Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2024, 19:27   #4426
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post

Could it be that the alternator is not working correctly? Or should I get something else checked?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
There have been various mentions of the RR unit malfunctioning in this forum.Many owners have had the RR Unit replaced.Do get it checked.

Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 20:04   #4427

Quote:
Could it be that the alternator is not working correctly? Or should I get something else checked?
1. Charge the battery externally and measure its voltage. It should be equal to or above 12.6V. If yes, battery isn't the problem.

2. Connect a charged battery, start the bike and measure the voltage across the battery terminals. If should be around 14 V or so. Revv the engine slightly, see that the charging voltage is around 14-15 V. If this doesn't happen, then most likely your RR unit or alternator is faulty.

3. To check alternator, you need to disconnect the alternator-RR unit connection and check the resistance across each of the three coils in the 3-pin connector. If we label the three pins as 1, 2 and 3, then 1-2, 2-3, 1-3 resistances should the same. If not, alternator is faulty.

The connector is located between the engine and EVAP charcoal canister. Here's how to disconnect -

4. If alternator is fine and charging voltage is low, RR unit is the likely culprit.

5. If charging voltage is fine and your battery still drains, then there must be something in the wiring that's draining the battery. Better go through the earlier steps, can methodically troubleshoot.

Alternator generates AC, RR (Rectifier Regulator) converts AC to DC.

All 650 twins have RR unit sandwiched between engine and EVAP charcoal canister - this is visible above the center stand. This location doesn't get enough airflow to cool the RR unit - hence burnt RR units are common in the 650 twins.

I'd say, faulty RR unit is the likely issue, alternator is probably fine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Kirthy : 5th June 2024 at 20:16. Reason: Clearer explanation
Kirthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 16:57   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I have been facing a very peculiar problem with my Interceptor 650 (bought pre-owned with around 33k kms on it).

The problem is, that if I leave the bike parked for a few days (ranging from 5-10 days), the battery goes kaput and the bike refuses to start. The starter motor fives a tick-tick sound (like it used to be in the case of older cars when battery was down). Sometime, I'm able to push start it, sometimes even that fails. I got the battery replaced under warranty a few weeks back, but the problem remains.

Last night, I tried to start it after 9 days (was out of country) and it didn't start again.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

The battery is being drained when sitting idle, so this is not RR issue or alternator issue. Those are charging components and they will show up as the battery not getting charged. You have already replaced the battery so that is not the culprit either.

Check if there are any accessories or aux light harness that are plugged directly to battery. There should be no load on the battery once the bike is switched off.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 18:01   #4429

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
There should be no load on the battery once the bike is switched off.
@jsrakkar - To check this, install the charged battery back in the bike and:

1. Connect multimeter as ammeter in series with battery terminals. Check for any draining current (could be very small, so adjust the settings). OR

2. Take daily voltage readings across the battery terminals.

Either of these should indicate whether there's a load draining your battery.

Also check your alternator fuse. It's the first green one in the fuse box under the seat.
Kirthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 17:07   #4430

Farewell Interceptor 650

Have moved on from interceptor 650, did 32000kms in a span of 1 year and 8 months, 4 set of tyres, 4 set of brake shoes, rear shocker changed once, full fuel injector system changed once under warranty, And a whole lot of fun later I bid adieu to my 2022 interceptor 650. Had a lot of fun riding the amazing machine but it was time to move on.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_4576-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_5413-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_8302-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_8315-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_8347-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_8355-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_8369-2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg  

Zyppher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 19:16   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
Red Rooster vs. Powerage vs. AEW
I have been using the Powerage exhaust for the last 15000 kms. It sounds very close to stock at low rpms and speeds.It is a little more loud at high rpms and on spirited riding but not in an offensive way.

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2024 at 12:35. Reason: Adding spacing after punctuation :)
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 22:24   #4432

After months of deliberation, finally got my Blue Bull.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20240611_221303.jpg
sks2610 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 09:49   #4433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I have been facing a very peculiar problem with my Interceptor 650 (bought pre-owned with around 33k kms on it).

The problem is, that if I leave the bike parked for a few days (ranging from 5-10 days), the battery goes kaput and the bike refuses to start. The starter motor fives a tick-tick sound (like it used to be in the case of older cars when battery was down). Sometime, I'm able to push start it, sometimes even that fails. I got the battery replaced under warranty a few weeks back, but the problem remains.

Last night, I tried to start it after 9 days (was out of country) and it didn't start again.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
I had a similar issue with my Interceptor 650. It began with the horn and headlamp getting weaker at traffic stops, and the battery light coming on while idling. The RR unit was replaced, and this made the voltage issue at idle go away.

However, the battery continued to lose charge when the bike was parked for 2-3 days at a stretch, culminating in a no-start, click-click sound from the starter. I suspected a weak battery, and changed it. Battery drain issue persisted.

Since my motorcycle runs an aftermarket ECU, hazard flasher, LED headlamp and auxiliary lights, I thought that one of these components may be causing the parasitic drain. Gave my bike to an independent garage, who returned it after a week, saying all's well. Battery went dead yet again, and I had to push start.

Finally, went to Indimotard, and they took about a week to diagnose the issue. They measured battery charge overnight by disconnecting the accessories one-by-one. Eventually, the culprit was the Bobo mobile phone holder-charger that was connected directly to the battery, and sucking power. Removing that accessory has fixed the battery drain issue.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 14:43   #4434
BHPian

I recently shifted from Meteor 350 to interceptor 650. One thing I could not adjust was to the rock hard clutch play. I have ridden 400kms till now and I don't think I can adjust to this.

So, took a leap of faith (even though internet reviews were kind of contradicting) and bought the pro-spec easy clutch.

I went to their office, spoke to them about the reviews and bought it from them. Also went to their recommended service center for the installation just to be sure nothing is messed up.

Voila, the difference is night and day. One can press the clutch even with one finger.

With 50kms of riding experience on this easy clutch, i feel 3700 (3200 + 500 labour) was well spent.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-prospec.jpg

Last edited by livyodream : 14th June 2024 at 14:49.
livyodream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 15:02   #4435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I recently shifted from Meteor 350 to interceptor 650. One thing I could not adjust was to the rock hard clutch play. I have ridden 400kms till now and I don't think I can adjust to this.

So, took a leap of faith (even though internet reviews were kind of contradicting) and bought the pro-spec easy clutch.

I went to their office, spoke to them about the reviews and bought it from them. Also went to their recommended service center for the installation just to be sure nothing is messed up.

Voila, the difference is night and day. One can press the clutch even with one finger.

With 50kms of riding experience on this easy clutch, i feel 3700 (3200 + 500 labour) was well spent.

Attachment 2616946

https://Youtu.be/SmlupPwH1tM?si=E3xpVPdVtiXHhoEB
These devices will just reduce the clutch action, check the movement of the clutch with and without this device. It might end up damaging the clutch. I have an interceptor and the clutch is pretty easy to operate. How old is you bike ? Trying changing the clutch cable.
Rahulkool is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 07:15   #4436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Has anyone used these tyres or know how good they are on the Interceptor? Some online reviews are positive.

Attachment 2609520

Pic taken from a Reddit review.

So looks like the Reise tyres I decided on, has a lower speed rating than the stock tyres which removes those tyres from the list.
What are the other options in stock size for tubeless tyres apart from CEAT and Vredesteins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
Guys whats your opinion about the offtrails exhaust. Here's what the company says about their product 'Each exhaust is handcrafted with utmost care and designed to the specification provided. The exhaust is held together by TIG welding 306 grade stainless steel.The end caps are made from aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminium and is anodised for durability. dB killers comes with the package for reducing the noise.'
There is a dedicated thread now to help you finalize.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ge-vs-aew.html (Which after-market exhaust for Interceptor 650? Red Rooster vs. Powerage vs. AEW)
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 14:25   #4437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
So looks like the Reise tyres I decided on, has a lower speed rating than the stock tyres which removes those tyres from the list.
What are the other options in stock size for tubeless tyres apart from CEAT and Vredesteins?
]
Please check with Throttle and Thump.They have something in MRF but I do not have the specifications

Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 07:56   #4438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Please check with Throttle and Thump.They have something in MRF but I do not have the specifications

Cheers
Thanks for the link. There were few options to choose from. I decided to go with the MRF's just for the heck of it. I am wondering if the Vredestein rear radial tyre will make a difference instead of the MRF.

Looks like I need to replace the existing tyre at the earliest too since there looks like another small puncture on the rear and I could see a wet patch because of the puncture sealant.
Old 17th June 2024, 09:40   #4439
BHPian

Somehow,I am very reluctant to change the stock rims to alloys. I may be a little old fashioned but I like the bike this way.
So,no alloys for me. It has to be tubed tyres for me.I have ordered the front tyre ( Ceat ) from Bangalore and will get it in a couple of days (Torque Block).

They have Vredestein tyres too but I did not check the price.

Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:21   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Somehow,I am very reluctant to change the stock rims to alloys. I may be a little old fashioned but I like the bike this way.
So,no alloys for me. It has to be tubed tyres for me.I have ordered the front tyre ( Ceat ) from Bangalore and will get it in a couple of days (Torque Block).

They have Vredestein tyres too but I did not check the price.

Cheers
I am from the same school too regarding the looks. But, having experienced a flat tyre and the time taken to refit the wheel, I decided to go for tubeless for peace of mind, especially on the highway.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks