Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 23:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

I also got a chance to attend the unveiling event and managed to stick around for a little longer than Samurai

Got some time to click detailed pictures of the scooter. I am very impressed by what the company has done till now. Now only if they are able to find proper suppliers who can supply the required parts and the price is kept in control, the S340 has a chance to be a reasonable success. The only factor holding back then would be the production capacity which in the initial phase will be 50 units a day. The initial sales target is around 20,000 units in the first year. Breakdown sales are estimated to be close to 50,000 units.

For those interested in the funding details, they have received a total of 81 crores till now from Tiger Global, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal. The production facility will be set up at a cost of 25 crores.

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02038.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02040.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02036.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02042.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02032.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02070.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02043.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02051.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02056.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02075.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02022.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02050.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02067.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02024.jpg

Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-dsc02027.jpg
amansanc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 01:14   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Check out the patents filed by the founders Swapnil Jain and Tarun Mehta. Electric Bike batteries is listed as patents filed by the duo.
From their youtube video,they appear to be using off the shelf 18650 batteries and I don't know what patent they could get.
Old 26th February 2016, 08:54   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
From their Youtube video,they appear to be using off the shelf 18650 batteries and I don't know what patent they could get.
Maybe they aren't using the patented tech in the battery right now. I just went and saw the list of patents filed by them and pointed it out.

Not all patents might have been used in the S340.
Old 26th February 2016, 11:44   #49

Hi,

I am Tarun, cofounder and CEO at Ather. It's brilliant to see the discussion going on here and I while so many people have been already clarifying questions here, I could not resist answering a few myself:

1) Touchscreen and rain: we are designing it to be IP65 rated which implies it is fit to work in rains (but not water submersible). The touch screen is a projective capacitive one which means it can work with light rains and even with gloves on.
2) Batteries and patents: we have filed 15 patents and 40 design registrations till now. Of course, it's a long way and I am hoping that we will end the year with 25+ patents: there's been a lot of engineering happening at Ather. Some of our patents are on the battery pack itself but none concern with the cells, which are off-the-shelf. We take a 100+ cells, assemble them and pack all the relevant electronics and thermal systems around them in an all Aluminium casing which is a structural member itself. Many of the patents that we have filed (are filing) concerning the battery are on the thermal management, packaging and the controls we have via the integrated Battery Management System.
3) Range: we are seeing 60+ kms with a good (nearly aggressive) riding in the city and 75+ kms if you drive conservatively (~40kmph). Will be able to confirm them with more road testing.
4) Weight: 20kgs lighter than a typical 110cc scooter at 90kgs.
5) Acceleration: we are out-accelerating a Vespa upto 40kmph, should be able to share numbers on our site soon.
6) Body and handling: Hybrid Al chassis and not a regular tube frame. Al swing-arm, grab-handle, rims, even the side-stand: lot of light-weighting. Rear centrally located mono-shock, 12" wheels, 20% lower CG than other scooters and a nearly perfect weight distribution on the lateral and longitudinal axis implying very good balance. I know it's all words until you guys ride it, but we are seeing it turn out to be the best handling scooter in the country by a good margin
tarun21 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 12:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun21 View Post
Hi,

I am Tarun, cofounder and CEO at Ather.
Thanks for clarifying on some of the points. I believe you guys are onto something good here and hopefully will meet with great commercial success too.
Will you be able to share some details

1) On when you plan to have these available for sales

2) When will it be made available for the press to test ride so that we get a first hand (or second hand) impression about how it feel in the real world and also about the dynamics

3) I am not asking about the price range because i understand you are probably not ready to come out with it. But again what time frame?

4) Which all cities do you plan to cover initially (assuming it is a phased launch) and how do you plan to address the ASS (dealers or company owned facilities)

will be great if you can answer these and whatever additional information you can, at this point of time.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:52   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I am Tarun, cofounder and CEO at Ather. It's brilliant to see the discussion going on here and I while so many people have been already clarifying questions here, I could not resist answering a few myself:
Hi
Can you tell us about motor.Is it a brushless motor or brushed motor or is it a induction motor?
How many kw motor is it and the nominal torque .

How many cell or volt is the battery pack and how many Amp Hours .Is the cells from a samsung/Lg or a Panasonic company.

I would also like to know if the wheelbase and all other design dimensions are finalized.

Also does it have Regen brakes ,if so is it variable.

Last edited by aim120 : 26th February 2016 at 14:03.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 13:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

1) Touchscreen and rain: we are designing it to be IP65 rated which implies it is fit to work in rains (but not water submersible). The touch screen is a projective capacitive one which means it can work with light rains and even with gloves on.
2) Batteries and patents: we have filed 15 patents and 40 design registrations till now. Of course, it's a long way and I am hoping that we will end the year with 25+ patents: there's been a lot of engineering happening at Ather. Some of our patents are on the battery pack itself but none concern with the cells, which are off-the-shelf. We take a 100+ cells, assemble them and pack all the relevant electronics and thermal systems around them in an all Aluminium casing which is a structural member itself. Many of the patents that we have filed (are filing) concerning the battery are on the thermal management, packaging and the controls we have via the integrated Battery Management System.
3) Range: we are seeing 60+ kms with a good (nearly aggressive) riding in the city and 75+ kms if you drive conservatively (~40kmph). Will be able to confirm them with more road testing.
5) Acceleration: we are out-accelerating a Vespa upto 40kmph, should be able to share numbers on our site soon.
6) Body and handling: Hybrid Al chassis and not a regular tube frame. Al swing-arm, grab-handle, rims, even the side-stand: lot of light-weighting. Rear centrally located mono-shock, 12" wheels, 20% lower CG than other scooters and a nearly perfect weight distribution on the lateral and longitudinal axis implying very good balance. I know it's all words until you guys ride it, but we are seeing it turn out to be the best handling scooter in the country by a good margin

Hi Tarun,
Am really proud of you and your thought process on this concept. Even more, appreciate you and your team to make this thought into a reality. Kudos for your efforts!
Also, Welcome to THE FORUM.

I just have one query lingering in my thoughts since I saw this thread -
The instrument cluster is completely digital and I understand one can use it only by touching it. Won't this risk concentration/ focus and hence balance of the rider while on the move...?
As a next step, can this be a voice interactive process?

Regards,
Maverick79
Old 26th February 2016, 20:44   #53

Quote:
Hi Tarun,

Let me congratulate you first, your team has done a great job. I have always envisioned such vehicles to take over from traditional IC engine powered scooters.

The acceleration you mentioned is awesome. Hope it wouldn't be sacrificed to attain longer range as you prepare for commercial production. Also since it is a light scooter the weight of rider will affect the acceleration and range more than usual I guess.
Old 26th February 2016, 21:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am Tarun, cofounder and CEO at Ather.
Great to have you here.
A couple of questions:-

Other than aiming to be an aspirational product (irrespective of power source), what would you list as technically the breakout feature of the vehicle?

Anything special about the motor? (I assume it's a Brushless PM design).

Does this have a reverse option?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th February 2016, 22:00   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for taking the initiative to chip in with your inputs. The S340 definitely has created a buzz not seen before in the Electric Scooter space. Best wishes to take your dream to realization.

One follow up question on the rain handling. From your description, my understanding is that it can handle light rains but probably cannot be used in heavy rains. Is that a correct assumption? Do you plan some kind of a protective cover for the cluster? Just thinking about the case when one is in say heavy traffic and it starts raining heavily.
Old 26th February 2016, 22:54   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Does this have a reverse option?
If you look at the video from the unveiling of the S340, Tarun rode the scooter on stage, overshot the parking position, then told the audience he missed the spot, however no problem as the scooter has a reverse mode. He then engaged reverse and backed up into the stage centre.

In short: It has reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Do you plan some kind of a protective cover for the cluster? Just thinking about the case when one is in say heavy traffic and it starts raining heavily.
I think even heavy rain will not pose a problem to the screen. However heavy rain might pose a problem in using the touch screen.

Also look at it this way. When riding your normal scooter do you ever have any buttons or menus to toggle through? Usually just the speedo and fuel gauge are displayed. So you really don't need to use the touch screen often.

My worry more than rain is the harsh sun when the scooter is parked outside. The best of plastics have faded or cracked and this is a digitizer touchscreen.

Can the LCD take such high temps over extended periods? What testing has gone into it?
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarun,

Repairs & Maintenance :
Does it need any special care ? Asking since the battery pack & design seem integrated, is it very sensitive to dents (from like possible falls, not tiny body scratches) ?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not being a cynic or discouraging, I'm really just curious because you'll have used Aluminum, instead of possibly lighter materials like plastic or toughened cardboard.

Battery Pack :
Can this design / tech be used in 4 (or more) wheelers for creating easily implementable (& safe) hybrid solutions for regular passenger vehicles ?

Can the battery pack (or a small part of it), be replaced / interchanged easily for a very slight prolonged use ?

Since India is a tropical country where most of the affluent would try to stay away from the sun (& this would quite probably be a premium lifestyle product) have you considered exporting the bike to colder places (that are going big on battery powered bikes) ?

Super curious
Old 27th February 2016, 20:10   #58
BHPian

Tarun,

Congrats! I've had come down last September to your place following a friendly invite from one of your sales/marketing people to check out the prototype and general small talk. Couldn't meet you that day, you seemed to be in a meeting or so.

Over the years I've made it a hobby to test drive Teslas whenever new features and 'driving modes' come in. I'm a huge huge fan of this electric revolution and would kill to see it happen in India. I'm super excited to see such an inspired effort from an Indian startup. Looking forward to test riding an Ather soon.
Old 29th February 2016, 15:28   #59

Quote:
Hi,

Hi Tarun

Someone mentioned using solar panels on some part of the scooter body so that the vehicle can be charged while out in the sun. How feasible is this and was this considered.

Regards
Srinivasa Rao S
Old 4th March 2016, 10:11   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Team,

Siddharth V K from Ather Energy just sent in the following responses to some queries that you had:

Quote:
Sales, Production & Test Rides

We plan to start taking pre-orders on our website in Q2 2016 and start production by the end of the year. The price will be revealed before we start taking pre-orders. In the first phase, we will launch in Bangalore, Pune and Chennai. The sales transaction will be processed online and we would operate company-owned experience centres for those who want to try out the product.

Dimensions, Power, Torque, Acceleration and other Specifications

We will be releasing a specification sheet which will contain these details around the time we start taking pre-orders. And yes, the motor is a brushless one.

The instrument cluster is completely digital and I understand one can use it only by touching it. Won't this risk concentration/ focus and hence balance of the rider while on the move...? As a next step, can this be a voice interactive process?

This is something that we have always kept in mind while designing the UI for the dashboard. Hence, we intend to keep a speed limit of 5 kmph, above which the touch-features of the dashboard will be disabled. Also, during the ride, we will display only the information that is relevant to the rider at that point (such as speed, next turn info etc.)

Acceleration Vs. Range

We have not limited the S340’s acceleration for the sake of range. This is a choice that a user can make. In the sport mode, he/she can experience a higher acceleration, but at the cost of range and it's vice versa in economy mode.

Dashboard weather resistance

The screen is IP 65 rated with respect to dust and water entry conditions. With respect to temperature, it is rated for more extreme conditions than what is found in most parts of India.

Battery Swapping

We have designed the battery pack to be easily swappable at an Ather service station, but not by the users directly since we see a limited application for that. Considering the weight of the battery, we do not foresee users handling the battery themselves.

4 Wheeler, other applications and exports

It’s a little too early to comment on these.

Solar Charging Body Panels

Solar charging body panels is not a feature that we would be a part of the S340 today. The current efficiencies are not adequate for this, especially on the S340. Might make sense at an efficiency north of 50%+.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks