Team-BHP - Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/194285-royal-enfield-himalayan-sleet-launched-rs-2-12-lakh.html)

Royal Enfield has launched a new version of its adventurer tourer motorcycle, the Himalayan Sleet.

It has been launched at an introductory price of INR 2,12,666 (on-road Chennai). In case you’re wondering, Sleet means ‘rain containing some ice, as when snow melts as it falls.’
Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh-royalenfieldhimalayansleetlaunchedinindia2.jpg
The first 500 units of the new Himalayan Sleet will come equipped with the Explorer Kit, which will include an assortment of Royal Enfield genuine motorcycle accessories. The fully-kitted motorcycles will be available online for a limited period, starting from January 12-30. Buyers will have to register through the company’s website and sales will go live on January 30. The Himalayan Sleet will be sold on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Royal Enfield President Rudratej Singh said, “The new Himalayan Sleet is inspired by the terrain of Royal Enfield’s spiritual home – the Himalayas, its craggy land, the gorges, edgy peaks all brought together in the colours of the sleet.”

Royal Enfield has launched a new variant of its Himalayan touring bike. The new Himalayan Sleet is priced at Rs. 2,12,666 (on-road, Chennai). The first 500 bikes come factory-fitted with the Explorer Kit.

Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh-front-accessories.jpg

The Himalayan Sleet is based on the Himalayan that uses a cradle frame as its backbone. The bike measures 2,190 mm in overall length and its width and height is 840 mm and 1,360 mm respectively. It has a wheelbase of 1,465 mm and the seat height is set at 800 mm. The kerb weight of the Himalayan is 191 kg and it has a 15-litre fuel tank.

Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh-rear-accessories_1.jpg

The Himalayan Sleet is characterized by its distinct paint job with camouflage patterns. The Explorer Kit will be offered on the first 500 bikes. It includes accessories like aluminium panniers, pannier mounting rails, an aluminium handlebar with cross brace and a large engine guard.

Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh-fullsidewithaccessories-1.jpg

Meanwhile, it uses the same 411 cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine as the standard Himalayan. This engine, which is mated to a 5-speed gearbox produces 24.5 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and a peak torque of 32 Nm @ 4,250 rpm. The Himalayan Sleet rides on 21-inch front and 17-inch rear wheels shod with dual purpose tyres. Brakes come in form of a 300 mm front disc with 2-piston floating caliper and a 240 mm disc in the rear with a single piston caliper.

Royal Enfield Himalayan Sleet launched at Rs. 2.12 lakh-fullsidewithaccessories2.jpg

Interested buyers can register on Royal Enfield's website. Registrations are open from January 12-30, 2018. Post registration, users will receive a unique code that will be required to participate in the sale. The sale goes live on January 30, 2018 on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis and the customers can book the bike by paying the booking amount of Rs. 5,000.

Link to Team-BHP News

Looks like a good way to clear old stocks before the real new bikes (650 twin) hits the market. Certainly not what i expected when the bike was relaunched after stopping production temporarily.

https://youtu.be/vQWhnfEaKIk

What a load of bull crap. I thought they were launching an updated Himalyan - EFI, switchable ABS (ha!), better quality brakes or anything which can even remotely be called an update.

This seems like a new sticker job with panniers that should have been available as an accessory anyway.

I'm wondering what the hoopla was all about or am I missing something and holding the wrong end of the stick here?

2.12L. I understand the mad craze for a bike that is not worth 2L but this is stretching to an extent. I hope this is just a social experiment by RE to check how mad Royal enfield fans are when it comes to actually equating worth of its bike before buying. This can give them great insights by sale number to price the 650 either below 4L or above 4L.

All in all, a nice facepalm moment for me when i looked at no updates except paint job and 2.12L in chennai :)

Why should only cars have all the fun with "Limited" editions? :D

Really disappointed with no real mechanical changes at 2.12L.

Today tried checking "Limited" edition at local showrooms in Hubli and they had not received any bikes.
Of two showrooms only one had only regular Himalayan (new BS4) and they did not even had demo vehicle, also he was not ready to start the whatever existing bikes. Later while leaving, he was pestering about getting my contact details to which I refused. Heard he was cursing me for wasting a cup of coffee on me.
lol:

With such attitude, Good luck Royal Enfield!

Just by changing colors they are not going to achieve anything. All the best RE with your limited edition(color changes) of Himalayan. Hope you don't repeat the same Himalayan blunders.

This is just a stock clearance gimmick in the name of a limited edition. I personally liked camouflage paint job. The Himalayan Sleet Edition is about ₹ 28,000 more expensive than the standard version. A buyer gets a set of aluminium panniers, mounting rails and engine guard at ₹ 28,000.

This reminds me RE Classic Despatch Editions. It was back in May 2016 that Royal Enfield unveiled the Classic 500 Limited edition model - Despatch. Royal Enfield claimed it has sold its entire inventory of 200 units of limited edition motorcycles within 26 minutes of the opening of online booking.

To repeat what I had mentioned in some other thread, RE is to motorcycles what Maruti is to cars. One can blame/make fun of them how much ever one would like to but in the end they laugh all the way to the bank!

2.12 lakhs OTR is a bit too much for a bike which seems a bit dated on technology front.

An employee from our office went on his Bajaj Boxer for a month long expedition in this mountain range and came out safe and sound !

Here are a few pics I took today at a dealer.

Quick thoughts- Welding marks still prominent, panniers' quality seems good (lockable) and I think it will be tough task to remove & put them back on as it requires unbolting few, rear indicators tucked behind panniers is risky as rear vehicle just won't be able to see flashing indicators.

cheers.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangdu (Post 4339316)
I think it will be tough task to remove & put them back on

That is bad. They could have at least used some easily retractable mechanism since the entire purpose of this range is touring and expedition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangdu (Post 4339316)
rear indicators tucked behind panniers is risky as rear vehicle just won't be able to see flashing indicators.

Quite stupid of RE to tuck in the indicators there. It would be hardly visible for the vehicles from behind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Six (Post 4340102)
That is bad. They could have at least used some easily retractable mechanism since the entire purpose of this range is touring and expedition.

Isn't it mind boggling? why can't RE think like us riders who after a long distance ride would like to just get going after quickly removing the panniers. Quite clearly they haven't given it any real world thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Six (Post 4340102)
Quite stupid of RE to tuck in the indicators there. It would be hardly visible for the vehicles from behind.

Yes, atrocious in my terms. How could this even pass their Quality/Safety checks when I could fathom the issue in a jiffy. Either they didn't think at all (which could be a possibility as their main idea of refresh has been color changes mostly) or knowing the risk they might have murmured "who cares!, we just need to get this project off our plate but hey our panniers are strong enough to take the hit..eh..in case. Let's continue to focus on our new camouflage color, shall we? ":Frustrati .

If this was their attitude for this project then other flaws/blunders might show up soon, just to be discovered as guinea pigs' rides go by.:mad:

Next up from RE in the Himalayan range will be a Himalayan Ladakh edition with prayer flags as a company fitted accessory for 2.25lacs OTR! 28k over the standard version for what - a set of panniers and paint job?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangdu (Post 4340343)
why can't RE think like us riders who after a long distance ride would like
If this was their attitude for this project then other flaws/blunders might show up soon, just to be discovered as guinea pigs' rides go by.:mad:

RE is thinking. But about their target market, 99% of whom will never really push the bike but just want to own, and more importantly, be seen owning/riding an RE. They sold bikes for a long time and almost went broke. Then they started selling the 'biker lifestyle' and profits are through the roof!

Using their first batch of owners as guinea pigs is standard operating procedure for RE. That has been happening since my CI-engine college days, to the AVLs of my TB350, to the Classic 500s of my friends who were willing to wait for 7 months for their bikes. And till they have some serious competition in the form of a sub-2lakh actual India-road-specific tourer that can carry 2 in comfort, this will continue.