 17:58   #461
Senior - BHPian

Foot backwards is very easy as the INT bracket is mounted at the exact same holes at which the CGT peg mount. The brake lever is a master cylinder setup. can be easily moved with a maximum problem of changing the brake fluid hose.
The Gear lever of the CGT can be easily transferred to the INT as both are different systems. INT is a linkage based system and CGT is a direct lever on shaft system.

Open a clear pic of the Foot Pegs of both bikes and read the above paragraph again. You'll know what to do.

For me it will have to be foot forward control and it will have to be wider. It will be a tougher job as the mounting plate will have to be new and made in a different manner and strengthened as well. Brake and gear levers are not an issue at all. Mount is!
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 18:09   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks difficult unless RE provides a fix. Foot backward controls, anyone, anti-Harley...
Finally understand your predicament, let me check in the showroom when I visit them this week as I need to collect a few documents.

Why would you not want to buy the GT650 and get it fitted with the Interceptor Handle bars? Believe that will be more cheaper PLUS you get a quicker delivery.

Ok the color scheme might not be of your taste (not sure which you have chosen) but the coffin tank on the GT does look real good. Only hassle is the petrol tank which means one liter less which again you need to sign off.

Guess this is more practical than doing it other way around. No fiddling with the mount points, no upsetting the main cycle parts as the handle bar is an easier job when compared to fitting rear sets.

And you will not get the main stand, plus your posture will change since the legs will be more rear set.

Last edited by ku69rd : 20th February 2019 at 18:21.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 18:14   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Finally understand your predicament, let me check in the showroom when I visit them this week as I need to collect a few documents.

Why would you not want to buy the GT650 and get it fitted with the Interceptor Handle bars? Believe that will be more cheaper PLUS you get a quicker delivery.

Ok the color scheme might not be of your taste (not sure which you have chosen) but the coffin tank on the GT does look real good. Only hassle is the petrol tank which means one liter less which again you need to sign off.

Guess this is more practical than doing it other way around. No fiddling with the mount points, no upsetting the main cycle parts as the handle bar is an easier job when compared to fitting rear sets.
I booked the Baker Express on the day of launch. I love the color scheme but I am totally ok to sign up for the CGT Ice Queen if the Interceptor handlebar can be retrofit on the CGT without any hassle. Can you kindly enquire this as well at the dealership when you visit them?
Old 21st February 2019, 00:25   #464
BHPian

Lot of discussions about the foot peg positioning. Yes this was an irritation. However, only for few days. After two months into ownership and clocking 2600 km, I must say that the foot pegs does not bother me at all, even in the bumper to bumper traffic.
As many has pointed that this may be a design compromise.

On another note the seat is bother some. I did my first long ride. 435 +435 km. You feel uncomfortable after 50 km, and I could ride only max 120 km with out a break. Has any one installed the touring seat?. Would like to get the feedback
Old 21st February 2019, 08:54   #465
Senior - BHPian

Red Rooster Performance pipes review.

It comes with a db killer which can be removed. Does sound good, especially without the db killer.

Skip to 4 mins for the exhaust note and the last few seconds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks