Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 15:10   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I presume not as the ZMA/ZMR was the only one to sport a .520 pitch chain last time I checked and it would be unlikely that the new motorcycles would drop below that pitch as it has become the standard more or less.

And 13T is threshold on OEM machines, mostly due to favoring chain life, as a smaller sprocket has a aggressive curve that can wear out the chain prematurely, hence why thumb rule is to play with the rear sprocket.
Yeah, is there a bigger rear sprocket that will fit in there? Which one? Will need to add more links to the chajn as well. The standard gearing on most of these bikes are rubbish, more low down torque the better for me.

I noticed that the chain on these bikes are all clip based? Is that normal? A rivet is a lot more hassle free.
Old 6th May 2019, 15:37   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I noticed that frame cut out next to the exhaust is still present. Are they seriously going to pass this jugaad onto production ? I see ample clearance to make it exit normally . How hard would it be to add a slightly angled adapter to the exhaust clamp ?

The frame cut is present on the ZMA, so it's a Honda to Hero thing. But on the ZMA, it looks more like a dent if I remember clearly. Here, it's a hole plugged and welded with a U-shaped metal ! The clearance is for access to those 2 cylinder nuts+stud bolts holding the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Even the ZMA launched in 2003 had a full DC ignition as observed from its stator(Read, Missing Primary Ignition Coil);
Meaning the motorcycle wouldn't run right without a battery in place, yet it still came with a kick-starter, and many even to this day follow the outdated practice of kick-starting it in the morning. The idea is that the Starter Motor puts maximum load on the battery and hence negating that load with a kick-starer helps to get the motorcycle running in the event that the battery is low on juice(Read, Though low on juice the battery is still present). Cheers,A.P.

A low battery light that warns well in advance would have sufficed? I am learning something new from your posts each day .
ashwanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 17:12   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post

A low battery light that warns well in advance would have sufficed? I am learning something new from your posts each day .
I think a low battery sensor can be installed on a bike with an ECU/FI unit with a display on the inbuilt console.

I am not sure if its possible on the carb.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 22:10   #124
BHPian

Quote:
The frame cut is present on the ZMA, so it's a Honda to Hero thing. But on the ZMA, it looks more like a dent if I remember clearly. Here, it's a hole plugged and welded with a U-shaped metal ! The clearance is for access to those 2 cylinder nuts+stud bolts holding the pipe.
I am aware which is why I suggested an angled adapter for the exhaust exit instead of a cut and botch job on something as important as the frame which, lets face it, will be going through quite a lot of stress considering the bike's off-road focus.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 23:50   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yeah, is there a bigger rear sprocket that will fit in there? Which one? Will need to add more links to the chajn as well. The standard gearing on most of these bikes are rubbish, more low down torque the better for me.
Until the motorcycle is available at our disposal all we can do is speculate.

Though personally I've used ZMA rear sprocket on my P220 for some low end oomph and it was a direct fit, the only parameters considered were number of holes and pitch.

Worst case scenario the entire hub can be swapped provided the alternate hub matches the alloys dia.

Just for informations sake do note that my P220's studs prematurely wore out due to using the ZMA's rear sprocket.

All in all I'd suggest to keep things stock, because let's face the fact, our jugaads are no match against Hero's R&D. Plus I'm back to stock now with regards to sprockets and I make by, by staying in a particular gear a tad bit longer before shifting.

I'm glad to live with that rather than run on ZMA's 40T at rear and scream at 10,000+ RPM to hit 130kmph on the interstate, worst part being the irritating redline indicator, that blinks so fast it has the potential to induce an epileptic seizure.

Quote:
I noticed that the chain on these bikes are all clip based? Is that normal? A rivet is a lot more hassle free.
The problem with rivet is that to swap chains you'd need to remove the swingarm, which can be tiresome.

Abroad they break and re-revet, In India they do not do that and I support the thought taking quality of workmanship into consideration.

The majority of motorcycles use the old type of chain that comes with a master lock, some do come without one like the NS which uses a continuous chain and can be removed and installed by taking the swingarm off.

The master lock costs Rs.20/- and it's recommended to keep one in your toolkit at all times.

Other than ease of installation and removal another advantage is that length can easily be altered with the help of a chain breaker which costs under 300/- on Amazon, had used it to increase length as ZMA sprocket was bigger.

Quote:
I've spent close to 56k+ kms with my ZMA before parting with her and I've never noticed this.

Would check on our scrap rebuild ZMA once I get back to TVM.

Quote:
Quote:
I think a low battery sensor can be installed on a bike with an ECU/FI unit with a display on the inbuilt console.

I am not sure if its possible on the carb.
The P220 is carbureted and has a Battery Warning indicator that works spot on. I know because last time I ignored it, I had to push-start a 170kg+ behemoth that didn't come with an auto-decompressor.

In spite of having a battery warning indicator, auto headlight cut off, blah blah blah... You ask any Indian who owns the motorcycle and he'd tell you that it sucks because it doesn't come with a kicker.

That Is India!
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 14:17   #126
Senior - BHPian

This thread is gone silent. Have the bikes reached showrooms in any of the cities? Anyone seen it in person? When are the test rides starting? I had booked online for a test ride and got a vague SMS from Hero motors calling these as "performance bikes" and "big boys" and that bikes will reach showroom in a few weeks time.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:21   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This thread is gone silent. Have the bikes reached showrooms in any of the cities? Anyone seen it in person? When are the test rides starting? I had booked online for a test ride and got a vague SMS from Hero motors calling these as "performance bikes" and "big boys" and that bikes will reach showroom in a few weeks time.
Today there is launch at showrooms at Bangalore and this message is received in WA group.

Quote:
We are excited to invite you for the digital launch event of Hero Xpulse, Xtreme200, Pleasure110 and MaestroEdge125Fi on Wednesday 15th May 2019 at our Hero authorised dealership
M/s Sai Motors s located @ #218, 100ft ring road, BSK 3rd stage, 3rd phase, 2nd block, Bengaluru -560085 between 5.00pm & 7.00pm.
Request you to join us and grace the event with your presence.
Regards.

For further enquiry please contact jaya 9035024281
Launch is via digital and they have bikes also on display. Test rises will take sometime I guess.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 15th May 2019 at 14:22.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 17:39   #128
BHPian

Hi,

Sai motors is the one near KIMS college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Today there is launch at showrooms at Bangalore and this message is received in WA group.

Launch is via digital and they have bikes also on display. Test rises will take sometime I guess.

KK
Old 19th May 2019, 12:05   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to an inmate here who I will not name, got a chance to take the xpulse out for a brief ride.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-483184144.jpg

1. Bike oozes presence in flesh. Killer.
2. Parts seem well finished and built.
3. Everything looks neat and tidy. No extra stuff hanging around all over the place. Just the basics.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-125434163.png

Staff explaining different levels of traction control and how to toggle between them. NOT. I was asking why the side stand indicator wasn't functioning.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20190518_094148.jpg

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20190518_094212.jpg

With the bigger bikes. She does not get lost. No sir. That long travel suspension and high slung exhaust, along with a deep side stand stance keeps her looking street smart.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20190518_0938382.jpg

The ride was very good. We test rode two more bikes in the vicinity, the Jawa 42 as well as the cb300, this was the only bike we kept remembering, all things put together. As you can see, fellow inmate above loved it.

1. Low end torque was perfectly adequate. Sprocket changes will help further.
2. No creaks or whines. It felt solid.
3. Suspension was amazing. Cs santosh has really worked his magic. Perfectly damped for city roads, and very confidence inspiring off-road. I took the bike to a heavily under construction road work project close by.
4. Light and easy to maneuver. Perfect.
5. Front 19 inch makes the bike very light and easy to flick around.
6. Gearbox was smooth. Finding neutral is iffy but I am spoilt by the versys neutral finder. There's a kill switch, so just kill it in any gear and start over. Staying in gear is safer.
7. Does not vibe anywhere in the revs you will target in the city.
8. Could easily stand and ride with no risers needed. I am about 5.9. Was perfect.
9. Super wide handle bar. Felt very relaxed. Went into a cars mirror without knowing.
10. This bike will work very well for folks between 60 and 80 kgs.
11. Clutch action was good, light, and the bite was predictable. I was slipping the clutch just a bit to let it bite and not stall, not needed.
12. The brakes were very very good for its class.

Seriously, the Himalayan needs to go get a life.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20190518_093846.jpg

Rider triangle stance seems very relaxed and easy.

It's important to keep expectations very realistic. This is a single track bike. You will not be scared of any terrain whatsoever. This bike breeds confidence. It eggs you to go try things. So what if you fall. No problem, pick up and try again. If you have the time, ride it across the country.

Don't get fooled by all the media reviews. These are guys just like you and me who always want bigger, better, faster. Work out what your needs and expectations are, before getting sucked into the media melodrama.

A 300+ series xpulse will arrive in 2 years tops.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-f94eadfa90a414a61bd6a10b134707b1.0.png

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th May 2019 at 12:25.
Red Liner is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 12:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Thanks for the quick review. Bike looks great, though to my eyes it is not comparable in size to the other two. It need not be, because those cost 4-6 times of this one.

What is your height? I see you were tiptoeing the bike. Though it would be far easier to do so than the heavy weights.

BTW funny to see the guy in Crocks n tiny skirt. No wonder the staff felt compelled to explain the features.
Old 19th May 2019, 13:10   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Thanks for the quick review. Bike looks great, though to my eyes it is not comparable in size to the other two. It need not be, because those cost 4-6 times of this one.
Like I said, the bike did not disappear at all. It had a very distinct dirt bike stance.

Quote:
What is your height? I see you were tiptoeing the bike. Though it would be far easier to do so than the heavy weights.
That is my friend. I think he is about my height, but the inseam might be different.

Quote:

BTW funny to see the guy in Crocks n tiny skirt. No wonder the staff felt compelled to explain the features.
True. He had an AGV k5 though. Hope that counts.
Old 20th May 2019, 12:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

Took a small test ride of the Xpulse200 along with Red Liner and do agree with him on most counts. Xpulse 200 felt well built and sturdy and ready to take any sort of challenge, except maybe the tarmac. This test ride bike was from the media launch and would already have gone through the grinds, still felt sturdy. Bike does feel like slightly bigger than most commuter bike on road. Its not an attention magnet, but does get a few stares on the road. Ergonomics is spot on and no immediate changes are required. We can put an inch of riser and couple of inches of lowering the footpeg to really feel like a king. Horn is meak and will need upgrade. The Engine is refined enough and revs fine for about 80% of its range, beyond which some vibes creep in. The engine is not as free revving as lets says dukes, but Its a livable one. Power is linear, and should be enough for what out city rides demand. Its not a pocket rocket and not a bike to race between signals, but more of a mature and controlled approach in supreme comfort. Exhaust note is nothing to write about, some aftermarket options may help with sound as well as weight reduction. Braking felt adequate and bite was good except at one instance where i felt the ABS kicking in and bike rolling like there is no brakes at all. But on subsequent braking attempts, it felt normal.

I would have immediately booked one except that i have a Gs310 and the two are very similar to each other. In comparison, the Xtreme200 seems like a very good VFM, and the GS310 does not offer anything drastically over and above the X200 for the premium it charges. I am still exploring the possibility of getting an x200 in the family, for my brother-in-law who rides a unicorn and is looking at upgrading. X200 seems like a very good options for out city commute, and weekends trail exploration without any fear of dropping of breaking parts/panels. If we really have to pick an area, it would be the power department where the bike could do with a bit more.
nasirkaka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 12:46   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I would have immediately booked one except that i have a Gs310 and the two are very similar to each other. In comparison, the Xtreme200 seems like a very good VFM, and the GS310 does not offer anything drastically over and above the X200 for the premium it charges.......
That is a HUGE statement, and if this is true it is a big achievement for HERO. I am now intrigued enough to go and check it out myself.

Have been longing for an adventure oriented bike and was keenly looking at either the Versys or the TRK502X, but who doesn't want to save 5 big ones if at all possible. Plus that way I can keep my RC too.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 13:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We test rode two more bikes in the vicinity, the Jawa 42 as well as the cb300, this was the only bike we kept remembering, all things put together.
Thanks for this insightful ride feedback RL and NK.
Some ride feedback on the li'l CB as well.
Old 20th May 2019, 14:08   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Have been longing for an adventure oriented bike and was keenly looking at either the Versys or the TRK502X, but who doesn't want to save 5 big ones if at all possible. Plus that way I can keep my RC too.
This is not an adventure bike by any means. It's a dirt, trail, farm bike. You get the picture. Very important for folks to temper their expectations from this bike.

If I was in Delhi, I would get this for extremely cheap, non show off, don't look at me, Himalayan exploration.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks