Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 15:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bajaj 200 NS equipped with ABS spotted testing

After being discontinued in June 2015, two test mules of the Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS have been spotted just outside Pune. One of the two bikes was equipped with ABS. The ABS unit is likely to be the same as the one available on the RS 200 as an option.

The Pulsar 200 NS was a hit when it entered the Indian market. It had a 199.5cc, single-cylinder, liquid cooled engine that was capable of producing 23.17 BHP and 18.3 Nm of torque. This engine is similar to the one used to power the KTM 200 Duke. Bajaj also used the same engine on the models that followed - the AS 200 and RS 200.

If and when the 200 NS makes a re-entry in the Indian market, it will be up against the KTM 200 Duke and the TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. The Pulsar 150 NS is also expected to be launched in India. The bike is already available in international markets.

Source: MotorBeam

Bajaj 200 NS equipped with ABS spotted testing-pulsar200nsabs.jpg

Bajaj 200 NS equipped with ABS spotted testing-pulsar200nsabsfi.jpg

Bajaj 200 NS equipped with ABS spotted testing-pulsar200nsfi.jpg
Omkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 16:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj 200 NS equipped with ABS spotted testing

I see 'Kawasaki' branding on the flanks of the bike. Also when I zoomed in on the front wheel, I could see something that looks like a ABS ring.
The RS already sports a single channel ABS, so it would be logical for Bajaj to introduce it for NS.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 07:29   #3
BHPian

NS200 has a big problem of rear wheel skidding. I dont believe it makes real impact with a front only ABS when rear is the real and only issue in this bike. However, ABS is good even if it is single, read 50% safer

Note: I use a 2014 NS200 and if anyone has any interest in converting their NS200 to ABS or have some ideas on it, please ping me. I am from Bangalore.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 11:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
NS200 has a big problem of rear wheel skidding. I dont believe it makes real impact with a front only ABS when rear is the real and only issue in this bike. However, ABS is good even if it is single, read 50% safer

Note: I use a 2014 NS200 and if anyone has any interest in converting their NS200 to ABS or have some ideas on it, please ping me. I am from Bangalore.

Slamming the Rear Wheels First/Only while braking on any motorcycle is the most common cause of a Rear Wheel Lock / Slide.

The correct way of braking on a motorcycle is thereby (theoretically) 75% effort on the front brakes and 25% on the rear. With the front tyre taking care of the braking duties, the rear wheel doesn't easily lock under braking.

Front wheel lock usually takes place in case the surface is loose/slippery.. and when that happens, mostly it results in a crash. Recovering from a front wheel lock is very difficult.

Single Channel ABS is like riding a motorcycle with Off-Road ABS Mode- Which disables the ABS on the rear wheels and that allows the rider to intentionally lock the rear wheel / slide the rear wheel under off road conditions, in order to get more grip from the loose surface.

It is the front wheel which matters most while braking and for safe braking it is desired that under no circumstance should the front wheel lock should take place.

Personally for me: Single Channel ABS is All I Need.

Last edited by payeng : 21st April 2016 at 11:52.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 06:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The correct way of braking on a motorcycle is thereby (theoretically) 75% effort on the front brakes and 25% on the rear. With the front tyre taking care of the braking duties, the rear wheel doesn't easily lock under braking.
Personally for me: Single Channel ABS is All I Need.
Your point is right about braking, however the issue with NS200 is specific. Its rear brake is too sensitive. The moment you touch it, the wheel skids. I have seen a lot of NS200 rear wheel skids in Bangalore traffic (even in crawling traffic). When I bought my NS I skidded atleast 10 times in the first 40 kms. Immediately I did two things :-
1) Changed from horrible TVS to Michellin Pilots. Skidding was now more controlled.
2) Lowered the position of the gear lever so that the 'travel' or 'play' is more and hence I need to exert more pressure to lock the rear wheels.

Unfortunately most people are not aware of this adjustment or the issue with TVS tyre. Hence, I suggest rear ABS for NS200 (I wouldn't want a rear ABS for say a bike like ZMA). Yes, professionals love without it, but having ridden my friends RTR ABS for sometime, for a normal rider like me dual channel ABS is a gift from god! My next change is definitely a bike with dual channel ABS.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 25th April 2016 at 06:56.
Old 25th April 2016, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately most people are not aware of this adjustment or the issue with TVS tyre. Hence, I suggest rear ABS for NS200 (I wouldn't want a rear ABS for say a bike like ZMA). Yes, professionals love without it, but having ridden my friends RTR ABS for sometime, for a normal rider like me dual channel ABS is a gift from god! My next change is definitely a bike with dual channel ABS.

True the TVS Eurogrips on the 200NS is not the best out there.

But even with Dual Channel ABS, if one only slams the rear brakes without bringing the front brakes into the picture, the ABS (on rear wheels) might not let the rear wheels lock up, but the braking distance would increase, since its the front brakes which is responsible for the lions share in stopping a motorcycle effectively.

Even if one gets a Dual Channel ABS, one would still have to learn how to brake properly on a motorcycle.

Old 26th April 2016, 07:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

Even if one gets a Dual Channel ABS, one would still have to learn how to brake properly on a motorcycle.
I agree to your points on braking and the need to learn braking. However personally (and a lot of people whom I know) are accustomed to front Disc brake and the 70-30 braking now for the past 10-14 years (right from CBZ and Pulsar's). However the problem arises during panic braking when people (incl me) tend to brake hard and the leg being more stronger than the hand, exerts more pressure on rear brake lever (rear disc brakes worsens the situation). This leads to rear skidding and has been the cause of two of my falls in the past. This is the reason why I would like to have dual channel ABS which is more or less peace of mind. You don't really need to think of not slamming rear brakes hard, just brake both hard and ensure bike is upright and we will be safe.

But yes, for a really alert person, front only ABS is good enough if he is still able to follow the 70-30 rule. Alas, family people like me have to think of buying onion and potatoes while on the way back home and then suddenly a stray dog or an autowallah jumps right in front and the mind screams - BRAKE !!!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 26th April 2016 at 07:11.
Old 26th April 2016, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However the problem arises during panic braking when people (incl me) tend to brake hard and the leg being more stronger than the hand, exerts more pressure on rear brake lever (rear disc brakes worsens the situation).

It's all to do with habit. More than aids like ABS, people need to be taught the correct way to brake first.

In my case, I learnt to use the front brakes first when I started to ride. which resulted in me using the front brakes (100%) under panic situation.. which is actually great for stopping the bike..

.. but in 2 separate incidents, the surface was loose/gravel.. which resulted in the front wheel lock.. and I was on the ground in less than a second..!!

Thankfully in both times the speed was about 20-25 kmph.. therefore got away relatively unhurt.

It only proves that even with correct braking habit, one needs (FRONT) ABS. I don't really care much for the rear since I hardly rely on the rear brakes to stop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks