Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2023, 12:28   #3976
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Check with AEW or order it off their website. I don't think they will sell just a single piece. Also they are not generic, since size and shape differs between manufactures.
Thanks, just placed the order on their website. Also, noted on the stage 2 kit in the post above. Will move back to stock.

By the way, I installed the DNA air filter 2 years back. What should be the frequency of cleaning? I don't think Service center guys clean it when going for regular service right? Anyways, I just ordered the cleaning/ servicing kit from DNA.
Marias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 14:04   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
What should be the frequency of cleaning?
Atleast every 4-5k Kms.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:13   #3978
BHPian

Since the previous post was moved out into a new thread, quoting a link here for reference:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5596869 (My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 | Ownership Review)

Got the fork seals replaced, Oil used was a 5W one. I was recommended to go in for 10W but decided to try 5W on the insistence of my mechanic.
There is a huge difference in the front end now, earlier it would hit back violently during low speed bumps (like the speed breakers installed within society limits), now it glides quite smoothly over them - big difference felt on the handlebars.

Bike is much more easier to handle over the stupendously smooth and crater free roads in Pune. I didn't feel the need to stand up and ride today on my way to office.

Earlier the bike would bounce off such undulations, now the wheel tracks the surface properly.

Only one problem, the fork has been scuffed a bit (probably by some loose dirt that got in through the broken seal). This has been temporarily fixed by sanding it down but I have been warned to expect a greasy fork in the future Let's see how long it holds up.

Total damage 2000, inclusive of fork seals, fork oil and labor.
jomson13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 09:57   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

Here's a small update. I got off work early and was able to take a longer route back home. The throttle response is noticeably more immediate and that makes it fun and I feel a slight difference in low speed crawling uphill as well. Also the engine felt hotter than usual after the run and I did burn myself a tad. I find that a bit concerning to be very honest.

I still don't have an answer as to if the new filter is worth it. Once I do, I'll be sure to post about it.
You need to remap your fueling. All performance air filters have the basic ability to supply the engine with more air than stock (hence the classic line "the engine breathes better"). Till recent times, the stock fueling on most vehicles was good enough to compensate this increased air with more fuel. With bs4 it got tricky and with bs6, almost all vehicles run stupid lean. Manufacturers are using every trick in the book and then some more, to qualify for the stricter norms.
My bs6 rc390 was so anemic when I bought it first I was wondering if I made the wrong call. It had absolutely no power below 5000rpm. Ran way more hot than my bs4 d390 (I always thought it was the fairing that caused the heating) even though both vehicles had engine ice coolant. And it had the very very annoying problem of stalling when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear when rolling to a stop (rev matching helped only a little bit).
5 months down the line, I was very upset and was almost thinking of letting the rc390 go. My 2017 rc200 never gave me any issue like this and was ready to race from the first day of delivery. The only thing that kept me hanging onto it was it's crazy ability of carrying insane speeds through corners. And then I saw a YouTube ad for fuel x pro of, I think it was a Himalayan. And then i thought what the hell, let's go for it.
Got the fuel x pro and K and N performance filter. Set it up myself, took 45 minutes. I didn't want the adjustment buttons outside so it took a few cable routing techniques under the fairing and now it sits pretty inside the battery compartment. The default setting for fueling was at level 3. Started the engine. The bike growled to life in a way I had not heard it before. My eyes lit up. Took a test ride. It was indeed pulling better on acceleration and I was able to hear quite a bit of the engine as well, not just the exhaust. But the stalling issue persisted. Stopped the bike. Opened the battery cover. Set the fueling level to 5. Heard more of the engine noise and the startup growl was even better. My grin widened. Pushed the level to 7. Started the bike. Now the engine noise was far more prominent from the seat. Almost muted the exhaust note. Put on the earplugs and helmet. Still could hear the engine roar on revving it up. Slotted first gear and opened the throttle. The bike almost lifted it's front wheel. The acceleration was manic. And the best part, there was no stalling no matter what I did. I could not stop grinning the entire day.
Took an hour long ride that night. The bike was running like a dream. It had better power delivery than my d390. No stalling. Had lesser vibes and over time, gave me better fuel economy. I suspect that would be because now i could run a higher gear at lower rpm for the same speed while cruising without the engine threatening to disintegrate. And to this day, I can't stop recommending the air filter and fueling mod to anyone with a bs6 vehicle.
P.s. it cleared the PUCC easily on level 7 fueling as well. So super happy about it .

TL DR - purchased a bs6 rc390. Had power and stalling issues . Got the performance air filter and piggyback fuel mod to alleviate the lean tune from the factory. Bike now runs like a dream.

Last edited by The_Medic : 8th August 2023 at 10:01. Reason: TL DR got converted into an emoticon when I used the : symbol.
The_Medic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 21:59   #3980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Medic View Post
You need to remap your fueling. ... Bike now runs like a dream.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to resort to a remap, especially after what happened yesterday. She hasn't really stalled as such but the engine cut out very abruptly as I was leaving the office. The exit is an uneven upward slope that goes onto a downward slope, almost perpendicular to the exit. It's always been a tricky turn and I've almost fallen a couple of times and actually fallen once with my Dad riding pillion, but not because the engine cut out. This time I lost power and I couldn't hold her up. Luckily this time I was wearing shoes and jumped off and let her fall. (A couple of months back, thanks to a speeding rickshaw, I braked hard and she fell on my leg with the handlebar and brake lever going into my right foot.) I think I have to be careful with the clutch at low RPMs hereafter.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 09:19   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I think I have to be careful with the clutch at low RPMs hereafter.
Drag the rear brakes with minimal clutch. A much better technique for tight tricky corners.

And yes, a fuel remap is the obvious accompaniment to performance air filter. Let me know how it goes. Cheers!
The_Medic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:34   #3982
BHPian

Planning to explore the Interceptor for an occasional early morning ride around the city. No plans to tour. How important is it to get the alloy wheel version - price is not that important? I dont like the all blacked out engine and exhausts and like it in red/chrome

How difficult / impractical is it if you have a puncture? Please share your experiences.
Old 20th August 2023, 06:09   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
How difficult / impractical is it if you have a puncture? Please share your experiences.
I have no practical experience in dealing with this situation on the Interceptor. However, from owning older bikes with a tube and having to deal with a flat, I'd say its impractical.

A tube tire means you will need to unmount the wheel in the event you do have a flat and need to replace the tube. No getting away from this. They haven't made this process easy. The chain adjuster need to be slackened , the chain needs to come of the rear sprocket and so does the disc brake caliper. Not to forget the valve stem. Should be an easy job for a tire shop. Not if you have to do this yourself. You'll need the manual beside you to do this and not all of us carry this while out on a ride. In some cases, you could pull just the tube out and fit a puncture patch if its a small leak.

I do see the appeal of a spoke wheel setup. Personally, I prefer this.

If you have the option to buy the bike with an alloy wheel and tubeless tire option, I'd definitely prefer this over the tube solution. Practicality and ease of repair take importance more than looks.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 10:46   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
How important is it to get the alloy wheel version - price is not that important? I dont like the all blacked out engine and exhausts and like it in red/chrome

I'd say just get the alloys. Had a puncture once on my Himalayan, went through hell, detailed it on the link below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5472869 (A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan)

But I do agree that the spoked wheels really compliment the look of RE Bikes
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 11:02   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
Get the alloys! I just got a set for my silver interceptor 650. I've had only one puncture on the rear wheel in 4 years of ownership. But, the difficulty I faced locating a puncture repair guy who was willing to deal with a tube type tyre and disc brake was enough to make me jump and order a pair of alloys at the first available opportunity.

I don't like the black colour of the alloys. It makes the bike look a bit lower in my opinion. But, I'm a lot less apprehensive riding out of the city now.
ashenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 12:53   #3986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to explore the Interceptor for an occasional early morning ride around the city. No plans to tour. How important is it to get the alloy wheel version - price is not that important? I dont like the all blacked out engine and exhausts and like it in red/chrome

For your requirements, I wouldn't really spend the money. Have had punctures on my 650 over the 4+ years of ownership, and it is not that hard to get the puncture repaired. Get the RSA if you want peace of mind - they do provide support for puncture too (have availed their services too in the past).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 14:53   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Definitely get the alloys version, all the thought of that it will be easy to fix a puncture goes for a toss when you get one. It's an Ordeal you do not want to put yourself through. If you do not like the blacked out version (Whcih again will be a boon compared to the current one which is a pain to clean), you can get the normal version and get alloys wheels, but that is an added expense.

I am personally selling my baker express, which already has alloys, and get the all black version in Blue now.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 16:31   #3988
BHPian

I have 2020 baker express INT, it it huge nuisance to have a puncture. The rear tyre is difficult to remove and riding on punctured tyre will require tube replacement. I carry backup tube as tyre shops don't keep 130 size tubes.

The alloys are worth buying, if you don't want the all black treatment then buy the spoke wheel model and order alloys from the dealer. The alloys will cost you 17k.

Quote:
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 22:43   #3989
BHPian

Mine is a 2019 Feb Interceptor. This is was always a sore point of the Tube tires due to spoke wheels. Resisted the outex solution hoping that the OE solution would be coming soon.
I was waiting anxiously once the new bikes came in that soon this should be available in spares. As always Bangalore SCs being uptight as always about any specific request which would need them to think a bit more than the regular service.
Finally found out that Fixwell motors at JC road has them in stock. Rushed there immediately and got the parts.
There was also one more ever pending nuisance of the foot peg position for the interceptor. There are aftermarket solutions for this but moving the position further ahead I felt would somehow compromise on the riding dynamics. So I went for the Conti set up there on both with the LH-RH mounting brackets and levers. Its bolt on fit. Though you would need to change the heel guards to cover the blank holes.
Found all the parts at Fixwell. They have a super helpful and informed team there.
here are some of the pics.Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230819_114815.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230819_114827.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230819_114835.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230819_114822.jpg  

Last edited by Hemicuda : 20th August 2023 at 22:50.
Hemicuda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 09:33   #3990
BHPian

Quote:
Very difficult. Had just one puncture on my rear wheel in my 8 months of ownership and that was a tough day. I really don't want to go through that again. I was lucky enough to have a flat tyre in the vicinity of 3 puncture shops but they took one look at the bike and said NO. I finally managed to coerce one of them into doing it and they struggled for more than 3 hours to fix the tyre back and charged me Rs.600 for the pain they had to go through. Now I rarely use the rear brake on my CGT. It is more of a hill holder for me and found out a few kms later that it wasn't working. Another Rs.2.5K later due to a damaged rear brake component I realised that this was just not worth the hassle.

And then like your average lunatic, I turn around and take a look at those gorgeous spoke wheels and I tell myself, "one more puncture, and then I'll switch".
DeadCenter is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks