Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 12:10   #616
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
I request all those Team Bhpians who have seen the Jawas in flesh and test rode it answer a few direct questions in this thread.
1) Does the motorcycle look well build? How would you rate the build quality?
2) How was the seating posture, engine response, brakes,?
5) Would you as motorcycle enthusiast spend 2 Lakhs( approx) for the motorcycle? Is it worth it?
The answers to these questions would be really helpful for thousands like me who are yet to see the motorcycle in flesh.Team Bhp remains the only reliable source of information about the Jawas.
Hi Maverickrider, I saw the Jawa and Jawa42 during the showroom launch at Pune. I had even booked the bike though I canceled it last month.

All the models in the showroom are said to be pre-production models and all questions were answered with "This will be fixed in the production version"

As yet no one has seen production quality Jawa / Jawa 42

I really liked the specs and the low seat height. I am 5'6" and it seemed perfect particularly with ABS. I would pay 2 L for this combo IF the quality, ride etc. of the production version are up to par.

At present there is a big IF

Hopefully in March some of these questions will be answered.
bevivek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:56   #617
R.G
BHPian

I did a test ride of 42 today.

To answer maverickrider00's questions

1) The bike definitely looks well built and better than the products you mentioned.
2) I do not have much experience with bikes to comment on this question.I felt at home without much adjustments . The ride is smooth and engine is very responsive and linear. After couple of initial misses , the gear shifts came correct and no problems then on. I found the handle bar a bit wider than what I am used to . May be because I am out of touch riding motorbikes , I couldn't take a u-turn in one go, from standstill when the test ride started. It was a slope and the bike was kept facing uphill. I think the bike has a bigger turning radius than usual.

It was a pretty short test ride ( a kilometer max) for me as they were winding up test rides for the day. It was not on the main road , but on byroad adjacent to the showroom. I will go for another longer test ride when time permits.

3) I didn't notice any of these.

4) The service department will be functional only when the actual deliveries start and it is a kilometer or so away from the showroom. The Sales person mentioned that the first service is at 1000 km and then on every 6 months/6000 kms. If I remember correctly , he mentioned the engine oil requirement is just 1.75 ltr (not sure ) where as for RE it is more than 2 ltr. I am not that technical , please pardon me if this info is wrong.

5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
- Jawa 42 dual channel ABS will cost approx Rs. 2.04 L on road is what the showroom guy mentioned. Single channel would cost approx Rs. 1.95 L.
There is a correction to my earlier comment . Today when I asked for the breakup of the price , they mentioned it is not available yet and the dual channel ABS 42 on road price would be 1.93 L . 2.04 L would be for dual channel ABS Jawa . I am a fan of retro /scrambler bikes and Yes , I would spend 2L on what I saw and rode.

The test ride bike does not have a back rest and the showroom manager mentioned that back rest , saree guard and the crash guard will be available as standard/additional fitment for the final version. He mentioned that the bikes available on showroom is a pre-production version for media drives and
the final version would be far better in fit and finish.

I overheard him mentioning to a prospective customer that they have atleast 20-25 bookings per day and in kochi and kozhikode it is 40-45 per day.

Related news from Rushlane .

H also mentioned that the maximum online bookings are for Nebula Blue ( the metallic blue) .

When I enquired on different seat availability , he said there are many who are asking for the same and hopefully that should also be there . The accessories floor is still not open .
R.G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 08:16   #618
Senior - BHPian

Classic legends has opened 70 dealerships across India so far, source Instagram page.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa01.jpg
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa02.jpg
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa03.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 20:04   #619
BHPian

I guess the production versions are reaching the dealerships now, Jawa Kukatpally posted these pictures with a caption "Get ready for loads of surprises for the legend to hit the roads soon.. stay tuned", deliveries may start in few days/weeks hopefully.

From the pictures the seat seems to be little different compared to the pre-production versions.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-53439704_261531331207324_6900268370122244096_o.jpg

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-53740609_261531351207322_5052033115317338112_o.jpg
tchsvy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 11:05   #620
BHPian

Just received a mailer:
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-screenshot-20190313-11.03.42-am.png
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 15:13   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
I request all those Team Bhpians who have seen the Jawas in flesh and test rode it answer a few direct questions in this thread.
1) Does the motorcycle look well build? How would you rate the build quality? Bajaj, Hero or Honda grade? Does it seem build to last?
2) How was the seating posture, engine response, brakes,ride and handling in your test ride experience? Better then the competition?
3) What is the brand of the OEMs ( Lights, Horns, Battery, FI unit, ABS unit etc)?
4) Did the showroom also allow a peek into the workshop area? What are the service intervals? Engine oil, brake oil, coolant brand and grade?
5) Would you as motorcycle enthusiast spend 2 Lakhs( approx) for the motorcycle? Is it worth it?
The answers to these questions would be really helpful for thousands like me who are yet to see the motorcycle in flesh.Team Bhp remains the only reliable source of information about the Jawas.

On the 1st of March 2019, Class Motors Siliguri, the lone Jawa motorcycle dealership in the Northeast was inaugurated with much fan fare. Being a working day, I missed the inaugural event but reached the showroom by 3 p.m. The showroom like the rest in India showcased a restored Jawa 250, Jawa Jawa and Jawa 42. From then till, yesterday, i.e. 16th of March, I have been there four times, almost spending about 4 hours on an average soaking in the ambiance, reading through the enlightening book on Jawa by the eminent auto journalist Adiljal Darukhanwala, talking to the sales and service associates and most importantly taking long exhaustive test rides. I have approximately clocked about 50 Kms in the Jawa 42 test bike during my numerous test rides and based on it, I have decided to answer my own queries for those sitting in the fence.

First of all, the build quality of the motorcycle is good. I did notice on the 42 that the gold stripe on the mudguard, side panel and the forty two lettering itself were STICKERS and not painted. No issues in the Jawa Jawa. Besides this, the build quality of the motorcycle seems to be better then of RE, Bajaj, KTM and the rest except of course the four Japanese motorcycle company and our own Hero. It is at par with them and TVS. My personal favourite was the chunky rear brake pedal, it adds class to the whole motorcycle. Concerns with the fuel tank rusting later on, the build quality of both the motorcycles looks solid.

Second, the riding position of the Jawa 42 is spot on, no issues whatsoever for me and those like me who are a bit vertically challenged. However, 6 feet and above may find it a bit cramped but not downright uncomfortable. Due to the high compression, the engine seems very hurried even at idle. I found it very paradoxical, a cruiser is supposed to have a relaxed engine, this is NOT it but it does have a flat torque curve. This high compression ratio also makes it evident in the heating up of the engine in traffic which is not comfortable but is worrying to some extent though heat management is better then the KTMs. Another highlight, the radiator fan has an automated function even working while the engine is shut off. I did not push the new vehicle and with the sales associate as a pillion the maximum I could go was 90km/hr. Acceleration is brisk and at times unnerving. The chassis set up is good but with no Twisties in the plains can't really vouch for its handling prowess. Best summed up as adequate but it is BETTER then it's immediate competition though not sports bike level. Brakes are good but the fact that it's a drum in the rear seems to play in your mind while riding the bike. This can easily munch miles with ease and style.

Thirdly, they did not allow me to have a closer look at the OEMs of the parts but I could figure out the rear shocks to be from Gabriel, front disc brake from Bybre, tyres from MRF and ABS by Continental.

Fourthly, the workshop is not open but is supposed to be up by 25th of March 2019. I would recommend a visit to the workshop first before buying any motorcycle or car. Buying is always the easy part, maintaining it is what actually hurts especially if the service associates are not competent. I have decided to do the same.

Fifthly, I felt that the motorcycle is a bit overpriced. Here in Siliguri, single channel ABS Jawa 42 retails for 185k on road, Jawa Jawa 195k, double channel adds another 10k to each variant. The present price for the single ABS should have been that for the double channel ABS which should have been introduced from the very beginning. Classic Legends can still add value to it by offering leg guard/ engine guard, back rest, bar end mirrors and a better seat as a part of the standard package. This because some very good motorcycles are just waiting around the corner, Suzuki 250 will be a competent package and RE Thunderbird 350X is still a compelling buy. In my opinion,the production version should be a step up in quality and should have all the stated accessories above as a standard package. I know, because, I should be the first ones to be delivered the motorcycle here.
To put it in a nutshell, one eminent auto journalist may have refrained from saying it but here goes, RE Bullet and Classic 350 is dead because the Jawas are here.

That is me on the 42..

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-img20190301wa0020.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Formatted for readability
maverickrider00 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 16:43   #622
BHPian

Took a solo spin on both the Jawas, and Im a lot more impressed by the Jawa, than the Forty Two(even though I'm a big hitchhikers fan). The Forty Two is good, but for my height (5'7") the ergonomics seem just a tiny bit amiss. I own a '74 Yezdi and a Duke 390, and my riding experience and and expectations were an amalgamation of both these bikes. Due to the seating posture the 42 seems a bit more eager while you ride it, while the Jawa seems relaxed. I had a splendid time puttering along at 50kmph on the Jawa, enjoying the sound, the torque and the beautiful ergonomics of the motorcycle. On the same stretch of road the 42 felt like it wanted to go faster and it compelled me to push it(only slightly). Based on the pictures and ride experiences of others I was heavily inclined towards the 42, but in flesh the Jawa was a clear winner for me.

The build quality on both the bikes was Okay. There were a few loose cables, some vibrations on the higher revs, the welds on the back of the fork tubes are ugly and both the bikes have bad seats. You can feel the frame on your bum. However, all these things are really nitpicking on two otherwise loveable machines.

Someone posted pictures of the supposed production variants few posts above me and I must say the new seat looks like it'll be end of the seat complaints.
ashwin1224 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 11:43   #623
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a dozen Jawa motorcycles at a popular biker cafe on the outskirts of Gurgaon atleast 3 weeks back, hence I was under the impression that the deliveries would have already commenced.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-1.png  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa.png  

//M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 16:52   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Stopped by the Jawa showroom in Cochin to enquire about test rides and the waiting period. They confirmed that the test rides are only with the sales guy as the pillion. I've seen other people take the test ride with the pillion and it was a little loop with 2 u-turns. This when the Royal Enfield showroom across the road happily hands you the keys of their test ride bikes and asks you to come back only after half an hour or so.

Waiting period was initially quoted as 5 - 8 months. When I asked what was the variable that changed it between 5 to 8 months, the sales folks confirmed that it is actually 8 months as directed by the company. They are not sure of the on road price as of now.
Old 24th March 2019, 17:22   #625
BHPian

According to the SA at Jawa showroom at Kukatpally, Hyderabad (Bright Automotive) deliveries were to start from today, has anybody heard any news in this regard?

Few weeks ago when I took a test ride at Secunderabad showroom I was given an estimated on road price of 1.86 lakhs, but when I booked a 42 at Kukatpally they quoted it would be around 1.84 lakhs and confirmed that earlier they used to quote 1.86, but now it has come down! They also told me in the final production version the seat will be couple of inches longer and the foot pegs will be moved a little forward.

I was also told I would have to wait for 6-8 months, but if we believe few websites we might have to wait until next year to get one! Total bookings are estimated to be around 1,00,000.
Old 24th March 2019, 18:04   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
According to the SA at Jawa showroom at Kukatpally, Hyderabad (Bright Automotive) deliveries were to start from today, has anybody heard any news in this regard?
According to Rushlane, Jawa will auction the first few bikes and the proceeds shall be used to support education of children of martyrs of the armed forces post which deliveries shall commence. No doubt a noble cause and certainly the auction shall find intretested buyers who would want to skip the queue and own the first lot of resurrected Jawa bikes, albeit at a premium price. We can easily assume normal folks who booked online ( I booked on Nov 15) can at best hear something from showroom this week with deliveries effectively starting from April first week.

Link to article - https://www.rushlane.com/jawa-motorc...-12302228.html

Last edited by ar134 : 24th March 2019 at 18:19.
ar134 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 16:45   #627
BHPian

Some good news, eagerly waiting to see the 'final production version'!

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2619
Size:  16.1 KB
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:31   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Some good news, eagerly waiting to see the 'final production version'!

Just received this mailer informing the same:
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-screenshot-20190326-12.30.02-pm.png
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 16:20   #629
BHPian

Meanwhile they are auctioning off a limited number of Signature editions.

Quote:
Jawa Motorcycles is working on a fundraiser. Jawa fundraiser revolves around an auction of specially created Jawa motorcycles – called Jawa Signature Edition. Proceeds will be used for education for the children of martyrs.
I'm all for a good cause and then I read this:
Quote:
Jawa also says this in their announcement, ‘Make sure to not crash the Signature edition Jawa, as accidental repairs will be a hit on your heart and wallet!.’
Yikes! I've never ever seen any brand brag about expensive repairs
Source
Note that I couldn't find this statement on their FB page or website.

Auction
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 16:05   #630
Team-BHP Support

Watch the Jawa #foreverheroes auction live stream here -

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks