Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2006, 17:47   #1

Hi Guys,

I have to replace my bike's clutchplate quite soon. My bike's clocked 60K plus k.m. and the pickup has waned a little due to the worn-out clutch.

I asked the TVS service centres about replacement - they say they'll charge Rs. 1400 for clutch plates plus labour. Is it really that costly to get a replacement clutchplate (and pressure plates of course)? I happened to ask around some other shops for clutch plates. I can get the same for around 400 Rs. (they come in a good packaging of the TVS company!!!) and can get them fitted from my mechanic, who's quite skilled. But I need to be sure of the quality of these other clutchplates.

Please advise me what needs to be done here. And are ther any other manufacturers for TVS Fiero Clutch plates other than the company??
Old 9th October 2006, 19:41   #2
BHPian

Even i have a suzuki fiero 2001 and i completely know what you're talking about.

See till tvs and suzuki had a tie-up a lot of parts incl. clutch and cdi etc very original imported suzuki. Hence resulting in their prices to be the highest in the market. The Suzuki clutch plates cost around 1500 as you said and yes the ones made by TVS are way cheaper.

TVS clutch would be just fine with you but wont last you 60k like it did i assume. I changed mine at 40k. Tell the TVS centre that you dont mind having the TVS clutch plates installed.. The reason for why they are chargin you this much is prolly cause they have some old stock remaining.

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 9th October 2006 at 19:42.
Old 9th October 2006, 21:20   #3
BHPian

It would be better if you go in for original clutch plates provided by TVS.

The cheaper clutch plates will cost you a lot leeser (some will even come for 250 bucks), but will last a lot lesser than the OEMs(believe me, some of them last for only as long as 5000 kms). The TVS clutches are expensive (as is the case with all TVS spares), but will last a lot longer...mine have been going strong for 20k kms....and a lot more to go.

A one time investment for quite a while....
Old 9th October 2006, 21:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Hi Guys,
I have to replace my bike's clutchplate quite soon. My bike's clocked 60K plus k.m. and the pickup has waned a little due to the worn-out clutch.
60K kms on the OE clutch plates? Thats good. Less city driving, I guess. I changed my Ambition's at 42K kms. Cost me around 900Rs. Avoid TVS. All stuff from TVS would suffer from a either an image or quality issue. Part from that TVS bikes dont make the spares, They outsource them, test it and brand it. You can perhaps buy the same make in the local market

If you can spend more, try the imported fibre clutch plates in the market. I guess they are smoother, but wear faster.
Old 10th October 2006, 04:37   #5
BHPian

@mail4ajo - pls refrain from making lame comments...when did u know that TVS sells crappy spares? I use TVS spares day in and day out.and also pls stop this ambition thingy everywhere...for heavens sake!

@all - the fiero plates cost u 1470/- here in bangalore and the steel plates another 270rs. Now if u are really keen on cutting cost, buy the centra's plates which cost u 370rs. The quality is the same. The grooves are bit closer than stock and out of the 5, 1 plate has a half cut..indeally used for better oil flow to clutch in the centra.
Now when u arrange teh clutch plates place the half plate 2nd from the clutch bell. I'm using this set-up on my 18bhp 200cc fiero and no clutch slip even after drag sessions and plenty of torture. The stock plates normally last for 45-50k kms under normal usage and under racing scenes last 15k kms. I'm running on my 4th clutch set-up coz of my usage but my bike produces atleast 30% more torque than a stock fiero and it still hold good. so NEVER buy any local stuff that ur mech says. u get brands like Makino etc for 250rs...but the diff is in the material. The OE plates come with aluminium plates but the local ones are made of card-board like material. ideally they tend to stick to each other under viscosity leading to a slipping set-up.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:20   #6
BHPian

The latest Fiero plates which are now being made by TVS and also the same quality in use on the TVS APACHE is available . The price for a set is Rs 165, these are sold with warranty and these parts were introduce dby TVS about 3 months ago
Old 10th October 2006, 18:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
@mail4ajo - pls refrain from making lame comments...when did u know that TVS sells crappy spares? I use TVS spares day in and day out.and also pls stop this ambition thingy everywhere...for heavens sake!
No offense meant fieroid... I know you make and work on bikes and will fight tooth and nail for the Fiero. I go by market numbers and mine and actual user experiences only. I am not an Engineer or a mechanic. All bikes right from Ind Suzuki till Fiero were great. Shogun was truely king of its time. Quality has turned bad after the divorce of TVS and Suzuki. I strongly feel TVS lacks the competence to develop and market bikes that can steam the current emperor - BAJAJ. Dont take my word for this, Look at the sales charts and you will know.
Old 10th October 2006, 19:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
The latest Fiero plates which are now being made by TVS and also the same quality in use on the TVS APACHE is available . The price for a set is Rs 165, these are sold with warranty and these parts were introduce dby TVS about 3 months ago
the apache plates are not possible on the fiero coz the clutch bell and the whole mechanism is different. The secondary drive and primary is also different from the fiero. The apache uses victor type clutch.however the quality is the same.

@mail4ajo - its surpising that u said bajaj has better quality. HH and TVS still score high on quality parts man. Though Suzuki quit TVS, the quality assurance remains pretty much the same. Ofcourse there is a lot of localization of parts over the jap one
Old 11th October 2006, 11:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
the apache plates are not possible on the fiero coz the clutch bell and the whole mechanism is different. The secondary drive and primary is also different from the fiero. The apache uses victor type clutch.however the quality is the same.

@mail4ajo - its surpising that u said bajaj has better quality. HH and TVS still score high on quality parts man. Though Suzuki quit TVS, the quality assurance remains pretty much the same. Ofcourse there is a lot of localization of parts over the jap one
I never said APACHE plates for Fiero , please read the post I said QUALITY

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks