Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 23:38   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Weight of the pillion causes the suspension to sag down and the geometry makes the chain gets tighter.

Possibly the chain is too loose?
Guess this could be the reason.

SC tightend the chain in last service, in 50 Kms it was back to normal and continues to get worse. The play is 2.5mm on this one, i think that could be the reason. This needs to be fixed by TVS nothing short term, but for once and for all.
Old 2nd April 2018, 00:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Guess this could be the reason.
While TVS is looking for a solution to this, maybe you can give this a shot. If there is a provision, try to be seated on the bike without the paddock or side stand and then ask the mechanic to tighten the chain as per the mfg. recommendation. This will address the good point made by CrazyDriver about the weight of the pillion causing the chain to tighten.
abhinav.s is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

A new chain will also tend to get loose in the first few thousand kms and will need adjustment before it becomes standard. Common with all chains.

Secondly, adjust chain for solo only and adjust rear suspension for pillion and luggage as and when needed.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A new chain will also tend to get loose in the first few thousand kms and will need adjustment before it becomes standard. Common with all chains.

Secondly, adjust chain for solo only and adjust rear suspension for pillion and luggage as and when needed.
I would have been OK if it would have been after a few thousand kms, problem is this is happening within less then 100 km of chain being tightened. Secondly this is not a one off case, but with almost 7 of the 10 bikes yesterday. This seems more like a design flaw to me.
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would have been OK if it would have been after a few thousand kms, problem is this is happening within less then 100 km of chain being tightened. Secondly this is not a one off case, but with almost 7 of the 10 bikes yesterday. This seems more like a design flaw to me.
It does happen within first 100 kms and it will continue to happen over the first 1000 kms.

If its any consolation, it happens on a new chain on the versys 650 as well. Its a chain characteristic.

Loading and unloading a chain without adjusting suspension will also cause the chain to expand unnecessarily because of the added load (tight chain is stretched).

Ask TVS to give you a new chain sprocket kit under warranty, and this time do your homework before loading the bike. Lots of informative videos on YouTube.

All the best,!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:47   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It does happen within first 100 kms and it will continue to happen over the first 1000 kms.

If its any consolation, it happens on a new chain on the versys 650 as well. Its a chain characteristic.

Loading and unloading a chain without adjusting suspension will also cause the chain to expand unnecessarily because of the added load (tight chain is stretched).

Ask TVS to give you a new chain sprocket kit under warranty, and this time do your homework before loading the bike. Lots of informative videos on YouTube.

All the best,!
Thanks for your inputs, i will go through the videos. My only gripe is that the bike has not been loaded at all(Except around 20 kms which my wife sat as pillion). I have been riding solo for the rest of the time. Let's see how this pans out.

We have the TVS service engineer added to our whatsapp group and he is very active and eager to help. Replacement should not be too much of a problem, but then i will probably go that route once i am 100% confident of that fixing the issue.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
The engine is absolutely a gem on this one, it revs freely, and gains speed extremely quickly, before you know you are doing triple digits. Overtaking is a breeze, and it is around the 4000-8000 rpm that this engine comes in it's* own. You can cruise effortlessly at around 110 kmph at around 6500 rpm. Peeps waiting for BMW G310, you guys will be in for a treat. TVS/BMW has got everything right about the engine. You will be smiling every time you get to rev this engine, it's a given.
Just what I wanted to hear!

Especially with the double disappointment of Honda not bringing the CBR300R to India and the heart wrenchingly exorbitant pricing of the Ninja 400, I find myself anxiously awaiting the arrival of the BMW G310R/GS. The GS feels the more alluring option at this moment.
Old 4th April 2018, 10:56   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Just what I wanted to hear!

Especially with the double disappointment of Honda not bringing the CBR300R to India and the heart wrenchingly exorbitant pricing of the Ninja 400, I find myself anxiously awaiting the arrival of the BMW G310R/GS. The GS feels the more alluring option at this moment.
With Ninja Pricing itself into oblivion, i just hope BMW does not go the same route. In India BMW is perceived as a much more premium brand say compared to Kawa. I personally have a feeling that BMW is going to price the G cousins north of 3.5 lacs.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 11:26   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With Ninja Pricing itself into oblivion, i just hope BMW does not go the same route. In India BMW is perceived as a much more premium brand say compared to Kawa. I personally have a feeling that BMW is going to price the G cousins north of 3.5 lacs.
Quite a few folks are happy with the price being high for the BMW twins - there's will be less people to fight with for service bays and more exclusivity on the roads.

I am certain that is how its going to be.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 20:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I personally have a feeling that BMW is going to price the G cousins north of 3.5 lacs.
Slightly off topic but,

I'm hopeful that won't be the case, for two reasons. Firstly, the local manufacturing of the BMW G310R/GS. That alone would help BMW keep the prices competitive than say a R3 or a N400 that comes via the CKD route.

Secondly, it does not make sense for BMW to price the G cousins over the KTM Duke 390(and the upcoming Adventure 390). While I don't mind paying a premium for the BMW badge, I certainly won't be getting a G if it's costlier than a KTM 390 which outperforms it considerably and also has a better service network.

The ideal price range for BMW is between the Apache 310 and the KTM Duke 390. It has to be closer to the Apache rather than the Duke, or BMW risks accompanying the N400 into oblivion.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 21:34   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly off topic but,

I'm hopeful that won't be the case, for two reasons. Firstly, the local manufacturing of the BMW G310R/GS. That alone would help BMW keep the prices competitive than say a R3 or a N400 that comes via the CKD route.

Secondly, it does not make sense for BMW to price the G cousins over the KTM Duke 390(and the upcoming Adventure 390). While I don't mind paying a premium for the BMW badge, I certainly won't be getting a G if it's costlier than a KTM 390 which outperforms it considerably and also has a better service network.

The ideal price range for BMW is between the Apache 310 and the KTM Duke 390. It has to be closer to the Apache rather than the Duke, or BMW risks accompanying the N400 into oblivion.
Let's hope for the best, but a price range closer to apache won't happen. One it will impact Apache sales, Second dilute BMW brand. They might not lauch the R at all and just launch gs, this will help them to launch it at premium, they will have no clear competition. Numbers i don't think are on mind of BMW, if that was the case this bike would have launched way back. A miracle won't happen in 3 months that the Service capacity will increase by multiple times.

We can speculate all we want, but what will happen we will only now in 4-5 months from now (Hopefully)
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 21:35   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am certain that is how its going to be.
+1.

Quote:
And lets say you are right - what's next? TVS can't handle the RR310 launch volumes. BMW will be able to handle a rush for the G310 and GS310 with just a dozen dealers across the nation? And then comes the question of service.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen. It'll be disaster for the brand if everyone who buys RR310s and KTM 390s suddenly gets interested to buy the BMW 310s.

You're right that this is the price the product alone probably deserves. But the end combination BMW will be targetting will be a price the brand + product combination can pull off successfully in India, at numbers they can handle. Those are likely to be higher than the price figure of the KTMs and only a few will still go ahead and buy it.

Sometimes less sales is good for a brand, and premium pricing is one way to ensure it. And BMW surely is in that situation. They have the brand desirability to pull it off as well, unless the overprice it way too high into oblivion (Hint: Ninja 400 levels!)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2018 at 21:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 01:58   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

After 1500 kms I am getting a mileage of 32 kmpl, which is not bad at all. I did a tank to tank testing and I was able to ride around 356 kms with 19 km range left. One full tank can almost get you around 375 km and you push it a bit maybe 400 kms. This is not a bad range at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1523132892003.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1523132902698.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1523132915225.jpg  

AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 22:10   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Guys, been sometime this thread was updated, a few updates to revive the thread.

Just completed the second service today, the bike has completed 2900 Kms, i have not ridden it as much i would have wanted to, probably will put in some more miles before the next service.

Second service is more of a formailty and just a general checkup, Steps carried out in second service.

1. Wash
2. Engine Oil check.
3. Fairing screws tightened.
4. ECU update and checks.
5. Chain Lubing.
6. Polishing

Extra ask from me

1. Adjust the clutch, as again i was having problem with the neutral.
2. Tighten the chain to eliminate the chain noise.
3. Adjust the high beam throw to lower it a bit.
4. Rubber grip added to the handle bar grips.

Friendly folks at Prakruthi were welcoming and did the job well. Every issue explained to them was tended to deligently and fixed. Full marks to them, plus the fact that they are in our whatsapp group always helps.

Total cost - 295 rupees.

Now this is one advantage of having the TVS, in two servicing the total cost incurred by me is around 1400 rupees, if i compare it with any other bike in this class, i guess it will be on the higher side.

Bike has been running flawlessly, the ongoing inssue of chain noise continues to be there, specially while going through bad patches. I have made my peace with it, and now i kind of ignore it. Would have been great if TVS would have fixed it, but by the looks of it, the engineering deparmtnent is not competent enough or lethargic. Expected much better from TVS, well have made my peace with that too.

Did a few trips, namely to Lepakshi temple, attended WMD, participated in a chairty football event and few runs on hoskote highway. Now i plan to take it a little longer maybe do a 400 KM+ ride, have been thinking of doing an OOTY trip, or take it to Gandikota, should hopefully happen sometine next month, targetting the long weekend. Drakula was demanding some more attention, so did some sticker work on the Wheel rims, that is the only addition along with lamination of the speedo. Still hunting for a good Frame slider.

In the meantime Ninja 300 dropped it's price and added ABS, i was for a minute tempted to switch, after all the only reason i dropped Ninja 300 was due to lack of ABS. Gave it a long thought, and then decided against it. Ninja no doubt brings the refinement of Twin and Japanense reliability, but now a bond has been established with Drakula, and i think i will only be happy with an inline 4 next. The Ninja is approximately 1 Lac expensive OTR in Bangalore.

The bike runs smooth, the vibrations have reduced but not to the point that you don't notice them, but then again, i have made my peace. It is just funny once you decide to overlook some small niggles that the rides become so much more pleasant. Have formed a nice riding group with some young kids, nice to see there prespective to life also, and keeps you feeling young too. I continue to get an avearge of around 32 Kmpl, which is pretty good.

Leaving you with some pics of Drakula, shoot away if you have any questions will be happy to answer like always.

At lepakshi
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-lepakshi11.jpg

At WMD
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-wmd11.jpg

At the football Charity Event
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-chairty-event2.jpg
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-charity-event-1.jpg

A Night Shot
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-night-shot1.jpg

Couple of Pics after servicing with the stickers on the rims
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-after-servicing-21.jpg
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-after-servicing-1.jpg

The Group
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-group.jpg

Last edited by AtheK : 21st July 2018 at 22:17.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 22:16   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

32kmpl? Wow that's stellar fuel efficiency. What speeds do you maintain?

My RC390 gives me 17-22 kmpl for my riding style.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks