Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 12:49   #616
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Yesterday, due to heavy rains, My Dominar had to swim in a pool of water on Hosur Road. Although, just a week back, I had cleaned the chain and lubed it, yesterday after getting into swimming pool, I am not sure if the lube continues to stay and work as earlier.

Then, I got this question to my self. Why are these manufacturers behind removing the chain guard boxes for all bikes?
What sporty or beauty can a bike gain just because, a chain is made naked by removing the box?

I consider this removal of chain protection box (The one available in lower cc bikes like Unicorn) to be a big disadvantage to the chain
1. Chain getting exposed to wet condition/dirt condition
2. Frequent cleaning and lubing required

Hence, am interested to put a box around the chain like in Unicorn if possible for my Dominar. Am not worried about the looks OR sportiness of the bike

Can someone throw some light if this is done earlier? If yes, How? Where? which bikes chain box suits Dominar ? Please help
I'm no expert, but I read that the reason that the more powerful / sporty bikes have exposed chains have to do with heat generated. If this is true then it would be a very bad idea to cover up your Dominar's chain with a box.

Also, I doubt that covering up the chain would mean less maintenance or a cleaner / drier chain, because as others have pointed out, they're not waterproof anyway.

Again, I'm not an expert, so please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 16th July 2019, 11:10   #617
BHPian

This is on behalf of my friend who is not in team bhp. He bought a Dominor on 2017. Ofcourse I am the one who suggested the bike to him. He was a happy owner until once in the middle of nowhere, his bike stopped suddenly and to worsen the situation, it started raining. He tried to push start but it went in vain. The electricals were all working but the engine was not cranking. There was no sign of starter motor running when thumbed for start. He pushed it in rains for a long distance to reach home. He took the bike to Bajaj ASS the next day and they diagnosed the issue as a blown fuse. But then after rectifying this issue, blown fuse has become a regular affair for him. Every few months the same issue continues and when the fuse is replaced, the bike is all good. This frustrates him to the core and we are clueless why this occurs regularly. Anyone have faced this issue or any help is much welcomed. Thank you.
VishJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 11:18   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
He took the bike to Bajaj ASS the next day and they diagnosed the issue as a blown fuse. But then after rectifying this issue, blown fuse has become a regular affair for him. Every few months the same issue continues and when the fuse is replaced, the bike is all good.
'Somewhere' in the wiring harness, a bit of sheathing has come off the wire and the wire is making contact with a metal part of the bike, causing a short circuit when the bike is being ridden.

Very few ASS(es) will take the trouble to diagnose and find that exposed bit of wire. Almost all bikes made in India have very messy wiring that is hidden out of sight.

You should have asked any Bullet owner, this is a has been a 'standard' issue for decades!

Depending on the model of the bike, there are some standard areas where wires get cut because of design. In my Bullet TB AVL, the wires running inside(!) the rear mudguard (metal) keep getting rubbed against the rear wheel on bad roads and eventually they fray and cause a short (I know, what wonderful design!). Getting you stuck somewhere in the middle of a deserted road in Ladakh with rain approaching. Some other popular locations for fraying are the wires running from the headlight assembly that get twisted and under strain each time the handlebar is turned.

It's great fun trying to find the cause, like a detective! (Not really, but it helps to have a sense of humor to deal with stupid stuff like this without losing your mind.) Till this issue is sorted, carry some spare fuses with you so that you are not stranded when this happens.

Last edited by am1m : 16th July 2019 at 11:26.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 16:31   #619
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
It's great fun trying to find the cause, like a detective! (Not really, but it helps to have a sense of humor to deal with stupid stuff like this without losing your mind.)...
Ha Ha That made me smile. Thanks for that. And you are absolutely right. A sense of humor is priceless.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 16:45   #620
BHPian

Hello All,
I have recently acquired a used 2018 Dominar with hardly 4000 KM on the ODO. I am new to the liquid cooling system present on the bike and have the below question regarding it.
Is the radiator fan supposed to run all the time?
I have done short rides of about 15 - 20 KM and the fan was not running yet. Could there be a prob with the cooling system on my bike?
Next question is regarding the bike chain n sprocket. Before buying the bike, I got it checked at Bajaj authorized servicing center. The mechanic advised that everything is fine except the chain which is making a humming noise while running. He stated that the chain n sprocket might have gone bad due to the vehicle being unused for extended periods. Could non usage of the bike cause this?
I would really appreciate inputs regarding these queries.
Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:35   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post
Hello All,
I have recently acquired a used 2018 Dominar with hardly 4000 KM on the ODO. I am new to the liquid cooling system present on the bike and have the below question regarding it.
Is the radiator fan supposed to run all the time?
I have done short rides of about 15 - 20 KM and the fan was not running yet. Could there be a prob with the cooling system on my bike?
Next question is regarding the bike chain n sprocket. Before buying the bike, I got it checked at Bajaj authorized servicing center. The mechanic advised that everything is fine except the chain which is making a humming noise while running. He stated that the chain n sprocket might have gone bad due to the vehicle being unused for extended periods. Could non usage of the bike cause this?
I would really appreciate inputs regarding these queries.
Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on your new acquisition! I wish you many happy kilometres with it.

The radiator fan will only run when the engine is very hot, usually in heavy traffic.

It is possible that the chain is dry from lack of maintenance. Lubricating it will definitely reduce the noise. Use any good chain lubricant spray or 90W grade gear oil.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:38   #622
BHPian

Came across this video in facebook. A dominar had its engine belly cracked spewing engine oil. Looks very bad.

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-dominar.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 12:43   #623
BHPian

Re:Bajaj Dominar 400 Indicator Buzzer

Hi , I have a rather strange problem. I am aware that in bikes like the Dominar, one does not look for turn indicator buzzers. However just to ensure that I cancel out the turn indicators as soon as I make the turn in busy city traffic , I have always fixed indicator buzzers in my previous bikes even if they did not come factory fitted with these buzzers.

When I did the same in my Dominar 400 2019 model , I am facing a problem. Since the rear seat is fitted so tightly, the sound from the buzzer gets blocked off and I am not able to hear ther buzzer at all. Relocating the buzzer elsewhere, may create problems during water washing the Bike.

I have tried desperately to get extra loud buzzers but in vain. I am earnestly seeking a solution to this problem and all suggestions and advice are welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Old 24th July 2020, 13:05   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Dominar 400 Indicator Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
Hi , I have a rather strange problem. I am aware that in bikes like the Dominar, one does not look for turn indicator buzzers. However just to ensure that I cancel out the turn indicators as soon as I make the turn in busy city traffic , I have always fixed indicator buzzers in my previous bikes even if they did not come factory fitted with these buzzers.

When I did the same in my Dominar 400 2019 model , I am facing a problem. Since the rear seat is fitted so tightly, the sound from the buzzer gets blocked off and I am not able to hear ther buzzer at all. Relocating the buzzer elsewhere, may create problems during water washing the Bike.

I have tried desperately to get extra loud buzzers but in vain. I am earnestly seeking a solution to this problem and all suggestions and advice are welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Get the ones used in building fire alarm. They are 12V ones and are enough loud to hear through the seat

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 24th July 2020 at 13:07.
Old 24th July 2020, 16:23   #625
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks and Regards,
Extend the buzzer wires by soldering extension wires and then relocate the buzzer to a safer place. This is the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.
Old 25th July 2020, 16:36   #626
BANNED

Quote:
Since the rear seat is fitted so tightly, the sound from the buzzer gets blocked off and I am not able to hear ther buzzer at all. Relocating the buzzer elsewhere, may create problems during water washing the Bike.
Rather than extending wires I'd suggest you get 2 separate buzzers and wire then inline to the connectors that connect to respective indicator at the front of the motorcycle.

This is me having done it at the rear of the motorcycle on mine, since mine doesn't come with a blinker relay unlike normal motorcycles;

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-img_20150102_165822_2.jpg

You could take off your front headlight unit and then fix two buzzers as such and refix your headlight, since the buzzers would be concealed inside the unit you won't need to worry about water ingress and since they're right in front of you audibility wouldn't be a concern as well, in fact since they're connected right before the actual indicator you could even guess which side indicator is ON from the sound generating from the respective side.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 25th July 2020 at 16:38.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 09:56   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

You could take off your front headlight unit and then fix two buzzers as such and refix your headlight, since the buzzers would be concealed inside the unit you won't need to worry about water ingress and since they're right in front of you audibility wouldn't be a concern as well, in fact since they're connected right before the actual indicator you could even guess which side indicator is ON from the sound generating from the respective side.

Cheers,
A.P.
Thanks a lot for this solution. Will definitely try it out. I think it will solve my problem.
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:46   #628
BHPian

Hi , today i was riding my Dominar 2018, for approx 4 km and stopped to get some provisions. Bike was parked on road side. Suddenly, few people started gathering around my bike and they noticed thick white smoke coming from beneath the pillion seat. I opened the rear seat and there was burnt rubber or plastic smell and thick smoke. Smoke was coming from "Termination Unit".

Attaching the picture of the unit . Any idea what this unit is for and what could have caused it to burn.

I sent the video to service center guys and they asked me not to start the bike and they will send a mechanic in 2-3 days time [delay due to lock down].
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-term_unit_1.jpg  

Ridden: Bajaj Dominar 400-burned_smoke.png  

Ethnicul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:53   #629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post

Attaching the picture of the unit . Any idea what this unit is for and what could have caused it to burn.
I don't have much idea about this bike, but looks like something is causing an electrical issue. Its looks a lot like a Relay but have no idea why its called Termination.

Found this excellent document that I am sure will help you identify it.
https://www.globalbajaj.com/media/21...n-abs-_spc.pdf

Last edited by bblost : 26th July 2020 at 21:55.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 23:13   #630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
Any idea what this unit is for and what could have caused it to burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its looks a lot like a Relay but have no idea why its called Termination.
I was curious and asked a friend and fellow enthusiast who used to work for KTM.

It is basically the unit as the name says Terminates or Kills the motor for the purpose of safety i.e when you try to shift into gear with the side stand down etc. He has never heard of it catching fire and is uncertain to what the cause is.

I did have a look at the wiring diagram and have come to find that it gives me a headache.

If you're in a hurry you could get a replacement unit that costs about 450~500/- as it seems to be a common part used in the KTM's and the RS200 as well.

I'm not an expert when it comes to these electrical contraptions but the ideal thing to do would be to inspect if all your fuses are intact and if you're using the proper rated fuse, cause ideally a fuse is supposed to blow rather than an electrical unit burning out, which leads to the suspicion that maybe someone has used a higher than rated fuse for a particular circuit.

If you're uncertain then let the motorcycle be and wait for the ASC folk's to come and resolve the issue, especially if your motorcycle is under warranty, insist on part replacements rather than jugaad fixes.

A personal concern I have with getting a motorcycle serviced at the ASC or by someone other than myself out of my purview is that I really cannot keep track of all the changes made to the motorcycle and hence I'm left in a state of confusion when something goes amiss, a major concern when riding afar.

Stay Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 26th July 2020 at 23:38.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks