Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda X-ADV adventure scooter patented in India

According to a media report, Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India (HMSI) has filed a patent for the Honda X-ADV adventure scooter in India. The X-ADV is a cross between an adventure bike and a maxi-scooter and it seems Honda might be planning to launch it in the Indian market, although there has been no official word confirming the same. Also, there has been no indication that the patent has been granted yet.

Honda X-ADV adventure scooter patented in India-hondaxadvindiapatentimage.jpg

The Honda X-ADV is based on a steel diamond type frame. It measures 2,245 mm in overall length, 910 mm in width and 1,375 mm in height. Its wheelbase is 1,590 mm and the seat height is 820 mm. The kerb weight of the X-ADV is 238 kg and it comes with 13.1-litre fuel tank.

The moto-scooter has a large front cowl with twin LED headlights and an adjustable windscreen. The dash comprises of a digital instrument cluster. It comes with a single-piece seat with under seat storage and a split rear grab rail. The X-ADV rides on 17-inch and 15-inch spoke wheels in the front and rear respectively with upside-down telescopic forks in the front and a monoshock rear suspension. The exhaust muffler gets a silver heat shield and is positioned at a steep angle with respect to the ground.

Honda X-ADV adventure scooter patented in India-hondaxadv1.jpg

The X-ADV is powered by a 745 cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-twin cylinder engine that produces 54 BHP @ 6,250 rpm and peak torque of 68 Nm @ 4,750 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. Brakes come in the form of twin 296 mm discs in the front and a single 240 mm disc in the rear. It has dual-channel ABS.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda X-ADV adventure scooter patented in India

Wow! Now this is totally unexpected. Hope it gets launched soon.

This scooter has really been earning some good reviews abroad, being a good mix of a scooter with their adventure tourer - the Africa Twin. Main challenge would be the price though - going by the UK prices - this should be priced close to around 10L ex-showroom.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in a scooter for that price, even if its this capable.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 16:06   #3
BHPian

When Honda was organizing test rides for the Africa Twin, some people jokingly called it a liter class Activa due to its auto gearbox. Looks like Honda took the joke seriously!

Why is this exactly a scooter and not a motorcycle? I thought that a 2 wheeler is called a scooter if it comes with a CVT gearbox (barring the old scooters that had manual gearbox). Are looks the only differentiating factor between a scooter and motorcycle?
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 16:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Why is this exactly a scooter and not a motorcycle? I thought that a 2 wheeler is called a scooter if it comes with a CVT gearbox (barring the old scooters that had manual gearbox). Are looks the only differentiating factor between a scooter and motorcycle?
Even otherwise, what's with this design ? It's like a motorcycle with the tank moved from it's traditional position and a gap in the spot. What does one use that space for ? keeping small things ? A scooter was far better in that way. And atleast couple of scooters now have larger wheels like this one has. So what's the USP of this ?
Old 17th April 2018, 17:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When Honda was organizing test rides for the Africa Twin, some people jokingly called it a liter class Activa due to its auto gearbox. Looks like Honda took the joke seriously!

Quote:
Why is this exactly a scooter and not a motorcycle?
It is a beefed up version of the Integra scooter with which it shares most mechanicals including the engine and the DCT geabox. Hence the scooter identity.

Motorcycle because Honda wants people to think it is capable of taking on one. Opinions have been rather divided about this topic IMO, but most comparison reviews talk about this as a maxi scooter whereas individual reviews seem to focus more on its adventure capabilities.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th April 2018 at 17:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 17:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The X-ADV is powered by a 745 cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-twin cylinder engine that produces 54 BHP @ 6,250 rpm and peak torque of 68 Nm @ 4,750 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. Brakes come in the form of twin 296 mm discs in the front and a single 240 mm disc in the rear. It has dual-channel ABS.
This seems to be "scooterized" version of Honda NC750x!
Knowing Honda, either they do not launch it at all or price it 10-12lakh on road.
Old 18th January 2022, 09:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has received rights to the X-ADV trademark in India recently. Honda BigWing is set to retail a new model soon.

Honda X-ADV adventure scooter patented in India-smartselect_20220118094828_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:33   #8
BHPian

I know we like scooters, but If Honda want to experiment, wouldn't it be better to try something like a CRF 190 or a 250 than this?
Old 18th January 2022, 20:22   #9
BHPian

Only the gods know what HMSI is trying to do in India. They bring the Forza, then this. I really want to know what are they trying to do here (other than the activas and their shines). Their present product line is pretty bland and expensive.

They have amazing products, the CRF250L, that was based upon our beloved CBR250R. This CRF is literally the do-it-all bike India needs. And the other one being the CBR250RR. They are in a deep slumber, and they need a firm wake-up call. Let them get back in the zone, bring affordable products and regain their position in the market.

I am really disappointed in HMSI.
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting the PCX 150 to be launched, considering it's available almost everywhere, outside India. This Scooty/Bike got me scratching my head. It will go head-on against the BMW scooter, I guess
Old 19th January 2022, 19:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

X adv might come to top line bigwing dealership as flagship scooter and the 350cc version will be sold across all Bigwing across India is my guess. Keep in mind non top line Bigwing dealers are capped to sell bikes upto 500cc. The Hness and CBR500 won't be enough.

Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:38   #12
BHPian

I am pretty excited that Honda is planning to launch the X-ADV. Of course, eventually it will come down to the price so here’s hoping that HMSI doesn’t repeat the 500X type pricing.
Old 19th January 2022, 23:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Their present product line is pretty bland and expensive.
Present product line:
CB300R
CB500X
CBR650R
CB650R
Africa Twin MT/DCT
Goldwing MT/DCT
CBR1000 RR-R/SP

Expensive? It’s a matter of perspective. Yes, maybe the CB500X / CBR1000 RR-R SP could be termed overpriced.

Bland? Some of these bikes are exceptionally premium, so not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Main challenge would be the price though - going by the UK prices - this should be priced close to around 10L ex-showroom.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in a scooter for that price, even if its this capable.
This costs more than the Street Triple RS in the UK. Expect India price to be around 12-14l ex-showroom.

It comes with a full TFT screen capable of CarPlay/Android Auto based connectivity for god’s sake.

There are so many people lusting for this scooter, I’m not kidding, not a single piece would remain available for sale once it’s launched. BigWing dealers already have lists of interested folks.

It is an extremely niche/exclusive product with massive appeal to prospective buyers.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2022 at 09:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
GoBlue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 09:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Present product line:
CB300R
CB500X
CBR650R
CB650R
Africa Twin MT/DCT
Goldwing MT/DCT
CBR1000 RR-R/SP

Expensive? It’s a matter of perspective. Yes, maybe the CB500X / CBR1000 RR-R SP could be termed overpriced.
Believe most Honda bikes are overpriced from the general perspective. Not talking about their flagship bikes - but all the entry level ones!
  • CB300R thread is all complaints about how the price shot up with BS6 despite localisation now.
  • CB500X is a classic case of Honda's pricing strategy ruining a promising product. I know some die-hard BHPian fans who were desperately waiting for it, but think that it is only worth the ex-showroom price, on road!
  • CB650R is priced higher than a Z900 from half a segment above!
  • CBR650R is the highest priced 650, even above the Strom - but then again the saving grace is that there is no direct competition.

With the X-ADV being a niche flagship, I guess Honda will price it directly against the BMW or maybe even higher! Regarding sales - I'm not sure because of the CB500X experience. The most anticipated Honda has also become it's biggest flop in the market - only due to greedy pricing.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2022 at 09:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 20:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhuberance View Post
I am pretty excited that Honda is planning to launch the X-ADV. Of course, eventually it will come down to the price so here’s hoping that HMSI doesn’t repeat the 500X type pricing.
Sorry to burst your bubble, HMSI WILL price it that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks