Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 15:34   #16

Re: March 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis

Was wondering why some manufactures not reporting data !!

• Ducati
    Indian Motorcycles
    Aprillia
    MV Agusta
Old 27th April 2016, 18:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Hi RajeevRaj,
Do you happen to have the break up of the Activa Numbers?
I mean, How many 110cc and how many 125cc models of the Activa were sold?
Unfortunately no. I don't think the manufacturers share numbers at that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
The monthly figures of XL Super never ceases to amaze me.
Agree. It is a darling of the rural market. And I just realized that they also have a 100cc XL now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post

A query! You are showing Bajaj Boxer in the 100-125 cc sales as 11. Is there a relaunch of it? Surely, this is not the export quantity I guess. Is there something I am missing? Thanks again for the detailed analysis.
Not very sure. I assume it is some left over stock that some dealer suddenly wanted or picked up. Maybe based on demand from some fleet customers. Just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
One small observation seeing the sales figure was that 80% of the total sales are accounted for by models that are discussed maybe just 20% or even lower on forums, websites etc.

The bulk of the discussions are usually only on 'enthusiast' bikes on on-line forums, websites etc. but they account for meagre sales percentages.

This just goes on to show that two wheeler sales in India still are and would be primarily in commutator segment for years and years to come. That is where a a two wheeler company would be made or spared, and that's where most of the energies of all two wheeler companies still go !
Good point. Actually 30-35% of sales come just from 2 models. The Splendor and Activa. It is a huge up hill battle for the others. But there is an opportunity as well to break that domination. Any company or model that can do that would have hit a gold mine. Although it is better in the four wheeler world, it is not too different. Cars like the Alto/Wagon R have been around a very long time and still rule the market.

The higher end of the market is slowing growing. Especially the 200cc and above. Again an area of great potential.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:17   #18
BHPian

Why hasn't bajaj displayed sales of its Flagship RS200? Are they really that low that bajaj is too embarrassed?
Also no mention of the AS200/150 but bajaj is still showing sales of 180/200ns when the NS has been discontinued long back.

Any clarity whether bajaj is clubbing all these models under the 180/200ns section??

Also did see a mention of 1 dispatch of the ktm duke 125?? launch around the corner?

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 28th April 2016 at 12:20.
Old 28th April 2016, 21:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Any clarity whether bajaj is clubbing all these models under the 180/200ns section??Also did see a mention of 1 dispatch of the ktm duke 125?? launch around the corner?

Regards
That should probably be the case. They should be combining all under the 200ns line item. Not sure about the Duke 125, it has been 0 for several months. Probably some test vehicle? Could be a mistake also, there have been minor discrepancies with the data occasionally.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 28th April 2016 at 21:42.
Old 28th April 2016, 21:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think the Splendor was lauched in '94, and has been a top seller ever since. I think it has been selling a million units a year for at least a decade now!
Old 6th May 2016, 11:41   #21
BHPian

Thank You for such a detailed analysis Rajeevraj. Quite surprised to see the astounding sales for splendor.

And, what did I just Read? 1 unit for KTM 125CC. When did they launch a 125 cc KTM? Are they launching the RC 125/Duke 125?
Old 13th May 2016, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Unbelievable to see that one the best automatic scooters India has ever seen, that is TVS WEGO is seeing such bad numbers in terms of sales. Compared to that Jupiter, sells by a heavy difference 45K+ units per month.

Having used Activa extensively, I find Wego way better controlled. In fact it is better balanced and controlled then Jupiter in my experience. Having a full metal chassis, makes it more rugged in a city like Delhi. The abuse that my Wego bears and still shines can never be handled by fiber chassis scooters.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverm View Post
Was wondering why some manufactures not reporting data !!

• Ducati
    Indian Motorcycles
    Aprillia
    MV Agusta
also

DSK Hyosung
DSK Benelli
Moto Guzzi
BMW Motorrad

The SIAM numbers for the above brands are not published since they have not registered with SIAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Unbelievable to see that one the best automatic scooters India has ever seen, that is TVS WEGO is seeing such bad numbers in terms of sales. Compared to that Jupiter, sells by a heavy difference 45K+ units per month.

Having used Activa extensively, I find Wego way better controlled. In fact it is better balanced and controlled then Jupiter in my experience. Having a full metal chassis, makes it more rugged in a city like Delhi. The abuse that my Wego bears and still shines can never be handled by fiber chassis scooters.

Once again proves that once a brand has ruled for around 10 years.. its almost impossible to dethrone it.. even with Superior offerings.

On top of that the challenger (like the Wego/Jupiter) will always be under threat from other products like Maestro/Duet, Access, Fascino/Ray Z etc. On the other hand the leader (in this case the Activa) sits pretty at the top.

Same story is seen else where as well.. for Eg. Maruti Alto, Swift/Dezire, Mahindra Bolero, Honda City, Toyota Innova/Fortuner etc.

Last edited by payeng : 13th May 2016 at 12:08.
Old 13th May 2016, 14:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I am surprised to see why the Activa sells this much, except for the ultra-reliable engine, there is absolutely nothing worth the money. But then, I want to share my story as to why it sells.

My brother had a Hero Honda Passion which never required any major part change or service for his 8 years of ownership but my first two-wheeler was an Activa and boy, it had so many front fork alignment issues that I started ignoring it. The silencer welding came off and had to be re-welded again. Engine switch and kick starter part replaced as it got jammed. Mirrors don't have tightening mechanism at the joint (they are held by a glue which wears off meaning you have to replace the entire unit else it starts dangling).
Horn got replaced as water went inside it. The front link type suspension is a joke, it becomes stiff within two years. Handlebar loosening (remember your bicycle's loose pivot ?) is common and that causes rattles and vibrations. Braking again is hopeless.
I've skidded off my wife's Hero Honda Pleasure and my Activa twice, that is when I lost confidence in these scooters. Despite my concerns my dad, my brother and my cousin bought another Activa/Dio again

PS: The handlebar loosening/rattling issue is present in all three Honda scooters we have currently and brother's Dio had kick-starter replaced under warranty
I completely agree. Last year I wanted to replace my dad's almost 10 year old Activa with new motorcycle. I researched on TBHP, took test rides and finalized and bought TVS Jupiter as the best of the lot.
The first question from my brother and couple of friends: Why didn't you buy Activa?
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks