Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 14:39   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

So in short, the kit+installation came to close to 8k, and for the kind of experience I had, in hindsight I wish I had waited for the alloys from RE - which would be available 'God-knows-when'
This kit honestly to me looks like a scam. They are selling silicone sealant (probably not the best grade too) which is available for 500 bucks a bottle and the gun is available from 200 rupees. So practically they are charging 8k for a 700 rupees product!
Secondly the process of applying silicone sealant is person driven and is bound to cause imbalances in the tyre. If it were done perfectly by machine it would have been much better..
Instead of a sealant based solution, I would recommend swapping the wheels out for Alloys. There was a website King Indian (please search on youtube) who was selling interceptor alloys for around 7999 for the set and the design was also really neat.
https://kingindian.in/Alloy-Wheels-f...650-p181284483
The guy also has a channel on Youtube with the same name.
(I have no association or affiliation with him and am sharing this link to help other tbhpians)

Last edited by Behemoth : 26th March 2020 at 14:44.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 09:43   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Instead of a sealant based solution, I would recommend swapping the wheels out for Alloys. There was a website King Indian (please search on Youtube) who was selling interceptor alloys for around 7999 for the set and the design was also really neat.
https://kingindian.in/Alloy-Wheels-for-Royal-Enfield-Interceptor-650-&-Continental-GT-650-p181284483
I would highly recommend to wait for official alloys or maybe from a reputed company. No offense to King Indian but I doubt any significant testing has been carried out. The wheel is a very critical component of bike - just imagine the alloy breaking at any speed.
timuseravan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 06:32   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I would highly recommend to wait for official alloys or maybe from a reputed company. No offense to King Indian but I doubt any significant testing has been carried out. The wheel is a very critical component of bike - just imagine the alloy breaking at any speed.

I agree. Especially since the twins are about 20kgs heavier than the outgoing classic models.
That, and these king Indian alloys are just not to my taste. I want something understated, simple. I have been pondering over getting a sealant based tubeless conversion, but I think I'd rather wait for the OEM alloys.
That does mean losing out on the benefits of a spoked wheel though. And I would be very, VERY afraid of nasty potholes. I have seen people get cracked rims because of potholes on something as light as the D390. A 200+ kg int/gt, with that excessively soft front suspension + a single hard hit pothole will most certainly crack the alloy I feel.
I wouldn't venture towards alloys before doing something about that fron suspension.
Old 28th March 2020, 09:51   #1804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This kit honestly to me looks like a scam. They are selling silicone sealant (probably not the best grade too) which is available for 500 bucks a bottle and the gun is available from 200 rupees. So practically they are charging 8k for a 700 rupees product!
As Simple As That.

What still surprises me is the audacity to pass off such jugads as warranted products.

Quote:
There was a website King Indian (please search on Youtube) who was selling interceptor alloys for around 7999 for the set and the design was also really neat.
Royal Enfield aftermarket alloy disintegrates while riding (Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding)

Need more be said?
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 12:06   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup the quality is very questionable. I for one am fine with my spoked wheels and the max I may do is add some puncture proofing sealant in the tube if I go on a long ride. But for now the lockdown is here to stay for a few months and I doubt I will be going anywhere.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 14:45   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
As Simple As That.

What still surprises me is the audacity to pass off such jugads as warranted products.

Royal Enfield aftermarket alloy disintegrates while riding (Video: Enfield Bullet aftermarket alloys disintegrate while riding)

Need more be said?
This is nightmare fuel This is why I will not trust a third party alloy wheel maker.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 20:07   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I have the same kit on my motorcycle. Though the kit is competitively priced and has been performing flawlessly over the last 4 months and 2000 km, I had a terrible experience with the guy who installed it.

This is a standalone kit, and the installation is up to the buyer. In my case, I was suggested a particular garage for installation from the seller himself, so went there without any second thoughts.

So it made me an extremely disappointed customer who would never ever be back to that garage ever.
Thanks for sharing your experience of the kit Aravind. I came across that video too and wasn't sure how good it'll be regarding.
Regarding the garage where you took it, I hope you informed and shared your experience with the seller?
Can you let us know which garage was this? So we can probably avoid this place in the future.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:31   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Twin owners that have covered 7000+ kms, a query to you. Saw the below quote by @saishivaj on his ownership thread, putting out my question to the larger audience out here.

My bike's currently around the 8.5k km mark. The tire thread seemed fine (or so I thought) so haven't really focussed on replacement yet. Did a 1000+ km ride (trip deets here), and the tires functioned perfectly fine.

I remember a few folks on this thread talking about replacing their tires around the 10k km mark; if you have done it, can you please share at what km mark was it done? And any chance you have a picture of the old tire condition? Just trying to be proactive once the lockdown is removed (whenever it does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
My rear tire went completely bald at 7600 km and I wished they lasted longer given I want to do very long rides.
Old 9th April 2020, 08:16   #1809
BHPian

I replaced the engine oil at 4500kms with Motul 7100. After 500 kms of riding I found the gear changes are smoother, performance remains same even when the engine is hot, but heating is more than stock oil. I always used Motul for my scooters but never felt the heat due to the body panels. Is this normal behavior ?
Old 9th April 2020, 17:20   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
The Origin

Thought it wouldn't be inappropriate to visit the roots of Royal Enfield Interceptor and put couple of pictures of a well kept specimen here

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-re-interceptor-mk2-1.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-re-interceptor-mk2.jpeg

Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk2 - 1962
Engine: 736cc OHV Vertical Twin 4 Stroke
Bore & Stroke: 71 x 93mm
Carburettors: Twin Amal Concentric 30mm Choke Diameter
Ignition: 12v. Lucas Capacitator System With Twin Coils. Automatic Advance
Rear Suspension: Pivoted Fork with Girling Oil-Controlled Damper Units
Front Fork: Telescopic with Two Way Hydraulic Damping
Hubs: Full Width, Light Alloy. QD Rear
Brakes: 8″ x 11/4″ Front, 7″ x 1″ Rear

Whether the designers of new gen Interceptors were able to replicate the graceful design nuances of the 1962 one (may be they didn't want to) - leave it to the new gen users !

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Source: https://classicbikehistory.com/royal...ceptor-mark-2/
r_nairtvm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:53   #1811
BHPian

Some initial feedback on the scenario post lockdown:

Spoke to a manager at RE in Kerala, quite surprised that he was quite eager to get details of a potential customer to generate a lead(was enquiring for a family member who has been won over by my bike). Was surprising because, in my previous interactions, he was certainly very helpful and courteous, but I got the distinct feeling that he was not overly concerned about pushing the twins(early Feb-first lots of the BS6 twins). Quite understandable since people were still lining up to buy them.

Seems that RE, or at least the sharper employees among them, would look to clear any BS6 stocks stuck with them because of the lockdown. People would definitely move auto purchases down their list of needs, i assume a good percentage of people will push purchases by 3-6 months, if not more.

My rationale being that:

1. I have personally done a bit of soul searching to try and rationalise my planned expenditure and save more than before, the lockdown and the loss of livelihood around us does make one think and i am sure some proportion of the earners could have had similar thoughts.
2. Banks may look to sweeten loan rates because consumption spending is going to be a big zero, so waiting may be beneficial.
3. Auto makers, both 2 and 4 wheelers, are staring down an abyss. There is just no way to anticipate if demand will ever return. Lot of people would have realised they can make do with a self-drive when needed.(there is already an active thread on this)
4. If indeed buyers do not return, automakers are looking at steep production cuts.
5.Coming to RE, the twins were doing really well everywhere they had been launched, now the exports will take a hit, and the domestic demand might disappear too, so slightly more attractive pricing?(as if it wasn't VFM already)
Old 17th April 2020, 16:30   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
After returning from a breakfast ride with fellow bhpian @sukiwa I landed up in Brahma Motors, Wakdewadi, Pune.

I've some personal commitments to fulfill till then I'm a fence sitter!
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_mg_5397.jpg
Well I was watching from the fence for quite a long time, I guess.
Better late than never, finally got my Ravishing Red beauty in Feb 2020. Yes it's a BS-IV model, I got it before the price hike.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_mg_5408.jpg
Why the interceptor? I was obvious choice and value for money after riding a Classic 350 for 5.5 years and 45k kms (I missed the 50k milestone) My grin tells it all, INT650 is an obvious upgrade from a CL350. In someways it's so understated that you can just be yourself in the crowd! Though the left silencer is a bit un-welcoming in bumper to bumper traffic, there's always a nudge or two. This is my daily rider as I let go my CL350.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_mg_5398.jpg
Luckily I pulled off a road trip before lockdown 2020 (covid19 pandemic). It was a 750km round trip to Ratnagiri (konkan), Maharashtra.
I loved the highways and ghat sections. The 6th gear overtakes on the highways was a great experience. The ghats keep you involved. It's a ton of fun.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_mg_5409.jpg
The weight is a bit too much at standstill and the front biased load needs some getting used to. I've kept ergonomics stock as of now. The slightly forward bars are fun in the corners but pain in bad stretches. Let me figure out what I need first then I'll start with the modifications. In addition, there is an itch to change the end cans to reduce the bulk which I kept stock on the CL350 all these years!

Thanks to sukiwa for the pictures and bearing with me all these years and almost a year of persuasions and status updates on, "When is INT650 coming?" There were some color options available at the end but we stuck to our original booking choice of Ravishing Red!

Note: I took off the riding jacket for posing!

Now in lockdown, odo reads at 1,450 kms and I'm just waiting and hoping for good!

See you on the road (someday)
--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 17:01   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
5.Coming to RE, the twins were doing really well everywhere they had been launched, now the exports will take a hit, and the domestic demand might disappear too, so slightly more attractive pricing?(as if it wasn't VFM already)
I seriously doubt there will be any price cuts from RE; although you might find loan financing rates a bit more attractive as banks *might* roll out some sweetners to get more deals.

With a price tag that touches 3L (/~$6000 overseas), the Twins definitely are not for the average Joe on the road but they turn out to be a huge VFM bike for the blokes looking at the 600cc+ segments. Folks like us who are going to buy it are doing it because they find the bike worth the value and need one. So the demand will pick up very much indeed (and might even spike up high) once the lockdown conditions are relaxed going forward. In India and overseas too.

If the mind is made, interested parties should try fishing for a deal now (maybe accessories?) and book the bike.
Old 17th April 2020, 17:16   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I seriously doubt there will be any price cuts from RE; although you might find loan financing rates a bit more attractive as banks *might* roll out some sweetners to get more deals.
Agree, this is definitely a heart over head purchase. That being said, I hear a lot of folks have started to lose jobs or are in danger of doing so. It’s when things like that happen that a bike such as this falls off the wish list. Sincerely hope things turn around for the unlucky among us. On a happier note, my relative has made the booking and is now waiting impatiently for the day he gets his bike.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th April 2020 at 17:41. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2020, 21:21   #1815
BHPian

Has anyone here installed S&S exhaust cones? Would love to know if they are as good as they sound. Saw the 'race only' ones listed on the high note performance site. What attracts me more is the fact that they are significantly slimmer and lighter. Definitely planning to explore replacing the stock cones in a year or two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks