Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2019, 09:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric Motorcycles: How would they change our riding experience?

Mods, Please move this post to relevant thread.

I am thinking if buying a Electric Scooter 'today' (in current scenario) is a good option. I am looking to buy one for my wife who used to ride Scooty Pep for last 3-4 years.
The Pep has broken down and is 15 years old. So I don't want to renew the Registration of Pep but considering Eco-friendly options.

I have searched on Google and found some E-Scooters from Hero stable. All of them are having 250W motor and range of 50-60kms. I don't have problem with range but with the Motor.

I have learnt that mostly 250W motor not suitable for two riders. It struggles to carry two people on an incline and the seat is also not long.

Are there any other options (E-Scooter) currently in the market which are reliable, Seat two in comfort and can ferry them without breaking a sweat. Also Stylish if possible.

I have not set a Budget. May be Rs. 40000-45000/- (Range of Scooty Pep).

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 9th April 2019 at 10:00.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:45   #17
BHPian

Electrification of mobility until now was mostly a solo effort by isolated companies who have been pushing the technology forward in their own individual ways. Consequently, we have seen a substantial number of companies crop up, each claiming to produce the best electric motorcycle. Some companies have successfully partnered up such as Hero/Ather, but none have been as significant as the one announced recently.

The Japanese “Big Four” of Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have agreed to work towards formulate a unified standard for battery technology, charging stations and everything else for electric motorcycles!

An indication of what the Big Four are planning comes from this Kawasaki patent. It shows how Kawasaki have managed to fit a detachable frame on what looks like a Ninja 300 (the article incorrectly says it’s a N400, although the N400’s lighter frame would be an advantage, no?)

Essentially, this patent seems to describe how the potential electric bike, has a standard tubular frame with the difference being that the left portion of the frame has a set of hinges, allowing a section to pivot and open up, giving one free access to the batteries. The bike would be equipped with a lithium-ion power source, with a primary battery that will have the ability to be swapped for a fully charged unit, once its charge is depleted and a secondary battery that can be charged while on the go.

A platform with “forks” that allows for convenient removal of the battery pack is also described. Owing to the detachable portion of the frame, the platform can simply be rolled over to the side of the bike to mount/dismount the battery block!

So, basically the Japanese Big Four will be combining their efforts to develop and standardize battery swapping technology and the associated charging networks. Battery swapping could potentially be the decisive solution to “electrify” our motorcycles. It could be as convenient as visiting a petrol pump, to switch your discharged battery for a fully charged one and be on your way in a matter of minutes!

However, this is not an original idea. The first company to announce an ambitious battery swapping technology was Taiwan’s Gogro in 2015, followed by a more well-known Taiwanese company KYMCO, with their Ionex electric scooters and battery technology. Although, KYMCO with global presence, issued an open invitation to all manufacturers to design Ionex-compatible batteries, they were spectacularly unsuccessful to get any traction.

The definitive target of the Japanese Big Four becomes evidently clear then, it’s to win the race to set the global standards for electric motorcycles and four of the world’s biggest manufacturers working together is a major force to be reckoned with. It’s one thing to go against Gogro or even KYMCO, but who would dare compete with the collective financial resources, engineering prowess and the sterling reputation enjoyed by Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki? For most smaller manufacturers, designing or even using compatible technology would be the most logical ideas, as it would allow them to take advantage of the Big Four’s huge network. It would inevitably lead to standardisation of electric motorcycle technology and thereby convenience to end users like you and me!

Although, the specifics of the partnership haven’t been made public, it is unambiguously clear that the Japanese have displayed strong intent to work on mass produced electric two wheelers. This hopefully, will be a game changing decision to make electric motorcycles affordable and eventually replace the petrol-powered ones.

I sure am “electrified”!
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:32   #18
BHPian

Curtiss Motorcycles, formerly Confederate Motorcycles have come up with a concept electric bike known as the Hades. It produces a massive 217hp with its electric motor with 200 Nm of torque available, right from the get go. That’s more than double the power of the Harley-Davidson Livewire! The price too is more than double of the Livewire, setting you back by $75000! The Hades is designed by the same guy ; JT Nesbitt who is responsible for the breath-takingly beautiful Confederate Wraith & Hellcat (even MS Dhoni has one!)

Source

Mr. Nesbitt calls the Hades, “the ultimate expression of two-wheeled minimalism."

I’m not sure I agree though, maybe I do not have the ability to appreciate design language but the Hades looks like this:

Electric Motorcycles: How would they change our riding experience?-download2.jpg

Electric Motorcycles: How would they change our riding experience?-download1.jpg
Gives a whole new level to the term "Crotch Rocket, doesn't it?

That's not all though, the brake lights seem to be built right under the seat, especially where the rider would place his derričre. The rider would always seem to have the glowing red butt-cheeks of a baboon!!

Electric Motorcycles: How would they change our riding experience?-download.jpg

The ultimate compensator anyone?
Shumi_21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

It's raining Athers in Bengaluru. I counted at least ten last evening alone. Points to the first mover advantage. Indians are early adopters and give new technology a chance, but if does not live up it is doomed forever. So I'm guessing the first batch of Athers are performing well, in real life scenarios and so the company is inundated by demand. My neighbour was saying that there is a long wait for Ather. So looks like a success. Any figures available to how many units were sold since inception?
Old 18th January 2021, 09:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Got to give them credit for what they've achieved here.

Motorcycles Taxi riders in the City of Kigali (Capital of Rwanda) now have the option of going all electric. Looks like a good "jugaad" system of a battery in a big box, sitting in place of the engine that just slides into the chassis, which also enables them to swap it out in a matter of minutes at any of the 3 battery swap points in the city.

https://www.ampersand.solar/

sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 08:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Mods, Please move this post to relevant thread.

I am thinking if buying a Electric Scooter 'today' (in current scenario) is a good option. I am looking to buy one for my wife who used to ride Scooty Pep for last 3-4 years.
The Pep has broken down and is 15 years old. So I don't want to renew the Registration of Pep but considering Eco-friendly options.

I have searched on Google and found some E-Scooters from Hero stable. All of them are having 250W motor and range of 50-60kms. I don't have problem with range but with the Motor.

I have learnt that mostly 250W motor not suitable for two riders. It struggles to carry two people on an incline and the seat is also not long.

Are there any other options (E-Scooter) currently in the market which are reliable, Seat two in comfort and can ferry them without breaking a sweat. Also Stylish if possible.

I have not set a Budget. May be Rs. 40000-45000/- (Range of Scooty Pep).
Requoting myself.

The decision of buying a 2-Wheeler for my wife is still pending.

Requirements are-
1. Should be light in weight.
2. Running would be low. Maximum 20kms in City. That too not daily. Twice in a week for ferrying my 10 years old daughter to her dance class. Also May be some nearby shopping errands.

With above requirements, is it recommended to go for New Petrol 2-Wheeler or Electric 2-Wheeler?

I live in a city where big Electric Vehicle Players are yet to arrive. (Exception- TVS and Bajaj Showroom is present but with Petrol-Only Models)
Old 27th June 2021, 08:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I live in a city where big Electric Vehicle Players are yet to arrive. (Exception- TVS and Bajaj Showroom is present but with Petrol-Only Models)
Guess the future is electric and it just make sense to go with the powerful electric scooter. The only issue is that it might not be in your budget, regarding the lack of service options should not be a deal breaker as electric scooters do not require the huge maintenance of traditional engine. Brakes and battery health are what are usually checked.

Assuming the petrol average of 50 kmpl works out to ₹2 per km, electric scooters are going to cost a fraction of this.

Imho it does not make sense to have a petrol scooter for our short neighborhood market runs.
Old 27th June 2021, 20:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

How would the battery perform with respect to the running of vehicle?
Means what are the effects of usage pattern on the battery of electric vehicle?

Could the local TVS or Bajaj Dealer help me getting the iQube or Chetak in Solapur if I want one?

I was looking for light vehicle so as to aid my wife in maneuvering it even in heavy traffic. She feels that even the earlier TVS Scooty Pep 75cc (bought in July 2003 for my sister) was somewhat heavy.

If the Electric vehicles are not available in light weight package (and also bearable looks) may be we will have to go for Scooty Pep again.

As I already mentioned, I am unable to check iQube and Chetak at my local dealers due to Petrol only models available at them.

Most Viewed