Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 11:13   #1996
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
So, I rode a bike after a gap of 2 years and what better than RE GT650 to ignite love for riding again. Pulsar 180 UG4 was my last ride.
I generally prefer faired bike to a cruiser or naked but GT650 is such a value for money and all rounder offering, I made an exception and went for a test drive.
Hi fellow citizen from the same city! It seems you have made your mind up on the GT, if you are still looking at the RC390, i can tell you a couple of things you will miss the refinement and sweet exhaust note of the GT. The RC390 will be better at corners and is lighter so that is that! When i bought mine from RE Wakdewadi in January i got it in just over a month, I am not sure what the waiting period is now. If you want to check out the GT and test ride you can check out mine . I have changed the rear tail light and indicators which you were not a fan off.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:06   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Long time lurker here. I have been reading this thread for past few days as CGT650 has caught my eye.

I read till page 60-62 and its too much to follow through everyone' reply - so here I am asking to owners of this bike, a question that might have been answered but I lost patience to search - is the front wobble still an issue, commonly seen even on 2020 MY of these bikes? I saw a few reports here that multiple people faced the wobble and RE service was unable to rectify it 100%. Again that was only halfway through the thread and I don't know if they were fixed later.

I am not worried about niggles like fuel cap seal leaking water, or weak-ass headlamp. The wobble has me truly worried, having experienced it first hand on an HD at about 60-65, it is something I do NOT want to go through again.

That and the tubed tires. Did anyone manage to implant tubeless rims from somewhere else successfully? I asked this to RE twitter but no answer.

Also if anyone could give me realistic expectation on delivery wait times (For white or Mayhem color scheme) in Maharashtra/Pune region that would be great. I asked this too to RE twitter handle but they are yet to respond. I am sensitive about delivery times as I would be flying out of country by February second week at the latest.

Besides that, is there a specific RE owners buy/sell/discussion group somewhere (Not on Facebook)? I am kinda surprised that there are no proper reviews of this bike by mags like Evo or Autocar. All I can find is crappy click-bait websites like Bikedekho etc. The reviews by western media are great, especially the ones by cycle world and RevZilla. But something done on Indian roads would be better. I can only find first ride, first impression, launch news. No long term reports or even full test ride.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:34   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
is the front wobble still an issue, commonly seen even on 2020 MY of these bikes? I saw a few reports here that multiple people faced the wobble and RE service was unable to rectify it 100%. Again that was only halfway through the thread and I don't know if they were fixed later.

That and the tubed tires. Did anyone manage to implant tubeless rims from somewhere else successfully? I asked this to RE twitter but no answer.
Besides that, is there a specific RE owners buy/sell/discussion group somewhere (Not on Facebook)?

I own the Interceptor BS6 version, no wobbling issue faced by me since February.

Haven't converted to tubeless so cannot comment on that because untill RE comes up with their own alloys I am not keen on doing this experiment with aftermarket offerings.

There are several 650 discussion groups on whatsapp and telegram. Post the request on the 650 Facebook page and the admins will add you there.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:35   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Update at 11000 Kms with my Interceptor

PS: Racetech Springs have released their version for both the twins. Costs 130$
Update @ 15000 kms with my Interceptor

Bike has been holding up really well. No funny noises from the engine. The last 8 months was a bit long duration where it ran very less. Part of it was to blame the arrival of a new machine and part of it due to the pandemic.Must admit the chain and sprocket are real quality ones along with the rims. Believe the rim are from Excel and they are fantastic. Brakes are still pretty good for another 10-12K.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20200412wa0013.jpg

Been trying to balance both the bikes but it is a hard task as both have its shares of thrills and spills.

More on the Interceptor

1) Ergonomics: Nothing much to complain, have retained it completely stock and have gotten used to the setup.

2) Engine & Gearbox: Guess RE invested all their money into the development of engine and gear box. Engine is smooth and switching gears are perfect. No issue of false neutrals or notchy shifting. Slotting in neutral even from the first is perfectly done.

3) Suspension: Both the front and rear have gone soft, should plan for an upgradation from YSS or Ohlins based on the pocket affordability. The rear wallows even on straight line plus cornering once you cross 100. Just does not hold its line during cornering.

4) Tires: The rear tire seems good enough for another 500 to 600 kms. Considering the Pirelli/Timsun/Metzeler that are available in the market. Will be looking for road biased ones as I don't see this doing too much of off roading. Any suggestions are welcome

5) Mods: The Himalayan windshield does its job well upto 120 kays, above those speeds makes it ineffective. Have been noticing a couple of people updating about the carbon racing, shall watch their progress/feedback on it.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200820_065759-edited.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:42   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+], also please avoid quoting an entire large post for short reply since it affects readability. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I own the Interceptor BS6 version, no wobbling issue faced by me since February.

Haven't converted to tubeless so cannot comment on that because untill RE comes up with their own alloys I am not keen on doing this experiment with aftermarket offerings.

There are several 650 discussion groups on whatsapp and telegram. Post the request on the 650 Facebook page and the admins will add you there.
Thanks! and that's good to hear. I see you are in Mumbai - did you have to wait longer than 2 months for delivery?
Regarding those groups,I stopped using FB. Will have to reactivate the account just to send them a text. I was wondering about old-school webforums like this, these are great and better IMHO. I am on some other discussion group on Whatsapp and despise that format sorry nothing against your suggestion, just my observation. I guess I will stick to this thread as my go-to in case I end up buying the bike. This is excellent resource in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Update @ 15000 kms with my Interceptor
=========
Attachment 2045740
Blackened rims look great. Is it a professional powder coat job or DIY Plastidip with graphite/metalizer?

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2020 at 12:58.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:56   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm still awaiting a test ride of the 390 as I type this. I do hope to get a call back once it's available.

I for one like ADV styling, good ground clearance, suspension etc. But this 650 parallel twin at 3lakh change sounds crazy.
Another alternative for your requirement could be used Versys 650 for around 4L. Cant go much wrong even with a used one, as the engine is well made and bike can go on and on for lakhs of kms.
But If you have to choose between 390adv and interceptor 650, you will have look inside and figure yourself as a rider. Whether your style/preference of riding is high revving bikes which are super fun and best enjoyed in the power band, or relaxed torquey engine like that of interceptor. Weight is another factor, the less the better for offroad riding aka 390 adv, and the heavier interceptor may feel more planted on the highway. Ergonomics and riding triangle wise, both bikes are similar with a slight forward inclined upper body posture, and similarly placed footrest. some if it can be customized to an extent with after market accessories.
Suspension is an important department and interceptor may not be very comfortable on bad broken roads. 390Adv is been conceived for adventure so would obviously be better on suspension. Looks wise, one is typical british retro, and other is typical KTM dna and both have their takers. You will have to decide your pick.
As you mentioned your primary requirement is touring, for which the 390 adv definitely works better then interceptor in general. But only if it was that simple as choosing a bike is got a lot to do with where your heart lies. You could also modify the interceptor with large windscreen, risers, seat mod, suspensions, luggage provisions etc to improve its touring capabilities. I tried doing that with my interceptor, and feel its much improved for touring then the stock bike. sharing some pics for ref.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200208_082336.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200621_172625.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200809_091308.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 13:03   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
[b]
Blackened rims look great. Is it a professional powder coat job or DIY Plastidip with graphite/metalizer?
Thank you, they are pretty much stock and came with the bike. IIRC the Ravishing Red plus the Baker Express are two colors which have their rims blackened.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 14:17   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Ahh I see. I need to do some more research. Didn't see that option for cgt and dealer near me are worthless. None in stock.
Old 21st August 2020, 15:00   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Another alternative for your requirement could be used Versys 650 for around 4L. Cant go much wrong even with a used one, as the engine is well made and bike can go on and on for lakhs of kms.
Good point. I have followed three separate threads on Versys here, all fascinating and fantastic to say the very least. Even though I can't afford it yet, my mind has done the Versys vs V-Strom comparison many times over, without having ridden one, forget about just sitting on it. I'm not sure if one would be so easily available for 4L but since you brought it up, I'll be sure to check it out.
Even so, I have an affinity towards "easy/cheap-to-maintain". That's why I've been thinking about "made-in-India" at this point, where I know I can afford what comes later, after a purchase. Yes, self-service is one route which can significantly reduce costs though.

Quote:
But If you have to choose between 390adv and interceptor 650, you will have look inside and figure yourself as a rider. Whether your style/preference of riding is high revving bikes which are super fun and best enjoyed in the power band, or relaxed torquey engine like that of interceptor.
Look within you say - being brutally honest, I've always loved what the Duke 390 offers, and now that it's come in a newer and more suited-for-India avatar, I've already got a soft corner for it.
At this point, I'm restricted to one bike only. Ideally, I would've liked to have them both. While I don't really mind high revving bikes, the concern I have there is vibrations and that, even over 50kms, can be a "buzz"-kill. That's what concerns me about the Adv 390, based on what I've read and seen from reviews.

Quote:
Weight is another factor, the less the better for offroad riding aka 390 adv, and the heavier interceptor may feel more planted on the highway. Ergonomics and riding triangle wise, both bikes are similar with a slight forward inclined upper body posture, and similarly placed footrest. some if it can be customized to an extent with after market accessories.
Suspension is an important department and interceptor may not be very comfortable on bad broken roads. 390Adv is been conceived for adventure so would obviously be better on suspension. Looks wise, one is typical british retro, and other is typical KTM dna and both have their takers. You will have to decide your pick.
At this point, I'm not big on off-roading, though, being human, I'd love to have the option of being able to do that at least. Following your's and Red Liner's trail journeys, it has created an itch to attempt and learn riding on tougher terrains though.
Ergos are important for me more from a 2-up riding perspective. As a rider, I can see myself being comfortable on both. But the suspension setup, coupled with ergos for the pillion, definitely adds points for the 390. But there are umpteen accessories/mods for the 650 to improve ergos, e.g. bar risers, pillion footpeg extender, seat adjustment, windshield, etc, all at additional cost. Not to mention, the suspension may also need tweaking/upgrading given what everyone says.
Looks-wise, I have no preference. One has charm, while the other is a more mean-looking tall-boy.

Quote:
As you mentioned your primary requirement is touring, for which the 390 adv definitely works better then interceptor in general. But only if it was that simple as choosing a bike is got a lot to do with where your heart lies. You could also modify the interceptor with large windscreen, risers, seat mod, suspensions, luggage provisions etc to improve its touring capabilities. I tried doing that with my interceptor, and feel its much improved for touring then the stock bike. sharing some pics for ref.
I have followed this thread keenly, so I'm aware of some of the mods you have done
I guess only a test ride of the 390 will solve this internal debate. Having already ridden the 650, that engine is just butter smooth.

If KTM can buy that from RE and fit it on the ADV, all's well
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:02   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The service interval is 1 year or 10k kilometers, whichever happens earlier. There's a general checkup at 6 months or 5k kilometers which isn't mandatory, they just check the engine oil level and top it up if it's low. Service costs approx 2500rs.
P. S. I had 180 ug4 before as well
Thanks for confirmation buddy. Seems dealership themselves aren't clear. As per them, out of the total 4 free services, first 2 need to be done in first 6 months. Remaining 2 can be done at 6 months interval. Free service need to be completed by 18 months.

GT650 seems logical upgrade for P180 guys. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
Hi fellow citizen from the same city! i got it in just over a month, I am not sure what the waiting period is now. If you want to check out the GT and test ride you can check out mine . I have changed the rear tail light and indicators which you were not a fan off.
Hi there, buddy
I just wanted to test drive BS6 RC390. After all, it was the first love before GT 650 change the equation in lower price category. RC390 is a bit impractical anyways since my wife will be pillion for most of the rides. I took a test-ride and might take one again from dealership before taking the plunge. Thanks for the offer for test ride
Please share a click of the GT's rear, if you can.
Old 21st August 2020, 15:24   #2006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for confirmation buddy. Seems dealership themselves aren't clear. As per them, out of the total 4 free services, first 2 need to be done in first 6 months. Remaining 2 can be done at 6 months interval. Free service need to be completed by 18 months.
As yesyeswe mentioned, the actual service schedule is:
- first service at 500 km / 45 days from date of purchase
- second service at 10,000 km / 1 year
- Thereafter every 10,000 km or 1 year from previous service. This is as per the owner's manual itself. The in-between service listing at 5000 km intervals they do not change anything unless you specifically ask. It (5000 km 'service') is more of an inspection and chain-adjustment+lubing and doesn't count as your service as such, it can even be skipped for all practical purposes. Don't bother arguing with the sales folks, many of them are themselves confused because even the service coupons are printed in a very confusing manner. In the manual, RE has put 2 service coupons next to each other for 5000 km /12 months and 10000 km /12 months and called both as second service . Sales reps want to play it safe so they choose to tell the more frequent interval of the two

Quote:
RC390 is a bit impractical anyways since my wife will be pillion for most of the rides. I took a test-ride and might take one again from dealership before taking the plunge. Thanks for the offer for test ride
Please share a click of the GT's rear, if you can.
Do take a test ride with the pillion because the twins are not very pillion friendly, both exhaust-wise and ergonomics-wise. It will definitely be better than RC 390 though

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st August 2020 at 15:29.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:35   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
As yesyeswe mentioned, the actual service schedule is:
- first service at 500 km / 45 days from date of purchase
- second service at 10,000 km / 1 year
- Thereafter every 10,000 km or 1 year from previous service. This is as per the owner's manual itself.

Do take a test ride with the pillion because the twins are not very pillion friendly, both exhaust-wise and ergonomics-wise. It will definitely be better than RC 390 though
Thanks for the confirmation Karthik regarding service schedule.
For pillion, yes, I went through your review in detail and know the hazards. I asked my wife to sit with me in GT and check the posture, etc. She found it quite similar to P180. However, since I was driving a bike after a gap of 2 years, she didn't accompanied me in test ride. She wanted me to have a quick solo run first. I will take a ride again along with her before booking to get her point of view.

Thanks for an extremely detailed review.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:55   #2008
BHPian

Quote:

GT650 seems logical upgrade for P180 guys. lol.
The dealerships are lying or maybe just trying to confuse you, RE compensates them for the free service which we get done from the service centers. We get 4 free services, 1st is done after 30-45 days, then 1 service every year. So basically you get free services for 3 years, consumables are extra ofcourse.

Here i'm attaching the service coupons which came in the service manual, it clearly says everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200821_155005__01.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 16:38   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good point. I have followed three separate threads on Versys here, all fascinating and fantastic to say the very least. Even though I can't afford it yet, my mind has done the Versys vs V-Strom comparison many times over, without having ridden one, forget about just sitting on it. I'm not sure if one would be so easily available for 4L but since you brought it up, I'll be sure to check it out.
Even so, I have an affinity towards "easy/cheap-to-maintain". That's why I've been thinking about "made-in-India" at this point, where I know I can afford what comes later, after a purchase. Yes, self-service is one route which can significantly reduce costs though.
A new 390 adv or interceptor itself is 3L+ taxes amd some spend on customization. I was being optimistic with 4L for a used versys but i have heard of versys going for as much as 4.5L. But you are right as maintenance, service and spares are expensive and the charm of a new bike is something different.
Quote:
Look within you say - being brutally honest, I've always loved what the Duke 390 offers, and now that it's come in a newer and more suited-for-India avatar, I've already got a soft corner for it.
At this point, I'm restricted to one bike only. Ideally, I would've liked to have them both. While I don't really mind high revving bikes, the concern I have there is vibrations and that, even over 50kms, can be a "buzz"-kill. That's what concerns me about the Adv 390, based on what I've read and seen from reviews.
We are all chasing the perfect 'do it all' bike, but its still elusive. So compromises are inevitable in selecting any bike. You would have to choose the picks and mises basis your preference. The soft corner for 390 adv makes things easier actually. Its a good bike for your requirement which is mainly touring, and touring in india is about all sort of road conditions where 390adv is much more versatile. Even for pillion, the seating is an improvement over the dukes. Interceptor is not really knows for its seat either. 390 being a big single will have some buzz at higher rpms, but even interceptor gets a bit buzzy if pushed hard, ofcourse not as much. Like i said, some compromises are inevitable.
Do try and get a longish test ride of both the bikes back to back and see how they fare.
Quote:
If KTM can buy that from RE and fit it on the ADV, all's well
you are in line. I have been wising to fit that engine on my 310GS for a long long time now.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 21st August 2020 at 16:41.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:27   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I have been wising to fit that engine on my 310GS for a long long time now.
Honestly gone are those days where you have one size fits all. Always believed its more like horses for courses. Having said that am still defining a proper use case for my Twin with the Wee around. Did not have the heart to see the twin even when a friend approached me with my expected price.

But yes end of the day, twins seems to be a jack of all as it does many stuff easily except for the hard core riding that Ramana does with you (hope you also join him)
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks