Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 14:19   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

If you say that i have no knowledge about bikes i will take that..

i know that the bullet was made back in the day and even then it was not the best of the designes. but it was frugal and had enough power to ponder around in the old towns of england.

Why again why are we comparing it to the moderen days bikes? If you compare the current day bullet what am i going to do with all that SO CALLED TORQUE, if i am not even sure that it would let me complete my 2000 KM ride without a break down.

Take two bike one be a New bullet and one be any thing else in india. you will see more break downs in a bullet every day..

Over and Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Well Desideep I respect your opinions but I have to say this again and again that you have very limited knowledge about "bikes" and Bullet. Let me answer your answers first:

Answer 1:
Why does one need to do 20 in 4th gear? what do you want to prove?

One doesn't deliberately do 20KMPH in 4th gear it just happens coz the Bullets' CI engine with a heavy flywheel/crank is capable of that, and mind you this is not a flaw but a feature. Originally the Bullet was made for narrow city and country roads of England and not to forget the design dates back to World War II. Understand that it was a bike extensively used by the military during the war era which required motorcyles to have this kind of engineering to take on the punishing terrains. Heavy crank played a vital role here while pulling the Bullet from as low as 20KMPH with full load and a side car attached. Our very own Indian military have been using the bullet in all the past battles (read war with Pakistan in 1947, 1965 and 1971) in the desert, cold rocky mountains, inexistent roads, etc. The Bullet was chosen by the Indian Military as a Patrol bike in 1949 after extensive testing. And YES heavy crank was one of the factors that enabled the Bullet to carry heavy loads and chug at 20KMPH on fourth gear. I am telling as this coz of my Uncles(dad's elder brother) has served in the Indian Army in "The Corps of Signals" division and I've got this information from the man himself who said the Bullet was extensively used for reconnainsance due to its rugged features and capacity to haul at extremely low speeds over punishing terrain.

Answer 2:
I have other bikes (Yamaha RX, Yamaha RD 350, Karizma, Pulsar 220) and yes they are way better than in Torque Delivery when compared with Bullet.

Really that's quite a number of bikes you have. Again I repeat myself you have no knowledge about bikes. The first two bikes you've mentioned are two stroke bikes and moreover RD350 is a twin cylinder engine. Karizma and Pulsar are the 21st century bikes with EFI and twinspark incase of P220. The torque delivery of these bikes if compared with the modern UCE Bullets is less. But I am here talking about the "bottom end/low end torque delivery" and CI 350 Standard has a bottom end torque delivery better than any of these, the bottom end torque delivery of a bullet starts at idling RPM which might be roughly around 800 or so. First understand the dynamics of a big single cylinder push rod heavy crank engine and then talk.

You have got no answer for my answer 3 so I will pass it as you read the above two paragraphs you will get the answer.

"I just want to know why is bullet even compared to the New bikes, why dont the So called Hardcore bullet guys just understand that they cannot compare themselves with the new bikes."

Reply to the above paragraph: That's exactly what I am saying why is the bullet compared to modern new bikes when it belongs to a completely different era and has its own legacy which is respected by Bullet enthusiasts like Me. The new bikes aren't worthy of being compared with the iconic Bullet which dates back to our Grandfather's era and still running. I won't be able to comment on the UCE Bullets as I've ridden a friends Thunderbird Twinspark just once. My above comments are specific to the iconic Standard 350 Cast Iron.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2012 at 09:22. Reason: The last line is a personal attack. Removing.
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 17:06   #197
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Moderator Warning : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

Also, do NOT use SMS / Slang language on Team-BHP (coz is NOT because)

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Thank You

Quote:
f you say that i have no knowledge about bikes i will take that..
i know that the bullet was made back in the day and even then it was not the best of the designes. but it was frugal and had enough power to ponder around in the old towns of england
Who says that the bullet was not best of the designs. Do you know that Enfield incorporated an innovative design element: swing arm suspensionon the bullet. In 1948 they unveiled their ground-breaking new swing arm rear suspension, one of the first to do so, while most of the bikes from that era used rigid frames. While the front used a brand-new telescopic fork of Royal Enfield's own design unheard of during those days. It had a unique 'neutral-finder' lever the rider could press from any gear other than first to shift to neutral a boon to while you want to stop suddenly without downshifting and playing with gears. The Bullet was and hell still today is used for long distance border patrolling and reconnaisance by the Indian Military is it because it has a poor design?? It is the most widely used touring motorcycle by most of the foreign travellers is it because it has a poor design?? It can carry heavy loads with minimal modifications, is it because it was poorly designed?? one can attach a sidecar(although extinct today) easily to haul extra load, is it poorly designed?? Also as a long stroke undersquare engine it is bound to be frugal with adequate power similar to its competitors of the forgotten era.

Quote:
Why again why are we comparing it to the moderen days bikes? If you compare the current day bullet what am i going to do with all that SO CALLED TORQUE, if i am not even sure that it would let me complete my 2000 KM ride without a break down
I am not but you are comparing it to modern day bikes brother. Well you wont call bullet's torque as so called torque if you've ever encounteted broken/inexistent roads which will break your back, wet slushy mud, dry desert sand, river crossings with smooth and razor sharp rocks underneath, etc. and moreover you haven't read the example of the beach incident that happened in Bombay. IF you have encountered the above situations then you would understand about the SO CALLED TORQUE! There are hundreds of bikes to do a 2000KM ride but none of the bikes guarantee whether it will breakdown or not! You are not sure because you are not confident about the Bullet, but that isn't the case with me and brothers who ride the Bullet coz Bullets make mechanics out of their riders and to Bullet Brothers it is like this famous tag line "Just another day at the office for the Tiger". We who know the Bullet in and out can repair it on our own and what makes us do that. YES it is the passion and enthusiasm that makes us pamper the Bullet and in turn it pampers us with its glorious ride and thump munching away miles.

Quote:
Take two bike one be a New bullet and one be any thing else in india. you will see more break downs in a bullet every day..
It's not a bike for you, this may sound a cliche but it is true in mycase. "You don't choose the Bullet the Bullet chooses YOU" and "You don't ride the machine the machine rides YOU". Silly as it sounds but it is the same for all bullet brothers like me and it aint sound funny to me or to my Bullet Brothers coz our heart rules the mind and not the other way round. If you think that the Bullet will breakdown then you can choose from many options that are available. I can see your frustration in your words so dont torture yourself with a Bullet, get rid of it immediately and buy yourself a "niggle free bike".

Quote:
You seem to be living in a denial mode if you happy with that its good for you.
Oh is it! I think you are in the denial mode brother because you are fed up of the Bullet. I am not living in the denial mode else I wouldn't have bought my second vintage classic(1961 Bullet CI 350). Ofcourse am happy and so are brothers who are passionately ride Bullets coz we aint thinking about the issues, problems or breakdowns we just RIDE. Again I repeat myself PASSIONATE and TRUE Bullet riders are a different and breed like the Jaguar(Jungle Cat) which is very rare and special. Also you will rarely come across a Genuine Bullet Enthusiast coz there aint many.

I am not here to justify that there is no bike better than the Bullet but there is no denying Bullet is not like other bikes.

Over and Out.

Yes Come In.

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2012 at 14:27.
Old 10th February 2013, 23:34   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Who says that the bullet was not best of the designs.
A die-hard Bullet fan! But I don't understand why you insist that "Bullet" should not be compared with other bikes? As long as it is in production, anyone has the right to compare it with other bikes. Offcourse, it is unfair to compare a classic with a modern bike-the bullet admittedly has it's own quirks, flaws and merits. It is also an undeniable fact that it is much inferior in technology and performance( without making any allowances to it's age and design) outright.Modern jap bikes too have a number of strong points to which no bullet can hold a candle.But still Bullet sells -solely due to certain admirable qualities, which need not be repeated. But does that mean all other bikes are inferior and those who speak for them " do not know Bullet"? Biking nirvana should not confine in a "thump" alone. You have every right to admire "Bullet" but it will be as well that you respect other people's feelings and take criticisms with a sporting spirit.( By the way, I am planning to buy a std 350 uce but intends to keep my Unicorn ( the reliability of which I believe to be 10 times more than any bullet)for daily commute)

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 10th February 2013 at 23:36.
Ashley Nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 10:53   #199
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ashley,

Nice to know that you are planning to buy a RE Bullet Standard 350 UCE. My views and opinions are based on the RE Standard 350 CI(old model) as I own two of those. I said that a Standard 350 CI shouldn't be compared with the modern bikes as it runs on CB points, Push rod type engine having archaic carburetor setup. Coming back to modern bikes especially from the Japanese(Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha commuter class 100, 150 and 250cc types) and our good old Indian Stable (TVS, Bajaj and Hero 100, 150, 180 and 220cc types) not all but most have either EFI or CDI, electric start, etc. Agreed that to most of the riders err commuters out there reliabillity is of utmost importance and they get that in today's modern bikes. As I had mentioned before most of the RE Standard CI Bullet riders are passionate about their steeds and this transforms them into mechanics. Atleast I can troubleshoot some problems in a bullet and 4 out of 5 times I am able to solve the problem, if the problem is more complicated I take it to a dedicated mechanic. I have never said that today's bikes are inferior compared to a Bullet CI again I can't say about new UCE Bullets as I haven't owned or ridden one. So if you are comparing today's bikes with UCE Bullet I am afraid I dont know much about that, but an Old CI bullet's design and technology are from the 50's except a few changes like transformation from 6 volt to 12 volt, double leading drum brakes, mikuni carb, etc. rest all are the same. I respect other bikers and their steeds but when anyone who doesn't have an iota of knowledge about the iconic CI Bullet compares it with today's bikes makes me think have they ever owned/ridden a CI bullet and if yes for how long. I can understand if one compares RE CI Bullet to yesteryears Norton, Triumph, BSA, Matchless, etc. then it is a different ball game altogether.

Let me quote an example: Like you am a Mallu and had been to Kannur(my native) this year(visited Kerala almost after 8 and a half years) to my surprise I saw so many CI standard bullets that I was surprised and told my family that this place is a Bullet Paradise, all of the CI Standard Bullets I saw were pristinely maintained. One day I went to the Kannur market and saw a couple of CI Standard Bullets parked with their owners standing by, I approached them as and acted like a Bullet hater. I asked them in my native language why is it that they still ride the unreliable CI Standard Bullet with so many niggles. The answer I got was "Because when you ride the Bullet you forget everything!" Again had been to Payyambalam Beach and St.Angelo's Fort in Kannur and saw some CI standard Bullet with their owners(middle aged) I again approached them as a Bullet Hater and asked them the same question in my native language and the reply I got was "Ningal eppalu Bullet oodhichitu undo?"(Have you ever ridden a bullet?) I said yes I own one and have been tired of taking care of it due to the constant niggles, rust and unreliable nature. The reply I got was "Njammal aadthu onnu vijarekkunu illa, Bullet Kandalu thanne ee tension okke marum." (We dont think about all these problems, the moment we see our Bullets all these problems vanish from our mind) I smiled and walked on and dare didn't asked them Why Enfield Bullet?

Ride Hard,
Navin_V8.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 12:04   #200
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Why Enfield Bullet? Hmmmmm lets see .....

1) Its heavy and feels solid. No other Indian bike has the same weight and heft. Especially important to big guys tired of being perched on smaller bikes.

2) Its a brand built by history and the community, an image (cool, macho), an aspirational lifestyle statement. A compensatory trophy for a price if you must.

3) Perfect for carrying a pillion and half your house on a ride with you. No other bike does it better without breaking a sweat or straining.

4) The feel and the sound is a big attraction. It certainly has a charm of its own, especially for a lot of riders who would like to kick back and not go 200+ kmph all the while.

5) It looks cool, has a lot of chrome and metal, and is perfect for waxing and shining and looking like a million bucks.

6) The weight and size do give the bike a certain inherent stability at straightline highway running speeds, and offer a feeling of comfort and safety to the rider and pillion.

7) Comfortable riding position and seat.

8) Quite simply, its a rite of passage into manhood for most Indian males. An itch that must be scratched at least once in life before moving on. Nothing makes you feel 7 feet tall 5 feet wide and instantly grows hair on your chest as riding a Bullet does.

That is the plain unvarnished truth.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 12:48   #201
BHPian

Any time I come across the question "Why Bullet?", I remember a distinct statement I had read long back in an automotive book(I donot remember the name), in my college library.

That book had all the sales figures of all the bikes available in India and a describing statement about each bike. It had statements like "This bike is a no nonsense commuter", "That bike is a stylish bike for college students" etc etc. I cannot remember what bikes had what statements. The only thing I can remember till date is the statement for RE.

The statement was "When you buy an RE, you are not just buying a bike but marrying into a new family". While reading that statement is when I made a decision to buy RE and a few years later that statement was still imprinted in my mind and that is when I bought the Thunderbird in 2005.

I bought my bike for 85k on road, way back in 2005. People are ready to pay 70k to 75k even today, 8yrs later.

Can anyone come up with one bike, which is still in production and has been facelifted and upgraded multiple times but still fetches you 80 to 85% of the price you spent whicle purchasing it? I doubt.

I donot say its the perfect bike, but no bike is. RE has more problems than most bikes put together. But that is not the point. The point is, the emotions and feelings attached with a bullet makes it invaluable and makes us forget all the negatives.

"Price of a pen may be rs. 10, but the value of the same pen when gifted by a special person becomes invaluable. When emotions are attached, the value is immeasurable."
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 20:16   #202
BHPian

Quote:
I said that a Standard 350 CI shouldn't be compared with the modern bikes as it runs on CB points, Push rod type engine having archaic carburetor setup.
Fairly said and fairly taken as well. Friend, I too like the CI for the very "problems"( read oil leak, cb points going kaput, quirky gear/brake positioning and so on). It is the very same retro technology and quirks that lends it "character" that none of the other Indian Bikes, save maybe an RD, have. I plan to buy a UCE not because I despise a CI but because the owners of CI's quote skyhigh prices and ( though I like it) I have no time or money at present to restore an old Bullet. To my great dismay, a military Bullet which was owned by a close relative( who didn't knew its value) was robbed by a dealer for a measly 15000INR
Quote:
When emotions are attached, the value is immeasurable."
Beautiful statement!

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 11th February 2013 at 20:19.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 09:44   #203
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ashley you're right brother when you say today owner's are asking sky high prices for a CI bullet. I have watched this trend catch up after RE stopped the production of CI in late 2010. Believe me I bought my used CI Standard Bullet in Apr 2010 for half the price for what it is available for today. After I bought the prices sky rocketed because the loveable CI standard 350 was no longer in production. This sent the potential passionate as well as wannabe buyers into a frenzy of buying CI's at whatever prices quoted. The mechs/dealers made the hay while the sun shined and laughed their way to the banks, they still are doing it.

I know I may not sound logical but it's all about your love and passion for the CI Bullet that helps you find a Bullet made for you. Let me share my example I had actually gone to search for a Bullet for my friend and buying one for myself was nowhere on the radar. The first look at my present bike and I was sold over it, my good luck that my friend rejected it as he wanted a CI 500 Bullet. I immediately asked for a quote from the mech and bought it in a week's time(The mech was known to me as I had visited his shop when I was a teenager a wannabe who was looking to buy a Bullet to impress others) But here I was in 2010 a grown up CI Bullet enthusiast/admirer. My hunger didn't end there after buying the Standard CI 350, somehow I wanted one more Bullet but this time an old vintage classic one. One day I just casually went to meet the mech(he is now like a friend) and saw a really old CI Bullet 350, I recognized it by its front and rear fenders, front and rear hubs, G2 engine, heavy crank, etc. I said this one is made for me. I asked the mech and he confirmed that it was an old vintage CI Bullet made in 1961 with original fittings and the cherry on the cake was it was a ex-military bullet with heavy duty military specs. Now leaving the technical details aside I asked the mech for a quote and he said it is not for sale as the papers aren't in order and he will be sending it back to where it came from. My heart sank and I told him if ever you want to sell it don't forget to call me, one day on a sunday evening he calls me to say that the papers have reached and if I would still be interested. I immediately said yes and paid him the token. Again the price he quoted me was way below the market price for a Vintage Classic CI 350. I was delighted and excited like a 5 year old who got his new bicycle. The bike is under restoration and I will get it soon. My family and friends are calling me mad for having two same bikes. But what do you tell people who consider CI Bullet as a "bike". For me it ain't a bike but a companion. Why Enfield Bullet? May be this question will continue to intrigue me everytime I ride my CI Standard Bullets.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th February 2013 at 09:49. Reason: grammatical error
Old 12th February 2013, 11:27   #204
BHPian

As a former Bulleteer, every time I read this thread it is nostalgic for me. I still have the Vintage Classic CI Bullet 350. But it is getting rusted as I don't use it for the last 10 years. May be I should sell it to someone who will care for it. All these days I never wanted to sell it. I hated to sell the stead that was my ride for 2 decades.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:37   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As a former Bulleteer, every time I read this thread it is nostalgic for me. I still have the Vintage Classic CI Bullet 350. But it is getting rusted as I don't use it for the last 10 years. May be I should sell it to someone who will care for it. All these days I never wanted to sell it. I hated to sell the stead that was my ride for 2 decades.
Why don't you do her up with the basic mechanicals (no need for fancy painting, chroming, buffing), change all fluids, battery, and tyres, and just run her once in a week or two. That's all the Bull really needs.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why don't you do her up with the basic mechanicals (no need for fancy painting, chroming, buffing), change all fluids, battery, and tyres, and just run her once in a week or two. That's all the Bull really needs.
She is from 1967. I need to hunt for the papers and I am not sure about the road tax. I paid life time road tax once.
May be I should seriously consider doing her up.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:52   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She is from 1967. I need to hunt for the papers and I am not sure about the road tax. I paid life time road tax once.
All the more reason you should give her some TLC after all these years. You are based in Chennai. Neither parts nor good old time mechanics (or machinists where needed) will be a problem.

The metallurgy and build quality in those old Bulls is so much better than the newer Bulls. Nothing happens to those bikes. I am pretty sure within 15-20K you can make her all gleaming new. Something that will easily fetch you upward of a lac were you ever to sell her.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th February 2013 at 12:53.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 16:25   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Prowler. Should you decide doing her up and incase you are looking for a genuine mechanic, I can help you out.

OT: I can still remember a 1960s bullet racing with my 1yr old Thunderbird in 2006 when we had a bullet trip to yercaud. The guy was actually able to compete toe to toe with me, though he was running a machine 40odd yrs older than mine.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 17:41   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Yes Prowler. Should you decide doing her up and incase you are looking for a genuine mechanic, I can help you out.
I remember this guy Sivasankar who had worked on my 500 in 2004 when I was enroute on my All-India ride.

His mobile is 9381049281. He is really good.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 10:11   #210
BHPian

I wish if I could buy a 1980 Royal Enfield. Its my Birth Year . And will pass it down to coming generations. Thats why bullet is special. You can find an old bullet may be as old as your granpa.

Most Viewed