Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 20:42   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
By moving the launch of this bike to 2018 (which might further be delayed) looks like BMW company wants to make as much money as possible from premium markets like Europe.
Once launched in India & at lesser cost, the exclusivity will be lost & consumers outside India might be reluctant to buy same thing at higher price.
Sir, markets abroad are buying the ktm duke 390 nevertheless and has been a massive success for ktm as a brand.

Pricing in one market has no effect in another.

Further... The bmw might work as against the 390. Too many gremlins being reported everyday. Hope TVS gets their manufacturing right first time around.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-1507648965891.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th October 2017 at 21:36. Reason: Please use edit option to add content to same post if within 30 mins. Do read the rules of forum again. Cheers!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 22:30   #77
rbp
BHPian

Re: BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016

This is an excellent read http://overdrive.in/amp/news-cars-au...-need-to-know/

Pasting a few snippets which I really liked

Quote:
BMW test cycles are 1 lakh kilometres and TVS runs shorter cycles but heavier loads
Karl Viktor Schaller is the head of development at BMW Motorrad and he says that the average product development cycle is 36 to 43 months at BMW. Of this roughly 11 months is just the process of setting up tooling and orders for new motorcycles at the suppliers! But he, as well as Konductorow, were surprised at how TVS tests their motorcycles versus their established BMW Motorrad test cycles.

BMW Motorrad's motorcycles are tested over 1 lakh kilometres with the usual loads - 2 people and luggage if applicable. They noted that TVS tests for 3 people - since this is a use pattern in India - and some of the tests have bigger loads as well as more severe parameters thanks to our road conditions albeit TVS's test cycle distance is actually shorter than BMW Motorrad.
Quote:
Over 90% of the motorcycle is locally sourced

A combination of Konductorow, Viktor Schaller and Raptis spoke about how the G 310 R and the GS bits are sourced for the Hosur plant. Over 90 per cent of the motorcycle is sourced from Indian suppliers. Konductorow says BMW officials have worked with each and every one of them to upgrade machinery as well as skills to get parts that match BMW's quality requirements. The rest of the 10 per cent are sourced from other places, mostly Asia but a few crucial bits, including specific bearings for the engine come from Europe.
rbp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 22:43   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think ktm has a 390 adv to show this EICMA. Their entire focus will be on the new 700 super duke. So if the 390 adv is for next eicma, expect a proper launch only in 2019,and there fore a safe purchase in 2020 (2nd gen, issues resolved).

The bmw gs 310 however will probably have a 2 year headstart, considering it is on sale internationally, gremlins if any should be ironed out in MY 2018,which is what we will get!

Suddenly, this particular gs version is seeming to make a lot of sense.

The Versys-X 300 still has too much fairing, carries more weight, and abs is always on. The seat height is also bloody ridiculous. Coupled with a very high service maintenance contract with the dealers, it just does not cut it in india... Provided BMW can promise an absolute niggle free bike.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:01   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Versys-X 300 still has too much fairing, carries more weight, and abs is always on. The seat height is also bloody ridiculous. Coupled with a very high service maintenance contract with the dealers, it just does not cut it in india... Provided BMW can promise an absolute niggle free bike.
SO True!! service, spares, accessories, and waiting for parts, etc are going to be a major pain point, as we have experienced with versys 650 ownership. Moreover, low end torque would be a critical factor for an adv tourer and the kawa 300 twins are happy with revs boiling high. Makes sense for Ninja 300 but not so much for versys 300. and that remapping and "different state of tuning" is more of marketing gimmick then real world differences.
versys 650 is 1+ lakh more expensive then ninja 650. By that logic, Versys 300X will be priced at least 50K over the ninja 300 and at that price point, it not going to burn the sales figures. Main point to be noted here is that versys is not MADE in india, whereas the baby GS is made here. So it only makes sense for the BMW to price it close to ktm 390 plus 50-60k for the premium badge/image.
Price it under 4L and they have my money. This bike does make sense for India. Himalayan could have but they screwed with low power, unrefined engine, lack of ABS and all the negativity around. Baby GS with its light weight, switchable ABS, decent power figures, long travel suspension, top box plate, etc is very very tempting. I am definitely getting one for everyday commute in notorious Bangalore traffic and roads, unless KTM surprises with concrete news on 390 ADV. Another long wait begins.. :(

PS: hope they have a tall windscreen and a center stand as an accessory option when launched.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 12th October 2017 at 16:05.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:39   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Launched in Japan at an equivalent of around 3.82 lacs.

Link: https://www.rushlane.com/bmw-g310gs-...-12193905.html
Attached Thumbnails
BMW G310R-based Adventure motorcycle. EDIT: Unveiled at EICMA 2016-bmwg310gstokyo4750x430.jpg  

Old 21st November 2017, 11:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

Any reliable updates on the baby GS India launch? 2017 is almost over.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:39   #82
BHPian

Quite possibly in the second half of 2018 as mentioned by some Indian moto blogs.

No plans before that.

Quote:
BMW Motorrad finally confirmed yesterday that the two smallest motorcycles they make, the BMW G 310 R and the BMW G 310 GS is under homologation right now and will be launched in the second half of 2018.
http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/b...-need-to-know/
Cartik5477 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:34   #83
BHPian

January 2018 is here. Any news on bookings being open? As per some speculations which were doing rounds, bookings were supposed to start in Jan 2018 .
Old 30th January 2018, 15:52   #84
BHPian

India-made BMW G310GS launched in Indonesia – Apprx Rs 45k more expensive than G310R (from Rushlane)

https://www.rushlane.com/bmw-g310gs-...-12193905.html

From the article,

Quote:
Recently BMW G310GS was launched in Indonesia, for an approximate price tag of IDR 125 million. It has also been launched in Japan where the price starts from 6.7 lakh yen, which is approximately Rs 3.82 lakh. This is about Rs 45-50k more expensive than the G310R. Both, G310R and G310GS will be launched in India later this year. As they are made in India, expect price tag to be in the range of Rs 3 lakh.
125 IDR is approx. equivalent to 5.90 lakhs, whereas 6.7 lakh Yen is equivalent to 3.9 lakhs. Indonesia equivalent pricing is too high for India while the Japanese equivalent may become reality and which is what I think BMW will also be targeting, around 3.75 - 4 lakhs ex-showroom price for G310GS. This will give them a headroom of 50K - 75K below to launch the G310R around the price bracket of 3 - 3.25 lakhs ex-showroom price.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

So looks like 2018 it is. Had almost givenup hope on this one.
Pricing and maintenance cost would play a critical role. Although not directly, but i guess the xpulse, confirmed around the same time, could play a party spoiler. Makes more sense for a bike to bash around without worrying much on the expenses. A test ride of both will eventually decide, but i am more inclined towards the hero now.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 12:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon this gem of a review and thought I should share it with you all.
Just watching the review made me smile. The simplicity of it all, both the motorcycle and the presentation, is something that I miss sometimes.
I was neither a huge fan of the G310 GS before, nor did I hate it. But after watching this review, I really need one in my life!
shyn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 18:55   #87
BHPian

Being made in India, I hope these motorcycles do not cross the 3 lakh mark. Because, at that price, they will be feeding their potential buyers to KTM. Also, as mentioned in the review, KTM cannot ignore the GS and will have to come up with an adventure variant of their smaller capacity engines.

I do not know about other regions, but riding a motorcycle in Navi Mumbai and the ever-under-construction roads of Mumbai, an adventure motorcycle makes a lot of sense. Hope the tax rebates and competition offer some great rides at affordable prices.
Old 9th March 2018, 19:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
I was neither a huge fan of the G310 GS before, nor did I hate it. But after watching this review, I really need one in my life!
Absolutely! I have been searching for a upgrade/sidegrade for my D390 and this might just be it. Hopefully the price is ~3lakh.

Is this the ultimate do anything Karizma upgrade?
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 00:42   #89
BHPian

I would take the BMW G310 if it is priced less than 3L. After all this is BMW I can afford to own in India atleast for the next 10 years. But I am still 3 years away from riding a motorcycle in India and I sincerely hope that the service cost of this particular bike is kept based on its selling price. The overall trend I am seeing with these superbikes are that the maintenance cost are easily above the Maruti/Toyota/Ford cars of similar price point. I will have my apprehensions in spending 8k to 10k INR for each and every service on a motorcycle. Also I will have tough time convincing the better half to allow me to buy one at this price range . She always tell me that two wheelers are not safe and better go for a Car with all safety bells and whistles and get a 150cc commuter bike for local commutes. Lets wait and see the price and the service cost of the model when it launches in India.
Old 10th March 2018, 12:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled upon this gem of a review and thought I should share it with you all.
Indeed a lovely review. Thanks for sharing
Quote:
This does look like a perfect fit for our kinda roads where even normal tarmac at times feel like moderate off-road. And I was noticing the pillion seat as well. Do you guys think this would be comfortable for the pillion? As when it comes to bikes for us 30+ married folks, home ministry's approval counts a lot.

At the end of the video Harry makes a good point. 'There's no way KTM can't put that 390 engine in an adventure chasis and pit it right against this'. Exciting times ahead.

Most Viewed