Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 22:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
oh my lord!

I see you finally got the claw. What are the other things apart from the jerry can you've mounted on the bike?
Thank you very much for your kind words.

Yes i did check out both versions of the bag and felt more comfortable with the CLAW.

Apart from the Jerry Can, the white cover contained my sleeping bag and essentials spares for the bike.

Sad buddie that you had drop out of the ride, it would sure have been worth it. But am not sure how the Versys would have fared on the jungle route that we took. Especially with those long water wading upto 2-3 feet and chocolate sauce (Dare i call them slush), series of Camel humps which would have shamed any motocross circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
How do you climb on the bike when it's loaded like this? Do you leave it on stand and then climb?
Yes indeed, put the side stand and do a side hop, you are in the rider's seat
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hello All,
Been quite some time since i updated my thread.
Putting in a teaser after my recent ride.
Hello mate long time eh! It is wonderful to see the RE Himalayan in its backyard. Awesome pics mate, post some more and do share your experience with the motorcycle behaviour on the said terrain. Your Himalayan looks like it is on a cross country riding sojourn.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:01   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind words.

Yes i did check out both versions of the bag and felt more comfortable with the CLAW.

Apart from the Jerry Can, the white cover contained my sleeping bag and essentials spares for the bike.

Sad buddie that you had drop out of the ride, it would sure have been worth it. But am not sure how the Versys would have fared on the jungle route that we took. Especially with those long water wading upto 2-3 feet and chocolate sauce (Dare i call them slush), series of Camel humps which would have shamed any motocross circuit.

Yes indeed, put the side stand and do a side hop, you are in the rider's seat
After all the advice I gave you, I am myself veering towards the claw V2. Though would like to see how it works with the quick release rok straps. So I see that even the 70 litre claw couldn't swallow everything you needed, and you did need additional bags - hence the utility of the luggage rack. I will probably need to rig one up too.

Without DS tyres, the versys is as good as a street bike. That's number 1 on my agenda in the new year. Getting very frustrating sourcing reasonable inexpensive tyres for this "tourer".

Any pictures or videos of the chocolate pudding? I'm salivating here.
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After all the advice I gave you, I am myself veering towards the claw V2.

Getting very frustrating sourcing reasonable inexpensive tyres for this "tourer".

Any pictures or videos of the chocolate pudding? I'm salivating here.
Hey,
Claw is pretty good to be honest, only issue is it might veer towards you shifting weights slowly as the day progresses. Only way around is to keep tightening them. I had to keep the spares outside as my bike was carrying some additional food supplies for the troupe. Else a 70 liter claw should be more than good enough. Went in for the cheaper V1 since I did not fancy paying a premium for a few more compartments.

The tires will be dicey for you to procure for the versys unless you are ok with shelling out those big ones. Would the Scrambler tires be of different dimensions when compared to Versys?

There are a couple of videos which my other riding partner has taken, will try to put them up as soon as i lay my hands on them.
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:24   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
Claw is pretty good to be honest, only issue is it might veer towards you shifting weights slowly as the day progresses. Only way around is to keep tightening them. I had to keep the spares outside as my bike was carrying some additional food supplies for the troupe. Else a 70 liter claw should be more than good enough. Went in for the cheaper V1 since I did not fancy paying a premium for a few more compartments.

The tires will be dicey for you to procure for the versys unless you are ok with shelling out those big ones. Would the Scrambler tires be of different dimensions when compared to Versys?

There are a couple of videos which my other riding partner has taken, will try to put them up as soon as i lay my hands on them.
Ah. Are extra compartments the only difference between the two versions? I need to make a visit to letsgearup and check it out in person (Though I don't have a hyperlong trip coming up in the next few months).

The scrambler tyres match - they are the pirelli MT 60. But will last exactly one trip to the NE and back. They are very soft mud pluggers. And they cost about 30-35k a pop, if I'm not wrong.

Some of these reasons make me question "high-cost maintenance touring bikes". There's an oxymoron right there.

Would you mind sharing the full route map on Gmaps? Will put it into my "planned routes" bucket.

Looking forward to the videos!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah. Are extra compartments the only difference between the two versions?

The scrambler tyres match - they are the pirelli MT 60. But will last exactly one trip to the NE and back. They are very soft mud pluggers.

Would you mind sharing the full route map on Gmaps? Will put it into my "planned routes" bucket.

Looking forward to the videos!
Hello Ramana,
That's what I could perceive after seeing them. But I would wait to hear from you.

Ouch 35K is for sure expensive but for those terrain you need soft tires which hold well in those slushy conditions. Only concern will be the sidewall and how well they will handle those stones.

Will surely share those maps once I complete the TL, else I will PM if you are in a hurry
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:46   #127
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mahesh. Nice thread, nice to see that you are using the bike where it is intended to be. I am impressed with the way RE has been evolving over the years.

Though I was impressed with the ride and handling package offered by the himalayan, I did not bother to check it out as it does not seem to suit my height, 6' 2".

Waiting for your himalayan travelogue. Hope to meet you soon. Ride safe.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 10:50   #128
BHPian

Why did you downgrade from FZ1 to TB 500? Was there any specific reason ? Can you elaborate on the vibrations when cruising between 90-100 in the himalayan when compared to a duke 390 ?
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 11:22   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ouch 35K is for sure expensive but for those terrain you need soft tires which hold well in those slushy conditions. Only concern will be the sidewall and how well they will handle those stones.
Yes, those are the prices because of the stupid tyre embargo in our country. In slushy conditions or when offroad, deflating the tyres down by 10 PSI works best, so you have more rubber per sq.inch and therefore much more traction. Then inflate again when you hit tarmac. This will solve the issue of "harder" compound DS tyres not flexing or working as well in off-road situations.

Yes, in softer tyres the sidewall will flex and if you ride hard over mixed road conditions, you risk damage to your rim. And rocks will splice the sidewall too if not handled with care.

There's a brand called Veerubber which makes very good DS tyres, which Urban Nomad has kindly put me onto. Hope something works out in the new year.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:33   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats Mahesh. Nice thread, nice to see that you are using the bike where it is intended to be.
Thanks Mate, real long time since I bumped into you. Will put up the TL in some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Why did you downgrade from FZ1 to TB 500? Was there any specific reason ? Can you elaborate on the vibrations when cruising between 90-100 in the himalayan when compared to a duke 390 ?
Well I would think otherwise, speeds no longer thrill as it used to do earlier. I did have my share of hi speeds which I cannot mention here due to restrictions.
The ability to go anywhere was actually made me switch to TB500 from FZ1 and now into Himalayan.

90-100 there are minimal vibrations in the Himalayan but cannot comment with conviction on the duke 390 since I have not ridden it extensivel.
Old 12th August 2017, 22:43   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello, long time no news here. Hope all is good. How is the bike doing? Are you on some trip somewhere (NOT figuratively lol)
Old 14th August 2017, 16:01   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you on some trip somewhere (NOT figuratively lol)
Hello Ramana,
Things have been pretty easy and silent for the time being with some time being devoted to family. Doubtful if am going to plan any rides this year.

The bike is just doing fine and recently got it serviced. RE Guys seem to be very pro active ever since my service. Apparently she has had her share of replacements in the last service and is holding up pretty well.

Nothing much to report excepting the routine stuff. Need to replace the tire and will do probably till i see some strings hanging loose
Old 16th August 2017, 12:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing much to report excepting the routine stuff.
You seem to be one "lucky Himalayan Owner" Keep your fingers crossed. I am saying this on the basis of a lot of reports of parts "falling off" etc. on various WA Groups etc.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 16th August 2017, 13:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
You seem to be one "lucky Himalayan Owner"

Ram
Hello Ram Sir,
How are you doing?

To be honest I feel its a bit hyped up. People taking jumps for which the motorcycle is actually not built for. Excepting the Head Clatter that I had initially which was taken care of with minimal intervention from my end had nothing else to complain.

The Steering Stem was replaced since I could not get the steering setup to my satisfaction. Charging Electrical System was replaced since battery charging was not up to the mark. Mine was one of the first complaints that I had made to my service station and later I believe a lot more bikes were replaced with it.

Clutch kit was replaced twice even though no complaints from my end on hard gear shifts. All about matching the RPM with gear shifts but I guess its hard for everyone to do the same.

Rear tire has held up fine and I think its due for replacement over the next couple of thousand, since no major ride planned for this year it will hold up well.

Two complaints that I have on the bike

1) Difference between first and Second: On tricky situations where you are uphill crawling, the first gear is too short and the second gear does not actually lug from that RPM. Feel this is sort of basic design flaw and am not sure that the RE Designated, trained and professional riders could not identify during their test runs in Himalayas

2) Power: After 110 Kays it the curve is lost and the motorcycle takes ages to progress any further.

OEM Headlight and its throw is still one of the best in business, serves me very well.

Have not seen any surface rust so far even though the bike is parked outside facing all the natural elements.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:59   #135
BHPian

The road is calling again and somehow two wheels feels more attractive now thanks to the Himalayans appeal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks