Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 08:25   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes. If you have ridden Pulsars long enough, you will know that this is a cousin.
The Original Pulsars (150/180/220) handles like boats. Also their engine's aren't exactly rev happy.

Things have improved with the new Pulsars (NS/RS/AS 200) and even the 135.

Handling of the new generation pulsars are very good and also the 4 valve engines now enjoy being revved.

The Dominar does feel and sound like a grown up NS200. I found the exhaust note sweeter than the NS with a little bit of Bass in it.

Funny though as the common buyer still prefers the old versions
Old 29th December 2016, 17:28   #227
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

hey Guys. Looks like the Dominar Night Test Rides are Available from 8:00 PM to MidNight on Fridays.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-c012pfdviaaf8iy.jpg  

praveen_sathaye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 19:52   #228
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The Original Pulsars (150/180/220) handles like boats. Also their engine's aren't exactly rev happy.
I will disagree with not being rev happy comment- I own a P220 DTSi, (Jan-2014) Model, which has done 12.5KMs till date and It goes to redline in every gear and at the twist of throttle. Or does this issue crop up after a certain mileage? Having ridden Pulsars from almost all generations, I think the quality has kept improving YoY, even for older models on sale.
Old 29th December 2016, 20:37   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I will disagree with not being rev happy comment- I own a P220 DTSi, (Jan-2014) Model, which has done 12.5KMs till date and It goes to redline in every gear and at the twist of throttle.

Or does this issue crop up after a certain mileage?

Having ridden Pulsars from almost all generations, I think the quality has kept improving YoY, even for older models on sale.

I had a 2007 P220 till 2012.

Not really sure if the latest lot of Pulsars 150/180/220 have become as good as the new generation Pulsar engines
Old 29th December 2016, 23:05   #230
BHPian

Finally got a chance to TD the new D400 at Jai Bajaj, Adyar, Chennai. Since it was a weekday and I had gone to the showroom late evening around 7:45 it was empty. The SA was courteous and even allowed me TD for Avengers as well.

My initial feedback is as follows:

1. Initial throttle response is brilliant
2. Chain rattle was annoying (may be because the vehicle was a TD vehicle)
3. The switch panel looks cheap and not as sturdy and chunky as the ones on old Pulsars
3. Not so tall fellows like me (5 ft 7 inches) will find their groin hitting the fuel tank during normal riding position
4. The exhaust bass is nowhere as compared to a RE CL350.
Overall I am disappointed by D400.
I am in the market for upgrading my commuter from CB Unicorn 150 to a more comfortable bike. My daily ride includes 50% city and 50% highway ride and I am contemplating buying CL350, TB350 and now Avenger 220 Street.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)-img20161229wa0002.jpg  

MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 23:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

This one is one of the Best reviews I have come across of the Dominar 400 on YouTube...

Not because it's a positive one.

But because the review wasn't contrived like many of the Vloggers on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=VpnamEpHIKg
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 00:39   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
4. The exhaust bass is nowhere as compared to a RE CL350.
Overall I am disappointed by D400.

Exhaust bass on a CL350? I haven't heard it so far. All I hear is typical RE clatter(I ride a Electra 350 occasionally). No offense to anyone.

200 NS had that bass post 7000 rpm. From the Motorbeam review on YouTube, I find that Dominar has it more pronounced. I must add that D400 sounds awesome for a single cylinder. I guess your test ride did not present you a chance to go beyond 5000 rpm. If you like CL350 exhaust note, there isn't another bike that equates it. So it must be TB350/CL350 for you.

Why don't you have a look at TVS Apache RTR 200 4V? It may suit your requirements.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th December 2016 at 01:00.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 09:00   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to the nearest Bajaj showroom to take a TR. Unfortunately , the TR was not possible because of RTO issues. Was able to check out the bike. Here are the observations

1. Sitting posture and peg position is perfect for me with 5'10" height. Neutral riding position.

2. Headlamps are always ON with highbeam. Switching on the headlamps will make the low beam turn on and the high beam switches off.

3. When pass switch is pressed with headlamps switched off, the low beam comes on and the high beam switches off temporarily. With headlamp switched on , the pass button will turn on the high beam. Low beam remains unaltered.

4. Stock visor is non existent. After market ones will start coming in for sure

5. The number plate bracket is very sturdy and is ideal to be used to mount after market LED bar/spots to enhance the illumination.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 11:20   #234
BHPian

Quote:
I own a P220 DTSi, (Jan-2014) Model
Quote:
I had a 2007 P220 till 2012.

Not really sure if the latest lot of Pulsars 150/180/220 have become as good as the new generation Pulsar engines
I meant to write- I own a P220 DTSi, (Jan-2015) Model. Also, I can say this with confidence that the overall quality of manufacturing in Bajaj, at least for P220 has improved. The only niggle I faced in my two years of ownership was- Rattles in fairing (Which the service centre guys have asked me to live with- but I will find a solution to it nevertheless), fused number plate light (Twice), Low beam projector lamp fused (Once). That's all. Touch wood. Overall, very satisfied with my ownership. Look forward to upgrade to RC390 in near future.
Old 30th December 2016, 11:25   #235
BHPian

Quote:
This one is one of the Best reviews I have come across of the Dominar 400 on YouTube...

Not because it's a positive one.

But because the review wasn't contrived like many of the Vloggers on YouTube

https://www.Youtube.com/shared?ci=VpnamEpHIKg
Loved that review. Very detailed. Very comprehensive. Only thing that bothered me is that at about 16:40, the spread of the headlight is not all that much. It only illuminates a small angle in front of you. Other than that, the bike rocks.
Old 30th December 2016, 12:19   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look forward to upgrade to RC390 in near future.
good that you are putting up with fairing rattles in p220. RC390 has it multiple times. You wouldn't believe it is a 2.5 lakh motorcycle until you open up the throttle, once you open the throttle wide open, you forget all its shortcomings.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 12:45   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you have a look at TVS Apache RTR 200 4V? It may suit your requirements.
Another contender would be the Mojo. I feel its one of the best sound MODERN engine exhaust notes from that 1X2 pipes, esp when the BD killer removed. Sweet, decently bassy yet not too loud like the Goldstar or indori or dholki which lots of ppl use on the modern UCE engines from bullet. Also, the long stroke engine sound from bullet is not right to compare to modern engines. Old Cast iron 350/500 bullet with heavier crank (pre 80s) were very sweet sounding if the engine was maintained well. That too with stock short-bottle silencer. That is the ideal dug dug ot thump of a traditional bullet which the purists swear by. Upto AVL configuration the exhaust note from RE was passable, but with these modern breed of UCE350, UCE500 and LS410 platform, the exhaust note is just not there. Whatever we may try install for aftermarket exhausts from wildboars to greeasehouse, the original thump of a well oiled Cast iron engine can NEVER be replicated from a Cast aluminium block. Sorry for going a bit OT, i got carried away as i did lots of exhaust based mods on my bullets.
nasirkaka is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 23:43   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
So I am one of those unlucky souls who have been forbidden from riding any motorcycle (responsibilities and family)

But this bike is so good that both my head and heart mutually agrees (for a change) to buy one and keep it just for the sake of it.
I have only owned only one motorcycle, the Bajaj Pulsar d-tsi (December 2003), which my father bought me as my birthday present, and it will stay with me for life. It has fallen into a deep slumber since 2011.

Dominor seems like a worthy successor to my Pulsar. And 30 years down the line both will look good standing together.
I may come into a consensus with my alter ego and buy it eventually.

All those souls out there who are confused, I have only one thing to say, seldom comes a vehicle that seems so perfect and desirable that even thinking about it feels like meditation, only happiness and nothing negative.
Your nostalgic words set me thinking that if a D400 would look cool beside your 2003 Pulsar, then how would it stand out beside my 1990 RTZ? If only wishes were horses...
ATUL SINGH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:35   #239
BHPian

Test Ride Experience

Test rode the bike couple of weeks back. Went by the morning 9 30 AM - Not many to greet / discuss about the bike - They noted down my number and was asked to come by 6:30 PM for a test ride.

Felt weird wondering why are they asking to come by the closure time. Came back by 6 45 PM to find out several guys on Pulsars & KTMs waiting for the test ride. I went with my wife to make sure she approves of the Pillion comfort

Positives:

Lights
Nice grunt from the Engine
Seating Posture
Pillion comfort
Suspension Setup was good
Paint finish (White / Plum)

Negatives:

Noise from the chain (Bike had done <50 kms)
Plastics felt cheap
Tyres - Didn't give enough confidence around corners
Clutch setup - Tough to ride in bumper to bumper traffic (works half way and not before) - May be an issue with just the test bike
A bit vibey

Posting Booking Experience:

After discussing with friends, checking reviews online - I decided to book the bike on 1st of January (May be a good start for 2017 )

The dealership experience has not been pleasant till now. Have visited the showroom three times and called them on multiple occasions.

1. Have not got proper details on on road price / split up - They said someone will call back - but nothing yet.

2. Called to enquire about finance / loan details. Same as above, someone notes down the number - no reply.

3. Tried registering online for loan. The agni.bajajauto.co.in seems to collect details, only to get a call from someone who can speak only in Hindi (and would arrange for a call back in English - again no reply after that)

4. No official confirmation about delivery date from showroom or even an acknowledgement (except for a line on the booking page saying Feb 2017).

Hoping at least the after sales experience is better.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:23   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
...Posting Booking Experience:

After discussing with friends, checking reviews online - I decided to book the bike on 1st of January (May be a good start for 2017 )
Congratulations, MadBiker! I booked mine on 20th December and they have told me the expected date of delivery would be around 15th Jan. The website only says that deliveries start in Jan. Will call them again in a couple of days to check.

The wait is maddening.

Edit: Which colour did you go for?

Last edited by amitg79 : 3rd January 2017 at 15:25. Reason: update
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks