Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine

Kawasaki India has launched the 2017 Z250 in India at a price of Rs. 3.09 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The updated model gets some minor tweaks to its engine, which makes it compliant with the recently enforced BS-IV emission norms.

The Z250 is Kawasaki's entry-level naked motorcycles. It continues to be powered by the same 249 cc, liquid cooled, parallel twin engine block, which has now been tuned to be BS-IV compliant. Being mated to a 6-speed gearbox, this engine can generate 32 BHP @ 11,000 rpm and 21 Nm of torque @ 10,000 rpm.

No other changes have been made to the Z250. Suspension setup includes 37 mm telescopic forks at the front and bottom-link uni-trak with gas-charged shock and 5-way adjustable preload at the rear. Braking duties are handled by a 290 mm petal disc at the front and 220 mm petal disc at the rear. Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) is still not offered with the Z250, even as an option.

2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine-z250.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine

I am wondering if this is going to be a dead on arrival from Kawasaki.
It's predecessor, the 2016 model, used to barely manage single digit sales, as it was completely over shadowed by Duke, R3 etc.

The logical move would have been to launch a naked version of the N300 itself, and go for some weight reduction in the process (similar along the lines of N650).
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 22:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I am wondering if this is going to be a dead on arrival from Kawasaki.
It's predecessor, the 2016 model, used to barely manage single digit sales, as it was completely over shadowed by Duke, R3 etc.

The logical move would have been to launch a naked version of the N300 itself, and go for some weight reduction in the process (similar along the lines of N650).
+1 - Z300 with ABS would be the best bet - Doubtful since even the N300 doesn't sport an ABS

Z250 is an awesome bike - I took a test ride of it, and I literally wanted to run home with it. The cost is definitely on the higher side. But the way it rides and sounds is awesome.

It will be difficult to drive in heavy traffic though - Like its faired cousin N250, the power band is non-existent in lower revs.

Despite all the flaws, I'd still pick one if it was a tad cheaper.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 17:16   #4
BHPian

I cannot find any reason as to why this would take off in the Indian market. With options galore like Dominar, and KTMs, let alone the Benelli's and BMWs, this looks under-powered and over-priced (perfect recipe for DOA).

All the best to Kawasaki.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2017 at 10:53. Reason: Typo
globemaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 21:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

2017 Kawasaki Z250 launched, gets BS-IV engine

What a dumb move. Why will somebody buy a 250 cc naked, with engine dating back to its last gen? I, for eg, can see the case for Z300 though - same power as Ninja 300, but less baggage (plastic)

And it's not they they priced this very competitively either...what stops them from introducing the 300 cc engine?

This is an excellent bike let down by last gen engine and relatively high price

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 25th April 2017 at 21:28.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 00:38   #6
BHPian

Sorry to repeat - All one needs is a test ride of this bike to change their opinion. The only thing that lets this bike down is its price.

On paper this looks like such a bad proposition. One test ride changed everything. The bike is super sorted dynamically, sounds A W E S O M E, revs to heavens and is super eager.

I periodically scout for a pre-worshipped one in our own forum classifieds, OLX and Quikr to see if I can get one a good price. All my doubts about this bike vanished after one test ride

----

I am scared of going OT, but it was the same with my Fiesta (2012) Titanium+ Diesel. When it was launched I probably cursed Ford the maximum. (my comments will be around in this forum too) - It was priced 1L over Verna and even Honda City! It was also DOA.

I eventually took one test drive (last one in my list, and I thought it was customary to check all cars before deciding). That test drive sealed it for me

In love with this car after 80K kms - The best car ever. Beats my Merc C250d in handling, ride quality, ICE audio quality (difficult to believe) and I'd trust it over the merc in corners.

Quick fact: The doors of Fiesta were made of Boron steel (I used to make fun of Ford earlier as Moron Steel since it made the car very expensive. Even Merc C class doesn't have Boron Steel - Heard S class has it, and Volvos have it)

--

I might end up buying this one against all logic. (I am completely redoing my bike garage)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 26th April 2017 at 00:43.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 11:26   #7
BHPian

It's expensive but I wouldn't mind one considering I could get a Bajaj for half the price and maybe more power but it'll still be a Bajaj. A Kawasaki is something very different. The ride quality, refinement and hard core reliability on this 250 is world proven. This bike can go on for a lac+ kms with just regular services.
Old 26th April 2017, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Sorry to repeat - All one needs is a test ride of this bike to change their opinion. The only thing that lets this bike down is its price.

On paper this looks like such a bad proposition. One test ride changed everything. The bike is super sorted dynamically, sounds A W E S O M E, revs to heavens and is super eager.

I periodically scout for a pre-worshipped one in our own forum classifieds, OLX and Quikr to see if I can get one a good price. All my doubts about this bike vanished after one test ride

----

I am scared of going OT, but it was the same with my Fiesta (2012) Titanium+ Diesel. When it was launched I probably cursed Ford the maximum. (my comments will be around in this forum too) - It was priced 1L over Verna and even Honda City! It was also DOA.

I eventually took one test drive (last one in my list, and I thought it was customary to check all cars before deciding). That test drive sealed it for me

In love with this car after 80K kms - The best car ever. Beats my Merc C250d in handling, ride quality, ICE audio quality (difficult to believe) and I'd trust it over the merc in corners.

Quick fact: The doors of Fiesta were made of Boron steel (I used to make fun of Ford earlier as Moron Steel since it made the car very expensive. Even Merc C class doesn't have Boron Steel - Heard S class has it, and Volvos have it)

--

I might end up buying this one against all logic. (I am completely redoing my bike garage)
Hi Sriram, Thanks for sharing your view on Z250. I completely agree that a test ride will definitely change the impression on any bike or car. It might take from good to worst or no expectations to exceptional (Like Z250 in your case). It would be great if you can elaborate more on below parameters and your experience.

Riding stance
Gear ratio
Quality of plastics
Engine noise (Radiator, Fan sound etc)
Engine heat in traffic
Refinement
What's so exceptional in this bike which is not available in any other
Who should be the target segment for this one

Sorry for a long questionnaire, But I am also planning to add preowned Z250 to my garage and your inputs will really be helpful. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by PISTONS : 26th April 2017 at 13:18.
PISTONS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS View Post
Hi Sriram, Thanks for sharing your view on Z250. I completely agree that a test ride will definitely change the impression on any bike or car. It might take from good to worst or no expectations to exceptional (Like Z250 in your case). It would be great if you can elaborate more on below parameters and your experience.

Quote:
Riding stance
Upright tending to sporty. I love the stance

Quote:
Gear ratio
Same as N250R. The nature of engine requires probably even shorter 1st gear. I slotted the vehicle in 1st gear and had to check if I had turned it on because the vehicle was not moving after minor throttle input. (D390 / D200 just jump!)

Quote:
Quality of plastics
Excellent quality

Quote:
Engine noise (Radiator, Fan sound etc)
Engine sound is awesome - But didn't notice the noise much. (not saying it is not there)

Quote:
Engine heat in traffic
Not too bad for the ride I did

Quote:
Refinement
Ultra refined and smooth. Revs like butter and hitting 10K will become a habit.

Quote:
What's so exceptional in this bike which is not available in any other
Who should be the target segment for this one
Nothing of that sort - But, this bike seriously revvs my heart like no other - Twin cylinder smoothness, performance and sound at a premium price. Target segment is someone who has another bike for regular commute but wants to have another one (Reasonably powerful) for the weekend

Quote:
Sorry for a long questionnaire, But I am also planning to add preowned Z250 to my garage and your inputs will really be helpful. Thanks a lot.
I planning to do one too. The bike is a joy whenever I ride (twice so far). But, am thinking if I'll do justice to the bike since it works best in open roads only. (Due to its power-at-peak revs nature of engine, it is not ideal for city. You can have this as an additional bike in the garage but not as the only one (IMO)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 26th April 2017 at 17:11.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 17:35   #10
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Sriram. Once you are bitten by a Parallel twin, you will think twice if you need to pick a single. In my case, I have a Bonnie and trust me, the smoothness at it's best.

I also heard that, Z250 will never show any knocking or lugging at the lower speeds. This was one of the character I generally look in a motorcycle. This is just my preference.
Old 26th April 2017, 19:13   #11
BHPian

> 3 Lacs
> 250 cc
> No ABS
> Internet forums filled with horror stories about Kawasaki's terrible, apathetic service

Meanwhile, I spend just over 2 lacs on a KTM 390, ABS, sticky tires, incredible power, excellent service centers all over India, unparalleled performance and reliability... and there's no dearth of competition otherwise. One must question why anyone would pick a Kawasaki...

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th April 2017 at 17:37. Reason: Post edited. Please put your point across without being rude or personally attacking owners of that brand.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 15:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys just stumbled upon this thread today. One question to all the bike gurus. Which is the most competitively priced parallel twin (250-300 cc) in the Indian market today? Besides the sweet exhaust note and lesser vibrations, what are the other inherent advantages of a parallel twin over a single cylinder bike?
Old 7th June 2017, 16:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is the most competitively priced parallel twin (250-300 cc) in the Indian market today? Besides the sweet exhaust note and lesser vibrations, what are the other inherent advantages of a parallel twin over a single cylinder bike?
Unless you are adamant on parallel twin from a price to value to fun to ride point the RC390 or KTM 390 is couple of step above any other offering in this segment and i dont see even TVS being able to offer their new series (future...god knows when) at this price point. Its simply the best two wheeler one can buy at a 2-3L price point.

But since you asked my personal view is R3 > N300 and then the rest. These two is just quality while Yamaha has the rawness N300 is sublimely sweet and you cant make that engine cry, whine or moan. Both these end up with slightly higher cost of regular maintenance to replacement parts.

Regarding advantages, just google. Too many topics on this tested and dusted. My advice for anyone looking at this bike segment is just ride a KTM and decide. Have more money happily try the Ninjas. Want a rough machine that makes you really feel you are riding something that is NOT smooth yet gives that rawness pick the R3
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 16:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unless you are adamant on parallel twin from a price to value to fun to ride point the RC390 or KTM 390 is couple of step above
Fully agreed. Considering the price difference as well, it doesn't make sense buying any other motorcycle in that segment for riding fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But since you asked my personal view is R3 > N300 and then the rest.
Would not pick either, but given a choice of only these two, I wouldn't pick the Yamaha unless they sort out their quality issues. R3 and FZ25 hasn't been the same as we have known from the Yamaha of earlier times!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2017 at 16:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 11:59   #15
BHPian

Personally, I wouldn't compare the Z250/ N300 or the R3 with any bike made by Bajaj. I mean it's just not comparable. One can keep ranting about the power to weight ratios and the high spinning engines on the Bajaj KTMs and their lower sticker prices...but ultimately the Jap twins are in a different league. Refinement, real life ride-ability, and engine life are way better on the Jap twins.

I particularly didn't see any quality issues in the R3 when I rode one last year and it felt very refined and well planted. I didn't like the suspension settings but maybe those could be altered with thicker oils and better springs!

The Kawasaki twins are equally smooth but the engine lacks character and feels boring. Don't know why but the R3 felt like more fun.
Service by Kawasaki and Yamaha is not up to the mark. Parts availability is slow. If these bikes can be got at a lower price then they are gems and will keep running for a lot many thousand miles compared to Bajaj bikes.

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy raced a R3 with the new Bajaj KTM 390 and the R3 went way ahead in terms of top speed. Is it really true? Can anyone verify that? Because then it puts serious doubts about the claimed output of the KTMs

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Adding some paragraph breaks for readability :)
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks