Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:37   #61
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I believe O-rings are not expensive, not sure how much the dealer is going to save from not replacing them. I would suggest that you call the Yamaha Sales team tomorrow and request them to instruct the dealer to change the O-ring.
Dropped in on Saturday to get the O-ring replaced, bike feels the same -rough or smooth. Again the question arises why the dealer could not have done it the first time around.

This time after replacing the O-ring, the technician, revved it up a bit to check if any oil leakage, did a couple of longish intra-city rides, no oil leakage so hoping for the best.
indivic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Does anyone notice a ringing sound coming from the upper end of the FZ25 engine? My brother's bike has dome about 600kms ( 1st service done) and that faint timing chain like noise keeps coming.
The dealer told me that all bikes have it mostly.
This is very common issue which the early-birds do face with any manufacturer. However as per your description you might need to check with the SVC and ask them to insect the timing chain and tapit valves, if required tighten it. hopefully it will solve the matter.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:19   #63
BANNED

Faint timing chain noise is acceptable even on a new motorcycle, you would only need to worry if the same is super noticeable in which case you can claim for a timing chain tensioner replacement under warranty. The acceptable means of diagnosing the same would be to ride the motorcycle in final drive at a decent speed(not too fast, not too slow) then kill the motor and while observing the engine note coast the motorcycle to a halt. If the clatter from the engine is minimal then all is well, if you can literally hear the timing chain bashing around then you would need to look into it, also make sure you don't confuse drive chain noise with timing chain noise.

As for tappets, well, though manufacturers claim that the same needs to be adjusted every 10k km's my opinion on the same differs as my Pulsar 220 is 30k+ km's on the ODO and has yet shown signs of tappet noise. Understanding perfectly that the same is preventive maintenance I'm accepting a certain percentage of risk on my motorcycle considering the mileage but to be fiddling with a brand new motor seem's a little paranoid to me and self-destructive to a certain degree taking into consideration the lack of due diligence displayed by the so called "Company Trained" mechanics at the ASC's.

P.S.

Ideally your tappets need to be adjusted out of the way when your motorcycle gives out "Sewing Machine" noises from the head region when cold, initially it would go away when motor reaches operating temp but I'd suggest you take the cue and adjust your tappet clearance, its a DIY that can be done anywhere from 15 mins to an hour based on the make and model of motorcycle you own.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 22nd January 2018 at 19:35. Reason: Missed to include diagnosis and resolution Tappet Noise.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 17:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Recall Update-

I received this letter from Yamaha last week.

Attachment 1717145

Took my bike today afternoon. It was just a 15 mins job. They just applied 'Loctite' on the nuts and tightened it to a company specified torque. No parts were replaced.
Wow. Great to see the company taking time out and ensuring customers are let to know of any kind of manufacturing or production fault and rectifying them in time. This kind of pro-activeness is what reinforces customer's faith in the company and makes the customer come back again. Lesson to be learnt by many other company about standing behind their own product when tough situations arise and not wash hands off the product.

Regards,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 23:12   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the first servicing done today at 900 km.

According to the service manual its 60 days or 1000 km which ever is first.

There were no complaints, so there was nothing extra to do, rather than a general service and check up.

Bike was thoroughly cleaned.

The clutch was adjusted and it feels softer and smoother than before.

Got the rear brake pads adjusted a bit.

Oil filter and engine oil was changed. Instead of Yamaha lube i went for Motul7100. Just rode for 10kms after the service. The engine sound and gear shift feels smoother.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_7952.jpg

Bike looks all new and shiny after the service.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_7962.jpg

After completion of 500 km, i noticed the chain to get very dirty.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-1-2.jpg

So bought a Motul Chain cleaner and a Motul C2 chain lube along with a chain cleaning brush.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-1-3.jpg

Did a DIY, first result was not satisfactory, so tried again and got this-

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-1-1.jpg

Mean while i went for a short ride with my friend whom i sold my KarizmaR.
I took the chance to ride my previous bike and the Karizma felt like a big bike after getting used to with the Fz25!

The Karizma looks a lot sober in comparison to this mean looking FZ25!

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_7906.jpg

Last but not the least, thanks to Team Bhp for this -

Loved the quality and the printing, its very comfortable too.
Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_7965.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 3rd February 2018 at 23:26.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 11:39   #66
BHPian

I am planning to get this motorcycle only because I am strictly on a budget. I am upgrading from a P220 Dts-i. Would like to know how has the experience been so far for current FZ25 owners. Is the night illumination issue a major one? Also, what is the real world mileage offered by this motorcycle? How is the gearbox after regular maintenance?
Any other issues I must be aware of before taking the plunge?

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 16th February 2018 at 11:58.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 11:11   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
I am planning to get this motorcycle only because I am strictly on a budget. I am upgrading from a P220 Dts-i. Would like to know how has the experience been so far for current FZ25 owners. Is the night illumination issue a major one? Also, what is the real world mileage offered by this motorcycle? How is the gearbox after regular maintenance?
If you are riding in city with the halogen lights from the street lights the headlight is useless practically. I typically rely on the street lights, but in darkness they are good.

My bike currently gives anywhere between 30-33, I have only 1.5K on the odo so I expect it to improve. On my bike chain seems to develop some slack which might need regular checking, other than that no issues, touchwood.
indivic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 11:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
If you are riding in city with the halogen lights from the street lights the headlight is useless practically. I typically rely on the street lights, but in darkness they are good.

My bike currently gives anywhere between 30-33, I have only 1.5K on the odo so I expect it to improve. On my bike chain seems to develop some slack which might need regular checking, other than that no issues, touchwood.

Thanks for the info mate. The more I read about this motorcycle the more I get confused to take a buying leap. Things I've heard include:

1. Hard seats than the competition (Some say its typical Yamaha)
2. Soft front suspension and hard rear mono shock make the ride slightly uncomfortable on Indian roads
3. The lights are inadequate unless pitch-dark, which is hard to come by in a city like Mumbai
4. Gearbox is clunky and finding neutral in stop and go traffic is hectic
5. Flat profile tyres limit the motorcycle's agility
6. Vibes kick in the moment one rushes to triple digit speeds
7. Many other smaller issues which are inconsistent across user groups
8. Recent recall over the loose bolts and the time period passed since its launch
9. Yamaha might be planning a 2018 rectified variant with ABS as an option!

I love the styling and I wish the motorcycle was hassle free. Should I wait or take the leap considering Yamaha has promised to rectify the loose bolt issue on newer production models. But, do the newly manufactured motorcycles also adhere to other issues like gearbox clunkiness and headlights?

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 19th February 2018 at 11:46.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info mate. The more I read about this motorcycle the more I get confused to take a buying leap. Things I've heard include:
Let me try to answer point by point

=> This one is my first Yamaha, I am used to Bajaj bikes only. Seat discomfort went away after 2 weeks, I have also added Yamaha OEM seat cover as well. Comfortable on long commutes, I haven't done a long ride yet.
2. Soft front suspension and hard rear mono shock make the ride slightly uncomfortable on Indian roads
=> Better than my first gen Pulsar 180, I haven't had the shocks bottom out anywhere. Rear shock is hard though
3. The lights are inadequate unless pitch-dark, which is hard to come by in a city like Mumbai
=> This is true.
=> Gearbox is not clunky, my bike is from May'17 lot, bought in Oct. Sometimes finding neutral is a problem but only when engine is cold.
=> Haven't done hard cornering, not planning to as well. Some people claim Masseter does a better job compare to the stock MRFs. This bike is surely not meant for race track or spirited cornering because of the way the chassis and shocks are set up, there is absolutely no problem in filtering through traffic at speed.
6. Vibes kick in the moment one rushed to triple digit speeds
=> I ride with gloves on, haven't felt this, there are vibes but lesser than on my Pulsar
=> No idea
8. Recent recall over the loose bolts and the time period passed since its launch
=> This is more of trust in a product rather than a serious issue, my bike has been to the recall. You can even choose to apply Loctite yourself if you are a DIY kind of person.
=> No idea, but I keep hearing that they have time till 2019, since Apr 2018 is only for new products in the market.

Hope this helps
indivic is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
... The more I read about this motorcycle the more I get confused to take a buying leap. Things I've heard include:
Wonder whether those points were a marketing ploy at dealer level (of competitor bikes). I rode FZ25 couple of times & regularly in touch with someone who frequently do long (90km - one way) commutes. His comments: "Couldn't feel any vibration till 120kmph, after that it's noticeable but not bad. Most importantly, there is no engine heat on the legs like KTM Duke."

As a former long-term user of RX100, I can say this.
If you are a long time Honda or Suzuki bike rider, you will find that
1. Throttle is a bit hard,
2. Gear shift need efforts,
3. Finding neutral needs a little experience.
4. Seats are not over-cushioned.
It's the same in RX100 days also. Bikers who had HH or Ind-Suzuki felt that way when they tried my RX100. Would like to believe it's a Yamaha trait! But KTM Dukes also have these same characters.

Headlight throw make me wanting some more. It was the same in RX100 (again!).
viggienomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 14:22   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will suggest to read a bit more on this, I have my impressions in its own thread, you may read those as well.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 14:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
The more I read about this motorcycle the more I get confused
Frankly, you wouldn't find a motorcycle which can satisfy a rider on all these points or does not have at least a couple of shortcomings you have listed here.

Also, I feel like the problem not exactly with just the bike, but with half cooked and amount of information available on the internet. Sometimes that makes the buyer feel confused than he actually is.

Happy bike hunting!

R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 15:31   #73
BHPian

Coming from a Pulsar 220 Dts-i, I wish not to downgrade, but make a lateral transition. Have been using projector lamp on the Pulsar and this motorcycle looks amazing but fails to deliver appropriate illumination. Another query, has anyone installed a windshield for highway rides? If yes, could you post some pics or guide on how to install one? Also, a hard seat would not be a concern some years ago but now I want my ride to be fairly comfortable than the motorcycle I am transitioning from. Will keep the research on and take at least 2 test rides before I make my decision.

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 19th February 2018 at 15:32.
Old 19th February 2018, 15:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pratzgh1

I recently happened to purchase an FZ25. I must thank the folks in this Thread Indivic and Samba for their feedback and support. I've been meaning to start a thread on the same soon. However I'm going OT now and will answer your queries.

1. I'm not sure you'll find the FZ25 an big upgrade from the P220 DTS-i. In term of refinement and handling maybe so. I myself let go of a Duke200 to get the FZ25. Only because of the relaxed nature of the FZ25. Again relaxed I'm using relative to the Duke 200. If you're expecting a significant jump in performance then you might be disappointed. I've done about 1600 kms so far with a long ride of 500 kms thrown in I just did this past weekend (went two up with some weekend luggage). My riding is primarily 50% city and 50% highway. I'm getting a fuel economy readout in the range of 35-40 kmpl. Drivvo app says I'm getting 40+. So depending on your riding style and how and where you are riding, this will differ but majority of the FZ25 owners have been getting 35-40 kmpl

2. Night illumination could be an issue if you're used to the P220 DTS-i projector lights. The problem is not the throw it's the spread of the headlights that are a bit weak. Otherwise it's fine and does it's job adequately.

3. My Bike was not affected by the recall and so far I've had no issues with the "coin" ringing noise. Gearbox before run-in can be a bit hard but nothing that'll be uncomfortable. I encountered only 2 false nuetrals during the run-in of 1000 kms. Again this is personal thing, you can't always expect the machine to adapt to you, sometimes you have to adapt to the machine. Ask any RE owner I myself having owned an RE during my college days.

4. So far I've not had any issues. The service is top notch and maintenance expense is also reasonable. Highway performance has been top notch and suits my riding style. It's relaxed when you want it to be and can really accelerate when you push it hard.

Hope the above points help. My suggestion is take a test ride and then ride your P220 DTS-i back to back. You'll have your answer.

Quote:

I love the styling and I wish the motorcycle was hassle free. Should I wait or take the leap considering Yamaha has promised to rectify the loose bolt issue on newer production models. But, do the newly manufactured motorcycles also adhere to other issues like gearbox clunkiness and headlights?
The loose bolt issue has been handled fine. Mine is a Oct manufactured bike. So it was from the new lot. Gearbox has been fine for me pre run-in. Headlights no change. Suggestion is to add on aux-lights on the crash guard for a better spread or upgrading bulbs of the headlight. I'm looking for an upgrade right now myself. Will let you know if some good solution comes up.

Quote:
The more I read about this motorcycle the more I get confused to take a buying leap.
Ha ha. That always happens. We are spoilt for choice now, to answer your queries, please see below:

-> No this is not typical Yamaha. FZ16 seats were quite soft. On the FZ25, I find the padding to be good. On my recent long ride it was comfortable for both my wife and me. We took a short break every hour or so. So it isn't really for grand touring, but it serves its purpose adequately.

-> Soft front I'd agree. But its nothing that'll unsettle the rider too much. It was absolutely fine in the twisties for me. Rear suspension stock setting is slightly firm, but can be adjusted.

-> Its not great but won't be a bother in the city. Highway illumation in pitch dark conditions is decent. As I mentioned before the headlight is too focussed and the spread isn't that great.

-> Never faced this issue till date. <knock on wood> and now after the first service it's really smooth.

-> This part I read about in a lot of reports prior to my purchase. In fact I was thinking of getting the bike from the showroom and taking it directly to a tyre dealer and slapping on some Michelins. But the MRF flat profile tyres have not been a bother till date. Performance has been satisfactory. No complaints. I have to check it during the monsoons and maybe some riding in the slush to give you complete feedback. Have done some mild off roading on dirt tracks and it handles fine.

6. Vibes kick in the moment one rushes to triple digit speeds
-> Very very minor vibes are felt at the handlebars when you hit 100. But sore past that and it's fine again. Even the minor vibes you feel won't be a bother. But again please test ride and check the same for your satisfaction.

-> No idea. Could you please elaborate what these issues are that you've read up on? or maybe gotten feedback from other owners.

-> Recall was handled fine. Some service centres were a little lacking on doing the right job and doing it correctly, like not having the torque set correctly. New batches like my bike no issue. However on taking the delivery of the bike, the dealer has told me that in case there is an issue or if I feel the bike engine doesn't feel right, he will change the engine bolt free of charge. So again this kind of service and after sales treatment depends on the dealer.

-> This is highly possible but so far no scoop on this anywhere. If you're very very concerned and particular about ABS, you should maybe wait till April 2018. However do expect the cost to shoot up by a minimum of ₹5k.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th February 2018 at 19:17.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 18:09   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
-> This is highly possible but so far no scoop on this anywhere. If you're very very concerned and particular about ABS, you should maybe wait till April 2018. However do expect the cost to shoot up by a minimum of ₹5k.
Companies have time till April 2019 to refresh their existing models with ABS.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks