Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 12:07   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Hi.

After good usage, could you give your views vs the TB 500?
Hello,
The most important thing that I miss in my Himalayan is the addictive torque. The need to shift gears is higher in Himalayan when compared to TB 500. Suspension is leaps and bounds ahead of the TB especially the rear. TB 500 literally has zero action when compared to Himalayan.

The last Friday(Sept 23rd) I did another of my Bangalore loop covering roughly 860 kms in a dawn to dusk ride and the only area where I missed my TB is its fuel tank.

KMPL seems to be lower in my Himalayan when compared to the TB 500, but do remember my bike does have fueling issues and I have been plain lazy to get it rectified.

Tires on the Himalayan seems to be softer compound. With around 7600 kms clocked, the round profile is now nearly square profile. But I must admit that I have been quite harsh on the tires.

Given a choice again between TB Vs Himalayan, I am yet to decide.
Only turn off is the lack of top end in my Himalayan, whereas my TB used to pretty comfortable at 120s all day long before vibes would have crept in. Himalayan somehow struggles going past 110 which can be sometimes a bit sore. 90-100 is its sweet point. I need to sort out the carb first before I can get more convinced with the Himalayan.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 12:46   #107
BHPian

Thanks for your input.

What about the pillion comfort level comparison sir?
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 13:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post

What about the pillion comfort level comparison sir?
Pillion Comfort is Himalayan on any given day. Even for the rider its very easy to manage with a pillion but only grouse the legs foul with each other. Think its the same with TB but I do not recollect it.

Sorry missed your point in the prior post
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 19:05   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
I need to sort out the carb first before I can get more convinced with the Himalayan.
Hello Sir,

Do you feel the need for an EFI version here being a TB500 user ?

I am in the same dilemma as I currently own a Classic 500 Efi and will change the bike in a year's time. A lot of people have praised the Himalayan at least over the current RE range.

Maybe Himalayan or might wait for the twin cylinder one which is in rumour stage.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 19:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hello Sir,

Do you feel the need for an EFI version here being a TB500 user ?
Well the bike from a design perspective is definitely better than the TB500/CL500. Suspension, handling, Fit and Finish, quality of product...ticks all the boxes you look for.

EFI Vs Carb: Both have their share of pluses & minuses.

My only grouse as of now is the lack of top end performance. But therein again the engine is much more well refined than TB 500. Probably once I get my fueling issues sorted out with more apt tuning I will be able to comment.

RE on the other hand did a commendable job with a silent 'recall' and sorting out the ugly, noisy tappet noise and better gear shifts. I need to be a bit more patient with the carb tuning for which am unable to make time for it. (Yes EFI will have simplified this chore for me)

PS: Do check out on the new bikes that are for delivery. Engines and gear shifts are real smooth

Last edited by ku69rd : 26th September 2016 at 19:13.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 10:01   #111
BHPian

Quote:
My only grouse as of now is the lack of top end performance. But therein again the engine is much more well refined than TB 500. Probably once I get my fueling issues sorted out with more apt tuning I will be able to comment.
By top end how high do you mean? 80+, 100+ ?
timuseravan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 13:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
By top end how high do you mean? 80+, 100+ ?
Hello,
By top end I would mean a sweet spot between 100 to 120. That should be a good cruising speed all day long and does not cause much strain.
Heard that the HSR Guys have got the Off Road Silencer, Jerry Cans & Clamps. Will be checking them later out for the Silencer.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 12:48   #113
BHPian

Hello ku69rd,
A great and comprehensive review of the Himalayan indeed. And for me it comes at at a very apppropriate time as I am planning to buy my first motorcycle (yes I have always been a four wheeler!&#128556. And I am planning to buy an RE. I am looking for a motorcycle for city commutes and a fortnightly rides on the highways and a bit of off-roading.
I am considering the TB 350 and the Himalayan. Had visited the RE showroom on Hosur Road yesterday and I fell in love with the looks of the Himalayan, and so did my wifey. 😊 Haven't taken the test rides yet.

I found your review to be very useful as you have owned a TB500 for 3 years and are now moving on to the Himalayan. With my limited experience in motorcycles, my opinion is the TB is a perfect tourer and cruiser whereas the Himalayan is bst fit for off-roading, and rough terrain. And so I feel that the TB is best fit for highways and city traffic alike.

Can you help me with a few key differences (positive and negative) between the TB and the Himalayan. I am 6.3, would using the motorcycle 2-3 days during week for city commute, and highways every other weekend. My wifey would be on pillion during the highway rides.

Again, I really liked your review and is very apt for my current situation (TB or Himalayan).

Thanks.
harryskt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 00:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi harryskt.

Based on the usage you mentioned, IMO you would be best off buying the Himalayan.

In my opinion, the TB is not really very good when it is ridden off road. Of course, the Himalayan is set up for that sort of riding.

As for riding in the city, the extra fork travel on the Himalayan can also prove to be a useful asset if the streets are rough and potholed.

Although the TB is good for highway use, the slight increase in engine size on the Himalayan over the TB 350 can make riding 2 up a little less stressful for the riders and for the machine.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 16:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post

Again, I really liked your review and is very apt for my current situation (TB or Himalayan).

Thanks.
Thank you very much for your kind words Harry.
For a person standing at 6'3 i think the Himalayan might be a bit cramped. However do check it out and I would rate it better on any given day in lieu of TB 350.

Arizonjim is also right with his comments on the engine displacement. However check out the seating posture and decide on it.
If you need any help do PM me and will be more than happy to sort things out for you.
Old 15th November 2016, 12:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind words Harry.
For a person standing at 6'3 i think the Himalayan might be a bit cramped. However do check it out and I would rate it better on any given day in lieu of TB 350.
I'm 6'2" and I found the Himalayan to be much more comfortable and easier to ride compared to the TB. The TB had too much of an awkward riding position for me, especially the handlebars.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
I'm 6'2" and I found the Himalayan to be much more comfortable and easier to ride compared to the TB.
That's good information, a friend of mine had an issue with his knees fouling with the frame which fastens the head light. Hence my apprehensions...
As long as you are comfortable then so be it, happy that you will be able to experience the ride
Old 21st December 2016, 15:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,
Been quite some time since i updated my thread.
Putting in a teaser after my recent ride.
My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20161221wa0063.jpg

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20161221wa0064.jpg

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20161221wa0065.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 16:26   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

oh my lord! Absolutely phenomenal scenes! Please do post a full trip report mate - you owe it to us!

I see you finally got the claw. What are the other things apart from the jerry can you've mounted on the bike?

PS: I couldn't make it for the proposed NE trip of mine (my buddies did it however). Very happy you made it. I hope to do it in the coming year.

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st December 2016 at 16:27.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:52   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Been quite some time since i updated my thread.
Putting in a teaser after my recent ride.
Attachment 1587304
How do you climb on the bike when it's loaded like this? Do you leave it on stand and then climb?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks