Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 09:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Downright unethical. Why aren't automobile publications talking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
A hard hitting article, ( I'd prefer one by Shubhabrata Marmar, in his immensely readable, accurate & investigative journalistic style) will cause a lot of people to sit up and take notice and may even lead them to make a conscious effort to not pay bribes while buying automobiles. Maybe it will be a start.
Yeah, This is definitely a topic for Shubhabrata marmar to voice his opinion. He must be able to understand the outrage felt by a customer when a premium brand motorcycle dealer treats him like trash. Auto publications are not just to review products, they have to review manufacturer and dealer practices, attitude and ASS too.
Gildarts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:07   #47
BHPian

Re: Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!

Just thinking, TBHP can have a section called dealer rating where there can be city wise, brand wise filtering. People can evaluate and rate the dealers. Something like a zomato for auto dealers?
avanishphatak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:13   #48
BHPian

Re: Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
What offer had you requested?

They all charge this, but some dealerships are ready to negotiate, if not drop the charges completely
By 'offer' the sales personnel meant "waiving off the handling charges". He messaged me saying this offer is not possible and hence booking is cancelled.

Like I mentioned before, I wanted to go ahead with the purchase irrespective of these charges. However, compared to the ex-showroom price of the bike, the handling charges were simply exorbitant. My asking them to provide an explanation and waive these off was primarily to open some negotiation to rationalize these high charges. I tried this first through the dealer and then through Kawasaki when dealer was non-responsive. Unfortunately, Kawasaki didn't find it worth their time and I presume just forwarded my query to the dealer. The dealer turned out to be so arrogant that my booking was simply cancelled with WhatsApp note saying 'no offer possible'. So there was simply no room for negotiation.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is like taking for a ride even before the bike is delivered. I am interested to know if any legal action can be taken against the dealer for cancelling booking for such reasons.

We recently purchased a TVS Jupiter for my dad and they had mentioned some additional handling charges of 1100 Rs in the invoice. Considering the scooter is selling like hot cakes, I told the sales person that though the amount is relatively less, I am not going to pay it, after a lot of negotiations, he gave discount of 1000 Rs on accessories but kept the handling charges as it is. I am still confused why he insisted on keeping handling charges line item intact while doling out a discount of the same amount on accessories. Is it some accounting trick they do for tax benefits ?
Old 9th October 2018, 12:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was just thinking what are the costs that they want to charge the customer as Handling charges without a proper Billing?

I could think of only the below:

1. Bribe to RTO staff to move the files from one desk to another and register the vehicle
2. Fuel to commute the vehicle from Dealership to RTO and come back and keep some residual fuel for the owner to do first few Kms drive
3. Number plates charges and charges to the painter who writes the Registration number on the plate
4. Pooja Charges
5. Cleaning and washing charges
6. Accessories Fitment charges (This is only fitting charges, if any accessories are purchased in the dealership)

In my opinion, Other than bribing charges, dealership should charge and claim the cost through invoice rather than putting it under gray heading called handling charges.

I do not see anything wrong in invoicing all the above expenses. In fact, Honda dealers charge separately for Number plates and number painting. Why are the other costs not invoiced?
Old 9th October 2018, 13:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I am interested to know if any legal action can be taken against the dealer for cancelling booking for such reasons.

We recently purchased a TVS Jupiter for my dad
Is it even worth our time to take legal action against a dealer who doesn't want to sell a vehicle? Even if we win the battle, we still be dependent on the same dealer for service and I believe that the service will be anything but good.

It is better to get a refund and look for another dealer or manufacturer. But it is highly unlikely that we will find a dealer who does not charge "handling fee".

The thing with your Jupiter was that there was a deal going on and since you asked for it, they have offered you a discount. I bought a NTorq recently and the dealer near my home was not even ready to match the quote from a dealer a few km away whereas there were some good discounts on the Jupiter.

Generally dealers will not give any discounts for a moving product unless we ask for them a discount.
Old 9th October 2018, 13:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
.. I am still confused why he insisted on keeping handling charges line item intact while doling out a discount of the same amount on accessories. Is it some accounting trick they do for tax benefits ?
Waving off the handling charge would be sure shot Rs 1100/- loss for them. Accessories though are already overpriced; their cost includes huge margin for leverage in haggling or cases like this.

So in the end, not only the dealer kept his handling charges, he made more $ by selling you overpriced accessories. Like the insurance, avoid purchasing accessories from the dealers.

And generally friends, while how much I may hate being looted in the name of handling charges, it's there to stay. For a company the dealer's business is more valuable unless the people bring up something like class action suit which is not possible here. Both the parties know the truth about handling charges. So, just like any other 'sarkari' corrupt practice we hesitatingly accept and get on with the system. Here too smartly working on alternative discount if possible might be the end of it. I rather think of revving my Kawasaki than being without my dream bike due to this minor "right vs wrong" struggle. I've cajoled myself into believing that ex-showroom price is higher by that much, haggled on some accessory or freebie and quickly hitting the road.

'greenoval' (there's even a 'green' in your handle - Now what's the solution for you? R3 / another kawasaki dealer / humbly pay for N300? orrr that red triple? I say triple. The red is a lovely lovely monster.

Last edited by wangdu : 9th October 2018 at 13:56. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Now what's the solution for you? R3 / another kawasaki dealer / humbly pay for N300? orrr that red triple? I say triple. The red is a lovely lovely monster.
N300 Vs TRIPLE!!! Is that even a comparison though I have been an owner of both beautiful machines. It has to be the Triple blindly.

Looking at all the Kawasaki chaos and dealers enforcing monopolistic behaviors over superbike brands and their prices, off-topic but suddenly known pre-worshipped superbikes look so convenient to buy.

Less than 3 year old (For Finance options),
~ 10K Kms odo
No Insurance claim

seems an ideal buy.

@greenoval - you might want to look at such options.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Now what's the solution for you? R3 / another kawasaki dealer / humbly pay for N300? orrr that red triple? I say triple. The red is a lovely lovely monster.
No Kawasaki atleast for now. And the reason is not the handling charges but the attitude and high-handed behaviour. I stopped riding in 2004 and it's only recently that something rekindled that passion - midlife crisis or experiences of some fellow members who got back to riding I'm not sure. I'm looking for a bike that is refined, not intimidating for a newbie, offering some exclusivity and premiumness. That leaves me with R3 or RE twins (going by the reviews).
greenoval is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Kiran Malleshappa for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I have been going through the recent threads on the illegal handling charges by Kawasaki and BMW bike dealerships.

I would like to contribute these images from my side. Even KTM dealers in Bengaluru are not an exception in this regard.

The images were taken when I visited the showroom for the service of my bike. One picture was taken in July, while the other was taken in September after the insurance price hikes.

Dealership name - KTM BTM layout, Bengaluru
Handling charges - Rs.1000 flat for all KTM bikes.
Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!-ktm_handling_charges_btm_bangalore.jpg

Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!-ktm_handling_charges_btm_bangalore2.jpg
ChiragM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
.. I'm looking for a bike that is refined, not intimidating for a newbie, offering some exclusivity and premiumness. That leaves me with R3 or RE twins (going by the reviews).
If I were you I would let this heal for few days, swallow my ego and still buy N300. Really it's not a big deal. Customers cancel, re-book all the time; it's their everyday thing.

If Kawasaki is my ride I wouldn't let a rough snippet interfere with my long term fun. But if there's no looking back, R3 or CBR could match the refinement; more R3 than CBR though. RE twins launch in India is late '19 and then has to establish itself but all that aside, refinement/ reliability/premium = Japs. RE's would be a contrast not a competition. cheers.!
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
If I were you I would let this heal for few days, swallow my ego and still buy N300. Really it's not a big deal. Customers cancel, re-book all the time; it's their everyday thing.

I disagree. If it was just one transaction, I would have agreed to keep ego aside and get done with it. But this is a life-long commitment (okay, I am exaggerating a bit, but you get the point). Owning a bike is like adding a member to your family. You will have issues/niggles that you would like Kawasaki or the dealer to fix for you.

Without this confidence, spending close to 4 big ones on a bike is nothing but asking for trouble.
shifu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 18:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

Guys who do not mind or pay up for handling/logistics and other charges, I sincerely hope, they do not bargain with the old/aged vegetable vendor for a kilogram of vegetables. Of course, your money and your choice but why are you making the rich more rich and that too unethically.

The dealer does have fair enough margin on the vehicles being sold and when one goes to get it serviced, there is a margin of approx 25% on your bill in lieu of the dealer over and above the labor charge. If its not feasible for the dealership to run ethically, surrender the dealership.

Someone I know was in talks with KTM over a dealership and it was told point blank that you are supposed to charge [and get that printed] the ex-showroom price only, not a penny extra. If customer wishes to get insurance and registration done, then you may proceed or if someone wants the bike OTR, then the dealership may. But everything needs to be in black and white with no handling/logistics charge.
Sheel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 21:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Someone I know was in talks with KTM over a dealership and it was told point blank that you are supposed to charge [and get that printed] the ex-showroom price only, not a penny extra. If customer wishes to get insurance and registration done, then you may proceed or if someone wants the bike OTR, then the dealership may. But everything needs to be in black and white with no handling/logistics charge.
That's the expectation BMW and Kawasaki are unable to live upto! When someone is writing to the dealership, they want to wipe that grey patch with the company's help. On the contrary, the customer is getting snubbed.

We saw Suzuki dealer knocking off the extra bucks - may be fear of the company or may be just going ahead with a sale rather than dragging it further. Hope the first one is true. But whatever is the case, m sure they are gonna quote the inflated amont to the next unsuspecting customer walking through their showroom doors. That needs to stop somehow!
quickfox11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:32   #60
BHPian

Folks, sharing an update on the matter. Someone from Motosaki (Kawasaki Thane dealer) was trying to desperately get in touch with me since yesterday morning. I was busy with some meetings and unable answer any of those calls. Finally, sometime towards late afternoon the person managed to get through to me. He wanted my current location to meet up personally and discuss the whole fiasco and how the dealership can make up for the lapses. Even after a lot of persuasion, when I made it clear that I was not free and the discussion can be taken forward over the phone, he relented. Apparently, the news on Team-Bhp has gotten Kawasaki to take notice and the company wants an immediate resolution before further bad press. So the dealership is ready to discuss 'handling charges' as well as offer me the candy blue colour (for which they had initially told me 4 months waiting). To cut it short, they will see to it that I am happy with how things end but I should also mention on the Team-Bhp community that everything is sorted out amicably and the thread needs no further discussion. I made it clear to him that I have dropped the plan of getting a Ninja for now and also, what happens on Team-Bhp is beyond my control because from my side I had just posted my booking experience.

If Kawasaki is watching out for an update on this thread, then my suggestion is make 'no handling charges' a norm for all your dealers and the site will definitely highlight this positive development. On the other hand, if this is a one-off gesture for short-term damage control then its a wasted effort, as sooner than later, some other enthusiast will post his/her experience.
greenoval is offline   (54) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks