Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2017, 01:34   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Powedrift's review:

Last edited by Aditya : 16th January 2017 at 07:55. Reason: Embedding video in post
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 13:53   #272
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
My bike reached dealership (swadeshi, raja garden) on 11th and I was called to take delivery on 12th. I shall, however, be taking the delivery on 18th. They were cool with it.

Your friend should get a message on his mobile stating that the bike has been dispatched to the dealership. The bike gets to dealership within a few days on you getting a message.
Hi,

When did you book the bike and on what date you received the message that your bike is dispatched? Also can you please quote the final price they told you for the ABS model?

- Sabi
Old 15th January 2017, 14:48   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
So, I got an SMS last evening that my Dominar was dispatched to the dealer. Went, saw the bike and made the payment / formalities (1,77,270 OTR Pune).

I will be getting the bike tomorrow evening. Pretty excited!
Congrats one of my colleague booked the bike at Fatima Nagar, Hadapsar area in Pune for 1,74, xxx Rs. after some bargaining.
I think these dealers are using all tricks to increase their margins.

Following things are manipulated:
Road Tax and LBT
RTO charges
Insurance
Handling charges are added which is illegal.

Anyway, Congratulations for the bike and wish you a very safe journey for kms to come.
Old 15th January 2017, 23:33   #274
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my Midnight Blue Dominar 400 yesterday and I am absolutely having a hoot every time i get on it.
Congrats on the bike and wish you many lakhs of trouble free touring on the bike.
Old 16th January 2017, 12:06   #275
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my Midnight Blue Dominar 400 yesterday and I am absolutely having a hoot every time i get on it. The engine / exhaust note in the videos seems to be a bit pitter-pattery, but it has quite a deep bass when you actually listen to it.

The LED lights are brilliant, riding position is comfortable.
Congrats, Amit. Wishing you a super ride.
Your color choice is awesome. I am waiting for initial ownership reviews to come up to book this bike. Generally, I am not a fan of pulsars due to their not rev happy motors.
Can you please let me know about these:

1. What is the service interval of this bike? (I average close to 90 kms a day. So frequent service is not advisable for me. I own a GS150R whose service interval is every 2000 kms - 2500 kms . So monthly once I end up visiting my local mechanic spending in the range of 1000 INR.)
2. What is the average you are getting per litre?
3. What should be the max rpm that should be maintained during run-in? and what is the run-in period?
4. What about vibrations when you cruise in the range of 100 kmph or so?

Last edited by deemash : 16th January 2017 at 12:07.
Old 17th January 2017, 09:09   #276
BHPian

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
So you share this with no pics. How can this sin be justified?
Forgiveness, please! I will click some decent share-able ones and post them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR View Post
Congratulations amitg79!!!

Would you be kind to share the service schedules. Keen to know the frequency of service intervals

One more thing - do you find the gears clunky? Elaborating - do the gearshifts seem clunky especially the 1st & 2nd gears
I have totally blanked out on the service intervals. Let me call them up and ask again. The Bajaj guy did talk about them, but I was just ogling at the bike.

Putting it in first does have a bit of an audible clunk. The gearshifts are fine, otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hearty Congratulations...!!!

What was the price breakup?

Have you tried it with a pillion? It would be interesting to know your opinion about pillion comfort.
Will post the price breakup when I have it in front of me. I did try it with a pillion on a short ride. The pillion seat is a bit tall, as is the norm with most bikes. It is quite wide and comfortable. But the ride was too short to get a detailed opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Congrats one of my colleague booked the bike at Fatima Nagar, Hadapsar area in Pune for 1,74, xxx Rs. after some bargaining.... Anyway, Congratulations for the bike and wish you a very safe journey for kms to come.
Yeah, I didn't do any negotiating, or ask about the handling charge. They may have made a bit of an extra profit from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Congrats on the bike and wish you many lakhs of trouble free touring on the bike.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Congrats, Amit. Wishing you a super ride.
1. What is the service interval of this bike?
2. What is the average you are getting per litre?
3. What should be the max rpm that should be maintained during run-in? and what is the run-in period?
4. What about vibrations when you cruise in the range of 100 kmph or so?
Service interval, I will have to ask again. I forgot, to put it simply.

Right now, its too early to comment on the mileage. I guess I can tell you at the time of my first refill.

The Bajaj guy did not specify any speed / RPM limit (I'm guessing he doesn't know for sure). He just told me not to flog it too much. So I am not going (too often) over 5000 RPM. Still, the bike has great pulling power, as 28 Nm is available from 3000 RPM. I think he said that the run-in was 750 km.

There is a bit of a buzz from the engine, at around 4000 RPM or so, but at no point even further up the rev range did I feel vibrations.
amitg79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:09   #277
BHPian

Someone has already posted the 1st service cost breakup for the Dominar:

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-bajaj_dominar_400.jpg
farhadtarapore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 09:38   #278
BHPian

Was at Jai Bajaj Adyar picking up my bike from service. Was mighty angry at them breaking my bikes indicator.

Seeing 10 Dominars was too tempting for me not to ask for a test ride.

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img_20170118_181247.jpg

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img_20170118_181253.jpg

There were deliveries going on with at least 4 of them slated for delivery yesterday. Kept on asking them for test ride but all the guys were busy in the photo session. Finally after 10 minutes of wait, got one guy to hop behind me and did a shortish (around 3 Km test ride).

My take on the bike (mind you being used to the lithe and scrawny Duke does make my comments biased, any bashing is not intentional).

The weight : (Obvious). Was not comfortable in the crowded streets of Adyar. Would like to check what the weight does for highway stability. The Jai auto guy did suggest test rides being given in the day in Rajiv Gandhi Salai. Should do that once.

The acceleration : Does have a mighty shove like the CBR. But boy it does not feel electric like the Duke. Thought i was being biased. But my roommate who also took the test ride agrees with what i said.

The gearbox : Did feel heavier than Duke. Felt a bit clunky as well. Should get smoother with miles piling on.

The Brakes : Lacked the quick bite. Maybe the extra weight and Inertia makes it feel a bit lacking compared to my bike.

The riding position : Was better than my Duke for sure.

Was discussing with the boy from dealership and he was recommending me to wait for D390 rather than go for this.

Was curious if the bikes being bought are the Non ABS or the ABS versions. I was told all the models being delivered for now are the ABS versions.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd January 2017 at 00:55. Reason: minor typo
rohitoasis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 11:13   #279
Senior - BHPian

Got the delivery of my Dominar last evening. Absolutely thrilled (especially considering I just started riding 3 weeks back on a 8 year old Honda Stunner).

Initial thoughts:

Weight:- Heavy when I was trying to pull it back or so. but once you are on the bike and start riding, it doesnt feel that heavy.

Acceleration:- I'm in love - honestly, I have a very heavy foot when it comes to driving cars but when it comes to bikes - I am a still a little relaxed.

Seating Position: Very comfortable - sat on RS200 for 5 mins in showroom - was already feeling uncomfortable.

Drivability:- The gear box has a clunk while shifting but it didnt really bother me - should smoothen with some kms. The low end torque could have been better for sure, considering it is a detuned/modified version of KTM 373cc engine. You cant shift to 2nd until atleast 20 kmph or so. More comfortable is 25kmph. Had to shift to first in traffic or while going through small breakers in my colony.

The mid range is where all the fun begins, the bike roars at the first twist of the throttle (or whatever you bikers call it ), and it feels extremely planted at speeds.

Looks: are droolworthy - have already been stopped by 2 cars to know what bike it is and number of bikers were just drooling at its looks. The LEDs and the front headlamp are the key highlights and the fuel tank design adds a lot of character. The rear is nothing to write about. You cant distinguish it from a pulsar from the rear.

The exhaust is very throaty and the sound is excellent for a single cylinder.

The brakes are extremely good for me - I learnt riding on a bike with drums remember? Nice and tight and stops the bike when it needs to.
ABS? wont be trying it until I need to honestly. Very unlike driving my Cedia, where I use ABS on every instance possible - ROFL

Will post a detailed review soon.
Heres just a teaser pic

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-dom.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th January 2017 at 11:19.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 17:46   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Got the delivery of my Dominar last evening. Absolutely thrilled (especially considering I just started riding 3 weeks back on a 8 year old Honda Stunner).

Initial thoughts:

Weight:- Heavy when I was trying to pull it back or so. but once you are on the bike and start riding, it doesnt feel that heavy.

Attachment 1596910
Congratulations, Gaurav.
How is the rear seat comfort?
Old 20th January 2017, 20:43   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear is nothing to write about. You cant distinguish it from a pulsar from the rear
I disagree.

Saw a white Dominar yesterday evening on way back from work.

Looks gorgeous from every angle on the move.. especially the rear. Looks more Ducati Diavel than Pulsar from the rear.

Actually the Dominar 400 would look absolutely smashing with a muscular 180 section rear - A trick Mr. Bajaj surely missed here.

Last edited by payeng : 20th January 2017 at 20:44.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 21:27   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Actually the Dominar 400 would look absolutely smashing with a muscular 180 section rear - A trick Mr. Bajaj surely missed here.
Someone's been binge watching "American chopper"

A 180 on this bike would be LUDICROUS. Would totally mess up the bike. Thank the sweet lord Mr Bajaj "missed" it

For reference - A supersport like an R6 comes with a 180
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 22:44   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Someone's been binge watching "American chopper"

A 180 on this bike would be LUDICROUS. Would totally mess up the bike. Thank the sweet lord Mr Bajaj "missed" it

For reference - A supersport like an R6 comes with a 180
The Yamsha FZ proved that FAT rear end and plastic muscles sell.. and sell well.

Never in dreams did I think a 140 section rear (low aspect ratio at that) could appear on a production (sub 14 ps) 150 cc.

Even Suzuki and Hong ultimately had to join the Father rear tyre and Plastic muscles 150 cc formula

Last edited by payeng : 20th January 2017 at 22:47.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 20:40   #284
BHPian

Got my sunset plum D400 delivered on 19th, but yet to get registration from RTO, which will take another 15 days.

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-p_20170119_165747_1_p.jpg

1. beware : Paint gloss is good but gets scratched very easily. On the plum/blue Dominar, the scratches are quite apparent.

2. Seeing a few glue remnants on the plastic bits, QC slipping. Although only seen when close, it's a slip up.

3. Hi beam indicator light stays on all the time, unless you're in low beam (headlight switch in ON position , not pilot) and low beam selected. Kind of odd way to set up, since hi-beam indication should be on in high beam. So it is wired that way, I thought earlier it was wired wrong. Low beam stays on when high beam is selected.

4. Mirrors are ok, better than the P220, but field of view not as wide as ideal.

5. Handle-bar locks only on the left side.

6. Brake feel is a bit spongy, but bite and power seem adequate. Being new, not yet pushing hard to test the limits.

7. Exhaust note seems better off the bike, than while riding.

8. Headlights look brighter than they are. If you thought this is the bike to get to tour on without auxiliary lighting, then you'll be disappointed. The LEDs are just about a little better than a P220. I'm convinced a P220 with HID will far outshine the Dominar.

9. Gosh, that swingarm is long. This bike should hold its line very well.

10. For general commuting - rather urban parking in public spaces, other than malls, the length, turn radius and weight of the bike will be cumbersome.

11. The cowl under the seat, is black with a small color-matched part (white on white Dominar, blue on blue, plum on plum), which is a sticker. Why bother to put such a small part matching the color when 80% of that panel is black. After years on the Pulsar 220, this seat feels nice and comfortable.

12. Still kind of perplexed as to why BAL detuned it so much, but didn't quite recover much low-end torque since it knocks more than it ought to. Even the minimum speeds in the manual, to shift gear are a bit high.

1st to 2nd: 27km/h
2nd to 3rd: 38km/h
3rd to 4th: 46km/h
4th to 5th: 62km/h
5th to 6th: 68km/h

Owner's manual doesn't specify alternator output and gear ratios, or the output of the LED headlamps.

I hope BAL is reading this, and comes up with brighter headlamps and a mainstand. Bigger tank capacity and gear indicator would be nice too.

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-p_20170119_165803_p.jpg

Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-p_20170119_165846_p.jpg

How does the Dominar fare as :
1) first/only bike :
If you want/can keep only 1 bike for all purposes, this will do most well enough. Obviously not much as an off-roader though. Lack of any luggage hooks and plastic tank means soft saddle bags are best for long trips.

2) second, weekend bike :
If this is a weekend pleasure ride and those rides aren't tours, look elsewhere (uh, I mean, shell out a bit more and get the KTM RC/Duke 390), you want your second/weekend ride to be farther away from commuterish ideals than the Dominar is.

3) second, daily runner bike:
If you have a bigger weekend ride already and this is to replace a commuter (as in my case), it will do fine but caveats are , for urban crowded parkings, it will be cumbersome to maneuver and park in placed like MG road or street-side parking. In malls, it shouldn't be an issue. And for officer-goers, goes with the sober image far better than its orange-themed cousins.

Last edited by Ricci : 21st January 2017 at 21:07.
Ricci is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 18:31   #285

I might have missed the information here.
But what type of front disc brakes are supplied here.
Single piston caliper floating for four piston caliper fixed ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks