Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2018, 00:23   #196
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Finally got a test ride of the Int 650 though I could not get one while booking it.
This was at the Voyage Motors, Kandivali West last Friday.

Bike feels heavy when at standstill and the handle bar a bit forward for my ideal riding position.
But once you depress the clutch, which I must say doesnt feel like any RE bike's clutch, it has a sure definite feeling of slotting it in the gear and the bike moves ahead effortlessly. And what an initial heady feeling, oh this beaut moves and how!
Now, the ride I took was at 5pm on a Friday evening from Poisar, SV road till Link road and back via Raghuleela Mall.
Bike handles well, I took hardly any time to adjust to the bike, considering my current ride is a front heavy NS 200.
The growling exhaust is music to the ears. Pillion gets pulled back on a slight twitch of the throttle. Seat is soft but pillion can feel the bottom of the seat and as said earlier on this thread by other members, the seat will need replacing.
No issue at all with GC as had a friend who is 5'11 and weighs 85 kg and then we exchanged positions and I am 5'9 and 90 kg.
The bike does not draw attention at all, no one gave us a second look. Surge that you experience on slight twist of the throttle is something which you cant imagine before sitting on this machine.
I am 5'9 and I could easily flat foot the bike, the foot pegs are something which you get used to.
Bike is not really flick able as some reviewers have mentioned in the YouTube videos, atleast to me.
The engine does emit some heat that too when the traffic was not much and I feel a proper ride in Mumbai traffic will really tell us for real.
Horn is appropriate and one should not have any complaints.
Brakes have a good bite and the ABS is not too intrusive.
Yes, no vibrations at all.
This machine deserves to be treated easily and not revved like a hooligan, though I am sure it she does not complain, but then the real music is in a steady cruise of 80-100 kmph.
This bike is meant for the open roads and highways and not for city riding really.
Just a simple fun machine, with basic stuff loaded onto it without any frills to get the fun back in riding.
This test ride bike came fitted with a tall flyscreen and would be a requirement.

Cons:
Seat needs to be replaced, its too flat and soft, pillion gets pulled back on a slight twist of the throttle.
Bike got slightly heated up though not really baking the thigh kind of hot, but then bumper to bumper traffic may get uncomfortable for this machine
Handle bar will need to be adjusted towards the rider, i feel that
Not really a bike for our Indian big cities

Better than any of the existing #REs? You bet! Would people throw their cheque books at the dealers? I doubt! But then, if you have owned a thumper before and were weaned away from the RE fold by other technologically current and trouble free rides available, then this is the Ride that will get you back into the RE fold!

I feel booking it was the right decision. Ravishing Red will be the most awaited colour in the world for me right now!

Cheers.
thumpmeister is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 16:39   #197
BHPian

3 day into the ownership.

I am a celebrity now:
The bike grabs lot of attention
1. Congratulations from fellow bikers in the traffic signal
2. Q. Is it a Triumph? A. No its an Enfield. When did Enfield started making such bikes?
3. Q. It may be costing 9 lakhs. A. Only 3 lakhs. The puzzled looks, makes my day

Let me enjoy this to the fullest, till we have lot of interceptors on our roads.

Last edited by shijinpr : 22nd December 2018 at 16:40.
shijinpr is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 19:27   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuoui View Post
Am pretty much in similar waters!

Here's one of the video's in Spanish(?), which is the best I have seen thus far outside of the PR videos put out by RE. And might I dare say, the Ravishing Red doesn't disappoint after all!

Can't wait for these to hit the roads soon enough!

Note from Support: Spacing fixed.
The bike in red does look Ravishing! I was in two minds but now I have decided to stick to my booking in red colour.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th December 2018 at 09:57. Reason: Removed video from quoted post.
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:15   #199
BHPian

I just changed my color from Orange Crush to Ravishing Red. Don't mind paying the extra few bucks. My only two (big) concerns was the foot pegs interfering while moving the bike manually and safety of the pillion rider.
Me and my wife are quite heavy and the moment my wife sat at the back, she began to slide downward on the seats edge.
I then took a test drive with the RE sales guy sitting behind and he was constantly holding the grab rails because of a throw back on the slightest of throttle. I'm wondering if there is going to be a backrest that can make the pillion rider feel safe and if the foot pegs can be modded so that they don't interfere.
oli.ferns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:43   #200

From the looks of it, the experimenting has already begun 😁

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brq8Hslj...d=4k7bbtedkzfb
ianuoui is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:51   #201
Team-BHP Support

Holy smokes CD, what a review . I have not much interest in this genre of motorcycle so I purposely didn't go through it, but yesterday I had some time to kill and I opened it to read it in one go.

The Interceptor is a win win for both RE and end consumers. I just hope no quality/build issues happen.

And yeah, more power to you .
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:32   #202
Senior - BHPian

The special colours are commanding a Rs. 27k premium. I'll buy the basic colour on offer and add few neat accessories. That's my thought right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
I just changed my color from Orange Crush to Ravishing Red.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:08   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The special colours are commanding a Rs. 27k premium. I'll buy the basic colour on offer and add few neat accessories. That's my thought right now!

Which city though? The variance in price for the custom colors are sub 10k in most cities, as I remember

I have to agree that the chrome variant however does have a 20k premium

Looks/colors being subjective .. if the custom colors don't appeal, then it sure does makes sense to spend that money on accessories.
Old 24th December 2018, 07:20   #204
BHPian

yea, the difference in pricing for custom colors are not that steep. Its just the chrome that demands a 20k plus premium. In addition to the red color, what I liked was the black wheel rims that they were offering
Old 24th December 2018, 11:05   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
yea, the difference in pricing for custom colors are not that steep. Its just the chrome that demands a 20k plus premium.
Honestly I felt that the Chrome resembles the Pressure Cooker at my kitchen

Each to his taste, don't hunt me down
ku69rd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 14:38   #206
Senior - BHPian

325 units dispatched in Nov'18; not a bad start for RE bikes in this segment.
Don't know how many are meant as dealer demo bikes Vs end customers.

Considering current delivery schedule, don't think monthly numbers will be in 4-digits soon.

Source: Autopanditz
Old 24th December 2018, 16:04   #207
Senior - BHPian

Did fairly long TR of the Interceptor 650 today, in Trivandrum

First impressions are like the ones expressed in the previous posts and quiet positive. Specially coming from my regular ride Bonneville 2009 T 100.
  • Ride quality - Was pleasantly surprised with the smoothness of the ride both on good highway surfaces and iffy moffusil areas as well. I would say is comparable to Bonnie, tad softer if at all.
  • Moving it about - Lower Centre of Gravity than Bonnie hence slightly better to move about etc and this in turn adds to the ability to flick it about I think.
  • Ride position - needs a bit of customising of handle position and bit customisation of seat, to suit me, but nothing major required though.
  • Ease of Operation - I thought ergonamically well positioned and easy to operate. Clutch was soft in a positive way
  • Brakes - individually and collectively are good and positive. Front is slightly weaker and Back is more positive compared to Bonnie
  • Engine response- quite good and pulls well up to 4th. Have a feeling it may be slightly lagging on a full highway trot or gallop in the 5th. Acceleration is quite good and a good flick from a signal stop cab put you way ahead of mundane traffic.
  • USP - I feel it's a good centre point between a city ride and tourer. Feels solid and well planted, even on unpaved surfaces (did about half a KM)
    • Main gripe - foot peg position is not very good. Interference with leg of a short person like me(165 cm). But once used to it, may be manageable. Could keep both legs well planted even with the width of the engine.
    • Stop and go traffic a bit of heat was felt may be as it was practically a new bike

Dealer - Shivaji's Trivandrum and experience was very very positive and they were eager to answer the questions and no nonsense approach to arrange the TR.

I hope they have plans for a mag-wheel version- I would book one readily as my touring bike

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th December 2018 at 16:09.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 16:16   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I hope they have plans for a mag-wheel version- I would book one readily as my touring bike

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram
Ahha...Ram Sir to the party.
Very similar findings except that due to my height i could not find much hassles, but fully agree with you on the seats and handlebar. Of and only if the handle bar was a bit more raised and seats a bit more refined.

Did you check out the engine when you put it in some sorta stress? Like trying to lug it in a higher gear with lower speeds? I was really amazed at the tuning setup of this bike. Pulls through without any stress or jerks.

Possibly someone comes along with a map am sure it can be a better trotter on the highway as well, should easily match to a stock Bonnie.

But i felt it is currently in its sweet spot, giving you very good mid range and top end. Felt the lower end could have been a bit more stronger.

PS: When are you booking?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 16:26   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Did you check out the engine when you put it in some sorta stress? Like trying to lug it in a higher gear with lower speeds? I was really amazed at the tuning setup of this bike. Pulls through without any stress or jerks.
Thats what I diid too, and my comment that it pulls well up to 4th well and even in cruise conditions

Quote:
Possibly someone comes along with a map am sure it can be a better trotter on the highway as well, should easily match to a stock Bonnie.
Agree fully on this - Triumph India will have a their hand full with "Bonnie Class vs Interceptor" strategies, specially if RE can maintaine reasonable QC and QA.

Quote:
PS: When are you booking?
No call yet. I may be waiting till a tubeless tyre option is given by RE or by a reliable after market player

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 16:29   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone here ridden the Interceptor or the GT between 110/120 kmph on the highway? What are your thoughts?

I have, but would like to keep still, as I am not sure if there was an issue with the test ride bike, or if that's how it is in general.

Bounced the heck out of the revv limiter. Cracking fun I would never put my own bike through.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks