Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 11:25   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Both these bikes are not available in India.
I guess 790 Adventure is available as CKD! I'm not 100% sure but check with a dealer! When I asked a dealer in Bangalore through a friend, they shared rough pricing figure in India. If not, it's unveiled in the IBW and should not be more than a few months away to be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Both are different bike all together, you can't compare them.
My current ride is Tiger 800 XCX but I am keen on shifting towards Papa GS purely for adv rides along with light weight dual purpose 600-700 cc bike(KTM 690 enduro fits there) and one pure off road 250-450 cc bike(super light, powerful and top of the line shocks).

Trust me people swear by having only one light weight bike to do all job have not ridden big guns around.
They should try them once before coming to conclusion.
It's not a question of doing 1000 kms in a day, it's question how comfortably once can do 1000 kms in a day.
I cant take offroad bike on long 1000 km ride or enduro bike with knobby tyres on highway.
All these are made for purpose and they serve better when used for the purpose they are made for.
I guess its purely based on one's requirement and even more one's perspective of the requirement. I may be happy with a single 790 Adv bike that can do more than I wish today or in future. I may not go with a 250-450 cc dedicated light weight bike unless I have a rally track that I go to practice some. I assume they're better designed for a pure rally, track, technical riding that I dont know myself and don't see myself doing it in the near future (That's just my old age, not true for everyone here)

I love to ride to places in the country, as someone said, we may have to go sometimes more than 1000kms to get to an interesting places where we can do some dirt riding and I believe 790 Adv can do that just fine (when it releases next year per what is told in IBW!). When I'm riding solo, into the remote places in the country, I'd prefer a simple, light weight bike that can take me longer distances, take me through all the dirt trails. Though a big gun may provide better comfort, less preferred due to sheer weight and complexities around riding, maintaining etc. Again, its going to be ckd, not going to be manufactured in India and cost will be slightly under Tiger and that range of motorcycles. I may not have that much money right away to spend and hence 390 Adv sounds more interesting to me with lower capabilities. 790 Adv at 2kg less than the RE Himalayan (gives some perspective as most of us have ridden that), with the kind of capabilities it has can be an all-rounder for sure, for most of us, except those few who can outrun it's capacities as a rally motorcycle.
While some, like me, looking for something that is either placed right in between or closing the gap between the dual-sport and Adventure motorcycles. That's just my perspective.

Adding Jaggu's scenario, couldn't quote while editing.
-------------
And when it stops! (oh boy it can) and if on a slippery rock or granite, only thing you can do is bailout. From that perspective Tiger though top-heavy was much easier to handle due to less weight (40 kg does matter on a slipper sideways drop), but on highway definitely 20% less comfy. Now comes the impulse, which was super fun and carefree to throw around, but sorry boss it just doesn't have the power!
-------------
Do you think a middle weight motor like 790 adv with light weight could have performed better on highways on munching miles? I'm sure the light weight is a blessing when it stops on that slippery rock or granite!

Last edited by Ketan : 12th December 2019 at 11:34.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 12:22   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Do you think a middle weight motor like 790 adv with light weight could have performed better on highways on munching miles? I'm sure the light weight is a blessing when it stops on that slippery rock or granite!
No man, i have used lighter bikes and trust me they just don't offer the kind of comfort the heavier ones provide for long hauls. And the seating also matters, KTM's generally have a sleek and sharp seat, which is not something one can enjoy. So unless there is a substantial saving between a KTM and say a Triumph tiger, i would still prefer the latter. If KTM then you have to look at the 12xx series, which is more adept at Touring.

To keep it simple for anything less than 300-400 kms, any of these tourers would be ok for a seasoned rider. But once you stretch that beyond 500 kms, fun and fatigue begin and there, the most comfortable seat, max wind protection and best suspension matters. This is a hard reality for now.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 12:53   #348
Senior - BHPian

I feel a lot of it all depends on our power of affordability, which is THE most important factor. I got a chance to ride BMW GS 1200A for a day and super liked the bike. I would definitely want to have it, but can I afford it?? Forget the bike; it would be even difficult to afford a service. I managed to afford a Versys somehow but was scared to take it everywhere as one fall and bike could land-up at service center for weeks waiting for spares and not to forget a hefty bill at the end of it all.

I know folks having these middleweight bikes and share similar sentiments. We are talking about middleweight bikes like 790A but even they will be 8L+, 200kgs+, and would require guts to ride it care-free across varied terrains. While its good to talk, even if 790A was available in India, very few of us could actually afford it. So as long as spending power and space in the garage, its good to have multiple bikes for different purposes.

For most of us, that's not the scenario. Hence bikes like KTM 390 Adventure makes for a good 'jack of all' for city, country, good roads or bad roads. The bike has it all covered, be it affordability, power, weight, ease of maintenance, etc. From the specs and pictures, KTM 390 Adventure has enough to do 1000kms a day in relatively comfortable conditions, at a good pace, with decent tank range, suspension travel, GC, safety features, luggage options, protection from elements, etc., without costing an arm. The bike can do 90% of what a middle-weight or even a heavy-adventure bike can do, and some more which those biggies cant, like stop in its pants on a wet slippery slope and not slide down due to its weight.

What else can we ask for? Features like whether it has adjustable suspension or quick-shifter are secondary; we should be thankful that the bike is here for real. Just book it, get it, blip it and enjoy it. Hoping for a decent price launch and suited engine tune, I am definitely interested.

Last edited by navin : 12th December 2019 at 15:46. Reason: Cleaned up some of the typos
nasirkaka is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 14:28   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you ok to spend say 3.5 Lakhs OTR for this to replace the dominar which took you through K2K?
This is looking more like at 2.5 lakhs (with the exchange value of the Dominar), at this price point for me, the 390A is a no brainer. My use case being 500kms/day across varied road surfaces with reasonable comfort.

Even if without the exchange value for the dominar, at about 4 lakhs there arent many machines who will be able to provide the following important parameters for touring

1. 120 Kmph cruising ability while allowing for reasonable comfort (windscreen, aux power, hard luggage mounts), and soft roading capability
2. Vast service network
3. Cheap spares
4. 250 KM Tank range
5. Tubeless peace of mind

If money no bar i would have chosen a Africa Twin.

On a side note : We Indians label jacked up FWD hatch backs as SUVs so whats wrong in labeling a jacked up street naked with windscreen as ADV
adityasiera is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 14:42   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post

On a side note : We Indians label jacked up FWD hatch backs as SUVs so whats wrong in labeling a jacked up street naked with windscreen as ADV
You nailed it
Use case for every owner varies a lot based on requirement, budget, planned/desired use, brand value, location, influencer group (social pressure) and so on.
For few users like me Himalayan is still a good compromise between ride handling and power, especially at the price its being retailed at.....
Shubhendra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 15:21   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Well then i guess i think am on the wrong online forum but seriously that stock windscreen is anything but joke, with such a tall seating i doubt it would work. Good thing they seem to have a tall screen as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
For few users like me Himalayan is still a good compromise between ride handling and power, especially at the price its being retailed at.....
Yes and now you nailed it! It is a brilliant bike, can cruise all day at 100-110, is super comfy, can take shit load of lugguage, cheap to maintains, with workshop access across the country. Just a little bit of improvement on the braking front would have made it really juicy.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2019 at 15:23.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 15:26   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Well then i guess i think am on the wrong online forum but seriously that stock windscreen is anything but joke, with such a tall seating i doubt it would work. Good thing they seem to have a tall screen as an option.

Yes and now you nailed it! It is a brilliant bike, can cruise all day at 100-110, is super comfy, can take shit load of lugguage, cheap to maintains, with workshop access across the country. Just a little bit of improvement on the braking front would have made it really juicy.
I like a shorter windscreen. I think you will have to adjust whatever you get depending on the speeds you maintain and how tall you are, the kind of helmet you wear and how much ofrroad you do. I find a taller screen very distracting during technical offroad, i would rip it off if i cant see over it.

I like a bike that is lighter than a fully fueled himalayan, and has better street riding dynamics as well. And a juicy revvy motor is just brilliant on a low capacity bike.

Looks like we are at opposite ends of the spectrum and thats how most of the discussions seem to present things.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 16:21   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like we are at opposite ends of the spectrum and thats how most of the discussions seem to present things.
No! No!! You guys are looking for the same fish in the same pond, just a bit away from each-other. Himalayan could have been/is still a great multi-purpose bike in Indian context especially under lack of available choices. It still has a lot of potential if RE can tweak it a bit. The engine being a completely new design in 21st century had so much more scope. 410cc single is such a sweet-spot displacement for all the possibilities which it just felt a bit short. First RE engine to sport OHC and managing 25 odd bhps from a 410mill was a bit of disappointment, and a slight rough engine character did not help the cause either. Its not like the bike delivers long stroke bassy exhaust note associated with bullets, they could have gone a bit squarer on the piston. I dont really get the idea behind choosing LS (long stroke) 410cc mill. Its like RE was almost there with a sweet engine with decent power but somehow fell a bit short. Except that engine character and a bit of concerns on braking, maybe some load shedding and we would have had a terrific bike inplace of good bike.

390 Adventure seems to try and tackle those concerns and 'on paper' and offers much more. With lesser displacement, it generates almost double the power and similar torque figures at a difference of around 3k higher rpm which gets negated with rev-happy engine nature. Add things like light weight, trellis frame with strengthened sub frame, alloys for peace of mind, ABS with off-road mode, TC, RBW, and so many other features like USB, LED lights, bluetooth, and what not, makes this a no-brainier. Riding geometry, GC, suspension etc would be at par. Its actually very simple. If i was to think of 5 points where himalayan would fare better over 390 Adventure, i really cant think of. Its not like Himalayan is a bad product, its just that 390 Adventure seems to be better on almost all front, on paper, provided the cost difference is not too much. Lets see how it fares in real life.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2019 at 16:54. Reason: Avoid using Acronyms for models. It gets confusing for less aware users.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 18:11   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Just book it, get it, blip it and enjoy it.
Amen and hallelujah

No need to blip.. quick shifter and slipper clutch is standard my friend

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th December 2019 at 18:12.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 11:37   #355
Senior - BHPian

I think the KTM 390 adv is a decent package.

Ability to tackle bad roads/ off roading: Considering the roads we have in Bangalore, we do not need off road trails. The muddy city cross roads is giving serious competition to off road trails you can find in remote areas with each passing year. When ever I pass these sections on my regular commute, I wish for a bike with long travel suspension and ability to stand. Let us see how good the suspension is with 170 mm of travel. Considering that the usage of the bike would be mostly plain terrain, I would have preferred a heavier bike - especially for highway stability under cross winds. I am sure most of us would be mainly using the bike in regular bad roads and occasional off roading than on hilly terrains. A lighter bike makes sense for off roading especially if you travel solo, lifting a heaver bike in difficult/ hilly terrain when you are tired is not at all a pleasant experience. Hope the engine tuning gives good low end / mid range torque. Waiting eagerly for the test ride.

I think most of the target audience is going to use the bike mainly for touring with occasional mild off roading, so alloy wheels makes sense. Repairing a tubeless tire is much easier.

I was very much interested in the adjustable suspension. Hope KTM will tune the default suspension well and the adjustable suspension will be available as an option later. I can look at getting it later based on my actual usage.

ABS, traction control, quick shifter etc are welcome addition in this segment.

Seat height, ergonomics and comfort: I am 6' 2" tall and I always wish for a tall seat. The regular bikes, like Duke 390, are cramped for my proportions, especially with long legs. I think this a good choice for someone who cannot afford multiple bikes depending on usage - a jack of many trades. KTM Adv 390 seems to be giving a big bike feel with better ergonomics. Only a test ride will reveal how good it is. I liked Himalayan for the ride comfort and ergonomics. With shoulder pain, I need a straight posture which my current CBR 250 is lacking, though it gives better control.

Cheaper service/ spares: I was interested in Versys 650, but I do not want to live in fear of accidental repairs, spares and service cost. With KTM, I can test my limits and improve riding skills without worrying much about dropping the bike.

Adequate power: I found the Himalayan under powered for highway. The ability to cruise comfortably at 120 kmph is required.

Touring ready: After getting the bike, I do not have to worry about better lighting, luggage mounts, navigation mount, charging socket, handlebar raisers etc.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 13th December 2019 at 11:58.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 11:57   #356
BANNED

Would wait for first review over here, let's see how many really turns up and picks this bike. For sure I am not buying it
Old 13th December 2019, 12:03   #357
BHPian

Here is an early review of the prototype from cyclenews. I am sorry if it was posted earlier in the thread.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/11/ar...totype-review/

In Summary CN says:

Quote:
There’s heaps of luggage options for city or dual purpose use, while the crash bars fitted to my test bike are standard in India (same as the missing sari-guard!) but optional elsewhere, though the hand guards are standard everywhere. The very high spec for an entry level model also features LED lights front, rear and for all direction signals, with the headlight incorporated in KTM’s distinctive ‘mask’ styling for the bike’s front pod. This incorporates a two-position adjustable screen, though you need a screwdriver to vary it by 40mm either way. The 390 Adventure also comes equipped with an easily readable full colour five-inch TFT dash which automatically adapts to variations in light conditions. The menu switch on the left side of the taper-section aluminum handlebar lets you change ABS or TC settings and scroll through the screen info, while you can connect your smartphone to the bike via the optional KTM MY RIDE system, as well as select turn-to-turn navigation via the app. Nothing stays still, of course, but at present this makes the 390 Adventure likely to stand out as by some way the best equipped entry-level dual-purpose model from any manufacturer. CN
adityasiera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 12:05   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Would wait for first review over here, let's see how many really turns up and picks this bike. For sure I am not buying it

Hope we would be young enough to ride the bike when Bajaj brings it to the showroom. The launch has been going on forever. Chandrayaan launch would be faster.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 12:20   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Let us see how good the suspension is with 170 mm of travel. .
Do you know how much the front suspension travel on the versys 650 is? 150mm. Same with the vstrom. Will you even be asking such a question on these bikes? And they are far heavier.

And i have done a crazy shit load of offroad travel on that bike and it has never bottomed out.

This bike is equipped just right. Get the adjustable suspension as a power part.

Almost everyone here seems to be chris birch personified

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th December 2019 at 12:21.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 12:41   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Do you know how much the front suspension travel on the versys 650 is? 150mm. Same with the vstrom. Will you even be asking such a question on these bikes? And they are far heavier.

And i have done a crazy shit load of offroad travel on that bike and it has never bottomed out.

This bike is equipped just right. Get the adjustable suspension as a power part.

Almost everyone here seems to be chris birch personified
I was just comparing it to Himalayan with 200 mm suspension. My cbr 250 has 130 mm suspension and there is a world of difference between them.
I do not have experience riding mid level bikes, just a regular joe in the lower segment.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks