Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:33   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Suzuki Intruder has old 3,272 units in the month of December 2017 and that's more than what Avenger 150 (2,891 units), Avenger 220 (720 units) and their own Gixxer + SF (1,756 units) sold in the same month. Seems to me a good number considering the competition, not the stupid Ad withstanding.
Apart from the overdone design, I would say it is a pretty competitive bike overall for its segment. I was invited to the official product unveil and offered a TD of a brand new bike with 70kms on odo. Being a Gixxer owner, I was immediately impressed and at home with the very familiar butter smooth refinement. Fantastic ergonomics for cruising. The engine with higher torque is better suited to cruising than the lower torque high revving unit on the avenger. The intruder pulls fantastically from low speeds in high gears than the avenger 150.
If you like the looks its simply much better than Bajaj.
It looks a lot better in real than in photos and it's substantial proportions are what the users of that category want.
It certainly attracted a lot of attention in the 7-8 kms I drove. Many thought it to be a higher capacity bike and did not feel 1.1lac price to be costly for it.

Last edited by swami.n : 3rd February 2018 at 01:36.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 22:38   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340

I usually don't visit this section anymore but since a cousin was looking forward to buy a new motorcycle i thought I'd take a peek to see what's new and the Intruder name (reminded me of the old Intruders) brought me on this thread. And then i saw the Intruder 150 I knew i had seen this profile somewhere else before.

The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340-greyangle1amitmin.jpg
Sankar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 03:26   #108
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2018 at 10:13.
Ashley Nair is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2018, 06:57   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
The intruder pulls fantastically from low speeds in high gears than the avenger 150.
If you like the looks its simply much better than Bajaj.
Why compare Avenger 150 when it costs just 81k? Even the 220 costs only 93k, which is still cheaper than the Intruder. Does Intruder pull fantastically as compared to the 220 to demand such a big price tag? I dont think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I knew i had seen this profile somewhere else before.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th February 2018 at 06:58.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 16:56   #110
BHPian

At least the advert is frank enough to own up the grotesque creature they have created by repeatedly saying "do you dare to ride this". I saw one in my rear view mirror yesterday and it certainly caught my eye. After racking my brain for which bike is it, I saw the two strange exhausts peeking sideways and I immediately realized that I have finally seen the Intruder 150!

I have a bad feeling M&M will now look to poach this designer.
Hells Bells is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 22:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why compare Avenger 150 when it costs just 81k? Even the 220 costs only 93k, which is still cheaper than the Intruder. Does Intruder pull fantastically as compared to the 220 to demand such a big price tag? I dont think so!
Comparison with Avenger is inevitable as they are the only 2 cruisers available in that engine size.
I think the intruder scores big in every other area except pricing and looks being subjective.
It has dual disc, single channel abs, a full digital console with gear position indicator. An LED projector pilot lamp. A much better driving dynamics and a superior engine. A superior handler with grippier tyres.
And it certainly would give higher kmpl too.

My gixxer averages 53+in sedate driving and 45 in normal driving. Remember its with the same 140 section rear tyres.
The intruder is just a gixxer in different clothing with a different riders triangle setup. I bet you could not get anything better than the Gixxer in its segment.

Going by your pricing for pulling logic, the P150 costs much lesser than the FZ or Gixxer and I think P180 falls in the similar price range. So that means the Yamaha and Suzuki are no good and P180 is best??
The refinement and longevity of the Yamaha and Suzuki can never be dreamt of in a P series.

The only Indian manufacturer closing the gap is TVS. What a machine they've got in the RR310

Last edited by swami.n : 4th February 2018 at 22:58.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:25   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The intruder is just a gixxer in different clothing with a different riders triangle setup. I bet you could not get anything better than the Gixxer in its segment.
What the Gixxer is, and the Intruder is not - is a well rounded package. Intruder has two major flaws - one being the ugliest in terms of looks and second being the astronomical price tag.

Gixxer range starts at Rs 77,015 ex Delhi. Wheras "Gixxer in the ugly fat clothing and different riders triangle costs" Rs 99,995 ex Delhi.

That changes the whole equation when it comes to product value. True that Gixxer is a good motorcycle for the price, but I would be interested to see you explain the value this bike provides over the Gixxer for an extra 22k.

A friend sent me this image of a brand new bike today and we just couldn't believe how someone could design it so -

The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340-img20180205wa0041.jpg

And this isn't even the view with those oversized exhausts visible.

The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340-img20180205wa0040.jpg

The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340-img20180205wa0042.jpg

Quote:
Comparison with Avenger is inevitable as they are the only 2 cruisers available in that engine size.

Going by your pricing for pulling logic, the P150 costs much lesser than the FZ or Gixxer and I think P180 falls in the similar price range.
Pulsar range is too old now to have lost its relevance. Avenger range is equally old, but thanks to such entrants like the Intruder - it suddenly seems value for money.

For example -

Quote:
It has dual disc, single channel abs, a full digital console with gear position indicator. An LED projector pilot lamp. A much better driving dynamics and a superior engine. A superior handler with grippier tyres.
And it certainly would give higher kmpl too.
ABS is the only saving grace. The engine is nowhere suited to a cruiser and you are much better off with the 220 engine. As for a few kmpl extra, the extra money saved during purchase should compensate for that.

Its a cruiser for gods sake. One that should be taken on the highway once in a while. There would be people complaining the 220 engine doesn't have adequate grunt for that usage, and he we have a poser 150 with an even bigger price tag!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2018 at 18:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 19:08   #113
BHPian

Quote:
What the Gixxer is, and the Intruder is not - is a well rounded package. Intruder has two major flaws - one being the ugliest in terms of looks and second being the astronomical price tag.

Gixxer range starts at Rs 77,015 ex Delhi. Wheras "Gixxer in the ugly fat clothing and different riders triangle costs" Rs 99,995 ex Delhi.
Comparison with a Gixxer having a rear disc and ABS would make sense when we are comparing Ex showroom here. By the way both flaws you have mentioned nowhere relates to the fantastic ride and handling package of the Gixxer beneath the skin.
The looks are always subjective, our family just hate how the previous gen swift/dzire looks (like an inverted toad-which is perfected by the Ignis :-P), but that happens to be the best selling hatch/CS. Even I don't like the rear half of the intruder a bit.

Quote:
Pulsar range is too old now to have lost its relevance. Avenger range is equally old, but thanks to such entrants like the Intruder - it suddenly seems value for money.
Avenger is a real pain in city to slice through traffic with its huge turning radius. It has got a decent straight line stability, but almost zero cornering ability. Even a slight sudden change of direction at higher speeds is nerve wracking. The Suzuki is much superior in this aspect with its mono shock. It is much easier to negotiate city traffic. I would rate it even higher than my TB350. It is only inferior to my Gixxer due to its different driver's triangle.

Quote:
ABS is the only saving grace. The engine is nowhere suited to a cruiser and you are much better off with the 220 engine. As for a few kmpl extra, the extra money saved during purchase should compensate for that.
The last time I checked, the avenger did not have a rear disc set up too on the 150. I don't know if its there on the 220 though. Its a solid 7-8kmpl more than the 150 avenger. Not aware of the 220's kmpl though. The superior tyres and the instrument cluster sure attracts a higher cost than the Bajaj. Mind you, even the ancient RE gives a much better Console on the Thunderbird than the Avenger.
Quote:
Its a cruiser for gods sake. One that should be taken on the highway once in a while. There would be people complaining the 220 engine doesn't have adequate grunt for that usage, and he we have a poser 150 with an even bigger price tag!
The Gixxer engine is no cruiser type, but miles better in cruising ability than the 150 on the bajaj. It is super refined and stress free in the 80-100kph range.
As a TB350 owner for past 12+ years, I can assure you one of the most important expectation from a cruiser is the ability to run at a higher gear in low speeds. We just don't like to rapidly downshift every time and race ahead. This is the area where the Suzuki unit is a master at and no comparison with the Bajaj's.
Though it is a puny 155cc, it can do almost everything my TB350 does without the thump or rather the vibrations.

Last edited by swami.n : 5th February 2018 at 19:18.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 10:18   #114
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki announces that over 10k units of the Intruder have been sold since launch.

Looks like we'll just have to get used to this eyesore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 10:32   #115
BANNED

The Suzuki Intruder may not be the best looker in town but the negative comments seem over the top. The bike is very nice to ride, the quality of parts is good and fit / finish is on par with the best in that class.
There are many successful vehicles on the road which won't win any beauty contests. Some of the comments seem contrived and/or motivated...or is it my imagination?

Last edited by fiestarry : 7th February 2018 at 10:34.
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 10:50   #116
Team-BHP Support

Intruder FI unveiled at the Expo -

The Suzuki 155cc Intruder. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 98,340-img_20180207_104943.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 17:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Intruder FI unveiled at the Expo -
Have they announced the price on this?
Old 8th February 2018, 11:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
The Suzuki Intruder may not be the best looker in town but the negative comments seem over the top. The bike is very nice to ride, the quality of parts is good and fit / finish is on par with the best in that class.
There are many successful vehicles on the road which won't win any beauty contests. Some of the comments seem contrived and/or motivated...or is it my imagination?
I have to agree with you. Too many bashing for looks and pricing overlooking the brilliant ride and handling package the bike is.
Suddenly people bashing its underpowered motor for cruising and what not. It can do 80-100kph cruising all day long without breaking a sweat. Which I still think is the safe speed in our country even on highways. Probably they might come up with a higher CC engine later when its ready for the Gixxer too.

Having driven it, I have already recommended it for few of my friends who wanted a comfortable family cruiser for city and felt the Avenger was too hard to manage in city with huge turning radius and a nightmare at handling change of direction in higher speeds.

And those friends really did not feel the bike to be over priced at all, due to its quality fit & finish and the super refined motor.

Last edited by swami.n : 8th February 2018 at 12:00.
swami.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 20:49   #119
BHPian

Well, I'm surprised no one has bashed it yet for a Ridiculous riding position(which is key in a cruiser). I'm sure whoever designed this, never rode a cruiser, let alone design one. Ridiculous is a mild word in this case mind you. The front foot pedal is ridiculously placed. You have to keep checking down to look where your feet are. Changing gears seems like doing an extra job you need to get paid wait for. Poor ride quality, which can't even be salvaged by a super refined engine, and fantastic pick up. If you don't feel good while you sit on it. It ain't a cruiser.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd February 2018 at 10:18. Reason: Please don't type... like.. this...
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:02   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Well, I'm surprised no one has bashed it yet for a Ridiculous riding position(which is key in a cruiser)..I'm sure whoever designed this, never rode a cruiser, let alone design one...Ridiculous is a mild word in this case mind you..the front foot pedal is ridiculously placed..you have to keep checking down to look where your feet are...Changing gears seems like doing an extra job you need to get paid wait for...poor ride quality, which can't even be salvaged by a super refined engine, and fantastic pick up...If you don't feel good while you sit on it...it ain't a cruiser...
I tend to disagree here. The ergonomics seems to be quite spot on. I am riding the TB for more than a decade and have driven the avenger extensively. The Intruder's drivers triangle is more similar to the avenger than my TB. The pegs are nicely forward set and the position of the handlebar is in between TB and Avenger. It is quite easily flickable than the Bajaj and corners extremely well due to the gixxer beneath. The poor ride quality is mainly due to the default preset the monoshocks come with. My gixxer as well was very firm and poor on bad roads initially. Moving the preload one step to the softer side made a world of a difference. But the softer setting leads to silencer bottoming out on bigger speed breakers will two heavy people on board.
The real ergonomic design defect is the position of the ignition key. They should have come up with a better option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks