Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2024, 16:01   #4516

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Modified my initial batch Interceptor after a long time. The bike has covered slightly over 7000 km in 5 years. Not many long drives, as the tubed tyres always kept bothering in the back of mind and had other options with 310GS and Z800. Interceptor has its own uniqueness with a good combination of power and comfort suitable for long rides. Thanks to team bhp contributors on this thread, which helped immensely in my decision.

1. Interceptor 18" alloy on front with Vredestein 100/90 stock size tyre

2. Meteor 17" alloy for rear with Apollo 150/60 tyre

3. FuelX Pro+

Very happy with the upgrades as the road grip, handling, engine smoothness/throttle response has much improved. Alloys and front tyres were bought from Fixwell motors, JC Road and rear tyre from Amazon. Though the alloy designs are different, it is not very evident.

Have Powerage exhausts past 2 years with K&N filters. Tempted to go for the headers as well, but holding back for another day. Am aware of benefits as my z800 has a Termignoni full system with Bazzaz TC, which completely transformed the bike.
I'm on the verge of getting similar wheels combo. Do fill in how much of a difference has it made on the handling characteristics of your bike.
Old 12th August 2024, 21:07   #4517
BHPian

Hey can anyone list the issues with the BS4 interceptors? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the BS4 model over the BS6 bikes?
Old 13th August 2024, 12:39   #4518
BHPian

Quote:
1. Interceptor 18" alloy on front with Vredestein 100/90 stock size tyre
2. Meteor 17" alloy for rear with Apollo 150/60 tyre
Any idea if we can use the 18" + 17" wheels combo from Shotgun 650?
That way, we'll get to use the same design in the front and rear.
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 05:52   #4519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
Hey can anyone list the issues with the BS4 interceptors? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the BS4 model over the BS6 bikes?
Are there any issues at all with the BS4 models? None that I know of. Some faulty relays at the most, which is easily rectified.

The BS6 bikes are better on color options, equipment such as the led headlamp, new switchgear and levers and alloy rims. Can't really think of anything else.

I can't say for sure what RE have done. When I rode FM Tharian's bike (I assume that is BS6), it felt agile. There is something they have done to the chassis, steering cone set or wheels. There was a sense of better stiffness in the chassis. My bike feels a bit loose and all over the place at times. I can't quite place what it is. The bike was less snatchy on the throttle too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:23   #4520
BHPian

I am contemplating on getting a top box for my Interceptor since I only use this bike for touring and it's much easier to handle the luggage with safety point of view.

I hardly see any images of top box on inty on the internet.
Looks like it's not a favorite thing to do by Inty owners.
Have seen couple of videos where the chassis cracked due to load/weight of the loaded top box.

So, with all that in mind, does anyone use Top box here? Can I get some images of you bikes with top box for reference?
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:35   #4521
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I am contemplating on getting a top box for my Interceptor since I only use this bike for touring and it's much easier to handle the luggage with safety point of view.
Read this post before you do

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5822318 (Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!)

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 10:20   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
If you are in BLR, I have a SHAD42 + rear rack that I am happy to let go for cheap. Used it more in the city than touring, and my commuting days are over, so don't need it. Here are my observations:

Good: Most convenient style of luggage I have used. Put my office backpack on weekdays and veggies on weekends.

Bad: On stock set up I had no issues. But once I put risers (needed for preload adjusters), the front did feel less planted when the box was heavy. I think it's because the risers moved weight off the bars. I also found that with a pillion this issue didn't happen.

Not a very glamourous shot but should give you an idea.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20230819_100235010.jpg
ostrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 13:25   #4523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Are there any issues at all with the BS4 models? None that I know of. Some faulty relays at the most, which is easily rectified..
Would you say it’s a bad idea on getting a used bs4 bike without warranty? If full service history is available?
Old 14th August 2024, 14:35   #4524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you say it’s a bad idea on getting a used bs4 bike without warranty? If full service history is available?
Don't see any reasons to not to get one; if the service history throws no red flags and you get a good deal. There's many going for sale so negotiate well; especially if the bike has been maintained well.

Quote:
So, with all that in mind, does anyone use Top box here? Can I get some images of you bikes with top box for reference?
Have been riding with a topbox for years now; and thousands of kms covered across highway and city drives. No issue faced.

Bike image link.

Product link.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th August 2024 at 14:39.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 14:40   #4525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Don't see any reasons to not to get one; if the service history throws no red flags and you get a good deal. There's many going for sale so negotiate well; especially if the bike has been maintained well.
What are some red flags to look out for , and precautionary methods to take? Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Old 15th August 2024, 04:35   #4526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No.

There are two camps to owning vehicles. Those who don't mind to gamble a little with a used vehicle and some who don't see the value in it. Its a personal preference.

You need to understand that a used vehicle will never be as perfect as a new one. Even if it has a clean service record and has never missed a beat. It was used by someone else. Wear and tear is expected. If you can't make peace with that, then I don't suggest buying used. You cannot expect flawless operation or perfect cosmetic condition. A fault may arise and that does not mean its the end of the world. You will need to fix it, out of pocket. Factor that into what you are willing to pay.

Its also down to cost. If you can score a bike for less than half of what it costs for a new one, that is a significant saving. You'll have to make peace with what you don't get, compared to a new one. You can always upgrade components, modify the bike. Improve it along the way.

A thorough inspection is needed. I could write a long check list here. However, something that nobody could ever think of can fail, thats not on the check list.

If you have access to a good mechanic, take them along to inspect the bike. Yes; you will have to pay them. Will save you a world of pain versus risking it by yourself. Prepare for some disappointment as well. Its better than landing yourself a pile of junk. Owner willing to have the bike inspected. If the owner has an issue, walk away. That simple.

To end, you need to keep in mind that a BS4 bike is now quite old.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 09:20   #4527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashash View Post
I'm on the verge of getting similar wheels combo. Do fill in how much of a difference has it made on the handling characteristics of your bike.
Had been on a morning drive today. The handling has definitely improved compared to stock. Your experience may vary a bit as my tyres were over 5 years old, but you wont go wrong with the combination. No wonder many bikes like Shotgun, Harley 440 and BSA Goldstar go with similar size.

I had an Yamaha RX 135 with broader Yezdi rear tyre and went for 17" at the rear due to better tyre options and nostalgic reason.

The bike feels lighter to maneuver and is agile at slow speeds probably due to newer Vredestein tyre. My earlier front tyre had hardened and developed cracks.

Visually there appears to be more gap at the rear end, but the height of 150 70 r17 is almost equal to stock 130 70 r18. Road grip seems to have improved due to the broader tyre. The wobbly behaviour with my old stock tyre is gone for good.

Bike feels fantastic to ride at higher speeds with the new alloys/tyres. I enjoyed the peppy ride with FuelX Pro+ and Powerage slip on exhausts.

I did not notice much change in the breaking as I use 70-30 front-rear while breaking. Maybe it will improve as the new tyres wear out a bit. As my drive was on highways, I cannot comment on how the bike handles on twisties.
Mogs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 09:39   #4528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Any idea if we can use the 18" + 17" wheels combo from Shotgun 650?
That way, we'll get to use the same design in the front and rear.
I think it is a great possibility if you can source it. Shotgun uses larger disks at rear and you should confirm fitment at workshop before you buy. Since the Shotgun is a new launch, availability may take some time. My contact at RE showroom said it was not available.

I blindly went for Meteor alloys for rear, as many had confirmed direct fitment with the interceptor rear setup. Sincere thanks to the contributors here.
Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 14:37   #4529
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is a great possibility if you can source it. ........
Yes, I do plan to check with RE Service Center about it; though I'm sure they either won't have much information or they won't be enthusiastic about the change or both!

Even I had almost finalised going for the Hunter/Meteor setup owing to their being almost direct fitment for front & rear. I was just randomly browsing the specs of Shotgun and realised it has 18" at front and 17" rear and this idea cropped up!

I will need a tyre change soon; let's hope I'm able to get some validation on this idea as I really really want to go for tubless tyres.
Old 16th August 2024, 14:42   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrish View Post

Bad: On stock set up I had no issues. But once I put risers (needed for preload adjusters), the front did feel less planted when the box was heavy. I think it's because the risers moved weight off the bars.

Attachment 2641560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Have been riding with a topbox for years now; and thousands of kms covered across highway and city drives. No issue faced.

Thanks and that's reassuring.

How has the stability (affected) post 100-120 kmph? does it get bad in those speeds? Or it makes no difference?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks