Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 13:54   #3481
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Once again experienced severe repetitive jerks, most probably ignition losing contact or relay failing again and again, the battery signal was on constantly during the jerking period. Today was the longest, and after a while I had to stop. I switched off totally after putting ignition kill switch.
Waited about 30 seconds, switched back on, and the problem went away, along with the battery alarm signal.
It did not come up for the remaining duration of my ride (about 45 mins).
What should I do? I dont think I will be able to demonstrate the issue at the SVC. Should I proceed with replacing the relays?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:13   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
What should I do? I dont think I will be able to demonstrate the issue at the SVC. Should I proceed with replacing the relays?
I think in Nov/Dec last year, I came across a video in YT where an owner shared his experience of relay getting failed multiple times which started off saying how his bike switches off erratically for no reason. When he attempted to show the issue at ASC the twins behaved nice & later on it would show up. I think he got affected by faulty relays twice & finally concluded with a happy ending.

I suspect the same in your case as well, but pls keep this at back of your mind while I try to fish out the video for you pls.

This is NOT the one, but, give a try with this first

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2022 at 16:18.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:20   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think in Nov/Dec last year, I came across a video in YT where an owner shared his experience of relay getting failed multiple times which started off saying how his bike switches off erratically for no reason. When he attempted to show the issue at ASC the twins behaved nice & later on it would show up. I think he got affected by faulty relays twice & finally concluded with a happy ending.

I suspect the same in your case as well, but pls keep this at back of your mind while I try to fish out the video for you pls.

This is NOT the one, but, give a try with this first
Thanks aargee, I have followed both these videos, I have indeed switched with other accessories relay too. Did not solve the issue. See 2 posts above, I have wrote about the same.
I guess have to change to more reliable relays.
Old 31st March 2022, 22:30   #3484
naj
BANNED

GT 650: Bike Stalled suddenly / Troubke shooting in progress

Hello,
In just over 3 months and 450 kms , the GT is at the service station for a serious breakdown issue . Guys are tying to figure out the issue which is the surprising part .They suspect Fuel pp damage .

Narrative:While riding back from office I went to the gas station and turned off the ignition to wait for my turn. When my turn came the bike wouldn't start . Any way filled the gas tank suspecting erratic fuel gauge just in case.
The bike still wouldn't start .
I observed a few things - 1)The battery , lights, horn etc were in order. All icons lit as usual during start up on the pod. The engine cranked but fuel was not being injected. The initial fuel pp whine was also not heard and I called up RSA for assistance.The mechanic came after about 2 hours , fiddled with relays and with what ever he felt like and finally asked the RSA to tow the bike.

The next day the guys at the service station spend the whole day figuring out the issue.I called a couple of times but got the same answer. The SA said they suspect fuel pp failure and have ordered same from the factory. Would take 8 days .

SA said in such cases when issues are not straight forward the Serv Center takes videos and seek assistance from the factory or RE service experts.

I am tempted to make a ruckus with RE but feel patience will be a virtue here. However feel sad that this has happened in just 450 km of ownership .

I will write to RE never the less explaining my unhappiness. What if the bike would have stalled on he highway or during a critical maneuver? This is unsafe and highlights quality issues.

RSA :- Although not quite fast and kept me stranded for about 4 hours till the bike was finally dropped to the serv Station, it worked and they took care. A big thanks to RE on that front . No one took a shekel from me .

Thanks - Naj
naj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:37   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Re: GT 650: Bike Stalled suddenly / Troubke shooting in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
In just over 3 months and 450 kms , the GT is at the service station for a serious breakdown issue . Guys are tying to figure out the issue which is the surprising part .They suspect Fuel pp damage
My Inty as as old/new as yours (9-Dec-2021) & I can certainly feel what you must be undergoing without having been able to enjoy the first few days of bonding from my own experience years ago.

My Inty lost the old sweetest note of 270 firing (mine is ~4300 Km); although the firing is still sweet, but has additional, minute, very minute, noise. I suspect it has got to do with tappet adjustment, but, ASC says tappets are fine & don't need to be adjusted. If I force them, they're bound to cause more troubles with the motorcycle that weren't in first place, hence have to go with what they're saying.

Incidents like these shake the faith with pleasant ownership, but then, there're no trouble free motorcycles; there're troublesome Hondas as well as troublefree Harleys

Would encourage writing to RE so that there's some momentum (3 months is just too much) & shows your immense patience.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:51   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My Inty lost the old sweetest note of 270 firing (mine is ~4300 Km); although the firing is still sweet, but has additional, minute, very minute, noise. I suspect it has got to do with tappet adjustment, but, ASC says tappets are fine & don't need to be adjusted.
I am curious as to how the firing note changed? Is it because of the loose tappets?
Old 1st April 2022, 09:54   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am curious as to how the firing note changed? Is it because of the loose tappets?
Old tone - 270 firing note
New tone - 270 firing note + additional noise

Additional noise is not very loud & is not evident in traffic; its evident only at calm neighborhood

Got it?
Old 1st April 2022, 10:03   #3488
naj
BANNED

Quote:

Would encourage writing to RE so that there's some momentum (3 months is just too much) & shows your immense patience.
Sorry aargee,if I caused a little confusion,I have owned the GT for 3 months, purchased it in Dec 2021 and this issue happened early this week and they are saying it will take 8 days to secure the parts.

Thanks - Naj
Old 1st April 2022, 10:11   #3489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they are saying it will take 8 days to secure the parts.
Ok, then it qualifies for the thread on RE twins parts availability issue
Old 1st April 2022, 10:15   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
Additional noise is not very loud & is not evident in traffic; its evident only at calm neighborhood
I have a Jul 2021 INT and I too observed this noise (probably from the valves) and conveyed the same to SVC. The service advisor test rode my bike and told me everything is fine and though decreasing the valve clearance might reduce the noise, he recommended against it as it will increase the friction and would result in premature wear of the valves. Though I agree to his point, I still believe that at least they should have checked the valves and confirmed that the clearance is in fact right.
But, like you said, I didn't want to force them to open the cover and check for clearance. Chances of them messing with the factory settings and making it worse made me think twice. I have now learned to live with the noise and enjoy the bike as a whole. My bike completed 2nd svc at 2.2k km and has run just 3k km till date. May be I will ask them to check for clearance again during 3rd svc.

Off topic.. I miss the BS4 INT exhaust note in my BS6 model. That was music to ears and probably hid the additional noise.

Last edited by samcan123 : 1st April 2022 at 10:17.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 11:15   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Got it?
Oh yes, sure.

I have a pushrod engine motorcycle as well, so my thought was that the valves had become that loose that the exhaust note has changed.

Didn't think you were referring to the overall noise made by the engine.
Old 5th April 2022, 03:52   #3492
Senior - BHPian

Some amazing creations from the recently concluded Busted Knuckles Build Off.

The winner was from Hamilton, New Zealand. I've got an excuse to ride here now.

If I had to pick my favorite, it will the Dr. No GT 650. The original name for this was supposed to be the Meteor but that was not possible for obvious reasons.

I didn't care much for the bored out 965cc version called the RevElation 650 Twin Salt racer. Appears to be a build done primarily for speed and little else.

A couple of builds such as the Regency and No.40 have parts such as the wheels which are supposed to be a straight fit from the Himalayan. If that is to be believed, it makes it quite an interesting proposition for those who want to build a faster Himalayan using a 650 block.

One thing was made clear from most of these builds. The engine is over engineered and designed to take on a lot more power.

Link to the article and some videos from the Tube.

sandeepmohan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 03:15   #3493
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Hello,
In just over 3 months and 450 kms , the GT is at the service station for a serious breakdown issue . Guys are tying to figure out the issue which is the surprising part .They suspect Fuel pp damage .

Narrative:While riding back from office I went to the gas station and turned off the ignition to wait for my turn. When my turn came the bike wouldn't start . Any way filled the gas tank suspecting erratic fuel gauge just in case.
The bike still wouldn't start .
I observed a few things - 1)The battery , lights, horn etc were in order. All icons lit as usual during start up on the pod. The engine cranked but fuel was not being injected. The initial fuel pp whine was also not heard and I called up RSA for assistance.The mechanic came after about 2 hours , fiddled with relays and with what ever he felt like and finally asked the RSA to tow the bike.

The next day the guys at the service station spend the whole day figuring out the issue.I called a couple of times but got the same answer. The SA said they suspect fuel pp failure and have ordered same from the factory. Would take 8 days .

SA said in such cases when issues are not straight forward the Serv Center takes videos and seek assistance from the factory or RE service experts.

I am tempted to make a ruckus with RE but feel patience will be a virtue here. However feel sad that this has happened in just 450 km of ownership .

I will write to RE never the less explaining my unhappiness. What if the bike would have stalled on he highway or during a critical maneuver? This is unsafe and highlights quality issues.

RSA :- Although not quite fast and kept me stranded for about 4 hours till the bike was finally dropped to the serv Station, it worked and they took care. A big thanks to RE on that front . No one took a shekel from me .

Thanks - Naj
Good day ,
UPDATE -
I did manage to speak with MH Serv Pune manager and also wrote to RE cust Care . They got the bike sorted out within 2 days of my intervention.
The bike rides like a cake now. Thanks RE for their intervention .
The issue was with fuel pp which was replaced and sourced from somewhere urgently .

Thanks -Naj
naj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 13:36   #3494
BHPian

Installed the autobahn LED on my int today.

The matter was pretty straightforward, only made complicated by my carbon racing windshield:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1601.jpg

Had to cut out the inner portion of the bulb gasket to accommodate the heat sink and fan:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1604.jpg

Post installation, bulb is super bright.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1605.jpg

No noticeable dark spots in the spread.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1607.jpg
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 08:59   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Was in the company of some unique machines and thought of sharing this here.

First, the Ducati Monster 400. This motorcycle was a part of 5 of us who were attending a Ride Forever Bronze Certification program. I was doing a refresher as its well past time I moved from my Leaners to Restricted motorcycle license. As always, these courses teach you motorcycles skills that you will otherwise never get to learn or experience. The $20 day long session is peanuts for the knowledge you gain.

The Ducati was the oldest motorcycle to attend. Old school. The 90 degree V twin engine fed by two carburetors. For something Italian thats generally fiddly about their mechanical design, I was impressed at how easy they made it to maintain. The fuel tank is latched to the fork stem. You remove the latch and it hinges at the seat end giving you full access to the air box and fuel system. A tool free & neat design.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220403_143048.jpg

The photos below are from yesterday. An impromptu ride to Gladstone. This Inn gets interesting as you spend more time. I hung around for about 90minutes, soaking in the evening light. In that time, lots of interesting motorcycle or vehicles showed up. I know nothing about Harley Davidsons so please forgive that I do not know the model or cubic inch of the bikes on display. What I will say is, when they are fired up, their engines roar like none other.

There was an old Honda ST1300 or Pan European. If you want to know or hear what a smooth engine sounds like, this is the benchmark. Two decades of age means nothing for this Honda. They purr like they are brand new. Reminds me of that old video of a guy making different sounds of all the motorcycle brands. He was spot on about the noise a Honda makes. There is a sense of calm about them.

One of the Triumphs are easily identified. The other not so. The modern one is a 2019 1050cc Speed Triple R (or RS). As with any Triumph sports machine, they are truly unique in their looks and design elements.

The one that got me interested was the 1978 Bonneville 750. It was immaculate. Some bits are modernized to keep up with the times. The points ignition was replaced with a more modern electronic ignition. Starting is easier now. No decomp too or its integrated. I could not tell. It had a cable operated front disc brake and the rear one operated by a shaft. No hydraulics. The Amal carburetors were open ended with only a mesh covering the air intake. Each had their own petrol tap opening. The float chambers were interlinked with a fuel pipe. I guess to balance out flooding. The exhausts were after market and quite loud. That distinct Triumph twin firing order was present. At low rpm's it tends to sound a bit slow or out of sync. As you raise rpm, it sounds better.

I got chatting with the Speed Triple owner who was older to me. We shared stories about our on road experiences and destinations we've been too. He asked about the Interceptor and its dependability. Assured him that the motorcycles Royal Enfield make today are the opposite of what they made a while back.

In this company of motorcycles, I was the young stud.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220410_160712.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220410_160544.jpg

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th April 2022 at 09:07.
sandeepmohan is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks