Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 12:32   #3376
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I am actually exploring changing the exhaust to an aftermarket one for the very same reasons. While I am at it, I am wondering if you can suggest me something that sounds better than the stock but not thrashy so as to not attract attention of the cops. But more importantly, I want to know if they fiddle with emissions.
I have the Motowings trident on my bike. I’m told it’s within acceptable sound limits.

The stock thrum becomes like a burble at low revs.
At higher revs it sounds like something is flapping around in the wind (sorry for the poor metaphor)
In any case i do not find them loud.

On the looks front, they seem a bit malnourished compared to some of the other ones available in the market.

Here are some pictures-

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-ec6760f121b548e69b2ba8eb24f76820.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5b373d2654044430af1baf58cd380d0f.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-8ca519abaf304250922f28e686f235f7.jpeg
jomson13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:33   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Regarding emissions I am pretty confident they won’t be meeting the current emission norms, how much is the deviation is anyone guess though. That said don’t worry about it spitting out soot, and for the entry price point they are pretty worth it. You can also check Powerage exhaust, it has got good reviews too.
The Cat Con is located at the bend pipe, apart from dB levels, you are pretty much sorted with the emission norms.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 31st January 2022 at 12:35.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:48   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
The stock thrum becomes like a burble at low revs.

On the looks front, they seem a bit malnourished compared to some of the other ones available in the market.
I've ridden his bike and it's one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts. It's presence is felt only if you whack open the throttle! The slim profile must result in weight reduction too, I think around 4kgs less than the stock exhausts. There's a detailed review of it by BikeWale, have a read.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:26   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
The Cat Con is located at the bend pipe, apart from dB levels, you are pretty much sorted with the emission norms.
I think it does, which probably explains the weight as well as quick heating up as someone mentioned earlier.
The long muffler the Bullet used to come with had a honeycomb type cat-con in the beginning of the muffler, so I think the Interceptor should have it too. The one in the bend pipe maybe too small to meet norms.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:36   #3380
BHPian

2nd Anniversary/Birthday Photoshoot with Spitfire, RE Interceptor 650

02.02.2022, 2 years with the simple machine, last year I rode less than the first year with no over-nighters as we went road tripping in our Brio. Only around 4k kms added to cross the 10k kms milestone before the b'day!

2 mods worth mentioning,

- Marsh auto preload adjusters: These were added to adjust rider's sag. sukiwa did the measurements and we dialed in the spacers measuring with a vernier caliper. Follow up mod is to change the fork oil which is deferred courtesy, Omicron. DM me if you want the measurements. This was a DIY with sukiwa, he has the required tools. Difference is felt but can't be quantified, it's good to have it done. You would need risers to accommodate the adjusters. No risers needed for Conti 650.

- Grip puppies grip cover: Recently I had a thumb injury and it would hurt on long 300-350 km trips. I tried all the techniques of gripping the throttle lightly. Rotating the throttle like a door knob but didn't help after the pain threshold. The increase in diameter after installing the Grip puppies helped a lot! So this was a personal need and not a generic mod.

Other cosmetic, minor mods: Adv tribe was running some sale and I ordered their side stand extender and rear brake cylinder cover just for the sake of it! Also ordered the MK designs pillion footpeg heel plates. Yet to install them.

The good part: Trouble free ownership otherwise [touch wood], enjoyed a lot of weekend breakfast rides with fellow bhpians all around Pune. I always had one bike for all purposes so I went everywhere possible tarmac or no-tarmac with the stock tyres!
Chain slack was adjusted at FNG. I started using the Plutoline Drytec chain lube.

For cleaning and polishing I've moved to Wavex products,
Wavex Wash & wax shampoo - monthly
Wavex Dry wash spray - weekly
Wavex Carnauba wax - monthly
Wavex Matt tyre spray - monthly
Turltle wax Chrome Polish - monthly
Autosol metal polish - depends

The not so good part: The fuel lid rubber gasket has cracked again! I had changed the entire key set once under warranty earlier and don't want to do it again. Only option seems to get it from Roadpower customs who charge 900 for the gasket alone.

Things that need attention:
- The stock seat has gone soft at my contact points! I'll get it done at local seat maker again deferred courtesy Omicron. I tried the new premium touring seat from RE, it's good. If my seat experiment doesn't work out well I'll order this.
- Pillion comfort: Recently we have done some short commutes with her, a backrest is much needed for the pillion!

Birthday gift: Motowings Hyperflow air filter. Yet to install it.

[PS. I'll follow up with a post with detailed pics of the above mods, if required, or you can simply search the products which are already discussed here earlier.]

Now enjoy the photoshoot with TheCelestial

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-dsc_2253_00001.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkeddsc_2290_00001_li.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkeddsc_2299_00001_li.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkeddsc_2313_00001_li.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkeddsc_2281_00001_li.jpg

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 03:15   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I always had one bike for all purposes so I went everywhere possible tarmac or no-tarmac with the stock tyres!
How much tread do have left on those tires?
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:37   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
How much tread do have left on those tires?
I'll measure the tread depth and share the tyre pics later. Front has less life left than the rear. I'll have a detailed inspection before the monsoons here.

Have a look here at the front tyre,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-dsc_2277_00001.jpg

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:39   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I am actually exploring changing the exhaust to an aftermarket one for the very same reasons. While I am at it, I am wondering if you can suggest me something that sounds better than the stock but not thrashy so as to not attract attention of the cops. But more importantly, I want to know if they fiddle with emissions.
Powerage is a good set to look at. They are not loud and obnoxious and with the baffles on sound almost close to stock. I run mine without baffles. Have the short chrome finish ones on the GT. Found them pleasing in the city and on long Highway runs.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220129_104659.jpg
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:07   #3384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
[h3]- Marsh auto preload adjusters: These were added to adjust rider's sag. sukiwa did the measurements and we dialed in the spacers measuring with a vernier caliper. Follow up mod is to change the fork oil which is deferred courtesy, Omicron. DM me if you want the measurements. This was a DIY with sukiwa, he has the required tools. Difference is felt but can't be quantified, it's good to have it done. You would need risers to accommodate the adjusters. No risers needed for Conti 650.
surjaonwheelz, nice to see another Royal Enfield with Marsh preload adjusters. Did you and sukiwa set both preload at both the front and the rear? Im interested to learn about how much the sag changes at the rear, since the Gabriel shocks only provide 6 step adjustments.

My only suggestion is that you first experiment with different preload settings and then take the plunge for the fork oil change at the front. Its amazing how much adjustability these nifty Marsh preload adjusters provide.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:09   #3385
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
So after reading @Torino’S post about lowering the rear suspension for better foot reach for shorter riders, I was keen upon getting mine done at the earliest. So after a few months wait for way2speed to have stock of the suspension lowering kit, finally the component arrived last week. Spoke to the local mechanic about retrofitting the same, he directed me towards a shocker repair guy at Nagerbajar Kolkata. It was a tiny little Shope but seemed he had the correct fixture for opening the shocker spring assembly and swap the original socket for my reduced height one. And voila! now one foot is easily planted flat and the the other one too can reach on toes for the first time. Here are a couple of pictures below. There are no noticeable handling issues felt yet.
Hello ,

Thanks for the info on the lowering kit . I ordered same from Way2Speed and have installed it from a local shock-up shop. He had to heat up the original fixture to remove it and unscrew it.

This kit is a boon for short riders. The difference is visible and now am much more confident riding the bike in stop and go traffic . Mounting the bike and making it vertical has also become easy .
Its a game changer indeed!
One more observation is the riding triangle/ posture has changed a little IMHO as I am not experiencing painful palms no more ( on the GT 650 ). Earlier I did have sore and really painful palms after about 1/2 hr of riding. Its all good now .
Many thanks for sharing info about the kit .
Thanks - Naj

Last edited by naj : 6th February 2022 at 23:20.
naj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:39   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
surjaonwheelz, nice to see another Royal Enfield with Marsh preload adjusters. Did you and sukiwa set both preload at both the front and the rear? Im interested to learn about how much the sag changes at the rear, since the Gabriel shocks only provide 6 step adjustments.
Rear was already moved 2 positions from the stock, 0 position. If I remember correctly, Continental GT 650 comes with this as stock setting.

I find it difficult to wrench, ride and recollect my feedback and repeat! Mostly it's a one time setting.

As the fork oil is due for change after 2 years, I'm thinking of getting a branded one in place of the RE fork oil.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
Old 10th February 2022, 04:31   #3387
BHPian

So I have completed 500+ kms on my INT650 and got it serviced soon after. Sales and service experience has been unremarkable. The best thing about owning a classic motorcycle is that you can accessorize and customize it as per the taste. There are so many options available in the open market. Doing thorough research is the key here.

I am liking the enhanced looks with the installed accessories, especially the windscreen, it adds form as well as function. I haven't ridden much after the service to comment on the difference noticed, but the engine smoothness was apparent the moment I took off from the SVC. I believe it should also solve the notchy gearbox with some miles on the new oil. Eagerly waiting for the weekend to stretch her legs. Contrary to my belief, being an RE motorcycle, I am enjoying the 650 on curvy roads much more than the straights. Being riding on soft compound and fantastic Metzelers in the RC390, I was apprehensive of the CEAT's grip but to my surprise, they stick!

Mods planned/desired are the handlebars(need) and exhausts(want) to AEWs in the near future. Earlier I was not in the opinion of swapping the exhausts this early in the lifecycle, but after hearing them in person, I kind of, want them

Attaching a few pics, apologies for the poor photographs in the low light conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1642.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1643.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1646.jpg  

Mach_1590 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 19:30   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Hi, fellow Interceptor owners. I am planning to buy a used interceptor and going to have a look at a couple of bikes this weekend. Please let me know what all i should check ? Also is there any way to check if bikes are flood affected or not ?

2019 Chrome - 4k kms done, quoted 2.6L
2020 silver - 2k kms done, quoted 2.4L

Both owners said not used because of lockdown and work from home.

Also couple of interceptor i have observed slight whining noise. The TD bikes didnt had this noise. This one i have observed only on the road on other bike being ridden. i find is very annoying, i remember first gen pulsar had it. anyone experienced the same ?
Rahulkool is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 03:09   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Please let me know what all i should check ? Also is there any way to check if bikes are flood affected or not ?
  • Makes sense to look at the 2020 as its cheaper.
  • I'd start by checking there are no insurance or warranty claims. With such low running, I doubt it but no harm done in checking.
  • Check that the RC has the sellers name on it
  • Have they been serviced, at all? Both bikes should have first service records. Factor this as a cost as you definitely want to replace the oil and filter on both.
  • I am pretty sure the battery will be flat on both these motorcycles. Even if they've been charged and the bikes start, you need to prepare for replacing them immediately. That sort of mileage is too low for the battery to have gained any charge at all.
  • Look for Corrosion. An idle bike will have some for sure. The Interceptor can catch corrosion easily if the bike has been exposed to high moisture levels or if the bike has not been wiped down. Surface corrosion can be ignored. A clean up with some WD40 or a polish job can correct this.
  • Tires. You'll definitely need to replace them on the 2019 model. Again, can be ascertained only after you see the bike.
  • There is slight whining noise on my bike too. This is not a fault. Then again, need to hear it to know if the whine is what the motor usually makes or if its something else. Take the bike to a RE garage and ask them if that is normal.
  • The flood affected bit is a question for the owner and needs to work on trust. I don't think anyone of us can answer that question. The owner can change the oil, replace the air filter, wash the bike and that's going to give it a clean slip. At the most, pop the seat and check. If there are deposits of mud or muck, you can be sure the bike has been under water.
  • Check free play of clutch and throttle. This is minor. If its bad, cables can be replaced.
  • You're likely to find the exhaust a bit more audible on the 2019 model, before BS6 norms kicked in.
  • Check all electricals work.
  • Test ride the bike.

To end, both these motorcycles have low mileage on them. There isn't much more one can check.
Good luck.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th February 2022 at 03:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 07:43   #3390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know what all i should check ? Also is there any way to check if bikes are flood affected or not ?

2019 Chrome - 4k kms done, quoted 2.6L
You location shows you hail from Chennai, if so, avoid Chrome at all costs
Flood affected or not can be easily checked through service history unless someone is really really clever enough to hide it, which also is a very rare breed.

Another reliable option is to visit RE ASC & inquire if they know any Inty that's up for sale as well

Quote:
Also couple of interceptor i have observed slight whining noise
Is it the whistling noise you mean when deceleration? That whistling/whining sound is more predominant only during riding than idling. If so, this is quite normal. If you don't like this, then you should stay off from Interceptor. I bought Interceptor as it sounded more like cousin of Triumph Striple.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed