Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Yamaha launches Cygnus Ray-ZR scooter at Rs. 52,000

Feels as though it was about to evolve into a transformer but stopped midway! Looks sweet. Giving a Kinetic Blaze kinda engine would suit the body.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:09   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

<I do not mean any offense to Yamaha scooter owner's feelings. Just my personal feeling (frustration)>

The power/torque output has become predictable for all 2 wheeler launches in 100,110,111,111.15 , 125,150,160 cc 2 whelers in India and hence there is very little which grabs my attention in a new launch!

A refresh means stickers job (thanks Splendor/passion/cd series).
A new model means new headlamps, grab rails and instruments cluster (thanks Honda Dream series and many more).

A Ray is just another 100cc 7 bhp scooter which helped Yamaha mark its presence in Automatic scooters segment. And, it is Yamaha's answer to Honda Dio. Both are modern, have more cuts on their plastic/fiber bodies and that's all about it! Gas charged suspension is a segment new though!
Zinda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:34   #18
BHPian

It's good to see product like these, since every other scooter in market looks identical.
It would definitely be a head turner.
Hope, it give good competition to rivals.
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:40   #19
BHPian

Wow, such polarising opinions on the looks.

Personally I think it looks cool. I like that these Activa alternatives are becoming more common on the streets nowadays. Let's hope someone knocks Honda off their high horse.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:31   #20
BHPian

Yamaha's scooters look great and have a solid build quality. But what is not so good are the power figures from their engine units. Yamaha's scooters are one of the slowest among its competitors. This is why I will probably getting Suzuki Access 125 or Activa 125. Always wanted a Yamaha, but performance here is poor.
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:28   #21
BANNED

Cute look. Innovative as well as aggressive styling. Golden alloys are just marvelous. However, I think, this cute machine is under powered. Best suited for youngsters. All the best to Yamaha.
Old 23rd April 2016, 21:30   #22

I was hoping Yamaha would prioritize practicality over "futuristic looks", more so given the market this product is aimed at. What path-breaking engineering would it have taken Yamaha to make the kick starter work the other way, as in the TVS Jupiter, so that it doesn't foul the center stand? And bigger wheels would have certainly been most welcome. Instead of the fancy panels, a steering column mounted headlamp would have made better sense from a usability perspective.
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Yamaha is not going to take their game lightly in the scooter segment. Bajaj Auto had become a soft target and had packed up after Honda was emerging as the no. 1 . Bajaj had many other corporate reasons, but with their shoddy products not in sync with the times, its good that they exited the scooter segment.

The Cygnus Ray ZR is extremely complicated in design. The Dio looks simpler in comparison. In some of the present day automobiles which have no congruence in design, we joke that three different groups of designers designed the rear, middle and front portions.

For the Yamaha Cygnus Ray, it would be prudent to conclude that three or four groups of designers all of whom wanted to have their own way designed the front portion. And I am still calculating the number of designers engaged to conceptualise the middle and rear portions.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd April 2016 at 23:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks