Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:41   #16
BANNED

Re: Evap Canister Clean - DIY for the Royal Enfield Himalayan BS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The old AVL 500 engine had this oil catch tank which was to collect sludge and residue from a crank case exhaust line or blow by gas line. This tank had to be cleaned out during service intervals.
This is one of those things that should be scrapped as soon as you get your hands on the motorcycle, and RE seems to have quite of few of those things in place.

Get rid of the catch can and seal the port at the air filter box end, connect an OEM Royal Enfield DuckBill breather to the crank case port and direct the end of the breather to the rear chain.

Costs Rs.20/- per piece.

Evap Canister Clean - DIY for the Royal Enfield Himalayan BS4-breather.jpg

Here's a snap of the breather redirecting blow-by to the chain.

Evap Canister Clean - DIY for the Royal Enfield Himalayan BS4-redirected.jpg

No more air filter getting flooded, plus you get an auto chain lube mechanism for free.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very informative. Thank for sharing.

Maybe there is a image missing. What exactly did you clean on this EVAP can, other than cleaning the externals?

These quirks do not come as a surprise. RE has a long standing history of designing things in such a way that they leave some bits for you to figure out.

The old AVL 500 engine had this oil catch tank which was to collect sludge and residue from a crank case exhaust line or blow by gas line. This tank had to be cleaned out during service intervals. As you know, that probably never happened if you did hand your bike to your friendly neighborhood RE authorized garage, which my friend did as he did not believe in the concept of "local garages". This catch tank has another feeder pipe that leads to the air filter box. When you do not flush that oil residue catch tank, it over flows and sends that residue down the other pipe which goes into the air filter box. What happens next should be an easy guess. Your air filter gets soaked in oil. Works alright for some time as it acts like a K&N filter. Once it gets really soaked, your engine gasps for air and eventually dies. There will be oil dripping from your air filter and in some cases, flow out of the air filter box itself once the filter is soaked.

This happened to my friend and while we were on a road trip. We did not have a spare air filter nor did we have the knowledge on how to tackle this problem. We were stuck on a highway with not a village or garage in sight. The only way was to literally rest the bike on the road, to the side of the air filter and let the oil drain out slowly. This poured out some more sludge from that catch tank and on the road. We could resume our journey after some time.

We did learn something out of this but it was not without anger and frustration. Who wants to be stranded on the road.

On a positive note, I don't believe RE operates like the days it used to make the AVL 500. Things have definitely changed and for the better.
Hello Sandeep. The experiment began when a routine visit to my SVC and pestering them why a new BS4 with less than 400 kays on the ODO here and why again, what's with and what not. Casually inquiring them about why someone's brand new BS4 has been having stalling issues, they did answer me with a conundrum of answers, but a point that hit me hard was their mention of the EVAP thingy.

Heading back home, a little homework is all that it took to know what really was the culprit. Then began the real work considering the muck I ride in here. What was primarily a homework that was trying to re-route any kinked tube, led me all the way to the black box underneath, and so the story unfolded as it wasn't specfically an EVAP Cansiter clean procedure, I intended to do a different procedure and what transpired was an altogether different story.

Nevertheless, the end results were satisfactory in knowing something can be done to a simple yet frustrating niggle that can perhaps help someone.

What was cleaned? The entire setup removed, blowed with compressed air to make sure all the plastic tubes on the skidlate are block free, removed and re-installed everything back, basically it was a thorough kerosene soaked cleaning and an air-blowjob to make sure it's clean and clear.

Can be a placebo effect, but I did feel the bike a little eager low-down. Earlier, there used to be subdued lag, very minuscule, but you can feel it when you open the throttle low down, surprisingly it's vanished now and she feels a little peppier, low down which I did feel as a welcome change. Oh yes, I had trouble inserting two images and for some reason I can't re-edit the post, two images to be precise are missing.

That's pretty much there is to it.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 22nd November 2018 at 18:53.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 00:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
No more air filter getting flooded, plus you get an auto chain lube mechanism for free.
Yes. This is what was finally done at an FNG. The Authorized place won't bother doing such stuff. Most older Enfields have this arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
What was cleaned?
Did you pump kerosene through the tubes leading into the EVAP can?
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 14:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did you pump kerosene through the tubes leading into the EVAP can?

Nopes. Only the outer was soaked in kerosene by spraying on them and allowing them to rinse for a few minutes and then brushed off. All the tubes were removed, were thoroughly air blown and then reinstalled. The U like vent tube that's attached to the canister had mild muck inside which was cleaned and re-installed. Rest of them were pretty much okay.

Cheers!
VJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks