Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 13:32   #3466

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is what the user says from this source
Much appreciate your quick response and help to dig out this info. The catch is that the experience shared there is for Himalayan not INT/CONT 650. Also its for the BS4 version - mine is a BS6 one. Looking forward to hear usage feedback specific to INT/CONT. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th March 2022, 22:33   #3467
BHPian

Service update - Wobbling issue

I first experienced the dreaded handlebar wobbling issue during one of my breakfast rides. It didn't bother me much since the problem presented itself only when I let go of the handlebar completely.

There has been another issue creeping up over the past few weeks. I have felt the front end become increasingly stiff. So much so that going over the speed breakers within the society (at less than 10 kmph) would send a huge jolt up my arms.

I decided to get this checked at the ASC.
Visited Kings Motors on Monday (14th March) and told them about the wobble and the stiff front end. They kept the bike for 2 days while they tried out the following:

They initially checked the steering bearings, found them to be ok and then proceeded to check the bikes performance by installing wheels and tyres from another bike.
Apparently this too didn't work out since they again opened up the steering assembly and replaced both bearings (shown in the pictures below)

Bottom bearing

Name:  bottom bearing.png
Views: 1372
Size:  66.1 KB

Top bearing

Name:  top bearing.png
Views: 1443
Size:  59.2 KB

Got the bike back today and I was not able to check whether the wobble issue was sorted on the short ride back home, but the stiffness that was earlier present is not there anymore. I do find that there is a mild thud sound everytime the front end encounters a pothole. From what I hear and read, this is expected from the twins.
The service advisor did caution me not to let go of the handlebar completely under any circumstance - so I am pretty sure that the wobble issue still persists.

Hoping to do a longer highway ride soon and check this issue.

I was not charged anything for this work since the bike is still under warranty.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 12:33   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Service update - Wobbling issue

I first experienced the dreaded handlebar wobbling issue during one of my breakfast rides. It didn't bother me much since the problem presented itself only when I let go of the handlebar completely.
Say hello to a lifetime of living with this 'quirk'. I have gone through hundreds of threads and no one has conclusively solved the mystery. Those who have claimed to have conquered the monster have also come back few months/days later complaining the issue didn't get completely fixed. The effort in tinkering around that's required makes it a chore. I am learning to live with it and following the SA's advise, never leave handlebars.
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 13:46   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Say hello to a lifetime of living with this 'quirk'. I have gone through hundreds of threads and no one has conclusively solved the mystery. ....
I have change the OEM pirreli tires, got temp(as of now) relief from wobbling. I agree there seems to be "design issue" and may not get fixed.

-Pramod
Old 17th March 2022, 20:05   #3470
BHPian

Quote:
Say hello to a lifetime of living with this 'quirk'. I have gone through hundreds of threads and no one has conclusively solved the mystery. Those who have claimed to have conquered the monster have also come back few months/days later complaining the issue didn't get completely fixed. The effort in tinkering around that's required makes it a chore. I am learning to live with it and following the SA's advise, never leave handlebars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I have change the OEM pirreli tires, got temp(as of now) relief from wobbling. I agree there seems to be "design issue" and may not get fixed.

-Pramod
Any thoughts on why it happens around a certain speed (around 80 for me)

I can confirm that the problem persists. Absolutely no change. So not even temporary relief for me
Old 18th March 2022, 02:38   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Any thoughts on why it happens around a certain speed (around 80 for me)

I can confirm that the problem persists. Absolutely no change. So not even temporary relief for me
What tires are you riding on? Did you try changing both the tires? A very experienced bike mechanic(in UK) pointed it out to the tires. And most riders who have changed the tires are claiming to have solved the issue. Also, the wobble issue has been mostly observed with the Pirelli tires specifically.
Mach_1590 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:38   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Say hello to a lifetime of living with this 'quirk'. I have gone through hundreds of threads and no one has conclusively solved the mystery. Those who have claimed to have conquered the monster have also come back few months/days later complaining the issue didn't get completely fixed.
Have explored almost everything from ALL bearings, swingarm bushes, rim runoff, suspension setup and tyres. The tyres are the ones that fixed it for me. I am sure that if you can find a proper 18" tyre with a proper contact patch the issue will be sorted. I think the high sidewalled/flatter "classic sized" tyre is causing it when it starts wearing off. Have seen similar issues for some Triumph modern classics with similar tyres.

PS: Mine was running on 17" Apollo alpha H1s (110/70-17 and 150/60-17) which provides a good contact patch and has a sporty profile. The bike never ever showed a sign of wobble at city or triple digit speeds (even after 4000kms of riding with this setup) even with a slightly bent front rim, a couple of loose spokes and hands off the bar.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th March 2022 at 10:44.
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 16:04   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The bike never ever showed a sign of wobble at city or triple digit speeds (even after 4000kms of riding with this setup) even with a slightly bent front rim, a couple of loose spokes and hands off the bar.
I've been reading your posts and certainly want to give the 17 inch conversion a try. I've run 12000km so far and maybe another 3000 life left on the tyres. Will be getting the dismotech wheels then. For me more than wobble, it is the availablity of good rubber in this odd size is the primary issue.
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 16:59   #3474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me more than wobble, it is the availablity of good rubber in this odd size is the primary issue.
Go for it eyes closed. The bike just transforms.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 10:30   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
What tires are you riding on? Did you try changing both the tires? A very experienced bike mechanic(in UK) pointed it out to the tires. And most riders who have changed the tires are claiming to have solved the issue. Also, the wobble issue has been mostly observed with the Pirelli tires specifically.
Still on stock tires. Will change in the next month or two.
Don't want to fiddle around with the rim size so will most probable go for the ceats.
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:50   #3476
Senior - BHPian

A very interesting video about 650 and Royal Enfield.

Last edited by jeepster : 22nd March 2022 at 16:52.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:05   #3477
BHPian

My Interceptor has clocked 12000 kms over the last 2 years and the wobble issue i first noticed around the 4k mark.
However as rightly pointed out in this forum, its an alarming issue only once i completely let go of the handle bars at high speeds, so the solution itself is pretty simple,
"ride the bike as it is suppose to be ridden, that is with both arms on the handle bar "
Problem solved.

Having said that, it is a little disconcerting when my service advisor says "Sir, ye pata to he hota he, par koi nahi janta kyun", in todays day and age for an otherwise excellent machine, its not very encouraging.
How do i remain confident that there are not any hidden demons.
No cause for complaint as of now though.

Last edited by nairanupg : 22nd March 2022 at 18:07.
nairanupg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 03:04   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
My Interceptor has clocked 12000 kms over the last 2 years and the wobble issue i first noticed around the 4k mark.
I am not sure why anyone would let go of the handle bar at high speed. Its a bad idea.

I have not experienced this so called wobble issue for most of the time I've been riding on the stock Pirelli's. I've just replaced the rear with a Bridgestone Battlax BT46 and it feels like heaven, in comparison to the Pirelli. I ran the rear stock tire down to it being bald! Some FM's did warn me about this. What I've understood, those Pirelli's wear really fast. When they do, you need to trash them. Not ride them bald like I did. The sign of wear isn't indicated by the tread depth necessarily reducing, its down to how it feels when you ride. I was going through all sorts of weird issues that were not consistent to what most describe here as a 'wobble'. It was a lack of stability (to be expected), especially when taking turns and harshness of the ride itself. On removing the old tyre, the garage showed me indentations on the circumference of the rubber. The main contact area to the road was flat. Its the sides of the rubber that had these dips. Its not normal. The mechanic could not explain why that happened either. Its puzzling cause these tires cost 50% over the Bridgestone that I just fitted.

I wish I could import Ceat's cause that's the kind of tire I need. For now I've settled for the BT46 and will likely switch the fronts to the same tire model even before they are fully worn. The bike feels so much better after replacing the rear and these Bridgestone are supposed to last longer too. Only time will tell if that holds true.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 15:12   #3479
BHPian

I have now been frequently facing an electrical issue during my ride, my guess is, the ignition keeps losing current flow for milliseconds and gains back within few milliseconds. These happen in continuation of OFF-ON for say 20-30 times, obviously causing mild to medium jerks based on how the throttle is at that point of time. This happens early into the ride say 20 mins after start, and stays for a few minutes and completely goes away after riding for 30mins or more and does not come back during that ride.

Last time, I opened up the relay block and switched the ignition relay with the accessories relay. All fuses were checked too, and found no issues with any.
The relay switching caused the issue to solve for the day, to come back again, although milder and much lesser in frequency on the next ride.

I am thinking of switching over all 4 relays to Denso, link below.
https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...-5-PIN-SET-OF1

Set of 4 is recommended by RPC and it costs around Rs. 5500, which is huge when compared to the OEM relays(probably Minda). Am I on the right path? I did try to show (could not demonstrate) this during my last service(3rd) but the technicians waved this off by saying water contaminated fuel issue.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 17:13   #3480
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the new stock relays instead, apparently some design change has been done as per the SA. I changed all four and also got two spares. They cost around 100 rupees for one, you can buy 10 of them, change 4, and keep in spare for 1/5th the cost of Denso. Denali one are cheaper if you want to go that route though.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks