Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

This is a superb launch. EVs are the way forward. Great to see this scooter incorporating Lithium ion batteries. Yes, the range of 60 km is indeed less. Maybe there would be a low speed mode which would restrict speed and give a better range. I am purely speculating. If 60 is max range, then it is indeed on the lower side.

I hope they succeed in their endeavour. Pricing will still remain the key factor. If they price it significantly higher than petrol scooters, then their job will become difficult. Hope the FAME subsidy helps to keep the final price in check.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:54   #32
BHPian

Excellent work and futuristic design. The smart console looks cool. A good option as a second 2-wheeler considering the range it currently has.

While it has been a great work wonder why they have 60kms as max range when it is a ground up design. Being in bangalore 15-20 kms one way for anywhere is pretty normal and many of us travel 30-35 kms one way for work/meet ups etc. Maybe they should have a battery conserve mode with lower speed (50-60kms/hr) which can increase the range to 80-90

Wondering, where will an owner charge when on road, the facilities or the option of finding charging point in normal parking place is far and few.

Pricing will be the key.

Good luck and well done.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:55   #33
BHPian

Super excited by this launch .

I am also proud that a member of my family is part of Ather development team.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th February 2016 at 13:05. Reason: Typo.
Old 25th February 2016, 12:29   #34
BHPian

Oh finally!

I know somebody who is working at Ather Energy. I can say that he definitely put in a lot of effort for this.

With most of the manufacturers going green, I think they have done a good job of introducing an electric scooter.

Another noobish question, Will having the S340 app in mobile help in case of a theft? I am sure they must have thought of such a possibility or they must have incorporated it.

I wish the whole team success.
Old 25th February 2016, 14:01   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yes, the range of 60 km is indeed less. Maybe there would be a low speed mode which would restrict speed and give a better range. I am purely speculating. If 60 is max range, then it is indeed on the lower side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post

While it has been a great work wonder why they have 60kms as max range when it is a ground up design. Being in bangalore 15-20 kms one way for anywhere is pretty normal and many of us travel 30-35 kms one way for work/meet ups etc. Maybe they should have a battery conserve mode with lower speed (50-60kms/hr) which can increase the range to 80-90.
According to Ather Energy, at 40km/hr the range will be 80km(This range is at 40km/hr constant speed).But for city driving conditions they quote a 60km range .

Last edited by aim120 : 25th February 2016 at 14:02.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 15:01   #36
BHPian

This is great. I've driven electric some electric scooters, but with such support available at hand, it will be a no brainer. Other electric scooter manufacturers (mainly Hero), would have to follow suit with such service.
Old 25th February 2016, 17:37   #37

Hi Samurai,

I have one question, is the product in final production form? If yes it is a very clean and minimalistic design. Very impressive!

To me the most important parameter to gauge the scooter will be its 0 to 50 acceleration time. If this is similar to Activa 110 (as a benchmark) the product is a fantastic city commuter. The current electric scooters are handicapped at this.

My other issue is battery discharge effecting range. I hope the range is not acutely affected by usage pattern. Ex: Long breaks (parking in office) between rides can discharge batteries and reduce the range.

In general I dislike EVs, the battery technology is inefficient. I vote for Hyderogen.
Old 25th February 2016, 18:30   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicallyme View Post
Hi Samurai,

I have one question, is the product in final production form? If yes it is a very clean and minimalistic design. Very impressive!

To me the most important parameter to gauge the scooter will be its 0 to 50 acceleration time. If this is similar to Activa 110 (as a benchmark) the product is a fantastic city commuter. The current electric scooters are handicapped at this.

My other issue is battery discharge effecting range. I hope the range is not acutely affected by usage pattern. Ex: Long breaks (parking in office) between rides can discharge batteries and reduce the range.

In general I dislike EVs, the battery technology is inefficient. I vote for Hyderogen.
It takes less then a second longer to hit 60 ,then a 109cc activa .But because it has a electric motor (which means full torque is available from the beginning of rev range) ,it should pull away faster from stand still.
The lack of a CVT transmission will also have a effect on acceleration especially at higher speed and hence will also have a top speed lower then that of 109cc activa.

But then ,how often will one go past 60km/hr on a scooter within city limits.

Battery doesn't discharge as fast those lead acid battery powered ones,it has the same self discharge rate as your laptop battery or any other li-on battery.

Last edited by aim120 : 25th February 2016 at 18:41.
Old 25th February 2016, 18:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

I always thought its the two wheelers that need to go electric for our country since they form a big percentage. Great effort and looks really good.

I would have liked to have a bike kind of two wheeler for stability than a scooter.
Old 25th February 2016, 18:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since the pattern of rain drops is highly predictable, such input can be filtered out by the software.
Thanks a lot for the reply! Makes sense. But wouldn't the first drop still create issues! Or even if a few drops remain after the rain.

Of course, none of these take away the functionality of having a proper screen, it's just my curiosity at play here. So big thumbs up to the aether guys! Hope all bikes soon start having full fledged screens connected to our smart phones!
Old 25th February 2016, 20:20   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply! Makes sense. But wouldn't the first drop still create issues! Or even if a few drops remain after the rain.
Well, it also depends on the type of touch screen. If it is a capacitive touch screen like most smartphones, it will require human finger touching and passing the current.

But I recall one of them saying it works even with gloves, so I am not sure what kind of touch screen they are using.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 20:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Couple of questions:-
Regenerative braking?
Panels:- metal, (injection moulded) plastics, or FRP?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th February 2016, 20:48   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have one question, is the product in final production form?
The production hasn't started, which means some things may change.

Quote:
Right now the most powerful EV scooter in India is powered by 800W I think, but the S340 is powered by 3KW. So your concern may have been addressed. We'll have to await the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Couple of questions:-
Regenerative braking?
Panels:- metal, (injection moulded) plastics, or FRP?
No Regenerative braking, the body is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) lightweight plastic.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 21:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

If the founders are convinced that they have built a better mousetrap (I mean the battery, not the scooter), I hope they have taken patent protection in the first world.
In fact it would make far better commercial sense to take/ sell their battery in the developed countries.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th February 2016, 23:19   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If the founders are convinced that they have built a better mousetrap (I mean the battery, not the scooter), I hope they have taken patent protection in the first world.
In fact it would make far better commercial sense to take/ sell their battery in the developed countries.

Regards
Sutripta
Check out the patents filed by the founders Swapnil Jain and Tarun Mehta. Electric Bike batteries is listed as patents filed by the duo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed