Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 01:00   #631
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I was curious and asked a friend and fellow enthusiast who used to work for KTM.
======
A personal concern I have with getting a motorcycle serviced at the ASC or by someone other than myself out of my purview is that I really cannot keep track of all the changes made to the motorcycle and hence I'm left in a state of confusion when something goes amiss, a major concern when riding afar....
Thanks Ashwin.
I had all the services done at same ASC and there was no change in fuse(i am not informed about any). The supervisor guy to whom i talked and sent the pics to , was not having an idea about this unit. He asked me to wait for his call back. By the time this unit cooled back and since I was within a km from home , decided to ride back. Console was normal and bike started, rode back home and as soon as i reached , jumped out , took out the pillion seat and there it was burning again with smoke.

Waited for some time and it cooled down. Got call back from ASC , supervisor and he asked not to start the bike and to wait for them to arrange an inspection.

I tried to remove the wires from the unit, but seems it has all melted and fused together.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th July 2020 at 06:45. Reason: edited quoted post
Ethnicul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 20:34   #632
BHPian

Dear Mods, sharing my experiences of getting my Dominar (2019) serviced at Bajaj Auto's auth service centre (Kanchan Bajaj) in Thane.

In case this post does not belong here please shift it to the required forum.

I own a Bajaj Dominar of May 2019 model. Due to various reasons my bike has hardly been used during the past year (except for a amazing TEAM-BHP meet) and clocked up only 2000 kms. The 3rd service (1 year) become due end of May but i was in no hurry as Bajaj had extended its deadlines by 3 months. After multiple follow up calls from the workshop i took it for the service on 20th June.

The Service advisor at the outlet (looks a little shady by his behaviour - any BHP-ian who has got his motorcycle serviced there may share his experience) took me aside to mention in a hushed tone that "Engine Oil" (Bajaj authorised) was not available and they could get Motul full-synthetic oil (he mentioned the brand name specifically) from a store outside if i was ok with it.

Though taken aback a little i said yes to it as in any case i was using Motul in my RE Classic (had it prior to buying the Dominar) and was quite happy with it. He sent a junior attendant to get it and charged me on MRP for it (was not recorded on the bill anywhere for obvious reasons). Saw him doing this to other customers who had come to get their bikes serviced. Made me wonder about his 'cut' from the oil retail store.

The Dominar oil chamber requires 1700 ml of oil (googled it up when i had a doubt after coming home - should have checked it at the workshop itself) but the Motul can came in 1500 ml and no one at the workshop informed me that my bike had 200 ml less in its chamber.

I was watching the service across the glass partition wherein i realised that the service attendant had not changed the oil filter (mandatory after a oil chage) after the oil change. on confronting him with it he sheepishly mentioned that they were out of oil filters also.

Rather than creating a scene at the workshop itself, came back home and wrote a mail to the Area Service Manager of Bajaj Auto with a cc to the workshop head. Got a call back immediatley with the usual apology and promise to look into the same. Got busy with work and haven't had time to follow up on it since.

Really did not expect this from Bajaj Auto service. Why call me for the service if you dont have neither the oil nor the oil filter.
ThePatientMan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:51   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatientMan View Post
Dear Mods, sharing my experiences of getting my Dominar (2019) serviced at Bajaj Auto's auth service centre (Kanchan Bajaj) in Thane.
I feel Bajaj supply chain is severely affected due to Covid. I got my RC390 serviced last week and they were out of stock few items too. A guy went out to Bajaj center to get cone set. I can understand that as it is not a common replacement item but engine oil and oil filters!!! This is terrible.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 23:05   #634
BHPian

Quote:
in a hushed tone
I think this was a red flag in itself.
I have had prior experiences in Hero Service centers where if they are out of stock on any item they will boldly mention it before taking in the vehicle in presence of other higher up staff members, And if I want a after market alternative then I need to bring it as it's not their responsibility. What they instead offered was a non-labor charge service as soon as that particular item(s) are available but only if the bike needed immediate servicing else they will simply ask to come later.

I think the Service advisor in your case managed to con quite a few owners in your case and it might be entirely possible that it was done with permission from higher up's as in any case due to less oil bikes will be returning to Service center and since there is no mention and owners themselves agreed for different oil so they can brush off their hands easily
darkLightning is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 00:43   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
Got call back from ASC , supervisor and he asked not to start the bike and to wait for them to arrange an inspection.
Follow up: All fuse intact and all on correct ampere ratings. Called service center supervisor today. He didn't even recollect that he had promised to arrange for an inspection. He was saying he could arrange the damaged part, but I have to replace it myself. Said OK and straight away mailed Bajaj customer service with pics of damaged part and after 10 mins got a call back from ASC, asking why I have escalated.
When they have agreed to pick up my bike next day.

Anyways, since I wanted to get the issue fixed ASAP, didn't bother to fight this time. Agreed for pickup tomorrow. Lets see what they are going to come up with.

Note from Support: Multiple typos & grammatical errors fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2020 at 04:09. Reason: See note. Additional smileys removed.
Ethnicul is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th July 2020, 11:27   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Service advisor at the outlet (looks a little shady by his behaviour - any BHP-ian who has got his motorcycle serviced there may share his experience) took me aside to mention in a hushed tone that "Engine Oil" (Bajaj authorised) was not available and they could get Motul full-synthetic oil (he mentioned the brand name specifically) from a store outside if i was ok with it.

Though taken aback a little i said yes to it as in any case i was using Motul in my RE Classic (had it prior to buying the Dominar) and was quite happy with it. He sent a junior attendant to get it and charged me on MRP for it (was not recorded on the bill anywhere for obvious reasons). Saw him doing this to other customers who had come to get their bikes serviced. Made me wonder about his 'cut' from the oil retail store.
You really should write to Bajaj customer care with details of this. Such things are obviously happening with the blessings of the higher ups in the dealership.

Tomorrow if your bike has some engine related warranty claims and you take your bike to another service center, they can / may deny it saying that an aftermarket engine oil is used and not the Bajaj recommended oil. You also do not have any proof of the financial transaction for the same taking place as proof. These are all big red flags, do raise this up with the concerned authorities over email at the earliest and follow up on the same.

Also did they charge you for the oil filter the first time? I have heard of instances where Bajaj service centers were charging for parts like filters though they were not replaced.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th July 2020 at 11:28.
Old 29th July 2020, 15:17   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I feel Bajaj supply chain is severely affected due to Covid. I got my RC390 serviced last week and they were out of stock few items too. This is terrible.
@asst.ggn - Thanks for seconding my thoughts. Oil and oil filters are standard replacement items and they did't have either in stock. I completely understand supply issues due to COVID. My point is, why call me if you don't have parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
I think this was a red flag in itself.
I have had prior experiences in Hero Service centers where if they are out of stock on any item they will boldly mention it before taking in the vehicle in presence of other higher up staff members, And if I want a after market alternative then I need to bring it as it's not their responsibility.

I think the Service advisor in your case managed to con quite a few owners in your case and it might be entirely possible that it was done with permission from higher up's as in any case due to less oil bikes will be returning to Service center and since there is no mention and owners themselves agreed for different oil so they can brush off their hands easily
I would have been very happy if they would have done that (mentioned the un-availability of parts / spares). Quite possible. So i wrote to the Area Service Manager of Bajaj Auto with a cc to the workshop head. Hope someone at Bajaj takes notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
You really should write to Bajaj customer care with details of this. Such things are obviously happening with the blessings of the higher ups in the dealership.

Tomorrow if your bike has some engine related warranty claims and you take your bike to another service center, they can / may deny it saying that an aftermarket engine oil is used and not the Bajaj recommended oil.

Also did they charge you for the oil filter the first time? I have heard of instances where Bajaj service centers were charging for parts like filters though they were not replaced.
@neil.jericho - Completely agree. Wrote a mail to the Bajaj ASM immediately (as mentioned in my post). Maybe i should not have got the oil changed then. I will write to Bajaj customer care but please help with any contact details of higher-ups in Bajaj Auto if possible so that i can bring it to their notice. No they did not. Probably because i was watching the service process across the glass partition and raised a query when i did not see the oil filter getting replaced
Old 29th July 2020, 15:45   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Kanchan Bajaj) in Thane.

Really did not expect this from Bajaj Auto service. Why call me for the service if you dont have neither the oil nor the oil filter.
I also get my Doniar serviced here. They are a better lot out of the remaining.

The short supply of parts has been hit across all brands, they should have mentioned this prior to giving an appointment.

Regarding the Motul Engine oil, I have seen it across 3 different Dealers and it was offered to me as choice. I also selected Motul at a premium and was given a separate invoice for it. As long as they fill this oil from an unopened can in front of you, no harm!

But yes, the service levels are seriously lacking from Bajaj, considering that the Dominar is their flagship model.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:05   #639
BHPian

Quote:
It is basically the unit as the name says Terminates or Kills the motor for the purpose of safety i.e when you try to shift into gear with the side stand down etc. He has never heard of it catching fire and is uncertain to what the cause is. A.P.
Ashwin,

My knowledge in electricals is poor but I managed to find this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

This article says:

"The CAN bus must be terminated. The termination resistors are needed to suppress reflections as well as return the bus to its recessive or idle state."

Duke shop manual mentions it only once and that too only in a circuit diagram. They called it "CAN bus termination resistor".

NS200 with Carb and no ABS doesn't have it. RS200/NS200 and all Bajaj with ABS have this unit.

I checked the catalogues/manuals of CBR250R, etc but couldn't find such a thing - may be it's integrated, use a different name or CAN bus is not used.
ashwanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:44   #640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post
Ashwin,

My knowledge in electricals is poor but I managed to find this:
Same is my case my friend, hence why I despise digital machines.

Though jokes apart, Wiki is not your friend when it comes to such matters.

Hopefully a fellow enthusiast who owns the same motorcycle is your best bet. If you're facing concerns then a potent OBD tool is your best friend.

Times have changed, you cannot live without a modern motorcycle but having been used to old-school machines the transition isn't any bit easier. Darn it!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Ashwin.
I had all the services done at same ASC
I really am sorry my friend, I somehow missed your earlier quote, I hope your issue has been resolved.

Guess I'm getting too old for online forums.

Wish you a safe ride.
A.P.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd January 2021 at 17:51. Reason: Merged the posts. Thanks
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:55   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Though jokes apart, Wiki is not your friend when it comes to such matters.
Yes, but I couldn't find any other source except a few KTM online forums. I had an Immunology professor at college who would find out if we wrote our answers from Wiki

Quote:
Times have changed, you cannot live without a modern motorcycle but having been used to old-school machines the transition isn't any bit easier. Darn it!!!!
I welcome the change. I wonder what we will be riding 10 years from now - A humming traction motor driven KTM.

Quote:
Guess I'm getting too old for online forums.
No subtle tip offs and slipping away. Keep posting

Last edited by ashwanth : 22nd January 2021 at 20:56.
ashwanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 21:08   #642
BHPian

Can anyone send me the repair/shop manual for 2017-2018 dominar 400 ? Thanks in advance
Old 8th March 2021, 16:55   #643

I recently moved to Old Alwal, Secunderabad. Does anyone know a Bajaj service centre in or around Old Alwal?
Old 10th March 2021, 11:59   #644
BHPian

Quote:
.... Anyways, since I wanted to get the issue fixed ASAP, didn't bother to fight this time. Agreed for pickup tomorrow. Lets see what they are going to come up with...
Hi,
Was the issue resolved? What was the cause for the part's failure?
-Regards
Old 21st April 2021, 21:46   #645

Long time lurker first time poster here. I wanted to get started on my teamBHP forum journey by recounting how I ended up selecting and purchasing the D400.

Purchasing a new bike:

I’ve been driving the OG Bajaj Pulsar 180 for about 17 years now. It’s a great bike, but it was time for me to upgrade. The Pulsar wasn’t able to do much except for short commutes or trips inside the city.

I started out with a budget and things that were important to me, in order of priority:

1. Budget 2.5L onroad (including everything)
2. Fun to drive (hard to quantify)
3. Go anywhere type, a comfortable riding position for long drives
4. Comfortable for pillion
5. Good service/repair network

I made a spreadsheet of candidates, first by eliminating all bikes above my budget and then reading up all bikes that piqued my interest. Interestingly, the Dominar 400 was not in my initial shortlist (more on this later). After a several of test drives of many bikes, I finally settled on the RE Himalayan. It seemed to cover all my requirements.

The first test drive I did on the Himalayan was a huge disappointment. The showroom, though highly rated on Google Maps, was awful. The salesman just opened up an iPad and showed me the specs on the RE website. He seemed uninterested and had no knowledge about the Himalayan’s previous versions’ problems. They also did not have the 2021 available for test drive. They had the 2020 version, which has the same bs6 engine. I had no complaints about the engine, but the bike itself was more jangly than a government state transport bus. The salesman said this was because the test drive bike was heavily used.

I went to a different RE showroom a few days later. They had the 2021 version available to test drive. It felt like a great bike. No strange shaking or noises. Unfortunately the wait time for the Himalayan was 4 months! I decided to pay the 10K refundable deposit. I had already finalised the Himalayan, so it made sense to put down the deposit. If, for whatever reason, a dealbreaker came up, I had about 4 months to cancel.

I was a bit tentative about a few things:

1. the tubed tyres - I’ve had enough bad experiences with punctures that tubed tyres were something I wanted (but not a dealbreaker)
2. The tripper module is a terrible addition when compared to just adding a mobile phone holder. The screen is small - the actual display is just the top 3/4th hemisphere of the circular dial. The red arrows don’t give enough context for the directions. Indian roads and crossroads are complicated, its easier to navigate with the Google maps screen which shows the bike location overlaid on a map. This gives context on what’s coming up and which turns to take. The red arrows of the tripper module were not precise enough for me.
4. The overall 10K increase in price from the 2020 BS6 version didn’t sit right with me, especially with the the tripper module being the most visible “upgrade”.

Fast-forward a few weeks and I was passively reading about the Himalayan when I came across the Dominar 400. A lot of people seem to like comparing them. Although they are not in the exact same segment, they’re both tourers and cost almost the same amount, so the comparison is inevitable. I checked why I had originally eliminated the D400 from my shortlist - since it shares the same engine as the the KTM 390, I had assumed it would too excitable for me (even with the de-tuning), and with the association with KTM I assumed the riding position would be too aggressive for me.

The argument I was seeing a lot was that while the Himalayan is a great bike overall, the D400 would be a better choice when considering the fact that I will be spending most of my time in the city.

Although I wanted a go anywhere type of bike, the reality is that I will spending most of my time in the city (driving the bike everyday in the city, but not necessarily going long distances), and most of my mileage on the highway (long highway rides, maybe a few times a month).
Even discounting the fact that Indian roads are bad, I would be doing almost no off-roading, thereby eliminating the relevance of the Himalayan’s main strong point.
I don’t mind off-roading but I don’t see myself doing too much of it regularly.
Arguably the D400 is better in the city and for touring.

Given that I had missed the D400 in my initial shortlist, I revisited my shortlist with much more vigour and attention to detail. I didn’t find another bike that could potentially dethrone the Himalayan except for the D400.

I test drove a D400 a few times. It was within budget, much more fun to drive, it has a comfortable riding position and pillion seat (though not as comfortable as a Himalayan). With relatively few modification, I’ve seen people make it a fantastic tourer and also usable off-road (mostly just changing the tyres).

My first hand experience owning a Bajaj Pulsar for 17 years has been quite good, so I was reasonably comfortable purchasing the D400, despite the “advanced” electronics and more moving parts (liquid cooling etc.). Also the D400 had a wait time of only 8 days.

After thinking about it a bit, I decided to go ahead with the D400. So far its been a lot of fun driving the bike. I do have a few small complaints:

1. The running-in speed limits mentioned in the owner’s manual basically keep the bike under 3K rpm. The bike seems “uncomfortable” under 3K rpm. It feels like the engine is just about to lug, so I have to keep changing gears. The bike is much more comfortable to drive above 3k rpm.
2. I don’t like digital displays. At the very least the tachometer needs to be analogue. The on-tank display is useless while driving, thankfully the gear position indicator can be moved to the main display.
3. I wish the bike was available in more colours. I would have loved it in white.

Do I regret not getting the Himalayan?
I don’t know. Its a great bike and I’m sure I would have enjoyed driving it too, but I think the D400 is better suited for me and my use case. I think the Himalayan is a beautiful bike that is immediately noticed on the road. The D400 doesn’t stand out in a crowd of vehicles, but when you do take it all in I think it looks great too. Most people don’t give it a second look until they hear the exhaust sound, after which they look at the bike very curiously - this happens a lot at red-lights. For me the bike is about driving not looking, so I don’t mind if the D400 has forgettable looks.

My immediate next step is get my refundable deposit back from the RE showroom, which is turning out to be difficult during this lockdown.

I'd love to connect with Dominar owners in Pune, so please reach out.
the_end is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks