Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 02:48   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View

Got the 5th year service done at 8,500 km

Due to less running, my bike's battery gave up in Jan this year. But luckily it was just under 23 months, so got a new replacement battery for free from Amaron.

From the last one month, I was observing that while riding in traffic, whenever the bike comes to the idling rpm it was stalling.

As the servicing was due, I took the bike for the 5th year service.

At Yamaha service center they heard about my complaint, and said it requires a throttle body cleaning. I gave them a go ahead. They cleaned it.

The Spark Plug and the air-filter looked fine. So instead of replacing they just cleaned, and put them back.

The old engine oil was drained and new Yamalube 10W40 (full synthetic) was poured in and the oil filter was replaced.

The chain was cleaned and lubed.

They took a test ride and informed me, that the problem is solved.

Total bill came to Rs 2,570.

While returning, I again found the bike to be stalling whenever the rpm came down to idling. I called up the service center guys, and they told me the FI needs to be cleaned.

What I noticed was, this was happening only when the engine is warm, & when the engine is warm the idling rpm was coming down to 1000, which should be atleast 1250+.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6240.jpg

In my earlier KarizmaR which had a carb, I used to tune the carb myself, and adjust the idling rpm, but with this FI engine I was not very sure on how to proceed about it.

So, I did some research myself, and interacted with some very helpful guys in the pan Yamaha group. They directed me to follow the owners manual and do it step by step.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6250.jpg

This video in YouTube was very helpful too.

With the help of a number 8 Socket, I opened the front seat.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6244.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6245.jpg

The left side panel was removed by opening few screws and plastic clips.

The idling adjusting screw is located inside the marked area.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6243.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6242.jpg

I rotated the screw anticlockwise, and increased the Idling by 1 bar (1 bar = 250 rpm) while the engine was warm. This needs to be done in a warm engine, as while starting a cold engine, the rpm automatically goes up by a bar.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6246.jpg

After increasing the rpm, I rode the bike for some 15 km, and it looks like the problem got resolved. Earlier the engine was stalling every-time it was going down to the Idling rpm.
If the problem returns back, then will get the FI checked once. While riding there is absolutely no knocking or hiccups while accelerating or decelerating. The bike rides like as smooth as new.

My 5.5 years old bike with only 8,500 km on it's odo!

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_6247.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Please no discussion on WhatsApp / Telegram / other social media groups. Thanks.
Samba is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 12:33   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Can you show how your bike looks? Love to see a retro style FZ25.
Apologies for the delay. I only have a few i took on my mobile on the day it was done.

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-inked1686553064954.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-inked1686553064989.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-inked1686553064970.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-1686553064937.jpg
deltaone is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 11:31   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
[b]
What I noticed was, this was happening only when the engine is warm, & when the engine is warm the idling rpm was coming down to 1000, which should be atleast 1250+.
Exactly same issue in my bike too ! Let me try this over the weekend and let you know. This issue is a pain while commuting in the city for more than 20 / 30 minutes.

Has anyone tried installing windshields from any other bikes ? Thanks in advance.
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 15:23   #184

Hello Samba, very happy to see that you could sort out your issue easily. I've always loved the full black colourway of the FZ25 and yours looks amazing. I had a query to ask and i was hoping you could help, since it's a similar issue. My BS6 FZS25 is an absolute dream of a bike, but at times, after i ride it for a while till it's hot and then i park it for a while, so it cools down a little, around 15 minutes or so, it gets very lazy to start up again. The starter works fine, the engine fires but it stalls, and i have to give it some throttle which fixes the problem straight away and it runs fine. It doesn't stall at all otherwise, I'm wondering if i should do a throttle body clean or maybe the injectors. My bike has run around 18,000 kilometres and has made me love it more with each passing day, and solving this issue would make it so much better. Hope you can help.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Please no discussion on WhatsApp / Telegram / other social media groups. Thanks
Gautam_707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:02   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Exactly same issue in my bike too ! Let me try this over the weekend and let you know. This issue is a pain while commuting in the city for more than 20 / 30 minutes.
Please let us know about the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam_707 View Post
but at times, after i ride it for a while till it's hot and then i park it for a while, so it cools down a little, around 15 minutes or so, it gets very lazy to start up again. The starter works fine, the engine fires but it stalls, and i have to give it some throttle which fixes the problem straight away and it runs fine. It doesn't stall at all otherwise, I'm wondering if i should do a throttle body clean or maybe the injectors.
Thanks.

Check the idling rpm when the engine is warm. It should be above 1250. If not, please adjust it.

If the above is fine, you can use the LiquiMoly Fuel system cleaner. Pour it when when there is 5L of petrol left, and finish it up within one or two days.

If these do not solve the issue, get the throttle body cleaned.

Lastly if none of the above works, get the FI cleaned from the service centre, and get an obd scan done for any fault codes.

Plus get the health of the battery checked once.

I hope the condition of your bike’s spark-plug, and the air-filter is fine, as both of these are inspected during the routine services. If not, get them checked.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2023 at 17:19. Reason: Please no discussion on WhatsApp / Telegram / other social media groups. Thanks
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:38   #186
BHPian

On the topic of FZ25 does anyone knows whats happening to it? For the last couple of months there is no sales of the bike from the company, so has FZ25 been discontinued?

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-yamahasalesexportsmay20231.jpg
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 08:31   #187
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Facing a unique issue in my 2017 BS4 10k km run fz25. While accelerating post 5.5k rpm, 64 number is displayed on speedo along with engine malfunction lamp turning on for a fraction of second(number is not accompanied by ER in the beginning)

This happens everytime bike is taken above 5500 rpm. Owners manual doesn't have any info on the error codes. Casual Google search reveals problem related to injector.

Bike has been serviced religiously at service centre every year due to low running. Last service was done at 9900 odo wherein injector cleaning was also done. No change in bike's acceleration has been observed.

Any leads in issue resolution would be highly appreciated.
abhipuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 16:16   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Got the 5th year service done at 8,500 km.

I had the same issue after the first service of my FZ25 back in 2019. Mine is also a very low running motorcycle (bought in 2019 August) and crossed 10K kms only last week. I too noticed this issue only in heavy traffic conditions and this actually became quite risky for me but noticed that if I slipped the clutch it was all fine.

I immediately felt that it might be an issue with the idle RPM which the service center guys might have adjusted without my knowledge and confirmed this after checking the owner’s manual. Since the motorcycle was new and under warranty didn’t want to tamper anything myself since this was my first bike. Took it to the service center and they immediately accepted to adjust to the correct idle RPM.

Also a quick question. Does your gears get stuck in heavy traffic often? Happens in my case, not yet solved.
Ibanez_70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 16:48   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
so has FZ25 been discontinued?
Though am not 100% sure, I heard Yamaha has stopped the production of FZ25 from the time BS6.2 was introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
Hi Bhpians,
Facing a unique issue in my 2017 BS4 10k km run fz25. While accelerating post 5.5k rpm, 64 number is displayed on speedo along with engine malfunction lamp turning on for a fraction of second(number is not accompanied by ER in the beginning)
This happens everytime bike is taken above 5500 rpm.
Every-time the check-engine light glows, or an error is shown on the display, the error code should be stored in the ECU. I will suggest you to get an OBD scanning done at Yamaha, and then plan for your further actions. If no error code is found, get the FI system, fuel line and fuel pump rechecked once more, and keep observing the issue, rather than taking any immediate action. I hope the mechanics have not messed up anything while cleaning the FI during your bike's last service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_70 View Post

Also a quick question. Does your gears get stuck in heavy traffic often? Happens in my case, not yet solved.
Nope, my bike's gear shift is smooth, it never gets stuck.

Get the clutch and clutch cable checked.

Hope the chain sprockets, and the chain slack are fine.

Try using a good synthetic oil like the Motul7100 (10W40) or the LiquiMoly (10W40).

Last edited by Samba : 25th June 2023 at 16:53.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 22:47   #190
BHPian

Hello all,
Glad to see this threat alive!

I would love some opinions from FZ25 owners. I am in a mind vs heart battle currently. I have a 9 year old RE TB350 which I've ridden in the city and for touring. I'm going to keep the bike till I don't know when. Its been far too long with me to sell now. Now here comes the pickle. Over the years I feel I have outgrown the 350 and constantly crave something more. Features (like a working fuel meter) and electronic aids would be nice but I crave more power. I do not wish to put a lot of money into buying a motorcycle right now as my future after about 1 year is uncertain. I may consider a fun motorcycle up to 80k.

Of course I'm not getting a new motorcycle in 80k (not even a Shine). My random late night browsing on OLX tells me however that I might be able to get my hands on a used (2017-18) FZ25 with about 30k on odo at around 80k. I understand the FZ is not exactly an upgrade over the 350, but it has a nice peppy engine, its smooth, its utilitarian. A few years ago I almost replaced the 350 with an FZ25 (new) if it hadn't been for the super cheap offers I got for the 350. I am aware of its (major) drawbacks, like no 6th gear, tappet issue, very basic instrument cluster and useless headlight. These are not the deal breakers for me (maybe the lack of 6th gear, but owners might shed light on this).

Now, my question to the owners is simple. Is getting a 5-6 years old FZ25 and exposing myself to any unknown niggles and issues of a pre-owned bike worth it? Or is it more sensible to put that money into the 350, use the rest to travel?
TravelMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 08:04   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_70 View Post
Try to adjust the clutch lever free play as per the manufacturer's specification. Gearshifts are harder than say a Hornet. I have heard that use of Motul 7100 10W40 promotes the ease of shifting. Next time, I will experiment with Motul. But I don't ride that much during summer/rainy season. So, I shall be able to come to a conclusion later.
Fastdriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 11:11   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
Try to adjust the clutch lever free play as per the manufacturer's specification. Gearshifts are harder than say a Hornet. I have heard that use of Motul 7100 10W40 promotes the ease of shifting. Next time, I will experiment with Motul.
Thanks for the suggestion on engine oil. I have taken my bike multiple times to the service center for clutch free play adjustment when it was under warranty but that did not solve the issue. When I tried adjusting myself, the gearshifts got slightly smoother but in heavy traffic it still gets stuck often (not always).

However after your and Samba’s suggestion thinking of changing my engine oil with Motul. Will have to see how that works out.
Ibanez_70 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 00:39   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMonk View Post
I am aware of its (major) drawbacks, like no 6th gear, tappet issue, very basic instrument cluster and useless headlight. These are not the deal breakers for me (maybe the lack of 6th gear, but owners might shed light on this).

Now, my question to the owners is simple. Is getting a 5-6 years old FZ25 and exposing myself to any unknown niggles and issues of a pre-owned bike worth it? Or is it more sensible to put that money into the 350, use the rest to travel?
There is no issue with the tappet. The engine sound of this bike is like that itself.

The lack of 6th gear, and the poor headlight are the real cons.

You can buy this bike, it's reliable. But am sure you will outgrow this bike soon too. I will suggest you to wait a bit, and get something more powerful. This bike has a very good low-end and mid-range performance, but lacks the top-end performance.

Bikes with poor top-end performance gets outgrown faster!

Last edited by Samba : 10th July 2023 at 00:41.
Old 10th July 2023, 08:07   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMonk View Post
Hi! I've been using a pre-owned FZ25 (2017) for more than a year now and have clocked 7000 kms, so I guess I can provide some inputs. For me, this bike has been a textbook example of what it means to be reliable and hassle-free. Always comes to life on the very first crank and I've faced zero issues so far, touchwood. You can think of it as the Splendor / Activa equivalent in the 250cc segment . There are very few things that can go wrong in this bike as it is mechanically simple. So, I guess that answers your doubts on the niggles. One major con which you should be aware of is the next-to-useless headlight.

My usage involves mainly city commutes and occasional longer rides (within 250km) once or twice a month, so for this use case this bike is a good fit.

For a short term ownership, I would recommend getting one because it is a great all rounder. You can use it for commuting, buying groceries, carry a pillion comfortably, and do occasional highway rides. It is already well known that this bike has a weak top end, so out on the highway, the comfortable cruising speed is about 90kmph from what I have observed. The vibrations do kick in post 6k RPM. But for city rides and commuting, this bike is a gem because of the low-end torque.

For a long term ownership, I would not recommend getting this bike because as Samba has said above, it is easy to outgrow this bike and you will start craving for something more powerful soon. I had only ridden 100cc commuter bikes majorly before getting this, and in just one year I am kinda bored of it. Tempting launches like the new Triumph 400 isn't helping matters either.

I was lucky to find a pristine condition bike which had only run 3000 odd kms and got it for 50% of the on-road price of a new one. So, if you come across a well-kept example, I would say go for it. But try to get post-2018 models which have dual-channel ABS. If there is one regret that I have in my purchase, it is that mine is the non-ABS model and that fear is always there in the back of my mind whenever I venture out on the highway.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 19:44   #195

Completed 5 happy years with my FZ-25.
The motorcycle has been a blissful machine during these 30,000 kms. It is a Fun-to ride, reliable and a mile-muncher barring a few niggles.
Except the battery going kaput in the 2nd year, it has been a fuss-free ownership. I also welcomed a Jawa 42 bobber in Last November and so the running of the FZ has been considerably less but I do plan to retain the bike as long as possible.
Here are some pictures.
Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-20230714_175645.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-20230714_180132.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-20230825_194309.jpg
vjvinamara is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks