Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 16:39   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Eliminating Motorcycle Battery & Adding a Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Your current draw is similar to mine on the CT100B, so you'd be fine with a single capacitor setup like me. Though you'd have to bump up your idle like I did at least till the headlights stop flickering, plus it would also ensure that the engine doesn't stall when waiting in traffic, trust me its a pain to kick start a scooter on the go, especially with angry traffic behind you.
Thanks for the quick reply! Will get it done by this weekend.
Yes, traffic is a big bummer, especially in Bangalore. So i use the interior roads for short rides only
Old 18th June 2018, 15:30   #17
BHPian

Wonderful thread. My karizma is full DC so I plan to do this when the battery finally gives up. I have a few questions before that

1. Will the electric start work?
2. If there's a threshold to how many capacitors I need, how do I calculate it?

For reference, I have a 60/55w halogen bulb, stock horn, stock indicator bulbs and stock pilot lamps. I can switch the stock indicator bulbs and pilot lamps to led if someone can tell me the connector type. Too much of effort to open up the front indicator bulbs to check the type.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
1. Will the electric start work?
2. If there's a threshold to how many capacitors I need, how do I calculate it?
For reference, I have a 60/55w halogen bulb, stock horn, stock indicator bulbs and stock pilot lamps. ... and pilot lamps to led if someone can tell me the connector type.
No a capacitor cannot store electricity for a longer period so I will not do electric start even if you have a pack of them unless you specifically have "Super Capacitors" which can hold the charge for about a day or two max.

Judging by Ashwin's success it seems you will not need much capacitor's just start with one and follow his DIY for a stable idling.

It's easy just go to a mechanic and ask for the bulb types.
saargoga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saargoga View Post
No a capacitor cannot store electricity for a longer period so I will not do electric start even if you have a pack of them unless you specifically have "Super Capacitors" which can hold the charge for about a day or two max.

Judging by Ashwin's success it seems you will not need much capacitor's just start with one and follow his DIY for a stable idling.

It's easy just go to a mechanic and ask for the bulb types.
Ah, if the electric start doesn't work, this will be a non starter for my zma. But will definitely consider this for a cafe racer build I'm planning. Thanks to the OP for inspiration.
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:15   #20
BHPian

I thought bikes always had a capacitor irrespective of battery being present or not. We had mini bullet in 1986 and still remember a Lucas make large capacitor under the seat next to battery. I could kick start the bike even if the battery was not there. I just needed to turn the bottom key anti-clockwise instead of clockwise.

The old Rajdoot till 1980 never had a battery and so was case for all the scooters. Not sure if they had any capacitor except that had something similar to dynamo attached to the kick shaft.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 23:14   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I thought bikes always had a capacitor irrespective of battery being present or not. We had mini bullet in 1986 and still remember a Lucas make large capacitor under the seat next to battery. I could kick start the bike even if the battery was not there. I just needed to turn the bottom key anti-clockwise instead of clockwise.

The old Rajdoot till 1980 never had a battery and so was case for all the scooters. Not sure if they had any capacitor except that had something similar to dynamo attached to the kick shaft.
Guess the manufacturing philosophy has changed considerably, another reason to go for a classic motorcycle as for obvious reasons the lean production principle isn't adventure friendly, and if not for adventure then why risk riding a motorcycle in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Ah, if the electric start doesn't work, this will be a non starter for my zma. But will definitely consider this for a cafe racer build I'm planning. Thanks to the OP for inspiration.
Ex-ZMA owner myself, irrespective of the starter, parallel connect a Capacitor just for the heck of it, cause the ZMA runs off a DC CDI and they are a pain to start and run with an underperforming battery.

This mod is not only for those interested in running without a battery but for anyone who rides a motorcycle for obvious reasons, in DC powered motorcycles nothing works with a dead battery and on an AC powered motorcycle the electrical's don't work without a battery so if not eliminating then at least wire one up parallel to be on the safer side so in the event of an unexpected failure you wont end up stranded.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 00:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The only reason why my P220 comes with a 9ah battery is to power the starter as the motorcycle lacks a decompressor. Coming to think of it, its funny to see a Royal Enfield sport an auto-decompressor whereas the so called modern Bajaj doesn't.
Really? The older P150/180 DTSI's certainly had decompressors - built into the camshaft, spring-loaded centrifugal type...
Old 29th June 2018, 19:04   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Really? The older P150/180 DTSI's certainly had decompressors - built into the camshaft, spring-loaded centrifugal type...
Yes the older Pulsar's with a kick-starter came with an auto-decompressor on the cam, once they scrapped the kick starter they also dropped the auto-decompressor.

God knows why though, cost cutting or keeping things simple, either way it sure does work, though it is a royal pain to push start the motorcycle in the event that the battery dies.
Old 30th June 2018, 00:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think I should mention something about using this idea of replacing the battery with a capacitor.

If your motorcycle or scooter has fuel injection you can pretty much forget the idea.

Fuel injected fuel systems need to have something that can store enough electricity to run the fuel pump before the engine is started.

This is needed to provide pressure so the fuel injector can spray the fuel into the incoming air for the cylinder(s).
Even a large regular capacitor will not store enough power to run the pump long enough to build up the needed pressure.

I suppose if a person was a professional football player he might have the leg strength to kick over the engine fast enough and enough times for the alternator to make enough electricity to power the fuel pump but for the rest of us we would be out of luck.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks