Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 15:46   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Quote:
That's quite worrying! Is that a common issue with the Xpulse? Or just when ridden hard? That's still no excuse for Hero of course- the bike is meant to be ridden hard, but does it happen under certain conditions?
Its not very uncommon on brakes to fail on bike, meaning reduced braking with air bubbles getting into the line. In mycase, it did not happen due to being ridden hard, but due to constant pressing on brakes. I was coming down the hill and it was slippery surface. I was holding the front brakes most of the time to prevent bike from sliding down. I guess the brake was overworked and this happened. Have heard similar cases on other bikes too. I am sure its quality related to an extent, but these bikes are made to a budget so cant complain too much.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:06   #647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Its not very uncommon on brakes to fail on bike, meaning reduced braking with air bubbles getting into the line. In mycase, it did not happen due to being ridden hard, but due to constant pressing on brakes. I was coming down the hill and it was slippery surface. I was holding the front brakes most of the time to prevent bike from sliding down. I guess the brake was overworked and this happened. Have heard similar cases on other bikes too. I am sure its quality related to an extent, but these bikes are made to a budget so cant complain too much.
I like your optimism however I wouldn't let this off lightly.

When you over work the brakes, ideally happens when you're coming down a very long and steep mountain pass you experience either the brakes seizing or your brakes fading, which is why the recommended practice is to engine brake and keep brake use to a minimum.

Brakes completely failing is an issue that needs to be looked into, it is quite common with the Xpulse as I recall sharing an incident shared by fellow enthusiast Manoj a while ago.

Do have a look at the ABS motor, and do contemplate scrapping it and installing a direct line. I know I'd get flack for this but at the end of the day brakes that work are better than being hopeful.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:25   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Its not very uncommon on brakes to fail on bike, meaning reduced braking with air bubbles getting into the line. In mycase, it did not happen due to being ridden hard, but due to constant pressing on brakes.
Yeah, I've heard of this happening but I've never experienced it. I've never gone off-road and probably never ridden any of my bikes that hard.

Still,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I like your optimism however I wouldn't let this off lightly.
+1 - budget bike or not, a brake failure is a very serious thing in my book.

Thank you both for your inputs.
Old 10th November 2021, 21:45   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Do have a look at the ABS motor, and do contemplate scrapping it and installing a direct line. I know I'd get flack for this but at the end of the day brakes that work are better than being hopeful.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
Sorry to barge into the discussion. Thanks for throwing some light here. But all the while I was thinking if for some reason the ABS fails its internally kind of a short circuit and so the normal brakes will work as is. The reason I was assuming this was because of the ABS off feature in some of the bikes and was thinking in similar lines when ABS is switched off or doesn't work, the normal brakes would work. So what I get to see from your post is that it is not so.
I know there could be separate discussion forum where this could have been discussed in depth. Could you kindly share me any reference to this?
Old 11th November 2021, 03:25   #650
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Sorry to barge into the discussion. Thanks for throwing some light here. But all the while I was thinking if for some reason the ABS fails its internally kind of a short circuit and so the normal brakes will work as is. The reason I was assuming this was because of the ABS off feature in some of the bikes and was thinking in similar lines when ABS is switched off or doesn't work, the normal brakes would work. So what I get to see from your post is that it is not so.
I know there could be separate discussion forum where this could have been discussed in depth. Could you kindly share me any reference to this?
There is a valve that disrupts input from your MC to the Caliper once this activates lever force would not be transferred to the pistons, then the fluid is stored in a temporary cavity from where it is pumped via the motor to the piston through a one way valve.

Now the assumption we make is that when the ABS fails the disruption valve isn't activated like when the ABS unit is Turned Off. This isn't true all the time, which is why at times the lever locks up but there is no brake pressure transferred to the piston.

Another faculty scenario is that the fluid keeps going to the temporary cavity instead of going to the piston, this causes the lever to go in all the way without any or reduced brake pressure being transferred to the piston.

Either way a faulty unit isn't the same as when the ABS is Turned Off/Disabled, at least with consistency.

All said, ABS should be treated as it is i.e a safety aid at best and a brake failure at worst.

Hope that helps.
Old 11th November 2021, 12:28   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you over work the brakes, ideally happens when you're coming down a very long and steep mountain pass you experience either the brakes seizing or your brakes fading, which is why the recommended practice is to engine brake and keep brake use to a minimum.
This happened while coming down from Kyatanamakki view point on a hill which is very steep and known for tough technical type terrain made worse by wet soil due to rains. Had to inch downwards slowly, step by step, so engine braking was out of question. Its like one is slowly paddling the bike down, holding the front brake all the time, releasing only a bit to descend a step or two.

Quote:
Brakes completely failing is an issue that needs to be looked into, it is quite common with the Xpulse as I recall sharing an incident shared by fellow enthusiast Manoj a while ago.
Like i said, the front brake on my bike failed only towards the end of descent, and it did not fail completely but about 50% of braking was gone. Had to press the lever much more work the brakes.

Quote:
I doubt if its related to ABS. We opened the front brake fluid reservoir and found the oil level to be much less. bled a bit from the bottom, and kept pumping the lever without much success. Than we tilted the bike on left side, so the oil level in the reservoir was almost close to the entry point while pumping the lever and master cylinder. And at that point, we could visible see good amount of air bubble escaping out from the inset and lever getting back its rigidity. put all back, and went for a test spin and brake was back to normal and abs working as intended too.Rode back to Bangalore and next morning topped up the reservoir with dot4 fluid. All is well with brakes so far post that.
In retrospect, may it it was a lax on my part not to keep a keen eye on brake oil lever, and brakes being overworked, on a difficult and incline surface, some air must have entered the system causing the issue.

I had a similar issue on my interceptor rear brake some months back. The rear tyre on the bike had to be removed for tubeless conversion while i was not present. God knows what those guys did but when i got the bike back, it was very similar feel. Press the lever, it goes down all the way and brakes hardly working. went to a near by Enfield service center and got it bled and fixed.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:21   #652
Senior - BHPian

This weekend, went on a short trail ride with a small group including a new 4V Xpulse. Got a change to ride the bike for a short distance. The bike sounds a bit different, would call it sweeter. The engine feels more rev happy and refined than BS6 but not like day and night difference. The bike felt a bit peppier and as per owner, it pulls up to 38kmph in 1st gear. Not sure how much Bs6 does. He also mentioned the 4V has different sprocketing, not sure if thats the case. Maybe i was expecting a bit more from the bike.

Anyways, it was a short spin, will need to ride a bit longer and at higher revs to get a better feel. Sharing some pics from the ride. For those (including mysefl) considering possiblity of swapping the head with 4V, i am not sure. Externally the engine header is different on both the bikes. (last engine head pic is of the 4V)
Attached Thumbnails
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-01.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-02.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-03.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-04.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-05.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-06.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 12:17   #653
Senior - BHPian

Sharing some pics from recent weekend rides around Bangalore. There is so much to explore and experience and bikes like these make it not just possible, but exciting as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-02.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-03.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-04.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-05.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-06.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-07.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-08.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-09.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-10.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-11.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-12.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 17:07   #654
BHPian

Since the past week my Xpulse 200 BS6 has been having trouble starting again after reaching operating temperature. No amount of cranking can get it to fire again once the engine is turned off.

I took it to the Hero service station at Pune (Kundan Auto, Bavdhan) and they have diagnosed that the fuel pump is faulty. The service advisor also showed me that there are no normal clicks of the pump when the key is turned off and on when the bike is warm. They do not have any fuel pump in stock so bike will remain at the service station for the next few days, till the part arrives. Hopefully this gets covered under the 5 year warranty. I have never let the fuel level drop below 1 bar, so this fuel pump failure is not caused by low fuel levels in the tank.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  38.3 KB

Odometer reading is 4004 - so this is quite a premature failure of a critical component.

Hero Motocorp - you will need to improve quality and reliability if you want to win in the adventure segment - can't imagine what would happen if this happened when I take the bike on rides into remote areas - which is what this bike is for.
shajoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 19:26   #655
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the BS6 models had issues with the Fuel Pump. My brother faced a similar problem 2 weeks ago. On the way back from a ride, he stopped on the service road to wait for us. When he tried to start, nothing was happening , the fuel pump was not priming. Tried kick starting it too but nothing was working. This happened somewhere ahead of Virar.

We called up Fortpoint Hero Mahim and they acknowledged that it would mostly be a fuel pump issue. We booked a Porter and transported the bike to their service center. A day or 2 later they confirmed that it's the fault of the fuel pump and that they would replace it under warranty. The part was ordered and the bike was delivered within a week - 0 cost. No questions asked at all in the whole process.

His bike is a Apr 2021 model with approx 5000 kms on the odo.

I believe your Xpulse also would be covered under warranty. Do check with the A.S.C and keep us updated.

I think the problem has been fixed in the 4V and they would be putting the new fuel pumps which are more reliable than the BS6 ones.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 01:45   #656
BHPian

My bike was recently shipped over and I just came to know that the bike had run almost completely dry back at my hometown thanks to some careless people. I started the bike with 2l of petrol but a very weird khat khat noise started out of nowhere. It stressed me out quite a bit and then the engine died down. I bought and put in 2.5l more petrol and then fired her back to life, the sound went away on its own. I also tried to look under the engine for potential oil leaks but found none. However, the area around the drain nut was grimy and oily (which was weird for a bike that’s been on a truck for a week). Rode back home, she rode really well. But I’m still a little bit worried. Should I be?

The Gati people also messed up the side stand and somehow misaligned then rear section of the bike. No other external damage though. Planning to visit Svc tomorrow.

That reminds me, can Pune people please help me out with finding a good Hero workshop? I’m based out of Loni Kalbhor.

Neel
Old 11th April 2022, 14:48   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe the BS6 models had issues with the Fuel Pump.

I had the same issue last week, mine is a Feb 21 BS 6 model with just 2000Km on the clock. It ran well when parked then it refused to start an hour later.
The service center confirmed that it was a faulty fuel pump and it was replaced under warranty.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:40   #658
BHPian

Update on my Xpulse - it is still in the workshop awaiting the Fuel Pump to be delivered from the Hero supply chain. The service advisor tells me that it will take another 4 days at least to procure the pump , and only some 30 min to get it fitted.

Mine is also built in Feb 2021 as per VIN - so this seems to be an endemic issue for Xpulse BS6 batches built in Feb/March 2021.

Last edited by shajoshi : 12th April 2022 at 17:42. Reason: adding another paragraph
Old 30th April 2022, 19:24   #659
BHPian

Fuel Pump update - it took Hero Motocorp supply chain 20 days to get it in the hands of my Pune dealer. The bike was delivered to me after 21 days in the showroom. Hero really needs to fix this part availability problem, imagine if I was away in the Himalayas on a ride on this bike!

Initial feel is that the fueling at idle has improved, low end torque seems to have improved, so it was starving of fuel as the old pump was failing.

The re-start problem seems to have been solved, I will confirm after running this for a few weeks.

There were 3 other Xpulse bikes that had the same fuel pump problem at the dealer - so this looks like a silent recall. No questions were asked and the pump was replaced under warranty - new part number is 16700ABW201S as per the bill.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-apr22_fuelpump_repair.jpg

The pump in the BS6 bike had a part number 16700ABW201 so hopefully the additional S in the part number means that this is a newer design where the failure problem is resolved.
Old 9th May 2022, 17:26   #660
BHPian

Haven't really done a lot of riding since my bike was transported from my hometown to Pune. Gati was pretty much a nightmare as well. Have a few issues on my bike that I have to sort out.

My bike was mistreated while it was being transported, and ended up with a side stand that was completely bent out of shape (local welder could fix it back, thankfully) and a weirdly misaligned tail section. I haven't had the time to visit a Hero SVC yet, but I'm planning to go this weekend. Can someone please help me out with this? It's stressing me out (I hope the frame is intact). I don't feel any difference when actually riding the bike, which is assuring.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-79e81430b4134a87a52c5037e2c817db.jpeg

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-9ddfe398f4cc4ab087038299da95aa79.jpeg

I'm based in Loni Kalbhor. Can someone from Pune also help me out with finding a good SVC? Thanks a lot.

Neel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks