Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 22:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Bullet 350 ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Awesome ride, Munnar seems to be closer to TSR than Kollam.

which led us to conclude that anything other than Liquid Gun performs better on the motorcycle.

BTW, next time do consider posting pictures of the motorcycle as well, also do consider Bison Valley - Suryanelli - Bodhimetu route, thumping up Bison Valley on a pushrod thumper would be nothing but ecstatic, on the TVS Wego I was climbing at around 10kmph with the throttle wide open.
Thanks!

I guess from Kollam, there are multiple routes to explore while going to Munnar. In my case, I took the easy route out of the available two.

That conclusion is spot on. I forgot to mention about the higher speeds the bullet is able to do now, without passing me the vibrations. Its now a lot more easier to reach 70 kph. However, the mileage has been reduced to below 40 kmpl after the recent full tank. May be because I was doing higher cruising speeds since the oil change.

Regarding the pictures of bullet, I always forget to take it while on trip. After finishing the trip only I remember this.

Thanks for the route tip. I am adding this route to my wishlist. How to do this while coming from Thrissur?
Old 5th November 2018, 22:56   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
That conclusion is spot on. I forgot to mention about the higher speeds the bullet is able to do now, without passing me the vibrations. Its now a lot more easier to reach 70 kph. However, the mileage has been reduced to below 40 kmpl after the recent full tank. May be because I was doing higher cruising speeds since the oil change.
The 350 motor is better than the 500 when it comes to being able to rev higher without throwing a tantrum, hence why you see enthusiasts and tuners strictly sticking to 350's over 500's.

During college I've had a bit of fun with a few 350's, the motorcycle runs best with the stock intake/exhaust configuration, in final drive you can easily do 40 to 115 kmph without breaking a sweat, though it does hit a brick wall and vibrates like crazy at WOT.

I've also had the misfortune of riding alongside a C350 which had an upswept exhaust as the owner was originally from Thiruvanvamalai, on the highways the motorcycle would feel like exploding if going north of 70 kmph, top speed he was able to achieve was around 90 kmph, that was expected as he was running a low to mid end focused exhaust while riding from Palakkad to Bangalore.

I on the other hand was on the P220 which was running on stock sprockets as the motorcycle was brand new at the time. I rode around 400 km's in 4th gear so as not to offend the other rider who was a friend of my best friend.

Only case of busted crank bearings was when a fellow enthusiast went with extended drain intervals as he was under the impression that using FS oils warrants extended drain intervals, total cost of repairs was over 20k which was a huge sum at the time, still is.

So as long as you maintain decent oil change intervals and keep the motorcycle stock you'd be covering a lot of miles before any concerns pop up.

As for FE, anything over 30kmpl is a win for this motor, the twin spark does wonders as earlier the benchmark was 20+ kmpl when pushed hard.

Quote:
Regarding the pictures of bullet, I always forget to take it while on trip. After finishing the trip only I remember this.
That used to happen to me, I regret missing out on snapping pictures on the earlier interstate runs, now I just tether a cheap point and shoot camera to my belt, so I wont miss to snap a picture even when I'm stopping for a mere bio-break.

I hate snapping pictures on the smartphone, for some reason I find them to take a lot of time to take a picture.

Quote:
Thanks for the route tip. I am adding this route to my wishlist. How to do this while coming from Thrissur?
Back then I went from Kochi to Kollam via Suryanelli as I was bored to death with the Aleppy route plus the roads were crap to ride on, could not go towards Bodhimetu as the Wego had a small fuel tank and I wasn't carrying extra fuel, plus there were no fuel bunks in Chinakkanal and I wasn't confident on purchasing fuel from the black market which is a common thing in the area.

From TSR you take the highway and at Angamaly you deviate to Perumbavoor and then head on to Suryanelli via Kothamangalam.

You'll know you've reached Bison Valley when the incline starts to get challenging, at the time of climbing I was seriously considering riding a pushrod up the valley nothing beats the pleasure of thumping up a long and progressive incline.

I've had the fortune of riding pillion on a CI Bullet a few years ago, while riding to Brimore Estate, TVM.

The motorcycle was lazily thumping at final drive, we could feel every cycle of the crank and the motorcycle was not even stressed hauling our weights uphill, if that's not character then I doubt what else is.

EDIT:

Almost forgot, do inspect your intake manifolds, especially the one between the carburetor and the air filter box, I've noticed them to be wonky as a result they come off easily and the rider would not even notice unless hauling load as the motorcycle runs fine with a little more air than normal without displaying any unusual signs on normal riding.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 5th November 2018 at 23:08.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 11:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
which led us to conclude that anything other than Liquid Gun performs better on the motorcycle.
My Himalayan has run only 1500km. Recently switched to Motul 5100 15W50 and the difference was Phenomenal. I would rather forego my warranty than ruin my engine by running with the Liquid Gun oil.
But the catch in the warranty is RE no-where has mentioned to specifically use Liquid Gun engine oil. As long as the oil meets the requirements its fine.
Old 20th September 2021, 13:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
[/b]The 346cc, single cylinder, 4 stroke, air cooled engine gives approximately the power of 20 horses at 5250 rpm and a peak torque of 28 Nm at 4000 rpm. The engine starts to life with vibrations and once you ride it in the mid-range the vibrations are minimized. The sound was refined for a 350cc engine and it did not actually sound like the bullets in the past. Thump lovers will be disappointed, but I think it is sufficient and addictive. The acceleration is steady and it is good enough for decent overtakes in the city.
RE Electra 350 has always been my favourite RE 350 since it's launch in the early 2000's. However, this very ownership review prompted me to go for the RE 350ES MY2018 (Electra350) finally. This review touched all the crucial points about the motorcycle and I am glad to have gone through it and did the right thing. It has been almost three and a half years since and have been enjoying a niggle free ownership till date. I think I have chosen the best RE in my opinion out of the entire 350cc lot at that time. Thank you!

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks