Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 19:09   #241
BHPian

re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
At 855 MM it,s a tough call for people like me who are trying hard to get back to riding having earned enough to afford one.
Do take a test ride before you decide on the seat height comfort. Raw numbers don't take into picture the width of the base of the seat and the gap between the inseams all the way to the pegs. For example, a really tall enduro with narrow body and seat can still have you putting your foot down. I can personally put both my feet down on a Scrambler 1200 but not on a Versys 650 although both have the same seat height for example.
niranjanrvce is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 23:07   #242
BHPian

The tyres look decent. Do you guys think we will get the same tyres as shown in EICMA?
Old 8th November 2019, 00:46   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
The tyres look decent. Do you guys think we will get the same tyres as shown in EICMA?
Conti TKC 70's are well established in the market - no reason why we wont get them.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:22   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Conti TKC 70's are well established in the market - no reason why we wont get them.
Thanks Mihir, I am like some, if not many people on the thread who owns a 390 and a bigger capacity motorcycle, I am truly thrilled with the 390 adv, contrary to what the popular opinion is, I think KTM has nailed the segment (but ofcourse the undisclosed price), it is perfect. I am happy I get a tubeless to repair than a tube (well if I have to), I am no CS Santhosh, neither I can be, next time I see post monsoon gravel and potholes, I am hoping not to pray with my metz, I would rather be on the conti.

Last edited by Surajit333 : 8th November 2019 at 01:23.
Old 8th November 2019, 19:28   #245
BHPian

This video should answer a lot of questions. He even says that the engine was remapped, but then says that the power delivery is the same as the Duke 390. He says that it's not really a beginner bike, but a bike for everyone. Also for the ones complaining about lack of spoked wheels, they say that it'll be available as a Powerparts accessory right from launch. Hoping that it's the same for our shores as well.

Spoiler alert, the KTM guy is very optimistic about the 390 Adventure, and says that he'll be riding it on the KTM Adventure Rally in Greece next year.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 22:41   #246
Team-BHP Support

The introductory video -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:17   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

The launch video of the KTM 390 does provide a pretty good idea about how KTM is positioning this adventure motorcycle. Besides hooning around for quite some time, the bike

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-1.png

manages to take some slightly broken roads easily

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-2.png

and attempts some jumps

But what I find most interesting is that the advertisement smartly cuts away exactly at that point so technically KTM isnt really promoting the fact that the bike can do such offroad jumps. It is pretty sneaky / smart because it is the ultimate tease when you think about it. Tomorrow if you try the same thing on your Adventure 390 and damage the bike's alloys, KTM will say that the bike was never designed for it and they havent technically advertised it either.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:56   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly broken? Man, that guy has done more off-road than any of us would do in a lifetime!

The KTM reps at EICMA we’re very clear this bike is not meant for enduro riding. They made it certain that this is a tour-enduro bike.

Anyway, the spoke wheels will be here as a power parts option, so peeps who feel they want it, can get it.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th November 2019 at 19:58.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 22:47   #249
BHPian

I feel KTM has lived up to the hype. Spoke wheels were never gonna make it to the production model which long term followers were already aware. And honestly, the bike even in this spec is never gonna survive extended sessions in hardcore terrain with an average rider on the saddle. For the usual jungle trails and the annual Himalayan streams, these alloy wheels would be more than sufficient. Many have been doing all of that on the 390 Duke pretty regularly without any problems anyway.

What this adds to the Duke platform is long term comfort. Extended times on the saddle were a test on the Duke, anyone over 5'5" is sore after a 300km day(37.5kmph avg speed), however, with the engine and rest of the mechanicals, maintaining speeds to cross 400kms a day isn't unsafe at all(~50kmph avg speed).

The suspension and altered riding geometry will help that immensely, to extract the most out of the engine while touring. And while these changes aren't made to get the bike as fast as possible on the dirt, these changes definitely hit the nail on its head for a tourer.
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 00:50   #250
Senior - BHPian

For an adventure bike, I was hoping a more forward set footrest than usual Dukes, but it appears that the footrests are still rear set only. Bike looks amazing, hope it will live up to its hype.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:11   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
What this adds to the Duke platform is long term comfort. Extended times on the saddle were a test on the Duke, anyone over 5'5" is sore after a 300km day(37.5kmph avg speed), however, with the engine and rest of the mechanicals, maintaining speeds to cross 400kms a day isn't unsafe at all(~50kmph avg speed).

The suspension and altered riding geometry will help that immensely, to extract the most out of the engine while touring. And while these changes aren't made to get the bike as fast as possible on the dirt, these changes definitely hit the nail on its head for a tourer.
With the suspension and altered riding geometry, this bike seems very good for touring. The tall seat height is perfect for me (I am 6' 2" tall).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For an adventure bike, I was hoping a more forward set footrest than usual Dukes, but it appears that the footrests are still rear set only. Bike looks amazing, hope it will live up to its hype.

I hope that it is not as rear set as Duke 390. I rode himalayan extensively in himalayas for two weeks. Though the forward foot pegs help to sit very comfortably over long rides, it takes effort to move and standup regularly while encountering bad roads. Setting up the foot pegs slightly more backward will make it easier to put pressure on the foot peg and standup easily while encountering bad roads.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 11th November 2019 at 12:13.
PatienceWins is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:47   #252
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! So many pages of discussion over the weekend and we are talking about tepid interest??
So finally KTM 390 Adventure is out and is for real. The bike i was waiting for eternity, and eventually gaveup waiting, tempted by the 310GS. The 390 adventure is been in the making for sooooo long, and after so many test mule spy shots, speculations, discussions, etc there is nothing much left if the bike for imagination. We already 'sort of' know what the 390 adv is eventually going to be like and it was more or less there. Hence the feeling of lack of excitement/euphoria. We are so used to surprises by KTM in the past, be it price, specs, technology, the surprise element was missing this time.

coming back to the bike, 390 adventure is what i wanted to convert my first gen 390 duke into. Did attempt some mods with tall windscreen, custom seat, raised bars, aux lights, luggage frame etc, but without good suspension and upright ergonomics, its not really enough.

Now that 390 Adv is out, i have a mixed feeling with the information available so far.

* Aesthetics: Looks being subjective, the bike looks true to its lineage, just like a baby 790. most will like it, some may find it a bit flashy, buts that KTM for you. Personally, i still think the 310GS looks better.
* Seat height: 855mm is just too much. 310gs is 835mm with narrow seat and soft suspension, and i was finding it too tall for comfort over some slush riding a few weeks back. AM sure KTM will have a lower seat options for asian market, maybe 20mm, but will that be enough? Lets ride it and take a call.

* Engine: This is one area i am bit dissapointed. I prefer bikes where i dont have to constantly work through the gears, precisely why i did not like my duke 390 gearing. Also the massive engine breaking in 1st and 2nd gear in city meant too much rocking back and forth. Was expecting KTM to tune the engine a bt more suited for adv touring. Read here that sprocketing is different on 390 adv. Is it confirmed?

* Exhaust note: I never like the hollowy/tinny exhaust note of the duke 390. With a totally new exhaust on 390 adv, and bs6 complaint, i am hoping the exhaust note is more pleasing.

* Alloy: I feel spokes are over-rated as we dont really do technical terrians everyday. But the alloys on the 390 adv looks very slim, esp from the side profile. Am sure KTM would have done enough testing for strengths, but visually it appears delicate.

* Equipment: 390 adv is laden with all the possible technology, anymore and it would eat into 790 adv shares globally. Very happy with the tech specs.

I am definitely interested in getting one, but am not going to book on the first day launch like i did with 390 duke. Will wait for the bike to launch here, see how it rides and take a call. Good show KTM, better late then never.
nasirkaka is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 13:40   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

A poignant open letter penned by an RTW rider who I followed diligently over on ADVrider.

Quote:

With the recent announcement of the KTM 1290 “Adventure” I can not sit quietly anymore and watch the “Adventure” bike grow to obese proportions. I must speak up. Adventure is a word thrown around so freely in the motorcycle industry now, I am not sure you remember what a true adventure actually is.
Quote:
Who am I? I’m a guy who has spent the last two and a half years riding a KTM 690 around the world. it has taken me to hell and back. After 120,000km and 42 countries, she is still going strong. My bike and all my camping gear is about 210 kilo. If you can not pick up your bike fully loaded in any situation, it is not an adventure bike.
Quote:
Now I see the adventure bike market treading into Harley Davidson territory, which is to say selling and idea or image rather then a capable bike.
Quote:

The list of 1-liter behemoths is so long I can not keep up. They sell the image of adventure, but when you try to go off the pavement, you quickly find out the bike was not designed for it.

Quote:
So you search for a smaller bike only to find there is a huge gap in the market that no manufacturer seems to want to cash in on.
Quote:
What gives?
Quote:
The formula for a proper adventure bike is easy: less then 150 kilos, good tune-able off-road suspension, around 50 hp, fuel injected, liquid cooled, and at least a 7500 km oil change interval. A 500 km fuel range would be icing on the cake.
Quote:
I challenge the manufacturers to build the adventure bike I described above and I will be the first person in line with a fist full of dollars.
KTM 390 Adventure: Challenge accepted.

Full transcript here: https://expeditionportal.com/an-open...ycle-industry/

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th November 2019 at 13:42.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 13:48   #254
BHPian

For me the launch comes one year too late. If they had launched it before RE Twins I would probably have bought the Adv 390. Now I own an Interceptor 650 but still the Adv 390 interests me. I kind of have mixed feelings for both the bikes. Interceptor's pillion comfort is a nightmare not just for the pillion but for the rider too. Adv 390 looks to be better in that aspect but got to try it out first hand. On the other hand after getting used to torquey 650 engine the high revving 390 doesn't appeal much. But then good touring oriented ergonomics, phone mount and charger as a standard attract me. From another point of view, I loved the Himalayan but didn't buy it because of lack of power on highway for two-up riding. Adv 390 should be better than the Himalayan. But a Himalayan 650 would be nicer? Well that would drag me to another vicious circle of waiting

So I'm going to wait for may be year and keep checking for feedback on Adv 390. When it's available at rentals I'll rent it out for couple of days to understand how it compares against my Int 650 in different aspects in real life, not just on paper. Although 650 twin to single cylinder 390 sounds like a downgrade what matters most is which bike inspires you to hop on and keep riding!
Old 11th November 2019, 14:18   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although 650 twin to single cylinder 390 sounds like a downgrade what matters most is which bike inspires you to hop on and keep riding!
Precisely! I have an interceptor 650 and a g310GS parked side by side in my garage and its a good dilemma every morning as to which bike. Its the baby gs which wins most of the days, lovely bike, keeps inspiring to ride even after 1year and 22k kms of riding. This is the pure versatility of a light weight, comfortalbe, 'take it anywhere' adventure bike. The interceptor is barely done 3k kms in last 6 months of ownership. Himalayan 650, if its a reality someday, will be too heavy i am afraid.

And there is where the KTM 390 Adventure fits in perfectly. Just ride without any worries. When i had the versys 650, i was scared to go off the road as the bike was too heavy and big and falling meant breaking parts which were very expensive to replace. With the 310Gs, i do dare to try a bit of offroad, main factors being light weight, and not so heavy repairs. With KTM 390, we can keep all the worries behind, and ride on and off road without a care. It will be reasonably priced to own, economic to service, cost effective spares, plenty of service points, etc. Can throw the bike around, try those jumps/trails/offroading which we dare not with other heavy and expensive adventure bikes. All this with seemingly good seating and standing posture and comfortable suspension. Like they say in that FOG add: "Aur kya chhaiye"

BTW, is there a provision for oem center-stand?
nasirkaka is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks