Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 11:14   #226
BHPian

re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Sorry cant Agree.

The BMW GS's have lots of presence and character. So does the Ducati Multistradas and Triumph Tigers. The styling of these models are purposeful as well as eye catching.

Like I have said previously they (the above mentioned models) look like STALLIONS. Heck even the "Baby" G310 GS looks like a Healthy COLT.
Let's agree to disagree shall we? Imo none of the bikes you mentioned look like "STALLIONS"

The GS looks like a bloated cow, the multi looks like a hippo with flared nostrils and the tiger looks like daffy duck with huge glasses.

But if looks were a criteria none of this category of bikes would ever sell. I think the KTM looks as purposeful as these other bikes and equally ugly.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 12:28   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
This thread is an accurate reflection of the lukewarm response I am seeing from many of my co-riders

For reference, check out the thread on Duke 390s launch (1st gen). People went berserk!

This time round... the silence is deafening

Also heard there's no "R" version in the works. This one is off my list

I am off to add the front end of the Xpulse on my duke with a custom rear shock. Thanks KTM
I think this can be owed to how similar the 390 Adv is to the existing Duke. No change in torque / HP figures, it's basically the same engine. The Duke is already very super-moto-ish naked (check its heritage, the original Duke was basically a cross between a supermoto and a naked).

Put another way: I own a 2015 Duke 390. While I really want something to go on long mostly-highway rides, it would be nice to have something that can handle the inevitable odd rough road and bumps. Which the Duke, being a pure roadster, doesn't do well with its very firm suspension.

But now that the Adventure is finally here, I find myself checking it out, then looking over at my Dook parked downstairs, and I'm like... am I basically buying another Duke with a few off-roading mods? Same engine, same power figures, except it's much taller and a tad heavier than the Duke. Options like saddlebags and such can also be retro-fitted to my Duke if I really want them.

So how different will the Adventure be from what I already have? Bearing in mind, I'm not interested in off-roading or hitting trails.

I'm going back-and-forth between getting excited and thinking "finally, a bike that's basically just like my Duke except fitted out for rough roads and long trips." But then I think, "wait, so it's very much like the Duke I already have, is there really a point in swapping it for the Adventure?"

Not to mention, if I buy an Adventure and am disappointed with it, my wife will need a lawyer for either divorce proceedings and/or facing murder charges
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 12:50   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I think this is exactly what Neil had mentioned -

If you are buying a P rated tire - stick to 150kmph top speed limit. Tyre speed ratings are very important - a tyre failure at 150kmph on a motorcycle will result in death 99.99% of the time. So either pony up for a tyre which better suits the power and capability of your bike or make sure you are sticking to the speed limit.

PS: What about retreaded tires ? Do they also work like on commuter bikes if we drive carefully ?
Yes, have asked the mods to edit it out. Uncalled for, and unnecessary.

Re: tyres. Yes, you have to stick to the prescribed speed limits. Those P rated tyres etc are meant for dual sport low capacity bikes, like for instance a CRF 250, or a 390 adventure, or a BMW GS 310 etc. None of these bikes are meant for fast cross country touring, but are more travel enduro in nature. Hence a P rated tyre is perfectly acceptable for cruising speeds of around 110-120 on the highway. Even the braking hardware on these bikes are budget stuff, its not something you want to depend on braking to a halt from well over the speed limits. I ride a close friend's duke 390, and there is no way I will do the speeds I used to on the Versys. The Versys braking hardware is just lightyears ahead.

Ponying up for the tyre to suit your riding style is where it's at.

I don't think I want to open the can of worms that's a retreaded tyre. Maybe its okay if you're running a Dunzo or Swiggy logistics delivery business in the city, or you're spending on a local farmhand's bike. Not otherwise.
Old 7th November 2019, 13:38   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Let's agree to disagree shall we? Imo none of the bikes you mentioned look like "STALLIONS"

The GS looks like a bloated cow, the multi looks like a hippo with flared nostrils and the tiger looks like daffy duck with huge glasses.

They sell well don't they?
Old 7th November 2019, 13:52   #230
Senior - BHPian

I think it is a good package for touring and occasional offroading/ leh trips. Considering the condition of bangalore roads, I think the offroading capability would be put to use on a regular basis.

As the engine remains the same as Duke 390, I need to take a test ride to see if it suits the need of power being available at the low end. The high rpm behaviour of the current Duke would be a strain while touring. The low end torque is not suitable for city usage as well, as per my short test ride.

I hope KTM will price it sensibly - more chance considering that that this would be more mass market than Duke 790, which came through the CKD route.

I am 6' 2" tall and the seat height seems perfect for me. I am happy that there are bikes coming which caters to tall riders, who otherwise have ergonomic issues and look strange on the usual bikes.

Eagerly waiting for the pricing and test ride.

I rented a himalayan during the recent leh trip. Though I liked the offroading capability, the lack of power at high speeds and regular issues (in the six bikes we rented) are negatives. I would not go near BMW bikes based on a few horror stories on internet. So this seems to be the best option unless Xpulse comes with a 300 cc engine soon.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th November 2019 at 14:02.
Old 7th November 2019, 14:28   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am most interested in the Continental tires that the bike is shod with. I havent seen Continental two wheeler tires in the market and I wonder how owners will cope when they need to replace their bike's tires a year or two down the line.
250 Adventure showcased in Indonesia comes with MRF Mogrip Meteor-FM2 tyres.

One more localized option for the 390 Adventure owners.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:51   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
They sell well don't they?

I did state that they sell , but not based on their looks. Do they "sell well" ? Nope, this is still a niche category in India.

People buy them to travel, unimpeded. Not to sit and gawk at them.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 15:09   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did state that they sell , but not based on their looks. Do they "sell well" ? Nope, this is still a niche category in India.

All 3 bikes being mentioned here are amongst the top sellers in their respective manufacturer's portfolio in India. So i dont know whether they "Dont" sell well. Fact remains that these big daddy ADVs are the best suited big bikes for India.

Looks - well as they beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder :-)
Old 7th November 2019, 16:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Obviosly not in the same level with the Splendors/Activas.. but they do sell (Have seem more GS than any other BMW Motorrads in India).

And I would be very curious if they would sell if nobody "GAWKS" at these behemoths.. that too after spending around 15 Lakhs Plus on them.

Last edited by payeng : 7th November 2019 at 16:27.
Old 7th November 2019, 17:18   #235
BHPian

The KTM UK website mentions that there is an option for a higher or lower seat.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-ktm.jpg  

bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 18:42   #236
BANNED

A rant of a common mango man

Don't OEMs like Kawasaki or KTM do a height survey in a country before launching these bikes. Average height of an Indian male as per wiki is 5 ft 5 1⁄2 inches. That itself limits the market a lot for the average Joe.

At 855 MM it' s a tough call for people like me who are trying hard to get back to riding having earned enough to afford one.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2019 at 10:09. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
.sushilkumar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th November 2019, 18:50   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
A rant of a common mango men

Don't the OEM like kawa or KTM do a height survey in a country before launching these bikes. Avergae height of a indian male as per wiki is 5 ft 5 1⁄2 inches. that itself limits the market a lot for average joe.

At 855 MM it,s a tough call for people like me who are trying hard to get back to riding having earned enough to afford one.
Indian market is too small to customize seat heights - plus you always have the balance between GC/Suspension travel & seat height.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 18:56   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Indian market is too small to customize seat heights - plus you always have the balance between GC/Suspension travel & seat height.
Agree that customizing seat height is a challenge but atleast they can offer it keeping average joe in mind. By having a favorable seat height to start with, I am sure they will have better sales that way. If they are targetting 6 footers from day 1, naturally sales will be affected.

They need to appeal to wider audience if they want to sell else their complaints of limited numbers is not justified IMO.
Old 7th November 2019, 18:57   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interestingly, RE Himalayan was able to manage 220mm GC (+20mm more than 390/250 Adventure), 200 mm and 180 mm of front and real wheel travel (+30mm, +3mm) and have a seat height of a good 800mm (-55mm).

Now if only RE could manage the weight and tune the engine better. But it does come at half the price.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:03   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Agree that customizing seat height is a challenge but atleast they can offer it keeping average joe in mind. By having a favorable seat height to start with, I am sure they will have better sales that way. If they are targetting 6 footers from day 1, naturally sales will be affected.

They need to appeal to wider audience if they want to sell else their complaints of limited numbers is not justified IMO.
Again - the average joe in west (primary market for this motorcycle) is around 5'11-6'0 and this seat height is ok for them. If they reduce seat height for India - it might lead to some compromises in design/features without adequate volumes to justify. Just look at volumes which normal 390 does

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interestingly, RE Himalayan was able to manage 220mm GC (+20mm more than 390/250 Adventure), 200 mm and 180 mm of front and real wheel travel (+30mm, +3mm) and have a seat height of a good 800mm (-55mm).

Now if only RE could manage the weight and tune the engine better. But it does come at half the price.
Because Himalayan's primary market is India/S Asia and they knew the seat height they had to hit. Did it lead to other compromises ? Maybe yes
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks