Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2024, 15:09   #4381
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
Took a test drive of the GT650 today and it was not what I expected at all. The whole front end just felt heavy - and this "heaviness" was amplified by the hard clutch and throttle. Had to put in quite some effort into wringing the throttle to get it moving through the gears. The bike only had 3500 kms on the odo. Just can't imagine a bike with such low mileage being so hard to ride.
Thats plain lack of maintenance. A simple squirt of WD40 into the cables should make them smooth again.
Won't comment on the front end of the bike. I've had issues with mine ever since its had a fall. Have gotten the coneset bearing changed, forks have been checked for alignment, pre load adjusters have been installed but I still don't find it to be properly set up. At low speeds it feels very heavy and lacks any response. I've given up on trying to get it to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel View Post
I've owned my GT 650 for a year now, and it's been a pleasure to ride. I've clocked around 7,000 km so far, all within city limits. However, my front brake pads seem to be worn out and need replacing. Any suggestions on good brake pads to choose from? Also, is it normal for the brake pads to wear out at 7,000 km?
This should not be the case, the pads on mine still have some life left after 18k kms. The bike has done 35.5k kms, I don't know if the pads were replaced before I got the bike (at 16.5k kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiuday View Post
Sharing a quick update to the mod I’ve done to my touring screen. I had options to either get the screen off completely and would have to be discarded and go for something aftermarket. But I’m pretty sure, my family will soon kick me out if I keep spending on windscreens.
interesting mod, keep us informed on the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
Well that's quite interesting that the newer bikes are getting such a significantly higher fuel efficiency and that too effortless. Usually what I've heard is that the newer E-20 bikes are having less fuel efficiency than the non E-20 bikes.
Under steady highway riding I get close to mid 30's from my bike (2019 / BS4)
For the daily office commutes I get low 20s
I'd be very surprised if the newer bikes are magically more efficient under city conditions.
jomson13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:25   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

Under steady highway riding I get close to mid 30's from my bike (2019 / BS4)
For the daily office commutes I get low 20s
I'd be very surprised if the newer bikes are magically more efficient under city conditions.
Just curious and it would help me in getting more out of my bike, at what rpm band do you ride in to extract 30kmpl?
Try as I might I don't get anything more than 25kmpl and I ride at 4k rpm to set an average speed of 100kmph.
adrift@life is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 13:15   #4383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

interesting mod, keep us informed on the performance.
I did ride for around 250 kms post the mod to the touring screen. While it is much better after the mod and can feel no resistance at the screen anymore or pressure on the chest or buffeting on the helmet between 90-120 kmph, I still feel it’s not perfect for any higher speeds as it is not inclined but straight meaning it’ll resist winds when faster or with strong headwinds. For the cost and all the changes required to make it work somewhat better, if I have to suggest, I’ll simply not recommend the touring screen to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
Just curious and it would help me in getting more out of my bike, at what rpm band do you ride in to extract 30kmpl?
Try as I might I don't get anything more than 25kmpl and I ride at 4k rpm to set an average speed of 100kmph.
I’ve got 31 kmpl once and this was while gently varying rpm on a highway ride but maintaining it under 4.5k rpm before the first service. Kept it under 110 kmph for reference and made sure to be in the 6th gear. Was a pleasant surprise! Post that in 70-30 highway to city conditions, going upto 5.5k rpm at times, it’s in the range of 23-26 kmpl. The worst I’ve seen was 19.5 on my first tank full in pure Hyderabad city riding conditions. I think the key is to accelerate gently, let go off the throttle early to use engine braking, then use brakes smoothly as necessary, unless you need to brake to come to a halt. I’m not sure I’ll continue doing this post a couple thousand kms but that’s what I’m doing now during my perceived run in period.

On another note, my bike sways at speeds above 100 even before I had the touring screen on. It’s an alloy wheel variant and happens when I’m holding onto the handlebar unlike what others notice when leaving the bar, and I’m definitely sure I’m gentle and not holding it stiff. Sometimes it’s like the rear wheel swaying while at times it feels like the front end. While I’m planning to change the fork oil and get preload spacers (not adjusters) to see if it makes a difference, wanted to check if anyone else is facing this issue with the stock setup.
raiuday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 23:01   #4384

Re: RE touring screen for INT 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiuday View Post
Do I recommend doing all this? Not really! Get an aftermarket one which was tried and tested instead. If you’ve the touring screen already and doesn’t work for you, you may try this but don’t wrap the screen at the end! It looks ugly.
Hey Uday, can you send me a DM? I need some details on the windscreen and pillion shifter.

PS: I took delivery of my Barcelona Blue 5 days ago. Booked and got it in 20 days.
Crank270 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 01:20   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank270 View Post
Hey Uday, can you send me a DM? I need some details on the windscreen and pillion shifter.

PS: I took delivery of my Barcelona Blue 5 days ago. Booked and got it in 20 days.
Hey! Congratulations on getting the Inty.

I dropped a message but unsure if you’d be able to respond or access the same.
raiuday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 23:47   #4386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank270 View Post

Congratulations
I have also booked a Barcelona Blue around 35 days back, still waiting for an allocation...
Abhidgp1990 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 15:51   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
My cruising speeds are around 90-100 so the rpm is close to 4k in 6th gear. You should see similar efficiency as mine.
Try rolling off the throttle and keeping it steady just enough to maintain the required speed. Frequency opening closing of the throttle does not help.
jomson13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 18:59   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I have been contemplating getting the New Himalayan 450, and one line of thought was trading my 650 baker express for the same.

But every time i ride my bike, it gives me reasons not to let it go. Over years, with some mods and customizations here and there, the bike is quite suited to my requirements. The ergonomics (sitting or standing) feels even better then Xpulse. The bikes does fairly well off the road and on trails as well, thanks to some suspension mods. I like how it sounds as well with the 270 degrees firing and with the light weight AEW exhaust.

The Odometer is already around 30k kms and i do not even remember how we have done that as this is like my 2nd bike.

Sharing some pics from the Sankranti trail ride.
Could you please share the link of the aux light mount that you are using?
TIA
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 22:14   #4389
BHPian

Turbocharged 650 anyone?

This came in my feed. The guy takes diy to another level.
adrift@life is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:49   #4390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhidgp1990 View Post
Congratulations
I have also booked a Barcelona Blue around 35 days back, still waiting for an allocation...
Congratulations and hope you don’t have to wait long.

What Uday and I have experienced that customising the bike with the touring seat has more changed of reaching early than normal customised one. I was told the same by the dealer and I think I just got lucky to get it in 20 days.
Crank270 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 17:36   #4391
BHPian

Double-take mirrors

Owing to cramped parking spaces and my negligence I broke my RH mirror. Took the LH mirror fitted to the RH side and rode it for a while, contemplating whether to go for the RE Black accessory mirrors or Avenger mirrors.
Came across the double-take mirrors a few years back but ignored it due to the cost.
I recently found an Indian-made Double-take mirror at 1500 online and thought I would try it. But I got cold feet because of the online reviews I read after the purchase and tried to cancel the order to no avail as it was shipped.
After installation took it for a spin of 100 km and within a few minutes realized it was money down the drain as it wouldn't stay even for a minute at highway speeds, which is an accident waiting to happen.
However, in city limits, it stayed put without any issue unless I went over a big pothole at high speeds.
The field of view it offers when it stays in place is great, however it vibrates a lot. I wish this sasta double-take mirror had solved my rearview mirror need; however, I am still on the hunt for the perfect mirror and will stay on the bike until then.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20240524wa0014.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20240524wa0015.jpg  

adrift@life is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 17:04   #4392
Senior - BHPian

Picked up the alloy wheels today from Fixwell motors on JC road. Paid 16.5k. I am not planning to fit them right away since there is still some life left on the stock CEAT tyres.
I was checking the costs for Vredesteins and they quoted 20k for a pair! Another shop where I picked up a set of 19" Reise tyres for a Bullet quoted 11k for the same, but they were early 2023 make.
There is a Reise tyre dealer near my place who said he can get the tyres for the Interceptor. Although I'll have to fix the tyres on the alloys there and get them mounted on the bike at the service center since they are not that well versed on mounting wheels with disc brakes.

Has anyone used these tyres or know how good they are on the Interceptor? Some online reviews are positive.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_6160.jpeg

Pic taken from a Reddit review.

Last edited by tharian : 25th May 2024 at 17:07.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 08:09   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Picked up the alloy wheels today from Fixwell motors on JC road. Paid 16.5k. I am not planning to fit them right away since there is still some life left on the stock CEAT tyres.
I was checking the costs for Vredesteins and they quoted 20k for a pair
Are you sure about the Vredestein prices, I got a pair for my int 650 for 9k from Fixwell motors. I got both alloys and Vredestein tyres fixed from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20230924_120440.jpg  

vivek_k_p is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 09:05   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I was checking the costs for Vredesteins and they quoted 20k for a pair!
Throttle and Thump quote Rs.13,000 for a pair including shipping.

Do check with them.

You can message them through their Instagram account.They respond immediately

Cheers

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 26th May 2024 at 09:06. Reason: Adding content
rajeevsulu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 16:51   #4395

I personally think that the Ceats are just rubbish.. they provide no grip whatsoever when there is some amount of loose dirt or some water on the road. I am feeling the lack of grip even while braking. Even though my bike is just 6 months old, I'm feeling the urge to change them right away.

I know this might sound very dumb. I wanted to put the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 on my Interceptor for the longest time. Even before I got the bike, I used to imagine the bike with those tyres. But I cant seem to find a front tyre for the interceptor in the Scorpion Trail 2. Thought of putting that 150 section Trail 2 on the rear and find a suitable one for the front. Is this even possible?? I have heard people put two different tyres on their bikes in the off-road world. Also I am planning to get the Way2Speed tubeless conversion with it. What do you guys think about it? Should i try to make it work or just get the Vredestiens? Really want that 150 section at the rear though.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th May 2024 at 17:59. Reason: Unsupported smileys
kaza is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed