Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 15:04   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

Guys, any issues with the Suzuki Access or the TVS Wego ?

Was looking at a used one, but getting not so good feedback. Any issues with pulling / clutch ?
Old 24th July 2018, 16:15   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Was looking at a used one, but getting not so good feedback. Any issues with pulling / clutch ?
It being a scooter requires that the pulley and belt be changed in fixed intervals, which is the same for all CVT scooters. The Access and Wego offering a bit more oomph would have noticeable difference in performance as the km's climb compared to the mildly set Honda's but once the consumables are changed all would be back to normal.

Access can haul loads like no other on the highways whereas the Wego with its advanced TPS and CDI which aggressively switches map based on either throttle input or load is a pleasure to haul miles on. Both choices are good when considering pricing and competition.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As far as I am aware both are quite matured products and there are no major clutch issues reported.
Some time back I was researching on a gear-less scooter especially the Activa & Jupiter/Wego (both share the same engine & transmission unit) for my spouse.
Interestingly per the owner’s manual of both these vehicles the following transmission components needs to be replaced after 24K Kms namely the clutch shoes, CVT rollers, CVT belts etc. Hence if one planning to buy a used gearless scooter having 20K Kms then one should consider these major expenses for maintenance.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 19:55   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It being a scooter requires that the pulley and belt be changed in fixed intervals, which is the same for all CVT scooters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
As far as I am aware both ... major clutch issues reported.
Thanks ! Any idea what is the typical cost of the overhaul ?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Access can haul loads like no other on the highways whereas the Wego with its advanced TPS and CDI which aggressively switches map based on either throttle input or load is a pleasure to haul miles on. .
My usage would be typically within a 6-7 km radius of home, and the rare beyond this. Average usage at this time is 200-250km a month at this time. Considering this, I dont want to get a new one. I have a reliable source for used ones, and now it is about the model. Jupiter was my first pref. Access looks better than Wego to me. Have used Dio, and didnt really like the Activa.
Old 24th July 2018, 21:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it's a pre 2012 Wego, stay away. Some posts for your reference, one of them being mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3094564

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3098988

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3095026

Anything after mid 2013 should be fine, I guess.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th July 2018 at 21:35.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 22:19   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If it's a pre 2012 Wego, stay away. Some posts for your reference, one of them being mine.
Thanks, Vikram

The Wego I was to check is a 2013, though low miles. Now looking that the other one I know about, a 2014 /15 Access. Been reading @daretodream's thread. Looking fine.
Old 25th July 2018, 11:19   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3094564

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3098988

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3095026

Anything after mid 2013 should be fine, I guess.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,

Just a FYI regarding the use of the kick starter.

On a modern motorcycle you are expected to depend on the self starter and only reserve the use of the kick starter for emergencies.

Hence why you'll notice that motorcycles with a self starter usually come with awkward kicker's or even no kickers for that matter.

Cheers.
A.P.
Old 26th July 2018, 00:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody here with a good relationship with a Service advisor @ any Suzuki scooter service centre ?
Old 26th July 2018, 16:25   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the scooter: It's an Activa-I

Aug-2013 registered, Odo shows 11.7k, but may not be true. Suspension & engine look good. Color White.

Back tyre is good, front would need replacement sometime.

Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro-img_1176.jpg
Old 26th July 2018, 17:25   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Update on the scooter: It's an Activa-I

Aug-2013 registered, Odo shows 11.7k, but may not be true. Suspension & engine look good. Color White.

Back tyre is good, front would need replacement sometime.
For the sake of safety change both Tire's at once.

In scooters the rear tire tends to wear out a lot sooner, expected life is around 10k km's for a good tire and goes up as the quality decreases. And make sure to not keep a tire past the 5 year mark, safety first!

And congratulations on the new acquisition!
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:29   #71
BHPian

Writing this post as a disappointment over TVS for making unreliable and pathetically built Jupiter. The horrible ownership experience continued with two Jupiters that have been purchased so far within last 2 years.
Both of the scoots were purchased by my GF (now fiance). I am highlighting ownership experiences and issues that i can remember in last 2 Years.

1. 2016 TVS Jupiter - standard drum equipped - Always serviced as per schedule

Up(down)grading from a Mahindra rodeo. While jupiter was under powered and lacked features of rodeo, it offered excellent stability and comfort. Ownership Nightmare started after just 1 month of purchase. It used to randomly stall when slowing down and refused to start for 3-4 seconds. This was outright dangerous sometimes. Also caused embarrassment numerous times. Stalling issue was so severe that it used to stall 6-7 times during her 5KM commute to our college. Apart from this stalling issue, It also proved to be unreliable, Leaving her stranded three times in last 2 years, Every time this happened, It refused to start, no cranking or any kind of light was working. First time this happened, the issue was found to be a blown fuse (No electrical modifications on the vehicle), while other two times, it started automatically after being towed back home by her. Battery terminals were checked after first and second occurrence of this issue but it happened again after a couple of months. Oh, and did i mention it used to stall all the times and refused to start for 3-4 seconds? I myself got fed up with this stalling issue and got the idle rpm increased. Stalling issue reduced by 50% but it also started returning even less FE. Dropping from already terrible 33kpl to 29-30kpl despite being ridden sanely between 30-45kmph.
As if this wasn't enough, at around 9000KMs on the odo and 1.5 years since it was purchased. The scoot started vibrating terribly when accelerated from standstill. Gave it to the service center and clutch assembly, bell etc were replaced. Damages? 6k because these apparently are wear and tear items. Mechanical failure at just 9000KMs and constant issue of stalling was making ownership miserable. That combined with non existent front brake bite was ensuring a very bitter ownership experience. We were convinced that we have got a lemon considering my friend's wego was doing just fine even after 9 Years. 3 months ago, at around 14,000KMs on odo, same issue of vibrations when accelerating cropped up again and this was it. Decided to ditch it for good and get a new scoot. (Its still being used occasionally by her father)

Let me summarize issues that cropped up during ownership
1. Stalling issues - stalling while slowing down and refused to start for 3-4 seconds.
2. Reliability issues - leaving owner stranded 3 times.
3. Clutch or transmission issue twice. (Poor quality components?)
4. other minor issues like poor brakes, key not opening fuel lid etc.

2. 2018 TVS Jupiter classic disc just 700KMs as on now.

Yes, she gave TVS another chance, and bought a classic disc variant. Initial impression was good. Front disc offers nice bite but those circular classic mirrors offered very poor visibility and were difficult to adjust. Nothing serious though. We were convinced that old scoot was a lemon and this ownership is not going to be a nightmare the old one's was. We were wrong. On a fine day just 5 days old jupiter refused to start. It was dragged back to home. Apparently fuse was somehow managed to get out of its socket. Installed it back in and it started fine. At 300 KMs on odo, self starter died. No self start in a brand new 15 days old jupiter. after being ridden with just kick starter for next 400KMs. It was given for a service and they said starter was jammed. Right now it is back from service center and working fine since last 3 days. (around 750KMs as of now).

Let me summarize issues that cropped up during ownership
1. Poor QA? Scoot refused to start as the fuse was out of its socket.
2. Starter motor jammed within 300KMs

How come both of her jupiters suffered such failures? Both were serviced as per recommendation and ridden sanely. Is it a case of poor design/engineering or sheer bad luck of getting two lemons?
Such issues do not seem to be limited to Jupiter. A close friend's brand new Apache RR310 came with faulty gear indicator and a plastic part near radiator broke within 400KMs of ownership. These experiences made me question about reliability of TVS vehicles. I do not have anything against TVS or any other brand. I just wanted to share ownership experience that may help a potential buyer, or maybe even TVS in removing any design/engineering flaw their vehicles may have.

ps: Mods please move it to appropriate thread if this ranting doesn't belong here.
Old 27th October 2018, 16:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Writing this post as a disappointment over TVS for making unreliable and pathetically built Jupiter.

How come both of her jupiters suffered such failures? Both were serviced as per recommendation and ridden sanely. Is it a case of poor design/engineering or sheer bad luck of getting two lemons?
Seems like your fiancee was quite unlucky and probably got the worst of the vehicles both the times. As a person who similarly moved from a Rodeo to Jupiter I didn't face any such problems with the vehicle till now with 50k on odo in just 2 years. I get between 42 - 47 kmpl in moderate to heavy traffic conditions. Of course braking is something which is pretty disappointing. I didn't particularly find the acceleration underpowered and the vehicle handles pretty well.

If not for a pathetic mileage and low underbelly I wouldn't have sold Rodeo, which was really great vehicle feature wise.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 27th October 2018 at 16:39.
Old 28th October 2018, 00:01   #73
BHPian

I have a 1 year old Jupiter with less than 1800kms on the ODO.
I've been having issues with an occasional wobble on the vehicle. I'm down to checking the air pressure every week now and maintain the company spec of 24 for front and 32 for back. I've tried both regular as well as nitrogen air but I still find that wobble at speeds between 20 - 30kmph.
I've taken it to the service centre they couldn't figure out. They didn't even acknowledge it as a problem. They inflated the air pressure to 32 on both tyres that worsened the situation.

Its been 1 year and I'm still finding the optimal riding position. I just couldn't hit the magic spot. Sometimes I end up with a bad back pain.

Any suggestions or any of you encountered similar problems let me know if you managed to fix it.
Old 28th December 2018, 10:35   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Writing this post as a disappointment over TVS for making unreliable and pathetically built Jupiter. The horrible ownership experience continued with two Jupiters that have been purchased so far within last 2 years.
Adding further update. Scooter #2 is now 1300 KMs old. Speedometer has stopped working. IIRC same thing had happened to Scooter #1 as well. I had forgotten about it totally so didn't mention in my quoted post.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th December 2018 at 11:25. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A large quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2024, 10:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a comfortable scooter for my Father who is nearing 70s.

We own a 22 year old Hero Honda Ambition which has now started to become heavy for my Father. He never asks for anything but recently spoke about replacing it with a scooter for near about rides. Coincidently his birthday is in the next month and I would like to gift him a scooter.

Personally have shortlisted:

1. Bajaj Chetak EV (His first any kind of vehicle was a Chetak!)
2. TVS iQube (Maruti Suzuki Wagon R of the scooter world)
3. Ather Rizta
4. Ather 450x

Or should I stick to the utilitarian Honda Activa and Jupiters?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks